• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Lars wrote
    i like brian tylers music because of his action scores. the Fast & Furious series is awesome. also his music for War and Eagle Eye. i like the rhythm of the strings and his use of percussions. his themes and motifs for these movies are also good. i know, all these scores have a very similar sound, but they also have such power and energy. they are alot of fun to listen for me.

I agree, they're are a lot of fun to listen to

but knowing other composers try to deliver a score that's fun to listen to, and try to do something different, then you know it's missing something important
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012
    Lars wrote
    i like brian tylers music because of his action scores. the Fast & Furious series is awesome. also his music for War and Eagle Eye. i like the rhythm of the strings and his use of percussions. his themes and motifs for these movies are also good. i know, all these scores have a very similar sound, but they also have such power and energy. they are alot of fun to listen for me.

Exactly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Lars wrote

but knowing other composers try to deliver a score that's fun to listen to, and try to do something different, then you know it's missing something important

Yeah but no other composer sounds like him; he has a very distinctive sound, a very energetic and powerful mix of sounds and a recognizable character that some people love, what's wrong with that? it's not that any other composer sounds like him but only better, and does not get the job....
    • CommentAuthorLars
    brian has a very special sound, which no other composer has. also his themes and motifs are special. when you hear it, you know immediately, thats brian tyler. i think he is very good in combining the orchestra with electronics. its a very effectiv sound. i also like his work on Hawaii 5-0. his arrangment of the original theme is fantastic. modern but still with the congeniality of the original theme. and his score for the show, which he co-composed with keith power, is also great. especially the softer moments with the hawaiian flair.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Lars wrote

Yeah but no other composer sounds like him; he has a very distinctive sound, a very energetic and powerful mix of sounds and a recognizable character that some people love, what's wrong with that? it's not that any other composer sounds like him but only better, and does not get the job....

goldsmith, poledouris, williams, silvestri, newman, they all have their own distinctive sound, you don't see them copying themselves?

It's not the style that bothers me, it's the fact you could place any track from one of the scores in another of him, and it would absolutely work. And that's troublesome, because then that means the pace is the same, the tone is the same, the theme is the same
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Lars wrote
    also like his work on Hawaii 5-0. his arrangment of the original theme is fantastic. modern but still with the congeniality of the original theme. and his score for the show, which he co-composed with keith power, is also great. especially the softer moments with the hawaiian flair.

The action music of the show defintely sounds Tyler. Very cool music.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Brian Tyler eh? He's very noisy, I'll give him that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    why can't people jsut appreciate music for what it is and not analyze it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012 edited
    punk
  3. WDWGuy08 wrote

Because with Tyler there is no thematic material to connect to. His sound would be much better if he could write a proper theme that's not a rip-off of previously written material (which ranges from Children of Dune through The Greatest Game Ever Played to Transformers: Prime).

Columbus Circle was good until the action music appeared, but I did make it through the whole album. But to me the most apt and true analysis of his music was when James Southall called it (in context of Transformers: Prime) dog shit. This guy needs a very bitter rejection soon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Or more work on his utterly excellent and exciting Fast And Furious series' work.
    Poop to you all.
    I LIKE (a lot of) his work! tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WDWGuy08 wrote

Shut down the board then! No more discussion on film music ever!

-Erik-

PS - most of post-2003 Tyler music = sleep
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

In that case I very quickly need to say that

THE AVENGERS IS A BETTER SCORE AND MORE ENJOYABLE ALBUM THAN BACK TO THE FUTURE

and nobody will be able to disagree.

Now - shut the board down!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PS: most of post-2003 Tyler music = sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

In that case I very quickly need to say that

THE AVENGERS IS A BETTER SCORE AND MORE ENJOYABLE ALBUM THAN BACK TO THE FUTURE

and nobody will be able to disagree.

Now - shut the board down!

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There.

NOW the thread can be locked and all of you banned.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012
    the only thing brian can't compose that good are heroic themes or militaristic themes. but he is very good in writing emotional themes. Eagle Eye End Title, Neela Drifts, The Lazarus Project End Title, Shelf Life, Tears Of Joy, the lovely emotional motif in War or the last part in Book Em Danno from the Hawaii 5-0 soundtrack.

and his action music is amazing. i love tracks like Potus 111, War Opening Titles, Landtrain, The Fast And The Furious Tokyo Drift or Assassin. all these tracks alone are more exciting and fun to listen than zimmers complete action music from the last 6 years. brians action scores sound often very similar, but you can tell that also about most of the action scores by the rcp guys.
  4. it's good to read I'm not the only one who thinks Tyler's overrated
    and it's good to see Tyler has got his fans

through that we receive: discussions punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's ok, you are the only fan of that "other" Tyler so no harm done wink
  5. Demetris wrote

I'm not alone, I'll never be alone, so that's ok smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote

The "other" Tyler?

....Bonny?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

The "other" Tyler?

....Bonny?

Do not mess with Tyler.....Bonnie. I mean it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

The "other" Tyler?

....Bonny?

biggrin That was my guess too.

...or could it be THIS ONE?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

Oh my....thank you Tim...
  6. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

The "other" Tyler?

....Bonny?

biggrin That was my guess too.

now I see where Liv gets her beautiful hair from, at least not from her mother
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012
    Everything you posted is actually better than the ... Other Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    A couple of years ago when I heard Tyler's Darkness Falls and Frailty, I was pretty amazed and very happy having a composer out there who could write music like this. However, not sure what caused it, maybe the demand for shortsighted producers, his music started to sound too much like Remote Control stuff. He should tone down the relentless full throttle type of action music, and play it more smart like Godlsmith did when writing action music... however I am talking about the old master here... so not really fair to compare. But some more maturity in his writing, less energetic would do wonders I think in Brian's case. Besides, he is a very nice guy, not aloof and such. I chatted in the past a bit with him via myspace I think it was, back in 2007. He seems like a real movie buff, loving stuff like Kraftwerk as well... (great music)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  7. I can vouch personally that Tyler is a very nice person.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    It's not a "who's a nice person" contest though is it. Bernard Herrmann was a cranky, rude and difficult man but if that's sometimes what it takes to get some of the greatest film scores ever written then I'll take that over "he's a nice bloke" any day.
  8. Yeah, I definitely agree, to be honest, a lot of the time I hear on this board that Brian Tyler is a great composer, because he can write for an orchestra, he loves what he's doing and he's a nice guy. That's a bit shallow in my standards.