• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2009
    demetris said it wasn't that good, so i didn't plan on buying it...but maybe...?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ...maybe he tricked us! shocked angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Talos wrote
    I wonder why nobody mentioned anything yet regarding the new Tyler score" The Lazarus Project" I bought that one a couple of days ago, and its a nice little hypnotic score.

Yes, it's very nice indeed. I wrote my review of it yesterday (so far unpublished) and "hypnotic" is a word I certainly used!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Well, I got it last week, but honestly I think it's a rather boring effort...
  1. BasilB wrote

I listened to the clips available and wasn't particularly impressed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BasilB wrote

Not a score you can really appreciate with 30 sec clips Alan. As James says, hypnotic and very different than the usual Tyler actioneer.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2009 edited
    Talos wrote
    I wonder why nobody mentioned anything yet regarding the new Tyler score" The Lazarus Project" I bought that one a couple of days ago, and its a nice little hypnotic score.

It's hypnotic. It's moody, it's drony at places; lots of other composers do it, some even better (David Julyan for one and Cliff Martinez's stuff which is ages better). Why should i pay particular attention to Tyler's?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Talos wrote

It's hypnotic. It's moody, it's drony at places; lots of other composers do it, some even better (David Julyan for one and Cliff Martinez's stuff which is ages better). Why should i pay particular attention to Tyler's?

I much prefer it to either of those composer's equivalents, though I know that places me in the minority.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The clips sounded alright though I doubt I'll bother to buy it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. We have a showbusiness program here, they were doing a piece on the premiere of the Fast & Furious movie, during the interviews they showed brief snippets of the movie

And guess what? Tyler's music sounded like everything he's ever done before rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Tyler is capable of pretty decent quality scoring, but he's choosing crappy projects with very little time to do them. Because Tyler is no Goldsmith, he needs a lot of time and artistic input from the director to be able to produce something genuinely decent.

Perhaps when he slows down a bit, he'll do something more worthwhile?
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    Talos wrote

i mentioned it a while back, see first post on top of page here:

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ian-tyler/

also i have posted all 6 parts of the artistshousemusic interview with brian tyler on my site located here:

http://web.me.com/cbarrywdw03/BrianTyle … t._II.html

in other news, there will be an interview with brian tyler regarding his music on the dragonball dvd release

and tylers score for fast and furious 4 will be released on april 28 by varese sarabande. see details here:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … %2D960%2D2

also, you can hear some samples of the score to fast and furious 4 on brian tylers myspace page, here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu … =201285834

that's it for the news, for now, enjoy!

-chris-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I think Tyler is capable of pretty decent quality scoring, but he's choosing crappy projects with very little time to do them. Because Tyler is no Goldsmith, he needs a lot of time and artistic input from the director to be able to produce something genuinely decent.

Perhaps when he slows down a bit, he'll do something more worthwhile?

Or they're getting to them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And guess what? Tyler's music sounded like everything he's ever done before rolleyes

Even Varese seems to agree:

Brian Tyler, who composed the best score of the franchise for Tokyo Drift, returns to supercharge this latest model.

Are they secretly saying Fast & Furious is inferior to Tokyo Drift?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; we HAVE to listen to Varese's score descriptions 'cause they've been so spot-on lately biggrin tongue wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall

3. at least this sounds more promising, thanks James
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah; we HAVE to listen to Varese's score descriptions 'cause they've been so spot-on lately biggrin tongue wink kiss

To be honest, they only put stupid descriptions on for scores that they know aren't that special. Look at the Lost one, it's just "Michael Giacchino's brilliant soundtrack." No cheese, whatsoever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah, back to the Varese descriptions. I know it falls on deaf ears, but ask yourself what you would write about an average score if you were a record company. "Brian Tyler's score sounds like all his others and the album's 45 minutes too long" wouldn't be a big seller, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Ah, back to the Varese descriptions. I know it falls on deaf ears, but ask yourself what you would write about an average score if you were a record company. "Brian Tyler's score sounds like all his others and the album's 45 minutes too long" wouldn't be a big seller, probably.

Nothing. Just tracklisting, movie description, release dates, sound clips. Save some dignity. I hate it when labels underestimate people's I.Q and tastes; we aren't friggin stupid and we have ears you know. Same goes for Cinemedia's promos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Nothing. Just tracklisting, movie description, release dates, sound clips. Save some dignity. I hate it when labels underestimate people's I.Q and tastes; we aren't friggin stupid and we have ears you know. Same goes for Cinemedia's promos.

Well, yeah, but as I've said before, the PR isn't really directed towards the likes of you and me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2009
    I don't think that the general SCORE CD BUYING public differs largely from you and me. The rest, simply don't buy film music.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't think that the general SCORE CD BUYING public differs largely from you and me. The rest, simply don't buy film music.

Exactly. Most of us here will know whether or not to buy a soundtrack depending on composer, tracklisting and movie it's associated with. We don't need to know if it's "apocalyptic" or "striking and exotic". That just sounds cheesy (let alone it being completely wrong). At least with the Lost albums they've just put "brilliant score" etc.

Trying to stay with the cool kids. cool
  4. Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BasilB wrote

Not a score you can really appreciate with 30 sec clips Alan. As James says, hypnotic and very different than the usual Tyler actioneer.

I can't afford to buy as much music as I'd like and I have to use that initial impression from clips as part of my decision-making. I'm sure that some good music is going to be passed on by this selection process - but what I don't know I won't miss...unless everyone keeps singing praises for this CD.

Thanks for the comment, BTW.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    There was not much (or perhaps no) ethnic elements in Dragonball. Was that intentional?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Perhaps. I was actually surprised as I expected it to incorporate quite some ethnic stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BasilB wrote

I can't afford to buy as much music as I'd like and I have to use that initial impression from clips as part of my decision-making. I'm sure that some good music is going to be passed on by this selection process - but what I don't know I won't miss...unless everyone keeps singing praises for this CD.

Thanks for the comment, BTW.

You are so right Alan; sometimes you have to choose, not possible to buy ALL the music one would like. The comment was more orientated to something like "when you can afford it, give it a try" wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    Perhaps. I was actually surprised as I expected it to incorporate quite some ethnic stuff.

Well, maybe they don't exactly fit in the story and movie's style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Two cues from Fast & Furious:

http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    Dom wrote
    Two cues from Fast & Furious:

http://www.myspace.com/briantylercomposer

hehe i think you mean three! lol