• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    All those arguments presented in the last page seem strictly based on personal taste and not validated through any musical basis or argument beyond personal preferences whatsoever. What if you don't like him or his music, at all? That doesn't in fact prove that AVP:R is not a hell of a beast, a damn fun and damn energetic ride, a VERY good score, at all; especially since it was composed to accompany such a horrible piece of crap! Don't people even think a bit nowadays?

I can see the concert program 147 years from now. 'And for our final segment, the orchestra will be presenting Brian Tyler's 'Decimation Proclamation', written on commission for an undistinguished turn-of-the-milennium science fiction film. The suite is a popular work. It was acclaimed on release by one reviewer as being - 'a hell of a beast'. Tyler wrote much of his music for film, though concert goers may be more familiar with his now rarely-performed Oratorio: His Name was John Rambo. It concludes tonight's program.'

I must say I can't see the fuss one way or another with this score. It confirms the feeling of what action music should be these days might be a nice way of saying it will be lucky if anyone actually is talking about it in 10 years, let alone 147. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I won't go with Giacchino because for some reason Demetris finds comparisons between Giacchino and Tyler unfair, even if the comparison is for the sake of the same generation.

And that's where the comparison between the two should end. Don't insult Giacchino by comparing him to Tyler.

-Erik-

Erik, who should I compare him to? Paul Haslinger? If I want to prove that Tyler's not as good, I have to pick the right names....

Oh... Ok... because I thought you were going the other way with it. Whew!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All those arguments presented in the last page seem strictly based on personal taste and not validated through any musical basis or argument beyond personal preferences whatsoever. What if you don't like him or his music, at all? That doesn't in fact prove that AVP:R is not a hell of a beast, a damn fun and damn energetic ride, a VERY good score, at all; especially since it was composed to accompany such a horrible piece of crap! Don't people even think a bit nowadays?

I can see the concert program 147 years from now. 'And for our final segment, the orchestra will be presenting Brian Tyler's 'Decimation Proclamation', written on commission for an undistinguished turn-of-the-milennium science fiction film. The suite is a popular work. It was acclaimed on release by one reviewer as being - 'a hell of a beast'. Tyler wrote much of his music for film, though concert goers may be more familiar with his now rarely-performed Oratorio: His Name was John Rambo. It concludes tonight's program.'

^ Demetris... you know I love ya but that was f__king hysterical.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

^ Demetris... you know I love ya but that was f__king hysterical.

-Erik-

D was being straightforward.....now Michael's on the other hand biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I won't go with Giacchino because for some reason Demetris finds comparisons between Giacchino and Tyler unfair, even if the comparison is for the sake of the same generation.

And that's where the comparison between the two should end. Don't insult Giacchino by comparing him to Tyler.

-Erik-

Erik, who should I compare him to? Paul Haslinger? If I want to prove that Tyler's not as good, I have to pick the right names....

Oh... Ok... because I thought you were going the other way with it. Whew!!!

-Erik-

Never, Erik. NEVER smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Demetris, I gave you my musical explanation for my problems with Tyler and you responded to it telling me of your emotional response.

I stand by my point that AVP: R is a rehash, not a homage. If Tyler added a stronger style, it would be a homage.

Ratatouille has many homages, even to Giacchino himself (AMAZING Underground theme installing). M:I-3 works as a better homage than a score on its own (the only parts I really like are the odd-meter version of Schifrin, the rest sadly doesn't do much for me).

AVP: R doesn't have enough material that would make it a homage to me, because on his own, Tyler doesn't give much there.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    Pawel, that's OK, I think we understood that you arent Brian Tyler biggest fan and you explained it very well in this thread and in the Now Playing thread. wink
    But I really think it's time to move on from this subject since we are only turning over the same arguments and it looks like more and more a pissing match contest than a sane discussion.

Just my two cents. cheesy
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Misquote, sorry...
  4. msia2k75 wrote
    Pawel, that's OK, I think we understood that you arent Brian Tyler biggest fan and you explained it very well in this thread and in the Now Playing thread. wink
    But I really think it's time to move on from this subject since we are only turning over the same arguments and it looks like more and more a pissing match contest than a sane discussion.

THANK YOU!!! kiss
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    AVPR movie = teh suck.

Predalien has weird blue goo that disintegrates stuff. Uses it to get rid of bodies but never uses it as a weapon. Then skins humans just to draw attention to itself. What? confused
  5. AVPR movie sucked your brain out. Predalien is Alien with weird rastalocks. The guy who uses blue goo is an actual Predator. But maybe he disintegrates everything Alien or any human who had "contact" with an Alien to prevent humanity from cloning Aliens? Still makes sense to skin humans then.

Believe me, I´m far away from defending this movie, but this may be the one logic hole that is actually none.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Predalien?
    Rastalocks?

Hahaha! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    ..... this may be the one logic hole that is actually none.

Well in fact I think is the ONLY logic in AVP:R. The rest is a complete vomit
    At least the first one was pure fun. Too bad the good score is in the second. A least we can enjoy it as a listening experience.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Predalien?
    Rastalocks?

Hahaha! biggrin

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. msia2k75 wrote

OK, don't be afraid. I'll rant quite a lot if he screws up Rambo (which I actually think he will biggrin ). But don't be afraid, that would be my last rant about him ever. If that happens, I pass on him completely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't get me wrong mate but you're so goddamn biased you'll definitely think he screwed up, no matter what.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Aren't you biased too, guys? When somebody gave musical arguments, you went out emotionally. I think that's called bias too.

The suite is the best thing I've heard from Tyler, but I really can't help thinking that it's not because of his amazing talent, but because of one of Goldsmith's best themes. Demetris, try to take my point of view here and my comparisons to Giacchino and others. Where is Tyler then? And you call comparing him to Giacchino unfair? Who should I compare Tyler to in terms of quality then? Santaloalla? Haslinger? Bates? If comparing, compare with the best. I'm trying to give arguments to my opinion and you never discuss it, because this is unfair and this is a bias.

You never really tried to argue with my argument about the homage part. I tell you that there's not enough Tyler and you go on with the performance, which could be BTW better. Yes, better. I recently can't stop listening to Union Meeting from The Great Debaters by JNH which features a very desperate and brutal action piece in the end, I'd dare to say, performed with more emotion than anything Tyler's done in his career. I won't go with Goldenthal - another master of desperate brutality.

So I go on so much, not to make people see Tyler is one of the best, because, and I think it's a fact, based on other composers working today, he is definitely not.
  8. Pawel, some composer get unfairly praised and defended, it's a sad matter of fact. Just try poiting out how bad Zimmer is, and watch.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  9. Not with me, Justin. You talk to a Zimmer fan biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    http://www.soundtrack.net/albums/database/?id=4762

76 minutes....can´t hardly wait lick lick
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    And plenty of long tracks!! lick
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008
    And listen to them here:

http://music.lionsgate.com/rambo/

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Very cool. Thanks for the link.
    beer
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Hmmmmm.
    It's a good TYLER action track.
    Can't say I feel any of Goldsmith's spirit (on that one cue anyway).
  10. Guys, isn't it the whole soundtrack streamed track by track?

Anyway, it seems that Zimmer is the most influential here, but I don't hear any cheap copies. The four-chord theme is not very original for Tyler's own standards, maybe slightly Rabinesque.

To me it's already better than AVP: R, though not without its influences. I thought there would be more Goldsmith, really, except the main theme there don't seem to be many Goldsmith homages, though some are rather intelligent - the Coplandesque brass in the beginning of the theme track is pretty cool as a homage to Goldsmith, who included Coplandesque passages in all of his Rambo scores. It *may* be Tyler's best score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sounds all the same again to me ... rolleyes
    Kazoo
  11. Well, Bregt, it's *still* Tyler biggrin
  12. God, Batman Begins must have become a VERY popular temp-track...
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    God, Batman Begins must have become a VERY popular temp-track...

Tyler was using those motifs in timeline and children of dune a couple years before batman begins.