• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    RAMBO will be released on the iTunes Music Store on January 22, 2008 and then on CD on February 5, 2008. If you just logged in and you're viewing this post, turn one page back for the awesome RAMBO SUITE. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    Wow....VERY cool suite! Great that Tyler pays so much respect not only to Goldsmith's theme, but his odd meters and stuff. Makes one miss the old maestro even more, of course, but it was the right choice to include the theme as extensively as that, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    I like the suite too... the first part is just... well... just a suite of the themes of First Blood, afterwards we hear "Tyler's version" of Goldsmith's theme, quite interesting... also we can hear some oriental inspired stuff. Sound all very smooth and polished. Wonder how the rest of the album will be. I like it so far.

Regarding the whole AVP 2 conversations earlier in this tread... I admit the score is too loud/hectic at some points, but it also has some really cool moments though. I give it 3 stars. (out of 5)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    shocked shocked shocked

I want the score right now! Right now! Once again impressed by Tyler. Can´t hardly wait. Me wanna, me wanna this one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Where´s Pawel? I can´t wait to read his comments about how totally ripped off this score is... dizzy
  2. Just playing the suite and it indeed may be the best thing Tyler's ever done. I can't say much about the first part, because it's pure Goldsmith at his best, really biggrin . I love one thing - for the first time since years somebody use the WHOLE It's a Long Road stuff.

Oriental stuff is something's Tyler has been doing for some time - the four-chord based theme, maybe with subtle Zimmer references - not a rip of course or something, it seems that Tyler was influenced by Zimmer in his career, incorporating some things, like certain chord progressions, some rhythmic sensibilities - I would like also to remind you guys of a string figure in the beginning of Decimation Proclamation. Generally very melodic stuff, which is very good, Goldsmith's theme is incorporated very well, not far from Goldsmith's best usage.

I haven't heard any basic rips here. I don't even think the minimal strings are an RC reference, if anything the progression in the oriental stuff, but then again it's something Tyler's been doing for years, sometimes bordering on a rip (Paparazzi). Generally good stuff, but the suite doesn't feature any action music yet, so we will see is it more a Goldsmith score or perhaps the very first serious Brian Tyler one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just playing the suite and it indeed may be the best thing Tyler's ever done.

Cue of the week biggrin

I´m playing the suite again and again. Now that´s what I call a HOMAGE from Tyler to Goldsmith, using and deveolping "It's a Long Road" with Tyler´s style. A-M-A -Z-I-N-G. And it´s only 6 minutes (judging for the tracklist Nuno has posted it´s gonna be a long release beer ).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. I wrote something positive about Tyler, you see? you see? you see?

I need a hug

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    F*ck me, that suite is really good! Makes me want to go back and listen to Goldsmith's original scores but I don't have them with me. sad

Still...

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, the suite is basically a straight forward read of GOLDSMITH's main theme and variations on that theme. A very nice tribute to Silver Pony Tail but I would like to hear more of the ORIGINAL material Tyler came up with to compliment Goldsmith's theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I especially love how the second half of the suite, which contains mainly the original material from Tyler, sits so well next to the usage of Goldsmith's music, rather than that it sticks out as something from a completely different composer. It suggests that it doesn't sound like a 'Tyler-score' that much, but it adapts the style of Rambo very well, and with that, it could indeed be among his best scores *fingers crossed*
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I find it odd that you would consider this Tyler's best score since most of it will be based on previously exciting music by Goldsmith. While I'm sure it will be a good score wouldn't you want to look for some thing more original (especially an original theme) from the composer to call his best.

Is sort of the same thing when talking about Ottman's Superman Returns. I saw a few reviews that said it was his best but I think the nostalgia of the original theme by Williams were clouding their thoughts and emotions while listening to the score. If you strip away Ottman's original material from Williams' themes then there really isn't much to speak of.
    -Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I said 'among his best scores', not 'his best score'. I also thought it was a rather impressive achievement of Marco Beltrami to nail the Morricone sound in 3:10 to Yuma, just because I can imagine it's really hard to put your own traditional 'tricks' on the side and to deliver something different in a way that actually works. So, yeah, this could be among his best, if he knows how to nail the tricks and quality of some of the best composers ever.
  4. tjguitar wrote
    Listen to RAMBO SUITE at http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer

I love the way he incorporates those "Tyler"-like orchestrations/rhythms underneath the last statement of the first blood theme around 3:30.

You mean those Dana Niu-like orchestrations. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    This is Heaven & Paradise combined, and all virgins are female.

lol

....not for long with this lusty lot! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. justin boggan wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Listen to RAMBO SUITE at http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer

I love the way he incorporates those "Tyler"-like orchestrations/rhythms underneath the last statement of the first blood theme around 3:30.

You mean those Dana Niu-like orchestrations. ;-)

Good grief, the only orchestrators I can differ are Dodd and Elhai. What does it mean "Dana Niu-like"?
  6. Good to hear Goldsmith's thematic material again but there's not much in the suite to assess how good Tyler's music is going to be. But the suite will be a good stopgap for the mp3 player until the CD appears!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLe Docteur
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    Ah, great, "it's a long road", me likey. tongue

Exactly what i hoped. Now if the movie is the same return to basics, i'll be happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    I think the second version of Goldsmith's theme , wich appear just after the "it's long road" arrengement, is full of Media Ventures Clichés. With those String base progression and the synthetic percusion.

Cool?? yes, very cool.

I love specially this Rambo III -Beyond Rangoon Ethnic Elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

Actually, if you're talking about the oriental flavours, Goldsmith's second RAMBO score also had lots of those. I think these particular touches are Tyler's alone, though.

By the way, it's worth pointing out that not even Goldsmith himself played out the "It's a Long Road" theme for as long as Tyler does here. Cool!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Actually, if you're talking about the oriental flavours, Goldsmith's second RAMBO score also had lots of those. I think these particular touches are Tyler's alone, though.

By the way, it's worth pointing out that not even Goldsmith himself played out the "It's a Long Road" theme for as long as Tyler does here. Cool!

I think it's rather Rambo III really. That kind of thoughtful ethnicity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think it's rather Rambo III really. That kind of thoughtful ethnicity.

Well, it was the second film that took place in Vietnam and hence the link to Burma (in this film) and South East-Asian flavours. The third took place in Afghanistan, so not the same kind of ethnicity.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I mean in terms of approach, not the sound itself. It's rather restrained like Rambo III was. Rambo II goes completely crazy in every term biggrin And I love it for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    Ah, I see. Well yes, from that suite alone it may seem more restrained. But I'll think I'll wait untill I've heard the entire score before I can make any assessment of that.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. In his underscore Tyler tends to be rather restrained. Action will unleash hell in a rather hardly controlled way. Probably there will be some mess, sadly. I must admit I am not a big fan (as you all know too well biggrin ) of the structure of his action music. It's not so careful and well-structured as many composers are. And not very subtle, just loud for the sake of being loud.
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    Wow, listening to that suite made me a little misty eyed. I think Brian has done excellent job handling Goldsmith 's music with care and respect while building upon it. That polish reviewer can eat sh*t and die for all I care.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    In his underscore Tyler tends to be rather restrained. Action will unleash hell in a rather hardly controlled way. Probably there will be some mess, sadly. I must admit I am not a big fan (as you all know too well biggrin ) of the structure of his action music. It's not so careful and well-structured as many composers are. And not very subtle, just loud for the sake of being loud.

Even though I find Brian Tyler one of the most interesting new filmmusic composers out there, I have to agree here with Pawel. My hope is that Tyler will mature and realize that sometimes less is more. That by playing smartly with odd tempos (ala Goldsmith), you don't have to unlease all orchestral hell in order to get to the point. Sometimes Tyler's music gets too messy and dense, a thing that never happened with Goldsmith for example. Don't get me wrong, I think Tyler has the right heart (he is a HUGE movie fan himself).. he knows how to push the right buttons, but it still needs some maturing and restraint.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorAndrew
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Hello, film music fans. I’m THE BLOODY REVIEWER OF AVP2. I’ve read Your posts today, so I’m answering until now.

I must honestly say, that I’m really surprised of that what I’ve read. I simply don’t understand your so highly positive evaluation of Tyler’s score. When I’ve been writing this review, I thought I write a typical, critical text of another musical disaster. The text that will definitely not echo in the small world of polish film music fans. But, I don’t know why, it turned out that it’s very controversial. I wrote this review using light language and a lot of irony. It’s a review with a big dose of distance. I didn’t write it like that to sound like a cleaver, cynical intellectualist with specific sense of humor. My a little bit temper comments aren’t pointless and aren’t made only to add some meaningless brilliance or something like that. They just give my arguments more strength.
    The most important thing I’d like to say is I absolutely haven’t wanted to insult the composer Brian Tyler. I respect him as a well educated artist and have no personal aversion to him, so please don’t accuse me of being not objective and forming senseless and irrational arguments. He didn’t kill my father or sleep with my girlfriend, so I don’t see any reason I should hate him. All my temper words are connected with music, which for me is a noisy craft without any idea (like I wrote in my review).
    Your accusations are mostly not supported by arguments. Most of you use only senseless invectives to me (guy obsessed about Hans Zimmer, guy, that doesn’t know nothing about film music, guy, who lost the point of irony). That’s why I’m asking you now for arguments. Why this music is so great? What makes it special? But please, respect my opinions and views, which are well argued I think. I fully accept being criticized, but try to control yourselves;]

P.S.
    Sorry for my English ;]
  10. I love his music because he´s able to move me. He generates feelings in me which fit the movie I´m watching. He´s able to compose in a lot of different styles, coming from very different directions. I don´t have to analyze each note about whether it´s been done before or sounds similar to something we know. All that counts for me is whether I enjoy it or not, and hell, isn´t that what this is all about?
    • CommentAuthorAndrew
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Of course it is, but when you admire someone for doing something not original, something already done before, you forget about artists who really deserve for respect acording to this what they did. For me artist should speak his own language, based on something, but his own, with new elements. But that's not my point. You write about emotions. I can feel emotions too? spin That's the thing we can't disscus, because it's very individual, we all know that. But in the world of art we also have soemthing like a "level of art". We need to ask the question: what makes something art? Is it derivativeness? I don't think so. We shouldn't call something art when it's not. For me art is ideas and perfection. AVP2= no ideas and chaos. I know, that emotions are the first criterion of evaluation, but when I hear that soemthing is senseless and banal, I can't listen to it and defienietly can't give it good mark in a review. Anyway, AVP2 is for me 0-emotional. And that's what I mean, so don't accuse me of creating riddiculous arguments. crazy crazy