• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016
    Southall wrote
    We are 24 hours from both the concert and Tulsa.

I always figured Gene Pitney was 24 hours from Tulsa only if he was in New Delhi which is half a world away from the States.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To be honest I think we're all 24 hours from Tulsa, it just depends which route you take. Even if you're in Tulsa you could drive for 12 hours away from it, then turn around and come back.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But if you were only 6 hours away that would only make a twelve hour round trip, on the plus side doing the trip twice sorts that out. win win situation.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016
    I hope he finds time to do some of his big hits from before he became a film composer - Holding Out for a Hero, Total Eclipse of the Heart and so on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That was his sister.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's happening? What's happening? Are you guys having a pre-concert beer already?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Meh... they probably won't get a phone signal in London. tongue
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    PLEAST tell me more about hte shehaingians.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fucck off.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Met for pre-meal drinks in rooftop bar, had a curry with a group of friends, witnessed a fantastic concert and then had the good fortune to meet and chat with Tyler himself. Fab!

More details tomorrow!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    good fortune to meet and chat with Tyler himself. Fab!

What the flying f*ck? shocked
    How did that happen???? How did I miss that?
    sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

sad

He was disguised as the Indian waiter!
  3. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

sad

It was a piece of amazing good fortune. We left the place we'd had the drink and were walking to find a taxi. The way we chose to walk took us past the stage door of the RFH and there was Tyler, signing things and posing for photos! And this was at midnight.

An amazing stroke of good fortune.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Damn. sad Glad for you guys, of course. But quite disappointed I missed that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And clearly you were all to awestruck to give me a quick ring...cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, embarassing interview. I certainly don't hope this is the standard of British talk show hosts (even morning show hosts). When the male host starts humming the TWIN PEAKS theme (sort of), that's a facepalm moment right there.

Yeah, that's Charlie Stayt. He has a tendency to ask a question, then sort of answer it himself, adding half a dozen of examples, then rephrasing the question.... then somehow expects the guest to make any sense of that and provide an answer that doesn't include everything Charlie has already said himself. He is THE shittest interviewer I know.

Honestly, I am amazed he didn't ask about Brian's hair.

it IS nice hair though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Guys, fill us in! We need all the details! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I have no details. Apparently 5 minutes after I left out everybody got to be best pals with Brian and forgot that I ever existed. angry

Henceforth and forever I shall refer to you all as "estranged acquaintances".

The concert was extremely enjoyable and wildly energetic.
    Brian seemed in very good spirits and was very "into" the whole thing, tapping and moving along to the beat while conducting, although from time to time he seemed to forget he was doing a concert rather than a recording session as more than once he had to remind himself to turn around to introduce the next piece. smile

He mostly conducted, taking to the drums only on one occasion for a bit of Modern Warfare 3. He IS good!

Starting off the concert with a bang, he gave us Thor, Avengers and Iron Man, and it basically never let up from there. MAN, does Brian like his decibels!
    But the real power came from the massive setup in the orchestra with five trombones, six double-basses...and SEVEN percussionists, mostly ALL of them hard at work simultaneously.

Most of the tracks were -as is no surprise- percussion-driven, which gave the whole thing a very "rock concert" .Brian seems to quite enjoy that rock star thing anyway coming up to conduct in a body-hugging T-Shirt, showing off his well-trained body most unsubtly. But yeah. The bastard DOES look good.

Some surprising choices throughout the concert (a rather dissonant and disturbing suite from Constantine) as well as omissions (no Bubba Ho-Tep sad ), but overall the program was a very good cross-section of his 15-year oeuvre.

There were two guest vocalists: Tori Letzler, who -in a stylish dress that was not hard on the eye- did a beautiful job vocalising for Children Of Dune (which still held up very, VERY well!), and Lola Marsh, singing Drift And Fall Again from Criminal (quite pleasant if not overly memorable as a composition). Good sets to break up the onslaught of high-octane, heavy-rhythm suites the concert mainly consisted off, and which blew the roof off multiple times!

Although the consensus was that the insanely powerful Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the best bit of the evening -the orchestra and (massive!) choir really nailed that one!- , my personal favourite was the beautiful, ever-so-slightly Poledourissy The Greatest Game Ever Played. A beautiful and thoughtful theme, well paced and deeply lyrical. I was not surprised to learn that this was also the favourite bit of Brian's parents...who were actually in the audience, witnessing their son's very first concert. Which I thought was really quite touching.

The John Williams tribute was a rousing (and BIG) rendition of Superman (I can honestly say I have never heard a larger version played live), executed very well in a tempo slightly quicker than the original (which was HARD for the orchestra! They REALLY had to work at it!)...and the bigegst surprise to me was a rendition of the Hawaii 5-O theme (which just happens to be my favourite TV theme ever), which was executed splendidly!

...the only 'faux pas' here was, as Alan rightly remarked, is that Brian clearly wasn't aware of British concert etiquette, as he suggested people would 'clap along'. One does NOT clap along. One listens quietly and applauds afterwards!
    (I was still shimmying and doing the mashed potato in my seat though...how can you sit STILL with music like that? wink )

The concert was about two hours long but never felt a minute too long. In fact, the audience seemed quite disappointed when it was over (and Tyler NOT doing an encore...what was up with THAT???).

We had a drink afterwards, which -at least for me was QUITE necessary, as the mad energy of the concert had my blood pumping adn my heart racing, so I really needed some cooling down before returning to the hotel- and then APPARENTLY 5 minutes after we actually did break up (after some good meetings of minds on music) everyone else happened to actually meet Tyler.
    I hate you all.
  4. Martijn wrote
    the beautiful, ever-so-slightly Poledourissy The Greatest Game Ever Played.

And also ever-so-not-at-all-slightly Hornery? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Some think so. I just hear Poledouris' style, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016 edited
    Thanks for the report, Martijn, but you skimmied over the best part -- the social mingling! What did you do before and after the concert? Dinners? Pubs? Discos? Karaoke? What did you discuss? Anything 'juicy'? Give us the details (I'm less interested in the Tyler concert and more interested in film music fans meeting)! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Social mingling? Film music fans are all nigh-Asperger scale social misfits who fear interaction and avoid even eye contact as much as possible! Social mingling indeed. That'd mean at least five or six additional sessions with our respective therapists next week!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the report Martijn, i was looking for details of the gig and you naturally wrote it excellently smile Eager for the rest of the attendees' reports too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Social mingling? Film music fans are all nigh-Asperger scale social misfits who fear interaction and avoid even eye contact as much as possible! Social mingling indeed. That'd mean at least five or six additional sessions with our respective therapists next week!

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Thanks for the report, Martijn, but you skimmied over the best part -- the social mingling! What did you do before and after the concert? Dinners? Pubs? Discos? Karaoke? What did you discuss? Anything 'juicy'? Give us the details (I'm less interested in the Tyler concert and more interested in film music fans meeting)! smile

yeah

Still, good report on the concert old bean. beer
  5. Martijn wrote
    Some think so. I just hear Poledouris' style, really.

Some think so? The main theme couldn't be a more obvious Legends of the Fall temp if it tried!

'course, Legends does remind me a bit of Lonesome Dove, so I can see how this all fits together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah

We -Mario, Thomas, Alan, Bregje, Bregt, Ant and myself- had a lovely afternoon of jetset watching (and seeing an alarming amount of boobs falling out of entirely too tight dresses) on the rooftop bar of the ME hotel, where the far too affluent, foreign or beautiful gather to be seen, and afterwards enjoyed quite a good Indian arranged by James.

Sadly the restaurant was quite small so there was no proper option to mingle. I only saw and spoke to James, Jon, Basil and Jim (really!) FAR too briefly, and -as apparently we're all old and tired- most people left right after the concert.
    So, not much to relate, I'm afraid.

For me a major highlight was meeting Ant for the very first time and being able to have a proper chat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No Steven? I could have swore he was going.

My regret is that I could have come. slant
  6. I'll give MY version of events later when I get home. But, the whole time passed far too quickly.