• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 9:02 PM
    By: ScoreDude (Member)

One comment from the old timer on the board.

1... Growing up in the 50's (born in 1947) I learned to use the library system and still do to this day in spite of our local city government who to save costs, at least in their opinion would like to make the entire staff volunteer except for the librarian. It would save money. A library isn't suppose to make money but our system is doomed from the start. The fines collected don't go back to the library but into what I call the general 'slush' fund. You could spend your entire life reading without ever buying a book.

2...The library also offers a world of classical music for free and this could be the reason why there is a much greater interest in that form of music over soundtracks. It is a lot more accessible. Because of my volunteer work it is ordering a copy of El-Cid on my recommendation. We do have a Cincinnati Pops or two but little else other than older classic material which is pretty much readily available.

3...I was talking to someone not too long ago about Scorpio/Fielding and he decided on his own that he wanted to get a copy of it. I told him be prepared to pay $75.00 for it to which he said why so much? I told him he can probably purchase the movie for $10.00 and listen to the music that way or just check it out of the library for free. While there is a multitude of material to listen to for far less money Scorpio is part of that group of collecting you should just avoid. If anyone is really to blame its the musician union. Instead we went to Borders and bought the older release of Herrmann The Film Scores with the LA Philharmonic and Three Choral Suite with the Cincinnati Pops. Cost him $20.00 with his coupon and I think a lot wiser way to spend his money.

4...Some of us just don't have an unlimited amount of money to spend on this material. I bought the MGM Treasury Box because I felt it was a very fair value but I couldn't afford to get Boys From Brazil. I'll either listen to the LP or the music on the DVD which I also think is only $10.00 to buy.

5...In a way the FSM, Intrada, BSX labels are shooting themselves in the foot with the help of the union. Yup they sell the Scorpio 1500 copies out in a day and everybody that got one is very happy. How many will never hear it because a library system can't have it. A 100,000? A 1,000,000?. It's an elitist hobby and because of the heavily flawed system it will remain that way until I die or its overhauled.

I was responding to someone.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 9:02 PM
    By: ScoreDude (Member)

One comment from the old timer on the board.

1... Growing up in the 50's (born in 1947) I learned to use the library system and still do to this day in spite of our local city government who to save costs, at least in their opinion would like to make the entire staff volunteer except for the librarian. It would save money. A library isn't suppose to make money but our system is doomed from the start. The fines collected don't go back to the library but into what I call the general 'slush' fund. You could spend your entire life reading without ever buying a book.

2...The library also offers a world of classical music for free and this could be the reason why there is a much greater interest in that form of music over soundtracks. It is a lot more accessible. Because of my volunteer work it is ordering a copy of El-Cid on my recommendation. We do have a Cincinnati Pops or two but little else other than older classic material which is pretty much readily available.

3...I was talking to someone not too long ago about Scorpio/Fielding and he decided on his own that he wanted to get a copy of it. I told him be prepared to pay $75.00 for it to which he said why so much? I told him he can probably purchase the movie for $10.00 and listen to the music that way or just check it out of the library for free. While there is a multitude of material to listen to for far less money Scorpio is part of that group of collecting you should just avoid. If anyone is really to blame its the musician union. Instead we went to Borders and bought the older release of Herrmann The Film Scores with the LA Philharmonic and Three Choral Suite with the Cincinnati Pops. Cost him $20.00 with his coupon and I think a lot wiser way to spend his money.

4...Some of us just don't have an unlimited amount of money to spend on this material. I bought the MGM Treasury Box because I felt it was a very fair value but I couldn't afford to get Boys From Brazil. I'll either listen to the LP or the music on the DVD which I also think is only $10.00 to buy.

5...In a way the FSM, Intrada, BSX labels are shooting themselves in the foot with the help of the union. Yup they sell the Scorpio 1500 copies out in a day and everybody that got one is very happy. How many will never hear it because a library system can't have it. A 100,000? A 1,000,000?. It's an elitist hobby and because of the heavily flawed system it will remain that way until I die or its overhauled.

I was responding to someone.
    Thomas smile

So wait... Are you asking us if we agree or disagree with you? confused Because honestly, I don't understand what you're asking, and how this is in any way an 'agree' or 'disagree' sort of thing. Can you please elaborate on what the above post is about, and exactly what kind of comments/responses you're trying to get out of us?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That the use of the library among other things will help to promote the hobby? That by offering these limited edition CD's they are just appealing to the elitist speculator.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You really have a bee in your bonnet on the subject, don't you, Tom? wink

Well, for the record: I agree with you, in the "in-the-foot-shooting" sense, but I don't think the libraries are currently able to pick up on that. Rather you'll see a LOT more exchanging FOR FREE (and illegally, of course, but that's stil not stopping anyone) taking place on torrents and USEnet.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    erm.....what's USEnet? Well, i know that it's a torrent alternative or something but what is it exactly? I think you must pay in order to use it or something?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, you gotta pay a relatively small subscription fee.
    And yes, it's USED as an alternative for torrents mostly, but it's more like a humongous forum: it consists of a set of "newsgroups" with names that are classified hierarchically by subject. "Articles" or "messages" are "posted" to these newsgroups by people on computers with the appropriate software -- these articles are then broadcast to other interconnected computer systems via a wide
    variety of networks.
    Obviously that makes it an excellent file exchange system...and it's about as anonymous as you can get!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hm.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Do you see the library disappearing?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes, it is true that my buttons were pushed on this one. I for one have offered a basic introduction to patrons who wish to learn more about film music. To begin with I suggest some of the Telarc releases as a good starting point.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Do you see the library disappearing?
    Thomas smile

Yes, I very much do.
    Compared to my youth, libraries in the Netherlands are condensing (consolidating to larger population centres) and open about 50 to 60 percent of the time they were 25 years ago.

I have friends who work in the sector and they pretty much confirm libraries are having a rough time.
  1. We try and encourage the children to use our local library as much as possible. I remember using Falkirk's library often - back in the days when, if you hadn't bought in an expensive encyclopedia set, this was the only reference point for school projects, etc.

Things like Encarta, the web have placed libraries a lot further down the list when it comes to resources for facts, etc.

But some libraries don't make it easy for themselves. Our local library has the usual 9-4/5 opening times during the week but at the weekends it's only open on Saturday mornings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Such a shame. One could say in one respect government wins. They want an ignorant population as it is easier to control. As I said our city is pushing for all volunteer help save the librarian.
    Thomas smile

And let me say one other thing. My buttons have been pushed on this but the entire set of conversations here and FSM are extremely civilized and for this reason I'm willing to talk about it. It is real easy sometimes to just say nothing, at least for me.