• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, I definitely agree, to be honest, a lot of the time I hear on this board that Brian Tyler is a great composer, because he can write for an orchestra, he loves what he's doing and he's a nice guy. That's a bit shallow in my standards.

nice guys finish last
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012
    Here is Brian Tylers Universal Pictures Fanfare performed live in Tenerife at Fimucite 6 on July 14th, 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_U_gFYyOIU&feature=g-hist
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kind of a missed opportunity to incorporate McHugh and Horner's themes into the piece, especially when celebrating 100 years of a studio.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    The Soundtrack for The Expendables 2 IS coming out, for sure! I just heard back from Brian Tyler on that!
  2. Oh joy sleep
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. The CD will be expendable.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    Dt you're getting quite cynical my friend, you have to check that out wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I'm not sure I will, personally.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012
    Expandables 2

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/08/09 … k-details/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Can't wait!

'Rest in Pieces' biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I want it badly too!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    you can already listen to the samples when you open the itunes player

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/exp … d551503819

sounds like great kick-ass action score. i think better than the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks! I already enjoyed the first one too, i think i will like this more smile
  5. The only reason I keep checking out this topic is to see which scores I must avoid. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorsweetin
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012
    He needs to go back to doing scores like Children of Dune and Partition rather than this action-heavy stuff. Even if they're derivative, they're really enjoyable melodically. And memorable. Hummable even.

I still like his recent forays into more ambient territory like The Killing Room and Brake. Its just when he tries to write music for action films and games he seems to keep using the same theme over and over again. Maybe its 'cause the projects suck, I don't know...the kind of projects he's been working on, I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve him if he's blaming someone else...I imagine things like Transformers Prime would require strict adherence to a temp track...but who knows. He's obviously capable of writing great melodic stuff. A piece like "Inama Nushif" tends to get overlooked because of its structural similarity to Zimmer's "Now We Are Free", but its really a wonderful piece in its own right, with its own unique personality. He obviously has talent. Even if its become latent wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    He needs to go back to doing scores like Children of Dune and Partition rather than this action-heavy stuff.

Agree 100%. I'd like to see him do more downtempo stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    He needs to go back to doing scores like Children of Dune and Partition rather than this action-heavy stuff. Even if they're derivative, they're really enjoyable melodically. And memorable. Hummable even.

Because they aren't his themes. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Fortunately, I'm not familiar with whatever scores those themes are supposed to be copied from, so to me they're his themes...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here. I think Erik's exaggerating a bit; who is a real theme creator these days?
  6. James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Same here. I think Erik's exaggerating a bit; who is a real theme creator these days?

"Tyler's" Children of Dune is one half Rabin's Deep Blue Sea and one half Henry Mancini's Lifeforce. Throw some Gladiator in there and a handful of other scores... no thanks!

Partition's main theme is a terrible variation of Horner's love theme from The Mask of Zorro.

Shameless!

-Erik-
  7. Seriously, though, real theme creators:

James Horner (he still really does! ...not every time, but...)
    John Williams
    John Powell
    Howard Shore
    Mark McKenzie
    Philippe Rombi
    Abel Korzeniowski
    Dario Marianelli

To name a few.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What exactly is a "real" theme?

I'm always amazing at how people diss Zimmer for down fall of thematic film scores when most of his scores are actually littered with melody!

-Erik-
  8. I don't think the similarity between Partition and Zorro is too close. Plus, there are at least two other themes in Partition.
  9. I don't know what a "real" theme is. Just quoting D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

"Tyler's" Children of Dune is one half Rabin's Deep Blue Sea and one half Henry Mancini's Lifeforce. Throw some Gladiator in there and a handful of other scores... no thanks!

Partition's main theme is a terrible variation of Horner's love theme from The Mask of Zorro.

Shameless!

-Erik-

2 scores. Other than those which could have been out of his league and / or early career, he has a wholly different, easily recognizable style all these years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    What exactly is a "real" theme?

I'm always amazing at how people diss Zimmer for down fall of thematic film scores when most of his scores are actually littered with melody!

-Erik-

christopher wrote
    I don't know what a "real" theme is. Just quoting D.

I mean that very few things sound original anymore, in film music. Everything has been done, any theme you might try to come up with, it will resemble someone else before you, one way or the other. It's fusing it with sound design elements and distinct orchestration that most composers are doing whilst they try to create a recognizable style for themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    I don't think the similarity between Partition and Zorro is too close.

It's pretty obvious!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    2 scores. Other than those which could have been out of his league and / or early career, he has a wholly different, easily recognizable style all these years.

He was able to write some strikingly original material before writing those two scores. Terror Tract, Darkness Falls, The Hunted, Frailty come to mind!

And his "style" is all over the place.

-Erik-