• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    But surely that's not a proper comparison?
    There are few scores that don't carry (at least) 30 minutes of inspired scoring...it's exactly in the expansion where their mettle is tested.

Obviously the likes of Star Wars can overcome that challenge with flying colours, but how many scores can boast the same? I'm sure I can distill 15- 25 minutes of worthwhile listening from Eagle Eye...but no more than that!

I guess I'm with James as far as this is concerned: if this had been an old-time Varese release of 33 minutes, it may well have skewed my -currently rather negative- opinion towards the positive!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    why do so many people bash film scores? why don't they just enjoy it for what it is? why do they expect it to resemble a sound a previous composer's score sounded like. I enjoy all of Brian's scores. I have all of them on cd. I don't criticize his music at all i just enjoy it. now i am beginning to understand why he stays away from various boards. because of all the bashing and negative feedback.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I guess I'm with James as far as this is concerned: if this had been an old-time Varese release of 33 minutes, it may well have skewed my -currently rather negative- opinion towards the positive!

Again, we go back to the point of taking what we like and extracting it into a shorter playlist. Sure, it's a little work but at least YOU dictate what YOU want to hear instead of a producer dictating what you hear going by his or her preferences. I like having that choice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WDWGuy08 wrote
    why do so many people bash film scores? why don't they just enjoy it for what it is? why do they expect it to resemble a sound a previous composer's score sounded like. I enjoy all of Brian's scores. I have all of them on cd. I don't criticize his music at all i just enjoy it. now i am beginning to understand why he stays away from various boards. because of all the bashing and negative feedback.

It's all personal preference. You enjoy ALL of Tyler's scores and that's wonderful! However, there are some here that don't like them and want to voice there displeasure. It's what makes this board and some of the other boards interesting. If we all just sat back a said NOTHING then there would be no point of film music message boards. BTW, there is a lot of praise for other composers in various thread on this message board as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008 edited
    thanks erik for clearing that up i'm much obliged to ya!
  1. Christodoulides wrote

I love Newman but that whole listening experience on CD - cause you might argue as much as you want to and feel like, but in the end - no matter how much i liked a film or not, what stays with me forever is the CD - is 90% disturbing and certainly unfulfilling. Especially during the last couple of years, after the Good German when all of his recent scores feel a bit 'outta there' and certainly largely departed from his older brilliance.

How many Thomas Newman albums have there been since THE GOOD GERMAN?
    Wall-E?
    And Towelhead? (Which most people haven't heard, because the 14 minute score isn't on CD)
    And yet, we can speak of 'all of his recent scores' since THE GOOD GERMAN?
    All TWO of them? Three if you count LITTLE CHILDREN, which came before.
    My my. I sense an impression in search of an argument, Demetris. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know what i mean Michael, It's been ages since i last heard something in the league of ROAD TO PERDITION, AMERICAN BEAUTY or MEET JOE BLACK just to name a few. With the exception of (some parts, imo) of the Good German, the rest bears only a few highlights in each score which are then heavily buried in tons of fragmented underscore on Cd.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    You know what i mean Michael...

On the internet, it's always hard to make out the difference between what a person means and what they actually say. wink

But I will say this, the person who favours any of Brian Tyler's recent scores other than BUG over any recent Thomas Newman score is attuned to some aspect of composition that is foreign to my ears. I'm rather glad I don't know whatever that person knows! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    You know what i mean Michael...

On the internet, it's always hard to make out the difference between what a person means and what they actually say. wink

Actually, it's quite simple. You just have to get the right combination of smilies. rolleyes tongue biggrin beer

(for example, that meant - I know better than you, but I'm only joking, lols, and have a beer to make up for it.) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So you wouldn't acknowledge a general decline in Newman's scoring in comparison with the afore-mentioned (and not limited to, of course) work of his? I.e. his last 5 years (or more) outcome in comparison with the pre 2003 period?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    So you wouldn't acknowledge a general decline in Newman's scoring in comparison with the afore-mentioned (and not limited to, of course) work of his? I.e. his last 5 years (or more) outcome in comparison with the pre 2003 period?

There are lot of variables in play in such a discussion, and we'd be better to do it in the Thomas Newman thread. In essence though, I think he's as strong as he ever was. I remember JARHEAD had me a bit worried (ironically, one of his favourites among his own works), but everything since has impressed me. He's not always doing films that call for the warm orchestral Americana that made him popular (e.g. MEET JOE BLACK and SHAWSHANK), and I think it's just as well that that's the case, as I think CINDERELLA MAN showed that he can only do so much of that style before starting to sound a little too much like himself. Variety is the grist of a good film composer's mill, and among Americans, Thomas Newman is one of the greats.
    • CommentAuthormixolydian
    WDWGuy08 wrote

As far as I'm concerned it's not about resemble sounds and other composer's work. I pretty much like his sound and what Brian got out of his style. His sound and his compositions he did for Partition, Greatest Game, Darkness Falls and such stuff made me a fan. But with that action thingy stuff I'm missing variation as a whole, as it was mentioned before it sounds more related to repetitive rock/metal stuff. That's all. ...If you like that stuff I'm fine with it, I wouldn't say it's crap, hell no.

Christodoulides wrote

Like the solo guitar vs the riffs of the rhythmic guitar when it comes to Rock and Metal music; everything changes with time.

Yes. But a little further I believe a 'common' listener never cares if there are guitar solos or not. I never heared people say they don't like a rock song because of its guitar solo. And for that reason it makes no sence to pull out guitar solos to wash away an interesting side of this kind of music. That said I don't get it why we need 'orchestral metal' when we can have 'swashbuckling chord progressions'.
  4. But Tyler doesn't use those progressions. I think the key of Tyler's popularity lies in the RHYTHM anyway, not the guitar solos themselves. He does seem at times to be a modernized and better orchestrated version of the MV style, but the dense arrangements and complexity ALSO may come from metal music, which is instrumentally often very complex.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You didn't get my point. I wasn't literally talking about guitar soli in film music, i was comparing the difference in the past's more refined and complex rock / metal music whilst during the last 10 years it's loud, simple, and heavily rhythmic with the melody that was previously carried by the guitar soli, now completely absent in favor of the rhythm. Make your comparisons with film music of the past and of today.
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But Tyler doesn't use those progressions. I think the key of Tyler's popularity lies in the RHYTHM anyway, not the guitar solos themselves. He does seem at times to be a modernized and better orchestrated version of the MV style, but the dense arrangements and complexity ALSO may come from metal music, which is instrumentally often very complex.

Makes sence.
    Christodoulides wrote
    You didn't get my point. I wasn't literally talking about guitar soli in film music, i was comparing the difference in the past's more refined and complex rock / metal music whilst during the last 10 years it's loud, simple, and heavily rhythmic with the melody that was previously carried by the guitar soli, now completely absent in favor of the rhythm. Make your comparisons with film music of the past and of today.

No, I never talked about guitar soli in film music, who needs that?! LOL I got your stand point very well. As I wrote about that solo stuff I just meant rock music and not soundtracks. Sorry for the confusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm still amazed to see these looooooong threads on composers like Tyler, Powell, Giacchino etc. here, with bustling activity each day. Don't get me wrong, I like much of their work too and I'm one of the biggest proponents of contemporary film music, it's just interesting to note the proportionally little activity on the oldtimers. I wonder if there are members here who listen to music composed before 1977?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    New times belong to the new timers, for good or for bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I wonder if there are members here who listen to music composed before 1977?

rolleyes sleep

Is this Thor or Tom speaking?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    New times belong to the new timers, for good or for bad.

That's true. I'm just 30 years old (31 in a month), but that apparently makes me an oldtimer here, since I like both old and new with equal gusto. A new sensation, for sure! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're just 5 years older than me and i don't feel the slightest an old-timer wink
  5. Tyler is much more popular today than, say, Alfred Newman (a great composer) and Williams isn't so active as he was years ago. We must take that into account.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Actually this is a forum of young (or very young) people, I mean people in his early twenties - early forties aprox. So as much as a lot of the members love the pre 1977 music, we tend to focus our attention to the 70´s, 80´s, 90´s and post 2000 film composers. But I´ve seen long posts related to the Golden Age composers; not so many weeks ago, there was a great debate regarding the new "El Cid" release for example.
    You are right though, 80% of the time we are talking of more modern film composers. Quoting Demetris, "New times belong to the new timers". wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I wonder if there are members here who listen to music composed before 1977?

But why would we want to listen to old stuff? Jeez.
  6. I actually do listen to pre-1977 stuff myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    You are right though, 80% of the time we are talking of more modern film composers. Quoting Demetris, "New times belong to the new timers". wink

I think the reason most of the conversations go to more modern day scores is because we are more interesting in what's new as in new releases than discussing older scores releases years ago. There is nothing really wrong with that... current topics usually get more attention but I do hope that these younger film music fans start to embrace the Golden Age because it will give them a better understanding of where film music came from, how it has evolved and so on. Plus, I'm sure some of the younger crowd that haven't heard anything pre-1977 will be surprised by the quality of music written back in the day.

Look, I was once a young, noob film music fan who only was interesting in the new. But then one day I purchased a Charles Gerhardt album and my love for the Golden Age was born! A whole new world was opened for me.

-Erik-
  7. I can talk about my own experience with Golden Age and one of our reviewers'. I was born in 1984, Marek is two-three years younger.

In my case it was accidentally getting Ben Hur and liking it, then I kinda neglected Golden Age, until I discovered Bernard Herrmann (mostly in context, then amazed by his complexity on album) and one Alfred Newman (though post Golden-Age score).

Marek hooked up thanks to hearing El Cid's Love Theme (I think it was that piece, I am sure that it was this score) on an internet radio, which was an amazing experience to him and had a lot of importance to his tastes as a listener and reviewer.

Yes, Golden Age may be appealing even to modern music fans, example of which would be me and Jordi (he loves Herrmann!). Also there are still some old-fashioned scores, which do update the sound in some way (mostly rhythmic).

I guess that it has to be also never forgotten that Williams' most popular scores in the post-1977 years and the 1980s are VERY inspired by Golden Age, namely Star Wars and the Indiana Jones trilogies (all of them owing a lot to swashbuckling sound of Korngold and sometimes Alfred Newman in the more religious sound). Never going to direct rip-offs, but still the influence is important - like the similarity between Marion's Theme and the slower theme from The Sea Hawk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, Golden Age may be appealing even to modern music fans, example of which would be me and Jordi (he loves Herrmann!). Also there are still some old-fashioned scores, which do update the sound in some way (mostly rhythmic).

That's great, Pawel, but as we've talked about before - Herrmann is NOT really Golden Age!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's great, Pawel, but as we've talked about before - Herrmann is NOT really Golden Age!

His film career started in 1941 which was the Golden Age. Yes, he progressed into the Silver Age but for 20 years or so he was composing in the Golden Age.

I mean, Miklos Rozsa was writing up until 1982... but is he not considered a Golden Age composer?

-Erik-
  8. Yes, I would say that Golden Age is a historical term rather than a specific paradigm. That would e.g. mean that Cutthroat Island or even Mask of Zorre are Golden Age scores, which I can't agree with.