• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bregt wrote
    Video of his drumming
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-835YrAArA

But, did anyone recognise the tune? rolleyes wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    Maybe it's from the upcoming EAGLE EYE score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. The tags say Fast and the Furious... Some rhythms do have something in common with the arrangement of Neela Drifts, though that one is not half as complex.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Video of his drumming

Not bad, not bad at all!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The tags say Fast and the Furious... Some rhythms do have something in common with the arrangement of Neela Drifts, though that one is not half as complex.

Yeah, i believe that nothing in FAST AND THE FURIOUS : TOKYO DRIFT was as complex as this, if the tag is true, maybe it's a part of the score that didn't make it to the final / cut or the movie in the end, or a demo or something? I SO wish it is from EAGLE EYE though!
  3. Maybe it was Tyler practicing before the sessions! He clearly states that it's BEFORE a recording session.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe it was Tyler practicing before the sessions! He clearly states that it's BEFORE a recording session.

It looks EXACTLY like a drummer bumming around before a proper recording, I've seen this many times!

As I said Tyler's pretty good at it too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    Video of his drumming

Man, I need to get my own kit. I miss playing sooooooooooooooo much!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    I can't say I've really seen a drummer close up, but that looked like in-humanely fast drumming to me! shocked punk
  4. I think Eagle Eye will be another Tyler energy rhythm packer, but the movie looks to be awesome, I like when movies pick the pace and continue to keep it going (let it be as relentless as Die Hard with a Vengeance and Transformers in its pace) punk

Now I only wish the score is as thematic as it will be rhythmic
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    Rhythmic is sure to be, thematic as well. God i LOVE Tyler, you always know what to expect wink

The movie looks good as well, the trailer showcased a tight film. We'll see.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Rhythmic is sure to be, thematic as well. God i LOVE Tyler, you always know what to expect wink

The movie looks good as well, the trailer showcased a tight film. We'll see.

I don't know, I hope so but stuff like his action music of the past few years has been more rhythmic than melodic, for me he still has to compose a great action score, melodic of content and rhythmic of pace
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

It's been odd recently. A few weeks ago, I was browsing IMDB for movies that might interest me, and when I came across Eagle Eye and Bangkok Dangerous I immediately thought "these just sound like Brian Tyler movies!"...lo and behold, what do I find when I go to the credits! punk
  6. New project for Brian Tyler according to Gorfaine/Schwartz:

Final Destination 4: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144884/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for Brian Tyler according to Gorfaine/Schwartz:

Final Destination 4: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1144884/

Wow, does Tyler never sleeps or what? Not that I don´t like seeing him attached to new projects, but maybe a little rest wouldn´t harm him.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    Jesus, he has well and truly gone down the toilet after such a promising start to his career. With most composers I start off sceptical even when others are showering them with praise, but eventually warm up to the good ones. With Tyler I liked him straight away - and he's ended up being one of the great disappointments with the crap films he's scored, mostly with the most blatant temp-track lifts you'll ever hear. What a shame.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I can't say I've really seen a drummer close up, but that looked like in-humanely fast drumming to me! shocked punk

He's very good but believe me there's plenty out there that can do as good and better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall has made a very good point here; although since we are talking about BRIAN TYLER, i wouldn't worry too much 'cause he has delivered very good scores on very crappy films for years.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Whatever your opinion is on Brian, I think we can agree that he's worth more than scoring Final Destination 4... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    msi2 wrote
    Whatever your opinion is on Brian, I think we can agree that he's worth more than scoring Final Destination 4... slant

True. But then to be fair, so would my 5 year old nephew.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    To be fair, i don't think that the vast majority of the current Hollywood flicks are any better than Final Destination 4.

Which one was it? Rambo? Tokyo Drift? AVPR? WAR? PaparazzI? Godsend? Same bull each time, great scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with all that apart from the last two words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And I'm sure Demetris agrees with that apart from the last 6 words! biggrin (I can see this turning into an infinite regression.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    Let's see it this way: Tyler is now getting the scores his talent deserves. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Perhaps I can find another way of saying what I tried to before - when he first really appeared on the scene, with things like The Hunted, Darkness Falls and Timeline (not so much Children of Dune, which I always found overrated), I found myself frequently trying to defend him against what I considered to be unwarranted criticism, particularly from Goldsmith fans who were pissed off at him for scoring Timeline (slightly odd since I'm such a Goldsmith freak myself). But I'm afraid the plus points he built up with me thanks to those early scores have now all been cancelled out by the dross he has churned out over the past couple of years - particularly the extreme temp-track lifts like The Greatest Game Ever Played and War, which are at the Tyler Bates / 300 level of "inspiration". And even when he writes things that are reasonably good, like Rambo and AVPR, he spoils them because the albums are produced in ways that makes the scores extremely hard to enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Quite frankly, if you want bad-ass action music, you go to Brian Tyler. I don't expect or need anything more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Perhaps I can find another way of saying what I tried to before - when he first really appeared on the scene, with things like The Hunted, Darkness Falls and Timeline (not so much Children of Dune, which I always found overrated), I found myself frequently trying to defend him against what I considered to be unwarranted criticism, particularly from Goldsmith fans who were pissed off at him for scoring Timeline (slightly odd since I'm such a Goldsmith freak myself). But I'm afraid the plus points he built up with me thanks to those early scores have now all been cancelled out by the dross he has churned out over the past couple of years - particularly the extreme temp-track lifts like The Greatest Game Ever Played and War, which are at the Tyler Bates / 300 level of "inspiration". And even when he writes things that are reasonably good, like Rambo and AVPR, he spoils them because the albums are produced in ways that makes the scores extremely hard to enjoy.

But that's another issue, it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of films he gets assigned to smile

As for the points you raise, i'd argue that in a wider field dressed with temp-track love and general lack of inspiration and originality, when it comes to the output of HOLLYWOOD film music and US-based composers - with little exceptions, Brian Tyler is lots of steps above the vast majority; even under those circumstances and strong (i'll give you that) temp track influences, his scores are honestly fan, bad-ass, large-scale, exciting, ballsy and hugely effective whilst at the same time, a lot (if not al) of his equally-young colleagues come along as deadly boring most of the times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    I'd rather have Tyler than a Zimmer-clone, no doubt - but then I'd think people like Beltrami, Don Davis or Giacchino would be in a similar price bracket to him (Davis, probably cheaper), and never resort to simple temp-track lifting, so I'd rather hear them do some of this stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008 edited
    I personally LOVE his wild score for Darkness Falls, its aggresive and bold. I too, was disappointed with the AVP2 / Rambo scores... on the other hand the "score" for Finishing the Game was a real pleasant suprise. Its actually not a real score... its more like a compilation of some cool seventies disco/rock tracks. Its a very fun listen. Especially the first few tracks. (as in most cases with his albums) Anyway, I am pretty sure he will write some good work in the years to come. He can do it, a bit more maturing and writing more defined and less hectic compositions... and it will be o.k.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Jesus, he has well and truly gone down the toilet after such a promising start to his career. With most composers I start off sceptical even when others are showering them with praise, but eventually warm up to the good ones. With Tyler I liked him straight away - and he's ended up being one of the great disappointments with the crap films he's scored, mostly with the most blatant temp-track lifts you'll ever hear. What a shame.

Why all the negativity? He might pull something out for FD 4 like he did for AVP 2 (which ABSOLUTELY rocked!). Besides, maybe he can give the score a more orchestral edge than the late Shirley Walker did with the first three films.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog