• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    It seems that Mr. Scientology himself, Tom Cruise, was in the audience for the concert.

I'm sure he was cleared by the music. slant
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Nothing much to add, just that it was great seeing Martijn, Alan, Bregje and Anthony again, while sadly for Jon and James there was just time for an interaction of several minutes.

The concert itself was great, but above all loud (no worries I like it loud). I think Thor would have collapsed if his ears had to induce such rocking thundering movie music. There were even people who went to complain during the intermission, but I think they opened Pandora's box there because the second part ... was even LOUDER biggrin

The brass players started to faint as well during the second part, tiny slip ups began to appear, but imagining the workout they went through it's totally understandable. Highlights were definitely Triumph of the Spirit (the thing he wrote for the US open but apparently only few people (myself included) already heard), Children of Dune, the Turtles and Aliens vs Predator. The Superman bonus was of course awesome.

Tyler himself was a laugh on stage, and he couldn't stop picking up the microphone just to shout out words to us like: "wow that was fun", and "don't worry I'm not leaving" when he suddenly went to sit behind the drums himself. The small anecdotes were hilarious as well, like hanging up at Sylvester Stallone when he called him for the gig on Rambo 4 biggrin

And our luck continued when we spotted the man himself late in the evening. He was gracious enough to go on photo and talk to us briefly. Bregt even gave him a kazoo, but something tells me (unlike Bear McCreary) it won't be heard in his next score if they all sound so loud like this concert. wink

The 3 day excursion around London was exhausting in this kind of summer heat, but kudos to Anthony to show us so much in such little time. You were awesome punk . And Mario himself was a hoot knowing he was able to visit all 3 Disney stores in one weekend (much to the agony of Bregt)

The hotel Martijn was staying in was just unreal. And I never saw so many gorgeous people in one setting like the rooftop bar. Then again, with bottles of champagne flying around like it was water, I imagine only the cream of the crop was there at that moment. It was quite frankly decadent as well.

In general, whoever missed it, you guys should have been there. It was just great fun.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    In general, whoever missed it, you guys should have been there. It was just great fun.

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And I never saw so many gorgeous people in one setting like the rooftop bar.

Thanks very much, Thomas. You didn't look so bad yourself. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Sounds like a fantastic night out. I kinda regret not signing up for this one.
    Thanks for sharing your stories and pics.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And I never saw so many gorgeous people in one setting like the rooftop bar.

Thanks very much, Thomas. You didn't look so bad yourself. wink

haha, you too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1GPqcEt7ho my God, even from a shitty mobile recording, this sounds amazing! any chance for a dvd? have you people who attended seen any cameras or microphones anywhere?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And this. Damn i am so envious! https://www.instagram.com/p/BFMPO4Qu6bv/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote

Now THAT's funny!
    She really caught my eye during the concert because she was the only cellist who was REALLY into EACH piece. Plus she was really cute. love

Yeah, there were cameras, but that's pretty par for the course, I guess. Doesn't mean there will be a release.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I don't want to be the party pooper here and be seen as the odd one out but even live his music is completely devoid of life... pun intended. I listened to those two clips, is that even music, does that even represent a theme? I mean a memorable one? One for the ages? I listened to the clips and I forgot about it 4 seconds later. rolleyes

Also his obsession with drums, and simplistic and repetitive drum patterns too is just too silly to take seriously. Does he need to incorporate them in everything he writes? I guess he thinks the louder the better, and fuck subtlety.

Sure he's very passionate about his work and he makes for a great musician but I continue to be shocked at the man's popularity as a composer.

He talks about John Williams and Bernard Herrmann and how much they have influenced him. Too bad he misses the lyrical and harmonic approach of these two gentlemen.

And with that my rant is over... everyone can now continue praising the dude. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Silly boy. biggrin
  7. Silly??? shocked

I was not being silly, more being brutally honest ! angry

Now, THIS is silly !!! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    I don't want to be the party pooper here and be seen as the odd one out but even live his music is completely devoid of life... pun intended. I listened to those two clips, is that even music, does that even represent a theme? I mean a memorable one? One for the ages? I listened to the clips and I forgot about it 4 seconds later. rolleyes

Also his obsession with drums, and simplistic and repetitive drum patterns too is just too silly to take seriously. Does he need to incorporate them in everything he writes? I guess he thinks the louder the better, and fuck subtlety.

Sure he's very passionate about his work and he makes for a great musician but I continue to be shocked at the man's popularity as a composer.

He talks about John Williams and Bernard Herrmann and how much they have influenced him. Too bad he misses the lyrical and harmonic approach of these two gentlemen.

And with that my rant is over... everyone can now continue praising the dude. smile

Have you heard THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED? Or PARTITION? Or STANDING UP? Those are film scores with memorable themes and subtlety. I can remember the themes, anyway.

I think part of the problem you have with Tyler stems from his approach to the kinds of films that he usually scores. He likes that wall-of-sound, very busy style for action films, and that's almost entirely what he gets hired to score. I think he's very good at what he normally does, but it's not my favorite thing to listen to away from the film. Even then, I think this concert would have been amazing. There's a lot of power behind his compositions that you could really feel live that will be missing from listening to a recording, no matter how good.

Every now and then he gets to score something that calls for a softer and more subtle approach. I think he excels in that arena.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    christopher wrote
    There's a lot of power behind his compositions that you could really feel live that will be missing from listening to a recording, no matter how good.

Leave alone really crappy mobile phone recordings! dizzy vomit
    They would have been much better off just taking pictures. I simply CANNOT understand what people get from recording a set like that in this way. It's like quickly sketching a copy of a Rembrandt in a museum with only a purple crayon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    christopher wrote
    There's a lot of power behind his compositions that you could really feel live that will be missing from listening to a recording, no matter how good.

They would have been much better off just taking pictures. I simply CANNOT understand what people get from recording a set like that in this way. It's like quickly sketching a copy of a Rembrandt in a museum with only a purple crayon!

Me neither. Crappy era, people (not) living their lives through crappy mobile phones, recording everything down to shitty video and image shaken noisy and stuff nobody will ever see again, instead of actually living the event and enjoying it themselves smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I swear your English was better in the earlier days of this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's the late of night wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    christopher wrote

Me neither. Crappy era, people (not) living their lives through crappy mobile phones, recording everything down to shitty video and image shaken noisy and stuff nobody will ever see again, instead of actually living the event and enjoying it themselves smile

I get you, I agree! see it way too much these days unfortunately and plenty more to come while I'm at Glastonbury next month.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    It's the late of night wink

Fcuk of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote

The sound may not be ideal - the drums on both clips are way much louder than it sounded in the room - but the images are decent enough to answer questions.

There was a brief discussion (at the interval or after the concert) as to whether the anvil in the Iron Man 3 cue was being played by one of the many percussionists or whether it was being 'piped in'. You can clearly see some anvil action happening in the clip.

So, the clips can have their uses. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote

The sound may not be ideal - the drums on both clips are way much louder than it sounded in the room - but the images are decent enough to answer questions.

There was a brief discussion (at the interval or after the concert) as to whether the anvil in the Iron Man 3 cue was being played by one of the many percussionists or whether it was being 'piped in'. You can clearly see some anvil action happening in the clip.

So, the clips can have their uses. wink

Yes, sound is mobile crappy, standard for this kind of videos. But even just as a reference, they do serve to show the rest of us not being there, how amazing the performance was! smile
  9. christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't want to be the party pooper here and be seen as the odd one out but even live his music is completely devoid of life... pun intended. I listened to those two clips, is that even music, does that even represent a theme? I mean a memorable one? One for the ages? I listened to the clips and I forgot about it 4 seconds later. rolleyes

Have you heard THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED? Or PARTITION? Or STANDING UP? Those are film scores with memorable themes and subtlety. I can remember the themes, anyway.

I think part of the problem you have with Tyler stems from his approach to the kinds of films that he usually scores. He likes that wall-of-sound, very busy style for action films, and that's almost entirely what he gets hired to score. I think he's very good at what he normally does, but it's not my favorite thing to listen to away from the film. Even then, I think this concert would have been amazing. There's a lot of power behind his compositions that you could really feel live that will be missing from listening to a recording, no matter how good.

Every now and then he gets to score something that calls for a softer and more subtle approach. I think he excels in that arena.

I think this concert more than ever proved his limits as a composer (so far). Basically his earliest material sounds the most original, while his recent epic blockbuster scores tend to sound the same, even in themes. The Turtles is basically Iron Man 3, while every comic score now has the always returning Marvel motif opening the score. It showed his limits so far. And honestly, somehow one single piece of Williams showed him and the audience what a grade A composer can write for an orchestra.

YET Tyler is definitely a composer I like a lot when I hear him writing for a big blockbuster movie. I prefer Turtles (no matter the temp track love and limits) anyday over the Jackman's who write for other comic Marvel blockbusters. Then I prefer the bombastic no holding back approach of Tyler so much more.

And I think my brother would dislike The Greatest Game ever Played, because it's temp track love of one of his favorite scores (Legends of the Fall) wink

But Children of Dune and Triumph of the Spirit (which my brother loved because he didn't even hear Brian Tyler in it wink ) shows you the man can write. He just needs to produce better shorter albums smile
    And stop putting the best track of the album first wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What the, DT wasn't trolling and kidding? he's serious about Tyler's lack of themes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Gilles is a bit special that way. wink
    Hey, it's OK. Even Timmer doesn't like Tyler, and aside from a predilection for Finnish composers the man has otherwise impeccable taste!

Not everyone can appreciate a rollicking good fun time. wink
  10. I'm a bit special, I'm a silly boy... crazy

That does it... I'm messaging Bregt so he can unregister my account.

This place has become very unpleasant.

Or as Martijn said in another thread: ALL IS NOT WELL * sad

* Fixed

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
  11. I just assume that the similarities between all his Marvel scores is a deliberate choice to reflect the same superhero universe. And then I just sit back and enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    This place has become very unpleasant.

biggrin hug

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I just assume that the similarities between all his Marvel scores is a deliberate choice to reflect the same superhero universe. And then I just sit back and enjoy.

That's the thing: I am NOT revisiting Tyler over and over again for his brilliant tunesmithing.
    To me -with some very notable exceptions- it's just fantastic popcorn stuff. EXACTLY as you say, Alan: I just sit back (well, insofar as that is possible with his excellent brand of high-energy music) and enjoy.
    Which is no small feat and accomplishment ina world dominated by either Very Seriious Composers With Great And Important things To Say or composers who drone with drums (and STILL think they have something to say!).
  12. Martijn wrote
    To me -with some very notable exceptions- it's just fantastic popcorn stuff. EXACTLY as you say, Alan: I just sit back (well, insofar as that is possible with his excellent brand of high-energy music) and enjoy.

I cannot sit back and enjoy. But I can lean forward and cringe. As in lean forward to puke. wink

And that is the only reaction I can think of when listening to Tyler, or most things he has written so far.

But don't let that stop any of you enjoying what he does. Me, I have lots of other stuff to listen to in my spare time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    But don't let that stop any of you enjoying what he does.

It won't. wink
  13. Ah, this discussion reminds me of the very early days of this message board and my posts in this thread in particular wink .

While I had, after Far Cry 3, a reevaluation of the man's music, that's still not enough to own any of his works on CD (I listen to my favorites on Spotify and one of my favorite scores of his, though it took me a while to warm up to it) and actually go all the way to London for a concert, when I picked... another one a few days earlier.

But now, especially in his Marvel mode (except the mess that Avengers 2 ended up being for a few reasons), I do like his stuff. Scores I warmed up the most to are Battle: LA and MW 3, My favorites remain Eagle Eye and Far Cry 3, though I have quite a bit of liking to Now You See Me and Iron Man 3... and The Killing Room.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website