• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Aren't the War sessions the ones where the orchestra accidentally played music from the Bourne scores?

I wish people would stop comparing things to the Bourne scores. Apart from things like HGW's Deja Vu, virtually nothing sounds like a Bourne score. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, didn't you know? String ostinati have been long trademarked on Powell!

Wait, i said ostinati. Now i gotta pay loyalties! Double loyalties!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. He might love working on them. I remember that on Facebook he mentioned being particularly proud of Eagle Eye.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Enough of this! I'm off to see Eagle Eye.

Good bye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, didn't you know? String ostinati have been long trademarked on Powell!

There's a lot more to it than that as you obviously know. In terms of making one score sound entirely like another one it's about as blatant as anyone's got in recent times.

Just listening to Eagle Eye at the moment. If only it were 45-50 minutes shorter the album would be absolutely fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Just listening to Eagle Eye at the moment. If only it were 45-50 minutes shorter the album would be absolutely fantastic.

A classic 27 minute Varese un-deluxe edition?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Yeah, these ostinati are rather specific in Bourne, I can see an inspiration in Eagle Eye. To be true, I haven't heard War for quite a while, will do that after Matrix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

That's what it needs!

I think it's one of the big reasons I've gone off Tyler. I wonder if things like this and Bangkok Dangerous are really that much poorer than The Hunted and Darkness Falls, or if it just seems that way because of the bizarre way the albums are put together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

That's what it needs!

Well, for presentation purposes.. sure. But these 70 minutes releases just goes to show how weak his overall scores are. I mentioned this before, but truly great scores can be played from start to finish in their complete form or for longer playing times and never get dull or boring. What does this say about Tyler's music and his scores?

So, while a shorter release would make the presentation much more interesting and listenable on CD I prefer the longer releases so I can get an idea of how the score develops and whether all the music is good or only just a few selected cues. Those shorter releases are a little deceiving.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Yeah, Matrix is an example of what Erik says, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, Matrix is an example of what Erik says, really.

Oh boy was that release ever needed! What a superb score from start to finish. All the Matrix albums in complete form play perfectly!

-Erik-
  4. Yes, actually NP.

I need one source to check out and I will know basically everything about the score's inspirations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aren't you always talking about editing our own playlists out of longer albums (Which btw i fully support), Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Damn I´ve missed the Tyler party too! cry
    You guys have started posting while I was away haven´t you? crazy wink
    Well, at least an interesting amount of posts! I love this forum kiss punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Who doesn't love it, Marcel? I'd love that you elaborate on some of the arguments we've been giving here!

Where were you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Aren't you always talking about editing our own playlists out of longer albums (Which btw i fully support), Erik?

Yes, but as concert arrangement. I edit them down as I would like to hear them in concert. Taking all of my favorite moments and mashing them into a nice 7:30 minutes suite. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to the complete The Rocketeer album... but I also friggin' adore my 8 minute concert suite! Sometime I only want to hear 8 minutes and move onto something else. I love to create compilations.

As for making iTunes playlists... again, some times I only want to hear 15-20 minuites of music from a selected score. For instance, I only want to hear selected highlights from all of my favorite scores from the 2000's and want to hear them in one sitting. I wouldn't be able to do that by listening to complete albums so I trim them down. Also, having a 2CD complete set of something like Godzilla gives me the opportunity to selected music from the entire score into something shorter if I so wish. BTW, the 2CD Godzilla plays brilliantly from start to finish!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I'm a nutter for completion. I want to hear what a score has to offer in its entirety, for better or for worse. If a composer is constantly commissioned to write super-long scores but doesn't have the knack to make the appeal sustain throughout the duration of the whole thing, like Tyler, then I want to know that. That's why I consider myself a big fan of his, but I'm cautious of his ability (or disability) to write long interesting scores.

On the other hand, if I'm being treated to a score album showing me only the best 30 minutes of a Graeme Revell or Bruce Broughton or Thomas Newman score (I'm gonna get crucified for this), then that's not fair. I deserve to know that the score it its entirety loses steam over time. I can't honestly consider myself a fan of that composer when only 10% of their scores are to my liking. I need to hear the whole thing to determine that.

And when a truly great composer like Arnold or Horner or Davis comes along to write super-long scores that are fun to start to finish, only a complete score presentation can show us that, too. And what a feat it is when that happens!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Again I ask:

Why are so many people bitching about albums being too long? JUST SKIP THE TRACKS YOU DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO!! crazy

Jeez. If it was 30 minutes long, I'm positive you'd all be complaining it wasn't long enough. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Again I ask:

Why are so many people bitching about albums being too long? JUST SKIP THE TRACKS YOU DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO!! crazy

Jeez. If it was 30 minutes long, I'm positive you'd all be complaining it wasn't long enough. rolleyes

Very true!

You know... IMHO, the perfect length that would satisfy most who want a great "listening" experience would be about 50 minutes. Now, of course, there are some scores that play extremely well at 80 minutes or longer but for the most part you can get an idea of how a score works in a 50 minute running time. Agree/Disagree.

BTW, I still stand by the more, the better... even if the score stinks!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Anthony wrote
    Again I ask:

I can't though. I never pop in a disc just to listen to my favourite tracks. Otherwise how will the other tracks ever grow on me? In the hopes that I'll grow fond of a score in its entirety, I always listen to the entire thing. It has happened often enough for me, and it's a magical feeling when stuff you didn't care about suddenly becomes brilliant.

And if it never happens for certain scores (like Black Hawk Down, sorry), then the score remains what it is: a long stretched out work with a few great moments. Which is better than a short, average score, IMO.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Again I ask:

I'll never be able to listen to (say) Eagle Eye enough to come up with a reasonable playlist. The thing's 80 minutes long for God's sake. It's average, extremely repetitive music which blatantly can't sustain itself for 80 minutes. It might work brilliantly as a film score, but it doesn't work in this way as an album. It's the job of the album producer to select the best possible album. If the rest of the music is added as bonus tracks, who could have a problem with that? Certainly not me.

Some scores deserve 80 minute albums, some deserve even longer than that, but some only deserve 30 minutes. I don't see the point in setting some arbitrary length and saying that's the ideal length for every score, because each one is different. But setting it at 80 minutes is just as bad as setting it at 30 minutes. Tyler does himself no favours with these super-long albums.

I know the current, mostly American, view of all things in life is that more is always better, but it isn't. It really isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Southall wrote
    I know the current, mostly American, view of all things in life is that more is always better, but it isn't. It really isn't.

I really, truly agree on this last statement, but we wouldn't be faced with this conundrum if composers always came up with 80 minutes of brilliant perfectly listenable music in the first place, would we? They just have to keep trying harder I guess! wave
  6. Apparently, Tyler will be scoring Battle: Los Angeles coming out in 2010: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217613/

Source: New audio interview at www.scorenotes.com
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    I still don't get it. You guys are saying you can't even be bothered to listen to something to find all the bits you like. Sorry, but that's just being lazy. After two listens to Eagle Eye I knew exactly what would make my playlist.

If you think it's repetitive noise, then you clearly don't like the score, so disregard it and play something else. But don't complain about there being too much music on an album. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    or Thomas Newman score (I'm gonna get crucified for this)

You aren't going to get that, at least from me. I think the THOMAS NEWMAN scores in their vast majority - sadly, and with very few exceptions, are some of the worst ever realizations of film music on CD. Brilliant music lots of it as it might truly be, it gets completely slaughtered on CD as a listening experience through the horrendously slaughtering editing on short fragments rather than actual pieces with a meaningful form and existence. Funny thing is that some Newman specific fans will come down in parades and tell you that you don't get the genius behind those 52 seconds of....music.

I love Newman but that whole listening experience on CD - cause you might argue as much as you want to and feel like, but in the end - no matter how much i liked a film or not, what stays with me forever is the CD - is 90% disturbing and certainly unfulfilling. Especially during the last couple of years, after the Good German when all of his recent scores feel a bit 'outta there' and certainly largely departed from his older brilliance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I still don't get it. You guys are saying you can't even be bothered to listen to something to find all the bits you like. Sorry, but that's just being lazy. After two listens to Eagle Eye I knew exactly what would make my playlist.

If you think it's repetitive noise, then you clearly don't like the score, so disregard it and play something else. But don't complain about there being too much music on an album. cool

Eagle EYE is 90% better than the average crap we get today and it's in fact a very good MODERN FILM SCORE. Whether you like the turn of things today or not, i can't feel of a single reason except plain stubborness that someone who is a film music lover wouldn't even want to give a chance to.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Eagle EYE is 90% better than the average crap we get today and it's in fact a very good MODERN FILM SCORE. Whether you like the turn of things today or not, i can't feel of a single reason except plain stubborness that someone who is a film music lover wouldn't even want to give a chance to.

Thank you! beer

And guess what - I just got back from the movie and we HAVE all the music I could possibly want from it, and more! If the CD were half the length, I'd be pissed right now! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

BTW, I still stand by the more, the better... even if the score stinks!

-Erik-

Only you seem to filter its validity only on things you like. kiss tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

If the album was 30 minutes long then there'd be no problem. It would be a good album.

Imagine what Star Wars would be like if it was just "Battle of Yavin" repeated over and over again. That's what Eagle Eye is like. The music's good, but there's not enough variation to sustain such a long album, so why would I ever want to listen to it? It's BORING! At 30 minutes it could be pure dynamite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Imagine what Star Wars would be like if it was just "Battle of Yavin" repeated over and over again.

But Star Wars ISN'T just the Battle of Yavin over and over again. If it was then there would be a problem.

Southall wrote
    That's what Eagle Eye is like. The music's good, but there's not enough variation to sustain such a long album, so why would I ever want to listen to it?

EXACTLY. If you didn't have this 70 minute album you wouldn't have said that. This is what separates a score like Star Wars from Eagle Eye. Like I said, an album with just 30 minutes of good music from a score that it 120 minute where 90 minutes of it is crud is deceiving.

Anyway, this all comes down to personal preference. Some people could care less about how the score works in the film and whether or not they have all of the music on CD. Guys like James are after the best listening experience and if a composer can deliver a solid 30 minutes of music from a 120 minute score and release only those 30 minutes then he is happy.

Me on the other hand wants the chance to evaluate as much of the music as possible so I can better evaluate the composer and his abilities to create a solid and interesting complete score from start to finish. 30 minutes of brilliance in a 120 minute score just isn't good enough.

-Erik-