• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008 edited
    What ever happened to those nice jewel cases we used to get? Sure, we still get them at times, but the Digipack age is creeping its way onto store shelves. Why? Because they're cheaper? Of course, but the things fall apart over time, and, while they do look nice, they are the farthest thing from what I would call the ideal packaging for collectors. What do you all think about this? Like it, or not? I for one think Digipack looks OK, but is just way too frail.
  1. Is this the cardboard thingy they packaged Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in amongst others?

If so, well I don't mind it really, but if I had to choose for the good old jewel case and pay a dollar or two more I would do that... There's something about these shiny cases when you buy new soundtracks, you don't have with these digipacks, over time they will have scratches and folds as well, a jewel case you can just replace easily.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I've been fortunate with a couple of soundtracks lately when it comes to their packaging. The Indy 4 and Wall-E soundtracks both come in digipak's in the United States, but here in Australia they are in a jewel case.

For the most part, I don't really mind digipak's, so long as there is a proper holder for the CD to be placed in. That way there is no more risk of scratches than there would be if it was placed in a regular jewel case.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Michael, I think they didn't refer to scratches on the disc, but to the artwork. I don't think digipacks can damage a disc more than a jewelcase release.

So a jewelcase protects the cover art, and that's just the thing why I like them so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Michael Arlidge wrote
    I've been fortunate with a couple of soundtracks lately when it comes to their packaging. The Indy 4 and Wall-E soundtracks both come in digipak's in the United States, but here in Australia they are in a jewel case.

For the most part, I don't really mind digipak's, so long as there is a proper holder for the CD to be placed in. That way there is no more risk of scratches than there would be if it was placed in a regular jewel case.

Yeah, that slide-it-in pocket kinda thingy some digipacks have instead of a proper plastic cd holder is very annoying as it evidently scratches the disc every time you take it out and put it back in; but generally speaking, i love digipacks, despite the obvious suffer in artwork out of usage.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I think I have only one digipak. Pirates of the Caribbean 3. It looks nice, yeah. Though I will miss jewel cases I guess.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is this the cardboard thingy they packaged Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in amongst others?

Yep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Michael Arlidge wrote
    The Indy 4 and Wall-E soundtracks both come in digipak's in the United States, but here in Australia they are in a jewel case.

How is that? You're lucky... slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Michael Arlidge wrote
    I've been fortunate with a couple of soundtracks lately when it comes to their packaging. The Indy 4 and Wall-E soundtracks both come in digipak's in the United States, but here in Australia they are in a jewel case.

Yeah, that slide-it-in pocket kinda thingy some digipacks have instead of a proper plastic cd holder is very annoying as it evidently scratches the disc every time you take it out and put it back in; but generally speaking, i love digipacks, despite the obvious suffer in artwork out of usage.

Agree with you. The Universal France digi's are verygood though, no cardboard to slide the CD into.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. William wrote
    Michael Arlidge wrote
    The Indy 4 and Wall-E soundtracks both come in digipak's in the United States, but here in Australia they are in a jewel case.

How is that? You're lucky... slant

The product was manufacturered in Australia (rather than being imported directly from the States), so presumably the decision was made here to have a jewel case instead of a digipak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The jewel case as convenient and comfortable we are with it is horrible for the enviroment. It is a #6 plastic (polystyrene) and is very difficult to dispose of. The digipack is better in this respect.
    Health and fire hazards
    There is concern about the trace presence of polystyrene's production chemicals in the final plastic product, most of which are toxic if not removed. For instance benzene, which is used to produce ethylbenzene for styrene, is a known carcinogen. As well, unpolymerized styrene may pose health risks. Nevertheless, the EPA states:

“ Styrene is primarily used in the production of polystyrene plastics and resins. Acute (short-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in mucous membrane and eye irritation, and gastrointestinal effects. Chronic (long-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in effects on the central nervous system (CNS), such as headache, fatigue, weakness, and depression, CSN dysfunction, hearing loss, and peripheral neuropathy. Human studies are inconclusive on the reproductive and developmental effects of styrene; several studies did not report an increase in developmental effects in women who worked in the plastics industry, while an increased frequency of spontaneous abortions and decreased frequency of births were reported in another study. Several epidemiologic studies suggest there may be an association between styrene exposure and an increased risk of leukemia and lymphoma. However, the evidence is inconclusive due to confounding factors. EPA has not given a formal carcinogen classification to styrene. [10] ”

Polystyrene is classified according to DIN4102 as a "B3" product, meaning highly flammable or "easily ignited." Consequently, though it is an efficient insulator at low temperatures, it is prohibited from being used in any exposed installations in building construction as long the material is not flame retarded, e.g., with hexabromocyclododecane. It must be concealed behind drywall, sheet metal or concrete. Foamed polystyrene plastic materials have been accidentally ignited and caused huge fires and losses, for example at the Düsseldorf International Airport, the Channel tunnel (where polystyrene was inside a railcar that caught on fire), and the Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant (where fire reached through a fire retardant and reached the foamed plastic underneath, inside a firestop that had not been tested and certified in accordance with the final installation).

In addition to fire hazard, polystyrene can be dissolved by substances that contain acetone (such as most aerosol paint sprays), and by cyanoacrylate glues.

[edit] Environmental concerns and bans
    Polystyrene is not easily recycled because of its light weight (especially if foamed) and its low scrap value. It is generally not accepted in kerbside (curbside) collection recycling programs. Pure polystyrene is quite resistant to bio-degradation and photolysis[11]. The plastic may also be harmful to wild animals if it is ingested by them. According to the California Coastal Commission, it is now a principal component of marine debris.

Restricting the use of foamed polystyrene takeout food packaging is a priority of many solid waste environmental organizations. A campaign to achieve the first ban of polystyrene foam from the food & beverage industry in Canada has been launched in Toronto as of January 2007, by local non-profit organization NaturoPack.[12]

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is this the cardboard thingy they packaged Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in amongst others?

They're doing it a lot more in the US than the UK. My copy of Kingdom is in a pretty sweet looking jewel case with curvy edges. smile
  5. The only acceptable digipacks are the ones from Universal Jazz. The Movie Score Media digipacks for example not even fit into my cd holder. rolleyes
  6. Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

They're doing it a lot more in the US than the UK. My copy of Kingdom is in a pretty sweet looking jewel case with curvy edges. smile

Well, I bought mine through Screen Archives so it's digipack. Those new curved cases are pretty nifty looking.

I hate those digipacks though with the slide disc in / out. As others have stated scratching the CD will occur much faster than with standard cases. Heck, I still have albums, that are 15+ years old and don't have a scratch on them and the cases are still original and in excellent condition. I don't see those digipacks lasting 15 years sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Antineutrino wrote
    The only acceptable digipacks are the ones from Universal Jazz. The Movie Score Media digipacks for example not even fit into my cd holder. rolleyes

That's 'cause they have big kick-ass music in them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    That's 'cause they have big kick-ass music in them.

Big kick-ass music needs robust packaging.
  8. sdtom wrote
    The jewel case as convenient and comfortable we are with it is horrible for the enviroment. It is a #6 plastic (polystyrene) and is very difficult to dispose of. The digipack is better in this respect.
    Health and fire hazards
    There is concern about the trace presence of polystyrene's production chemicals in the final plastic product, most of which are toxic if not removed. For instance benzene, which is used to produce ethylbenzene for styrene, is a known carcinogen. As well, unpolymerized styrene may pose health risks. Nevertheless, the EPA states:

“ Styrene is primarily used in the production of polystyrene plastics and resins. Acute (short-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in mucous membrane and eye irritation, and gastrointestinal effects. Chronic (long-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in effects on the central nervous system (CNS), such as headache, fatigue, weakness, and depression, CSN dysfunction, hearing loss, and peripheral neuropathy. Human studies are inconclusive on the reproductive and developmental effects of styrene; several studies did not report an increase in developmental effects in women who worked in the plastics industry, while an increased frequency of spontaneous abortions and decreased frequency of births were reported in another study. Several epidemiologic studies suggest there may be an association between styrene exposure and an increased risk of leukemia and lymphoma. However, the evidence is inconclusive due to confounding factors. EPA has not given a formal carcinogen classification to styrene. [10] ”

Polystyrene is classified according to DIN4102 as a "B3" product, meaning highly flammable or "easily ignited." Consequently, though it is an efficient insulator at low temperatures, it is prohibited from being used in any exposed installations in building construction as long the material is not flame retarded, e.g., with hexabromocyclododecane. It must be concealed behind drywall, sheet metal or concrete. Foamed polystyrene plastic materials have been accidentally ignited and caused huge fires and losses, for example at the Düsseldorf International Airport, the Channel tunnel (where polystyrene was inside a railcar that caught on fire), and the Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant (where fire reached through a fire retardant and reached the foamed plastic underneath, inside a firestop that had not been tested and certified in accordance with the final installation).

In addition to fire hazard, polystyrene can be dissolved by substances that contain acetone (such as most aerosol paint sprays), and by cyanoacrylate glues.

[edit] Environmental concerns and bans
    Polystyrene is not easily recycled because of its light weight (especially if foamed) and its low scrap value. It is generally not accepted in kerbside (curbside) collection recycling programs. Pure polystyrene is quite resistant to bio-degradation and photolysis[11]. The plastic may also be harmful to wild animals if it is ingested by them. According to the California Coastal Commission, it is now a principal component of marine debris.

Restricting the use of foamed polystyrene takeout food packaging is a priority of many solid waste environmental organizations. A campaign to achieve the first ban of polystyrene foam from the food & beverage industry in Canada has been launched in Toronto as of January 2007, by local non-profit organization NaturoPack.[12]

Thomas smile

Tom, your forgot to quote the references!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. I like the glossiness of the artwork you can get on a digipack. But I'm disappointed with the lack of liner notes.

But one of the infuriating things about jewel cases and the booklets is that sometimes the booklet just refuses to come out and the little bumps that hold the booklet in place sometimes spoil the crispness of the page edges. sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But one of the infuriating things about jewel cases and the booklets is that sometimes the booklet just refuses to come out and the little bumps that hold the booklet in place sometimes spoil the crispness of the page edges. sad

I know exactly what you're talking about. That happens to me a lot, as well, sadly. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Digipacks and especially the complete carton ones are hopefully the next step torwards a less plastic world.

Plus, they are much cooler.

And softer.
    Hmmmmmm, softer. cool
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sorry Alan it was wikipedia. But no matter people pretty much ignored it anyway.
    Thomas sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    I don't care one way or the other.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What are digipacks?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    What are digipacks?

You have cd cases, and digipacks.
    digipacks are the cases that are not a plastic case.

For example: Indy 4, The Lost World, Pirates 3
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My Indy 4 OST is in a plastic case. Why digipack though? Why not card case?

I like my Lost World card case. And my Jaws card case. And my Close Encounters one.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    My Indy 4 OST is in a plastic case. Why digipack though? Why not card case?

I like my Lost World card case. And my Jaws card case. And my Close Encounters one.

a digipack is a card case wink ... right???

and I wish my Indy4 came in a plastic... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Let me put it to you this way
    1... Plastic=your support of the oil companies who have a huge amount of control in the world
    2... Plastic material used in the jewel cases cannot be recycled without great expense
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Let me put it to you this way
    1... Plastic=your support of the oil companies who have a huge amount of control in the world
    2... Plastic material used in the jewel cases cannot be recycled without great expense
    Thomas smile

rolleyes

Good lord!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We need to try to limit the amount of plastic that we use so our children and grandchildren will have a better world to live in. Recycled cardboard is the best way to go until we completely shift over to all download.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    We need to try to limit the amount of plastic that we use so our children and grandchildren will have a better world to live in. Recycled cardboard is the best way to go until we completely shift over to all download.
    Thomas smile

We also need to leave our music for our children and grandchildren to listen to when we are gone and cardboard sleeves RUIN CD's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!