• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Far Cry 3 does absolutely zip for me other than the nice theme in the bookend tracks. I mean, everything in between is just electronica and percussion, isn't it? Surprised it was that score of all things that turned you around on him...
  2. Well, I always found Tyler a bit inconsequent. He never took a sound idea to its fullest capacity. And I found Far Cry 3 rather brave and coherent, which showed me that he can actually pull something like this off. On the other hand, a generally praised as "different", Columbus Circle fell apart in its major action setpiece, where the whole subtle minor-major key idea degenerated into noise for a few minutes, therefore the coherence wasn't kept.

I had the same beef with Truth recently, essentially a very good score and one I really liked, where suddenly there's a big dissonant percussive action piece, which makes no sense anywhere in the maintained orchestration and thematic style. As it turned out, it's not even featured in the film!

So my turn-around was because of the coherence and consistency within the planned soundscape. Yes, it's a brutal score, but the game is not, thematically, a walk in the park either.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Yeah, sorry, I'll take an incoherent soundscape with segments I like over a "coherent" one that's as gnarly and impenetrable as Far Cry 3's. tongue
  4. Played the game? I did (didn't finish as I found it boring as hell). Always think of the context smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Context is overrated. I'm sick of people always falling back on it as a defense of a score that simply doesn't work on its own (cf. my exchange with Demetris regarding Rust and Bone in the other thread!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    Well scores are meant to be experienced through context too aren't they? life sucks wink it's not standalone compositions in any way, despite the fact that some of us lunatics exist and listen to this stuff offline wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Thor and I might not agree on many things, but I certainly do agree with him in terms of judging scores in vs. out of context. When I'm listening to the music on its own, the only thing I care about is how well it works as music. Context plays no role for me whatsoever - well, it can a bonus if it's a score for a movie which I like and am familiar with (e.g. Lord of the Rings), but I very strongly disagree with those who say you have to have it in order to be able to judge a score properly (and I'm not saying you think that, but it's something I do see a lot 'round the interwebs).

I have not once in my life watched a film and done a complete 180 on its score (in either direction!). A slight shading at most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    I don't say it's always necessary, but it surely enhances, a lot. If i were a composer, i'd surely want the listeners to also experience the medium i wrote the music for. It's not like they have the utmost creative freedom, most of the times at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm trying to draw up a list of scores featured in last night's concert (and eventually trying to gather together all the available tracks to 'recreate' the running order. Below is my remembered list from the night. Me being the 'veteran' of the evening, I may have forgotten one or two.

Can anyone else remember more that I may have forgotten. And can anyone put together a running order for the scores (and maybe even tracks used?)

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Children of Dune
    Constantine
    The Expendables
    Far Cry 3
    Fast Five
    The Greatest Game Ever Played
    Iron Man 3
    Marvel
    Now You See Me 2
    Partition
    Star Trek: Enterprise
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Thor: The Dark World
    Transformers: Prime
    Triumph of the Spirit
    (Superman)
    (Hawaii Five-O)

I'm interested in recreating the playlist as well. I prefer knowing the tracks (or tracks closest to the suites played) over the running order though. A week has passed and I only remember it started of with Thor!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    From memory:

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem - "Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem"
    Avengers: Age of Ultron - "Rise Together" - they immediately then played "Asgard" from Thor 2
    Children of Dune "Summon The Worms"
    The Expendables - "The Expendables"
    Far Cry 3 - "Far Cry 3"
    Fast Five "Fast Five"
    Iron Man 3 - "Iron Man 3"
    Marvel - "Marvel Studios Fanfare" - full version unreleased, but check out Erik's show where he featured it
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"
    Thor: The Dark World - "Thor: The Dark World" and "Into Eternity" (and "Asgard" which was joined onto the Avengers cue)
    Transformers: Prime - "Transformers: Prime"
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016 edited
    I've had 2 different running orders from two different people and, as near as I can tell, this is the order:

Part One

"Thor: The Dark World" from Thor: The Dark World
    "Now You See Me" from Now You See Me
    "Iron Man 3" from Iron Man 3
    Not sure but I've used "Main Theme" from Far Cry 3
    "Partition" from Partition
    Not sure but I've used "Kuroda - Suite" from Star Trek: Enterprise (Canamar episode)
    "Suite" for Marvel Studios Logo
    "Inama Nushif (Montage)" followed by "Summon The Worms" from Children of Dune
    "Deo et Patri" and a second piece following from Constantine
    "The Greatest Game Ever Played" from The Greatest Game Ever Played
    "Fast Five" from Fast Five
    Not sure but I've used "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" from TMNT

Part Two

Premier play so no track (but there is a small clip of recording sessions on YouTube - Now You See Me 2
    Not sure but I've used "The Expendables" from The Expendables
    "Into Eternity" from Thor: The Dark World
    Not sure but I've used "Transformers: Prime" from Transformers: Prime
    "Drift and Fall Again" from Criminal
    Not sure but I've used "Call of Duty: MW3" from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    Not sure but I've used "Avengers: Age of Ultron Title" from Avengers: Age of Ultron
    "Aliens vs Predator: Requiem" from Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
    "Theme from Superman" from Superman
    "Main Title" from Hawaii Five-O
    I've used this - https://youtu.be/aO3AnSGBFmM - Triumph of the Spirit

Any suggestions for the tracks I am not sure about would be welcomed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thank you both so much! :D

And Alan: Triumph of the Spirit is on Soundcloud.

I listened to that one a lot today. But I always have to think of The Pollen Jocks and Barry's First Flight from Bee Movie. XD
    Still, great theme and orchestration.
  7. Bregje wrote
    Thank you both so much! :D

And Alan: Triumph of the Spirit is on Soundcloud.

I listened to that one a lot today. But I always have to think of The Pollen Jocks and Barry's First Flight from Bee Movie. XD
    Still, great theme and orchestration.

I don't have that reference as I have never heard Bee Movie!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    https://youtu.be/aO3AnSGBFmM - Triumph of the Spirit

lol

I had no idea this was written for golf!? I assumed it was for some Olympics-type thing. That's hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine piece of music, and a breath of fresh air coming from Tyler. But it's a little, dare I say, bombastic for... golf.
  8. Looking at the footage on the YouTube video and knowing how American sports coverage goes way over the top, Tyler's music fits right in with that I think.
  9. Bregje wrote
    Triumph of the Spirit is on Soundcloud.

And I see that a *.wav version of the track can be downloaded too!

https://soundcloud.com/briantyler/triumph-of-the-spirit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Looking at the footage on the YouTube video and knowing how American sports coverage goes way over the top, Tyler's music fits right in with that I think.

That doesn't make it any less hilarious!

I mean... golf. Golf! Give me a break. biggrin

Still, out of the silliness comes a nice piece of music, so it's hardly a complaint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Haha, that was hilarious. If I hadn't known better, I'd be convinced that was a piss-take.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Looking at the footage on the YouTube video and knowing how American sports coverage goes way over the top, Tyler's music fits right in with that I think.

It's not written for the game specifically... it's written for the coverage of the game, which is rather dramatic and dare I say filmic! Tyler music is the same sort of cinematic cue written for NFL films overly dramatic yet simply irresistible series of National Football League documentaries and films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. David Robidoux's NFL Films scores are excellent.
  11. Anyone who was at the concert and knows Tyler's Far Cry 3 score...I am beginning to think that the track featured in the concert was track 17, "Further." Mostly because of the violin solo on the track: I seem to recall the rhythmic strings as well as the solo violinist.

Yes? No? Anyone care? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Still, out of the silliness comes a nice piece of music, so it's hardly a complaint.

I find golf and tennis equally hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not that I find the games themselves hilarious. I love tennis! But golf hardly requires a John Williams-esque Olympic theme. At least tennis requires athleticism. Golf is more of a game than a sport.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    It's not that I find the games themselves hilarious. I love tennis! But golf hardly requires a John Williams-esque Olympic theme.

Golf is NOW an Olympic sport.

Steven wrote
    At least tennis requires athleticism. Golf is more of a game than a sport.

You're are out of your fucking mind. Have you walked a championship 18 hole golf course 5 times in one week in the blazing hot sun? Yeah... it requires endurance, athleticism and a shit ton of skill.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're out of your fucking mind! biggrin Athleticism? Sure, taking a sweaty walk may require a certain amount of endurance, but athleticism? Nah. Hardly compares to going 5 sets in the same heat against an equally determined opponent. An Olympic concert theme is so out of place in golf, no matter how Americans like to dress it up. It's fucking retarded.

I fear we're getting a little off topic though...
  12. To think, all this time when I was going to Wal-Mart, I wasn't shopping, I was competing! tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. It seems that Tyler's "Triumph of the Spirit" could have been written for any sporting coverage. As well as being about America's participation in these sporting events (the Coplandesque feel to the piece), the music shouts honour, grandeur and all that's good about taking part - and with it being American, about the glories of winning.

Any kind of sporting montage placed up against this track and it would elevate the subject to the greatest sporting game. Maybe someone with a bit of time on their hands could put together a montage of tiddlywinks and it would look great.

Yep, muting this - https://youtu.be/lAEFCbUGH1k - and playing 'Triumph of the Spirits' over the video works a treat! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lol

That's... incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, very spot on, basically this kind of music screams what you described, which could also be labelled simply as: 'MURICA' instead wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think we all need to appreciate tiddlywinks with Tyler's music. This is my new favourite thing.