• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016
    I have no problem with golf being included in the Olympics, after all it is called The Olympic Games
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I have no problem with golf being included in the Olympics, after all it is called The Olympic Games

Me neither! As a general theme for games, plural, I'm on board with it. But as a specific theme for golf, no. C'mon. It's over doing it to the point of satire, as Alan brilliantly made an example of.
  1. Citius, altius, fortius ... what exactly applies with golf? But anyway, I'm fine with that too.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I seem to be fighting a losing battle here. dizzy I'm drawing a distinction between Olympic games, plural, and a specific game, golf within the context of appropriate music. (I was also drawing a distinction between sports and games, given that one tends to involve more physical exertion than the other.) I'm not saying golf should not be an Olympic game. I'm not even denigrating it.

Tiddlywinks. James Horner. Skyfall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Me neither! As a general theme for games, plural, I'm on board with it. But as a specific theme for golf, no. C'mon. It's over doing it to the point of satire, as Alan brilliantly made an example of.

Don't get me wrong, on that I'm in agreement. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I like the theme well enough. No competition though with William's 1984 LA Olympic Fanfare that will probably forever be my favourite piece from that genre.

I recently noticed that they play Horner's theme from "The Amazing Spider-Man" in the arena prior to international football games here in Germany.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    You're out of your fucking mind! biggrin Athleticism? Sure, taking a sweaty walk may require a certain amount of endurance, but athleticism? Nah. Hardly compares to going 5 sets in the same heat against an equally determined opponent. An Olympic concert theme is so out of place in golf, no matter how Americans like to dress it up. It's fucking retarded.

I'm not disagreeing that Tennis is more athletic than Golf. Anyone who would think so is indeed retarded. But golf does take some sort of athleticism to play.

BTW, there is more to being an athlete then brute strength. You also have to be mentally prepared and tough to play ANY sport. However, when you can hit a golf ball 400 yards an a froze rope time and time again like Tiger Woods did in his prime then, yeah, I consider the best of the best golfers athletes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yep, muting this - https://youtu.be/lAEFCbUGH1k - and playing 'Triumph of the Spirits' over the video works a treat! wink

Mute that and play any of Williams' Olympic theme. Same result. What's the point?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. No point whatsoever.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alllllllllrighty then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then I suppose with most disagreements, it's a semantic one. I still contend such overtly noble and bombastic music is ill-fitting for golf.

Again, I'm all for golf being an Olympic game. It takes a great deal of skill to play it properly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The only time golf was ever fun wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Who says there's no athletics in golf ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder if they train for that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone who was at the concert and knows Tyler's Far Cry 3 score...I am beginning to think that the track featured in the concert was track 17, "Further." Mostly because of the violin solo on the track: I seem to recall the rhythmic strings as well as the solo violinist.

Yes? No? Anyone care? wink

It was the last track on the album. (That and the first track are the only ones I like.)

I had such a whirlwind weekend (things to do on the Saturday, out all day on the Sunday, then going on holiday on Sunday night) it was a very rushed visit for me so I hardly got to speak to anyone, which is a great shame. Hopefully next time. It was great to finally meet Martijn, Anthony and Thomas and see Alan, Bregt, Bregje and Jim again, and Jon who rarely posts here but was a really good friend when he lived in the UK. Just sorry I barely got to speak to you all!
  5. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone who was at the concert and knows Tyler's Far Cry 3 score...I am beginning to think that the track featured in the concert was track 17, "Further." Mostly because of the violin solo on the track: I seem to recall the rhythmic strings as well as the solo violinist.

Yes? No? Anyone care? wink

It was the last track on the album. (That and the first track are the only ones I like.)

I had such a whirlwind weekend (things to do on the Saturday, out all day on the Sunday, then going on holiday on Sunday night) it was a very rushed visit for me so I hardly got to speak to anyone, which is a great shame. Hopefully next time. It was great to finally meet Martijn, Anthony and Thomas and see Alan, Bregt, Bregje and Jim again, and Jon who rarely posts here but was a really good friend when he lived in the UK. Just sorry I barely got to speak to you all!

I'm sure such opportunities to meet one again will happen once more in the near future beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Nice to see the snippets of footage from Tyler's London beginning to appear on the web.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2016
    Yes, on his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/briantyler?fref=nf
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016
  7. Another Review for Now You See Me 2
    https://synchrotones.wordpress.com/2016 … ian-tyler/

Thanks.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well I meant it as genuine shock, hence the roll-eyes. Don't take this the wrong way but the guy deserves no award, not even a virtual one... I've yet to hear a score by him worthy of an award, which means to have done something amazing, something that excels composition-wise, music that's the opposite of generic and dull.

Just curious who you would have picked for that year?

For me composer of the year is someone who combines quality with quantity. I believe Tyler composed six scores that year, none of which I'd classify as "amazing", exactly, and a couple of which are fairly generic I'll admit (Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel really wasn't much to write home about). But none of them are bad, and a few of them are quite good indeed. I'm not saying it was a James-Horner-in-1995 kind of performance, but little is.

Have you even heard the Tyler scores in question? Now You See Me, for instance? That's not what I'd call a dull score.

From the other topic, as to not derail that one:

I've said this before but because of the general dislike (I even call it disgust most of the time) I have of anything he writes for films, I never find it worthwhile to spend the little time I have to listen to his output. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to be willing to do so... biggrin

But I see quite a few of the films he composes for and to me they all sound completely soulless, generic, bland, background music just for that sake of it. Sure some of them have themes, but those themes do absolutely squat for me... I mean has the guy ever done a completely longwinded lyrical theme that's emotionally impactful? It's like he's constantly on auto-pilot mode, going through the motions of what he thinks the scene requires and 90% of the time doing nothing to improve that scene. He's never once made me stood up and say: well that's something I wouldn't have expected from him, because this theme moved me or that bit of music did something that made the scene better.

That film Now You See Me I saw it one time and if I recall correctly that one had a little bit more creative spark, but again not something I would want to hear away from the film, let alone let the score go into my collection.

I seriously have zero interest to make the effort to listen to him away from his films. There's tons of great music out there that deserve my attention, not this third-rate would-be composer that gets all the high-profile gigs that used to go to Goldsmith, Horner, Poledouris, Broughton, Williams and so many others that have fallen off the radar (or are deceased).

He's a good rock musician and seems to enjoy that, but as someone who wants to follow in the footsteps of those above he fails miserably.

He seems like a friendly guy though. So he's not all bad. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well I meant it as genuine shock, hence the roll-eyes. Don't take this the wrong way but the guy deserves no award, not even a virtual one... I've yet to hear a score by him worthy of an award, which means to have done something amazing, something that excels composition-wise, music that's the opposite of generic and dull.

Just curious who you would have picked for that year?

For me composer of the year is someone who combines quality with quantity. I believe Tyler composed six scores that year, none of which I'd classify as "amazing", exactly, and a couple of which are fairly generic I'll admit (Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel really wasn't much to write home about). But none of them are bad, and a few of them are quite good indeed. I'm not saying it was a James-Horner-in-1995 kind of performance, but little is.

Have you even heard the Tyler scores in question? Now You See Me, for instance? That's not what I'd call a dull score.

From the other topic, as to not derail that one:

I've said this before but because of the general dislike (I even call it disgust most of the time) I have of anything he writes for films, I never find it worthwhile to spend the little time I have to listen to his output. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to be willing to do so... biggrin

But I see quite a few of the films he composes for and to me they all sound completely soulless, generic, bland, background music just for that sake of it. Sure some of them have themes, but those themes do absolutely squat for me... I mean has the guy ever done a completely longwinded lyrical theme that's emotionally impactful? It's like he's constantly on auto-pilot mode, going through the motions of what he thinks the scene requires and 90% of the time doing nothing to improve that scene. He's never once made me stood up and say: well that's something I wouldn't have expected from him, because this theme moved me or that bit of music did something that made the scene better.

That film Now You See Me I saw it one time and if I recall correctly that one had a little bit more creative spark, but again not something I would want to hear away from the film, let alone let the score go into my collection.

I seriously have zero interest to make the effort to listen to him away from his films. There's tons of great music out there that deserve my attention, not this third-rate would-be composer that gets all the high-profile gigs that used to go to Goldsmith, Horner, Poledouris, Broughton, Williams and so many others that have fallen off the radar (or are deceased).

He's a good rock musician and seems to enjoy that, but as someone who wants to follow in the footsteps of those above he fails miserably.

He seems like a friendly guy though. So he's not all bad. smile

I think the concert of Tyler last year in London summarizes things quite nicely.

All in all everybody enjoyed the concert, sometimes it was a hell of a blast and it showed his shortcommings and strenghts as a composer (aka several themes sounding remarkably the same, some themes which made the film better)

But the moment he composed 2 bonus cues from other composers (Hawai 5-0 and Superman) everybody somehow loved the change of tone and (in the case of Williams) the level of sophistication and development. For me he's a good composer, but he needs to do something about his tone. It usually sounds the same.

But I would pick him over several composers easily, composers who nowadays are getting assignments, all the while they have no idea how to make a score epic. If Tyler does one thing well, he creates one hell of a sound. A big sound. Again something the concert confirmed all too well.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    And additionally: it's FUN to listen to!
    Which these days is a massive plus.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    For me he's a good composer, but he needs to do something about his tone. It usually sounds the same.

Sounds like you're trying to defend a one-trick pony. He writes in one style and you're ok with that...
    You should listen to the (good) composers I listen to... Problem is they don't work in the field of orchestral music. So you'll probably never want to listen. tongue

I've basically put everything how I feel about Tyler in that post. Unless he makes a radical change in style I don't see myself change my ways either. Why should I force myself to listen to something that leaves me completely cold?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I am still hoping for another gem like Children of Dune.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's strange that people cite that as one of his shining achievements... it's awful compared to his more recent scores. Sounds almost amateurish.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    For me he's a good composer, but he needs to do something about his tone. It usually sounds the same.

Sounds like you're trying to defend a one-trick pony. He writes in one style and you're ok with that...
    You should listen to the (good) composers I listen to... Problem is they don't work in the field of orchestral music. So you'll probably never want to listen. tongue

I've basically put everything how I feel about Tyler in that post. Unless he makes a radical change in style I don't see myself change my ways either. Why should I force myself to listen to something that leaves me completely cold?

And have you tried any of his scores that feature a radically different style than what he normally does? I'm thinking of PARTITION, STANDING UP, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED, etc. Those are quite different for him, and far more enjoyable to my ears than his standard action scores (which I might add that I actually prefer to similar scores by many of his peers).

Here's the End Title track from Partition. I think it's excellent and features the best of what that score has to offer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkozhnj … p;index=26

Here's the main theme from STANDING UP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXmnFRI5oE

Another atypical Tyler composition that really impressed me what this one, from TRUTH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNWIBRHumNw

Maybe you've heard all of these, but in case you haven't, you might find them enjoyable. It's interesting at least to see what Tyler does when he's given a chance to compose against type.
  11. Steven wrote
    It's strange that people cite that as one (Children of Dune) of his shining achievements... it's awful compared to his more recent scores. Sounds almost amateurish.

W.t.f. ??!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's strange that people cite that as one (Children of Dune) of his shining achievements... it's awful compared to his more recent scores. Sounds almost amateurish.

W.t.f. ??!?

Indeed. slant
    What is WRONG with you, young master Steven?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. If I had to pick a score that sounds amateurish compared to most of his oeuvre (in fact, all his oeuvre) it would be Rambo, which for Brian Tyler standards has really subpar orchestrations. It's actually one of the two Tyler scores I strongly dislike now, so I'm biased biggrin (I had a massive re-evaluation of his work a few years ago, after Far Cry 3).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website