• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Well after listening to AVPR finally, it's quite evident Brian Tyler was successful in blowing up the Hollywood Studio Symphony. That score was nuts. punk

Indeed.

Marcel mate, i don't have the time and appetite to go into this discussion here again, i will express what i want to say about the score in my soon-to-be-published review smile Stay tuned
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. His name is Andrzej Szachowski. I could check what he likes. but he seemingly loves Lost, War of the Worlds.

Santaloalla scoring AVP 2. I imagine the headlines:

"SANTALOALLA SCORES ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM

Gustavo Santaloalla decided to double his ensemble to underscore the epic character of the new Apocalyptic horror directed by The Strause Brothers. For the first time he will use 12 guitars, a string section, a drum set and a solo trombone.

"I'm particularly excited by the possibility of writing for a trombone", says Santaloalla, "this instrument is capable of doing really fun effects, which I discovered when I gave one to my three years old son. The best idea I can credit him for is banging a snare with the trombone, great sound. I got a very good soloist, who would perform the parts, which is Mexico most famous player - Alejandro Freir-Esparagges"

The Strause Brothers are very happy of hiring Santaloalla for their newest film. "We loved all work Gustavo has done in his career. It's very captivating and emotional. His guitar solos in Babel and the way he uses Iguazu in every score he does is just amazing. You know we have this great scene where we chestburst a 10-year-old kid and Iguazu fits the emotions of it really amazingly."

(all the PR information about Santaloalla and a paragraph below - the film)"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Well after listening to AVPR finally, it's quite evident Brian Tyler was successful in blowing up the Hollywood Studio Symphony. That score was nuts. punk

Indeed.

Marcel mate, i don't have the time and appetite to go into this discussion here again, i will express what i want to say about the score in my soon-to-be-published review smile Stay tuned

Glad you liked it Anthony!

And Demetris, I´m really waiting for your review.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    His name is Andrzej Szachowski. I could check what he likes. but he seemingly loves Lost, War of the Worlds.

Thanks!

PawelStroinski wrote
    Gustavo Santaloalla decided to double his ensemble to underscore the epic character of the new Apocalyptic horror directed by The Strause Brothers. For the first time he will use 12 guitars, a string section, a drum set and a solo trombone.

LOL!
    That one is great Pawel! beer

PawelStroinski wrote
    I got a very good soloist, who would perform the parts, which is Mexico most famous player - Alejandro Freir-Esparagges"

Hehe...somebody has notions of spanish here (but would be better "Alejandro Freir Espárragos") biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The argument that Tyler is responsible for "killing" film music is actually quite popular in Polish community.

What community is that? Is there a big Polish film music community somewhere eagerly debating the merits of Brian Tyler (of all people)?!?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I mean in general. Tyler is rather not liked by Polish film score reviewers and I haven't heard many positive opinions presented by listeners.

His organic qualities are rather respected, but his temp-track love is I'd say persecuted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I mean in general. Tyler is rather not liked by Polish film score reviewers and I haven't heard many positive opinions presented by listeners.

So there are Polish film score reviewers? What magazine do they write for? Is it a national magazine or a Polish film music website of some sort? I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but the thought of a thriving Polish film music community (either off or online) is more interesting to me than Brian Tyler, to which I have no relationship whatsoever.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well at least Gustavo hasn't been up to anything recently. For the first time in 3 years a worthy composer might be able to win an Oscar...
  3. There was a magazine, but very short-lived. We have three major websites at the moment, the two of them boasting over 700 reviews - soundtracks.pl and filmmusic.pl. I write reviews for filmmusic.pl, with 815 reviews since today. Muzykafilmowa.pl, from which the review was translated, is another one, though I must admit I am not sure how many reviews they have at the moment.

Film review websites and magazines review soundtracks but except worthy mentions, they aren't really very good. Film.org.pl has a particularly decent score review division. For example one of more popular film magazines reviewed Signs as another of that crappy illustrative music. Well, that's the level there.

I guess that the community is developing, mostly around known composers though. Our website has a history of promoting unknown Italian and French composers, muzykafilmowa is probably the only one regularly reviewing MovieScoreMedia's stuff, though only recently I applied for promos there.

Generally it's not a very big community yet, but we have one, growing,
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Well at least Gustavo hasn't been up to anything recently. For the first time in 3 years a worthy composer might be able to win an Oscar...

Wait ´til the nominations mate, wait ´til the nominations. The Academy always surprises us with its...uhm...strange list in the best score award.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Generally it's not a very big community yet, but we have one, growing,

Cool. We don't have any kind of film score community here in Norway. Of course, there's my own website www.celluloidtunes.net, but it's in English and really a relic at this point. Also, there is this facebook group that was created about half a year ago, which has about 20 members, but it's not really active. And that's about it. The other Norwegian film music fans are spread around various international messageboards or institutions. No community to speak of. That's why I'm wondering about other European countries and their film music interest (we all know there's a massive fanbase in the UK and Spain, but more widespread outside those countries).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I've heard Italy has a very nice community and very good selection of scores in music stores.
  5. lol

The plot thickens...

A comment to the review translated above recommends creating a new Olympic sports discipline - the Tyler Jump or Badelthurdle run. They called the score orchestral heavy metal - loud and nonsense biggrin

Actually I like symphonic metal and THAT is harsh too biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've heard Italy has a very nice community and very good selection of scores in music stores.

Yes, I thought that too, but there aren't many Italians active in film music discussion fora online, for some reason. Maybe it's a language issue. But I have no idea how it is within Italian borders, in "real life".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Thor wrote
    That's why I'm wondering about other European countries and their film music interest (we all know there's a massive fanbase in the UK and Spain, but more widespread outside those countries).

Belgium and The Netherlands have a small community as well. There's filmmuziek.be with a forum that isn't used that much, but enough to see people you then sometimes meet at concerts. But we are a very small set of countries after all. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I've heard Italy has a very nice community and very good selection of scores in music stores.

Yes, I thought that too, but there aren't many Italians active in film music discussion fora online, for some reason. Maybe it's a language issue. But I have no idea how it is within Italian borders, in "real life".

I think you've hit upon something here Thor, looking at most forums the majority of Europeans beside the U.K. are mostly from The Netherlands, Scandinavia, Germany and countries that have a wide spread use of English. In my experience, Italy, Spain and France ( the French just plain refuse to use it wink ) rarely use it, ditto the South American countries.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Actually a friend told me that Italians even have a magazine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLe Docteur
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I think you've hit upon something here Thor, looking at most forums the majority of Europeans beside the U.K. are mostly from The Netherlands, Scandinavia, Germany and countries that have a wide spread use of English. In my experience, Italy, Spain and France ( the French just plain refuse to use it wink ) rarely use it, ditto the South American countries.

Actually, it's not so much that we (yeah, i'm french, BTW) don't want to use English, it's just that our foreign languages teaching system pretty much sucks. Most of the people i know that do speak english, or at least understand it, haven't learned it as their first foreign language at school, but through the internet, tv or movies.

Here, it's often better seen to choose german as a second language, cos of the difficulty of the grammar (with the implication that succeeding in german proves that you're smarter than if you'd just succeeded in english), or spanish, cos of the proximity of spain (and spanish immigrants are more likely to be found here than english ones).

Add to that a totally dumb public policy on tv programs (everything is dubbed, cos you know, "people don't wanna be bothered with subtitles and such..." rolleyes ), and you've got a pretty good explanation of why french people suck at foreign languages.

Anyway... In France, online film music discussion is pretty much limited to 2 or 3 forums, most of those being nearly dead, or only visited by the same 10 to 15 people, that tend to have very radical opinions on some composers...
    Once, there was a magazine dedicated to movie scores; it was more of a fanzine than anything, but it had a very professional look... sadly, it was also very Horner oriented, to the point every single Horner score was given the highest note possible, and "extraordinary, monumental, a masterpiece" became systematic adjectives... I don't know if the mag is still alive today, as it went down for a while (after some infighting between the staff, i believe), before coming back under a new name, and i haven't heard from it since...

So, not a big community around here, but it's coherent with the attitude most french cinema magazines have towards their trade: in france, most big-budget hollywood movies are rarely considered to be "noble" (or even good) cinema. They're just pop-corn movies, especially if they're genre movies. And as most of the scores we're interested in come from such movies, the entire film music industry is seen as a minor one, here. And it's a vicious circle: scores don't matter to the critics, so nobody promotes them, so they don't sell, so the major execs don't bother releasing them anymore, so the critics don't bother criticizing anymore, etc...

Sometimes, it seems it's about to change, but it never amounts to anything really important...

And as far as Brian Tyler is concerned (cos it was the topic, wasn't it?), i like the guy, i enjoy his music, and i'd say that most of the french-community-that's-not-much-of-a-community feels the same. He's not a polarizing composer, as far as we're concerned.

(i'd even say his Bubba Ho Tep score made most of us sympathetic to the dude, as the movie has acquired quite a cult status in the french movie buffs online community)

(and we loved the AVP2 score... but then again, most of us were disappointed by the Kloser score, and we were just hoping that Tyler would reference previous cues from the sagas, in one way or the other...)

(Now if he could do the same with Rambo, that'd be great)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    Hiya Le Docteur and welcome wave

A very interesting, and eye opening reply.

I hope you'll stick around here and enjoy the company smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I still haven´t listened to my AVPR CD, but I will see the movie tomorrow night, and I totally expect to be blown away by the score. Literally. biggrin I ´ll make a tape of the score for the way to and from the theatre though, to enhance the experience. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Man, you gotta listen to the score on CD. I hear it's pretty severely chopped up in the movie.
  8. I will, definetely; it´s just that recently I experienced a lot of scores in theatre first before I got the score, and it reminded me of the old times, where I rarely bought a score before I knew the movie. That changed over the years, of course, but due to a very limited budget I returned to the old habit. And I´m enjoying it so far. Of course, there are exemptions (like Treasure 2), but with AVP:R it will be something special. I haven´t seen an Alien movie in theatres since Alien 3, and I´m really looking forward to this, certainly crappy, but nonetheless entertaining movie (I´m easy to satisfy), combined with the experience of a great new Horner ehm Silvestri ehm TYLER score I didn´t listen to before. I know the soundbits available and loved them, but I´ll wait with the CD for after the movie, since I know its loud and heavy stuff, and I have to be in the mood to listen to that for 80 minutes. After the movie, I will be. punk
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    Listen to RAMBO SUITE at http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer

Judging on this 6 minute set of apparently 3 cues, this could be the score of his career! I love the way he incorporates those "Tyler"-like orchestrations/rhythms underneath the last statement of the first blood theme around 3:30. I can't wait to hear the whole score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    Rambo Suite: http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer

Rambo CD Cover: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SS500_.jpg

Track List:
    1. Rambo Theme
    2. No Rules Of Engagement
    3. Conscription
    4. The Rescue
    5. Aftermath
    6. Searching For Missionaries
    7. Hunting Mercenaries
    8. Crossing Into Burma
    9. The Village
    10. Rambo Returns
    11. When You Are Pushed
    12. The Call To War
    13. Atrocities
    14. Prison Camp
    15. Attack On The Village
    16. Rambo Takes Charge
    17. The Compound
    18. Battle Adagio
    19. Rambo Main Title
    20. Rambo End Title
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm looking forward to this! Always loved that Goldsmith theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's a pretty impressive orchestral suite for someone who.....can't compose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    *bump*

BRIAN TYLER – RAMBO SUITE AVAILABLE FOR FIRST LISTEN

You can listen to the new suite from Brian Tyler’s 2008 score to RAMBO over at his myspace page.

MySpace music profile for Brian Tyler with tour dates, songs, videos, pictures, blogs, band information, downloads and more:

http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's a pretty impressive orchestral suite for someone who.....can't compose.

Well, the first part is a nice repetition of the old theme with only slight variations. Shouldn´t be too hard to do that, BUT...

...that second part is reducing me to a puddle of geequid... I´m without words now... Batman Begins / Transformers rhythm and Rambo Theme in the very same track. This is Heaven & Paradise combined, and all virgins are female.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Listening to the Rambo suite now, and it sounds really good indeed! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    This is Heaven & Paradise combined, and all virgins are female.

lol