• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    I've never understood why Brian Tyler is such a "hot potato" topic.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Because he has decent orchestrations and is an overall nice guy. But on an intellectual level his music isn't exactly high on the list.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    Tyler mostly leaves me stone cold. He's a functionable composer who at times presses my buttons but they're few and far between. I remember people raving over his Dune score which was the first score of his I bought, besides one or two tracks it doesn't really float my boat.

I like him and it would be nicer if I liked his music more but I don't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's strange that people cite that as one (Children of Dune) of his shining achievements... it's awful compared to his more recent scores. Sounds almost amateurish.

W.t.f. ??!?

Indeed. slant
    What is WRONG with you, young master Steven?

Admittedly I haven't listened to it for years, but I distinctly remember being thoroughly underwhelmed by it. His Now You See Me scores are probably his best. Fact. Factaroony.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Tyler mostly leaves me stone cold. He's a functionable composer who at times presses my buttons but they're few and far between. I remember people raving over his Dune score which was the first score of his I bought, besides one or two tracks it doesn't really float my boat.

I like him and it would be nicer if I liked his music more but I don't.

My thoughts exactly... I have sold off all Brian Tyler albums I ever owned: Timeline. Just the one. I have not shed a single tear for that.

He's more adept at playing his beloved instruments, like the electric guitar or the drums. Had he been in a rock band I'd probably have bought an album or two (or more) already. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017 edited
    I have two Brian Tylers myself -- STANDING UP and TRANSFORMERS: PRIME. The first is more lowkey, the second is classical, melodic RC pastiche. Like 'em both.

Last night, I rewatched ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM, and really liked the score -- especially how he mirrored Goldsmith, Horner and Silvestri throughout.

Otherwise, he's very hit and miss for me (perhaps more miss than hit), but I'm rather flabbergasted why he's become such a big 'discussion point'. Is it because of his success? Is it because he lacks a coherent style (outside the bombastic and percussive)? As Pawel says above, there is surely some sort of discrepancy going on somewhere that would warrant such attention.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote

Last night, I rewatched ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM, and really liked the score -- especially how he mirrored Goldsmith, Horner and Silvestri throughout.

I hate that noise fest with a passion. slant

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, not sure I'd get much enjoyment from it on album, but I like the leitmotivic use in the film -- even if it sometimes foreshadowed the suspense too much ("ah, there's the Silvestri-ian percussion again; must mean we're in PREDATOR territory", "ah, there's the Goldsmith effects; must mean the xenomorphs are the biggest threat now" and so forth). I guess I mostly like the respect for the styles of the previous ALIEN and PREDATOR music -- I'm a sucker for continuity that way.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

I hate that noise fest with a passion. slant

Volker

Me too. The film is worse though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The film is bad, yes (especially everything that revolves around the teenage issues), but re-watching it just yesterday, I thought it was pretty intense in several scenes. That sequence when the waitress is about to leave the restaurant, hears a noise in the kitchen, returns and then sees some chestbursters, turns around to walk away, but then a xenomorph strides through the flap door and kills her.

I don't know; it mirrors some of my own nightmares, when xenomorphs are running around in my actual surroundings.

Of course, ALIEN 5 was supposed to be about this, i.e. aliens on Earth, as that's where ALIEN 4 leaves off. But since that never happened, this film "used up" that concept, and in an unsatisfying way, which is one of the reasons why I will never forgive it, the continuity junkie that I am.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. christopher wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    For me he's a good composer, but he needs to do something about his tone. It usually sounds the same.

Sounds like you're trying to defend a one-trick pony. He writes in one style and you're ok with that...
    You should listen to the (good) composers I listen to... Problem is they don't work in the field of orchestral music. So you'll probably never want to listen. tongue

I've basically put everything how I feel about Tyler in that post. Unless he makes a radical change in style I don't see myself change my ways either. Why should I force myself to listen to something that leaves me completely cold?

And have you tried any of his scores that feature a radically different style than what he normally does? I'm thinking of PARTITION, STANDING UP, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED, etc. Those are quite different for him, and far more enjoyable to my ears than his standard action scores (which I might add that I actually prefer to similar scores by many of his peers).

Here's the End Title track from Partition. I think it's excellent and features the best of what that score has to offer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkozhnj … p;index=26

Here's the main theme from STANDING UP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXmnFRI5oE

Another atypical Tyler composition that really impressed me what this one, from TRUTH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNWIBRHumNw

Maybe you've heard all of these, but in case you haven't, you might find them enjoyable. It's interesting at least to see what Tyler does when he's given a chance to compose against type.

I've heard Partition (lovely score but extremely repetitive about its theme) and The Greatest Game Ever Played (one of his most magical scores, and yes definitely different from his usual repertoire). His fault doesn't lie in the past, because then he was creative in his sound and powerful in his action (Darkness Falls rocks). I'm more talking about him NOW. These last couple of years he composed some rollicking fun scores, but sometimes you could just swap them from movie and you would hardly hear the difference.

I guess if he shortened his albums, he would already fix a lot of problems.

Standing Up sounds nice, I need to search for that one.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Ps, movies for instance that benefit from a Strong Tyler sound.

Eagle Eye, love the movie and his rhythmic action sound makes the movie a lot of fun.
    The Greatest Game Ever Played, a lovely movie from the late Bill Paxton and a score that has a lot of heart
    Turtles, I like the movie because it was fun, and he delivered a powerful score (despite being Iron Man 3 based)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    These last couple of years he composed some rollicking fun scores

Turtles, I like the movie because it was fun, and he delivered a powerful score (despite being Iron Man 3 based)

You are now officially on my ignore list. rolleyes

Oh, wait ... slant
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's strange that people cite that as one (Children of Dune) of his shining achievements... it's awful compared to his more recent scores. Sounds almost amateurish.

W.t.f. ??!?

Indeed. slant
    What is WRONG with you, young master Steven?

it's a tad simpler and more straightforward to the more recent scores he puts out, but it's got soul and passion of a young composer starting out and showing the world what's he got In store, unlike his more recent, autopilotish bring me the check kind of scores wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. It's also got the soul and passion of a film score fan wanting to show off what scores by other people he thinks are cool. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017
    He's recording the The Mummy at Abbey Road this week.
  8. Jim Ware wrote
    He's recording the The Mummy at Abbey Road this week.

Ah, is that what he's doing in London.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's also got the soul and passion of a film score fan wanting to show off what scores by other people he thinks are cool. tongue

Very true smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2017
    The main theme to his power rangers score sounds sweet though!

see the video here:
    https://www.facebook.com/briantyler?hc_ … mp;fref=nf
  9. One FSM useer's thoughts on the "Power Rangers" score:

Oh no, another fail from Tyler. I know he has bills to pay and he probably wants to do some awesome Goldenthalian balletics on his own time, but no excuse to produce a copycat Jablonsky score that sounds 10 years out of date.

Seriously, what is with the poor synthetics here (no, they do not sound like Vangelis!) and the omnipresent Batman ostinato, plus Dark Knight two notey-groany theme? I thought this stuff was gone a few years ago, but clearly not.

Not as bad as the latest XXX fiasco - not many scores ever have been! - but this is so derivative, so 2005-2007.

And the ridiculously bad Tyler fanfare, check The Zords from 1:10 onwards, which is the basis of most of his stuff, including Timeline and arrangement of the Universal Fanfare, sounds cheaper and Randy Edelmanesque!

Who pays him for this stuff? Anyone could do this score in an afternoon.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's also got the soul and passion of a film score fan wanting to show off what scores by other people he thinks are cool. tongue

Very true smile

Since I don't know any any of the blood donating scores in question I couldn't care less.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. I think we've had this conversation before, Volker, but I highly doubt you haven't heard Gladiator...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    The main theme to his power rangers score sounds sweet though!

see the video here:
    https://www.facebook.com/briantyler?hc_ … mp;fref=nf

If by sweet you mean bland, then yes, it is.
  12. So a score about the mighty Power Rangers gets the most derivative, bland piece of work by a very high in demand composer / rock star.

This is so surprising to me that I can't express how disappointing this is.

Ok, I'll get my coat. Couldn't resist though... tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very bland.
  13. If Hollywood says that bland is the new good, who are we to argue with that. rolleyes
  14. It's bland even by Tyler's standards. I know you don't like anything he's ever done, DT, but you must hear a difference at least between this and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm no Tyler fan but I quite like TMNT
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    If Hollywood says that bland is the new good, who are we to argue with that. rolleyes

All it would take is someone to write a "proper" theme that becomes a huge hit for the wigs to insist their films have memorable themes.
  15. Ok I'll admit something here because it's time to get off my high horse.

I have not heard this latest score, or any of the 30 or so he did before this one.

I once bought Timeline, which I heard a few times then sold it off, because it got seriously grating after a while.

I heard a couple of others after that, blandness already started creeping in.

I like 3 cues from AvP: Requiem, that's it ! The rest is just noise, and it's a score that makes me physically angry. Because it gives me a headache... crazy

I haven't been motivated since to listen to anything he writes. I barely tolerate what I hear in the films he scores, and what I keep hearing is the same repetitive patterns, the same bland orchestrations, the soulless, derivative themes, the abscence of emotion and pulling at the heartstrings, and the inability to write exhilarating action music. Which is what I look for in music.

I could go on about this for hours but I've talked about this enough now.

DT hates BT. Let's leave it at that. wave