• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008 edited
    If nobody minds I'll post some clips for another game. I've quite enjoyed listening to peoples' hidden gem suggestions - several of them have had me hunting down some new CDs.

The rules are the same as usual.
    - 20 clips and one point each for the score and the composer
    - 1 bonus clips that's worth 6 points in total (3+3, score & composer)
    - clips are in chronological order
    - the set spans 49 years
    - PM me with your guesses

I plan to add clues over the weekend, but have a listen in anticipation of the clues. (BTW, I know for a fact that there are some clips that I have used before so if anyone has kept notes some clips will be easier.)

Let me know if there's a problem with listening to the clips - and let us know which clips stand out.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ac1drr

Enjoy!

[UPDATED]

CLIP 1: This Oscar-winning composer was a protégé of Aaron Copland has the distinction of being the only composer to have been nominated for an Academy Award in each of the last 6 decades. This powerful melodrama brings together once again a particularly fruitful composer/starring actor combination.

CLIP 2: This much-loved composer earned himself an Oscar nomination with this score (one of two in this year!). The movie was filmed in Ireland and the score features members of the BBC orchestra. Useless trivia: every character name is the real first name of another actor in this movie!!

CLIP 3: A European co-production starring two well-known British actors! The score won "Best Score" at a European film festival. A great CD that's still reasonably easy to find.

CLIP 4: Based upon a best-selling book Holdridge provides a powerhouse theme for this biographical TV drama recounting tragedy on Earth's highest peak. From a composer whose majority of works are for the small screen.

CLIP 5: This director/composer combination collaborated a few years earlier with greater success but here the composer delivers a great brass theme for this story of corruption in Pennsylvania Avenue. BTW, I'm not too keen on this composer but here he does compose one of his best themes.

CLIP 6: Talented Iberian composer scores movie that centres around the interwoven relationships of five individuals connected to one another through "blood or circumstance". Clip highlights composer's regular useage of strings & piano in his scores.

CLIP 7: Strong exponent of blending orchestra with electronica, this composer features twice in this list. This throbbing theme is buried in amongst a slurry of "songs from the motion picture" on CD. The movie's not for those prone to a bit of claustrophobia.

==========

CLIP 8: The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (& chorus) enjoy themselves in this score for popular Japanese role-playing game (RPG) and has been cited as being a "spiritual successor" to another popular RPG (score also composed by this composer).

CLIP 9: This composer's second entry here. And, according to imdb.com this is this director's first of only two directorial jobs. The score is mostly atmospheric save for this synthy percussion/wordless vocals blend.

==========

CLIP 10: How moving into your dream house can turn into a nightmare. Director/composer gives an effective piano-led theme - but has no imagination when it comes to track titles.

CLIP 11: A movie that - apparently - does not have an original bone in it's body. A German Indiana Jones anyone? Unknown German composer (but with ~30 credits to his name) benefits from download-only route of sale.

CLIP 12: Another Iberian composer who has been referred to by some as the "Spanish Delerue". There's a lot of rain in this movie - too much for some considering where the movie is set.

==========

CLIP 13: Prominent strings and piano...again? This score bagged a nomination in the "Best Score" category. "Boring", "idiotic" shout some reviewers - but the music doesn't suggest that response.

CLIP 14: English composer scores heartfelt music for European TV biographical drama of the life of one Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, born 1910 in Skopje.

==========

CLIP 15: Hopefully listeners will have a place for one more of this composer's creations after having heard a selection of his work in an earlier game. A period score for a "...16th century tale set in the Italian Court."

==========

CLIP 16: Another Italian composer who is probably best known for his score to a Stephen King story. Here the composer score follows the life of an 11th century monk.

CLIP 17: I can't have a hidden gems set without throwing in a couple of Japanese titles. From a TV drama series, this CD is listed at SAE and does feature some clips. The composer also composed the better-known score for an animated feature based upon a series of novels that were the basis for a live-action TV project scored by Jeff Rona!

CLIP 18: This composer composed for all 26 episodes of this popular BBC action/adventure drama. Edwin Astley/Albert Elms composed for an earlier TV version and "EWK" won an Academy Award way, way back for another early version. Easy!

==========

CLIP 19: A second Japanese entry from a very prolific composer who can compose both melodic and effective atmospheric soundscapes. This recent TV animation series based upon a series of fantasy novels by Nahoko Uehashi and features a wandering warrior who saves the lives of others as atonement for a past sin.

CLIP 20: The trouble with "hidden gems" is that, sometimes, there's very little information available on the titles. This is a recent Italian TV show that features a score from a composer (Italian?) who has a very famous surname - and consequently a lot to live up to? In the same year this composer scored another TV mini-series that has the same name as a movie that features a famous score from Ernest Gold.

==========

BONUS: A score that featured on the composer's website that took me ages to track down. The film features a comedic Spanish detective and is the third film in the series. A highly rated composer here at maintitles.net
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. oh, they're will be hints needed, because I didn't recognize a single one of these, not one shocked

But I heard some really good stuff, 4, 8, 11 and 18 are awesome, 15 is so playful, 20 is such a rip off biggrin

These are really hidden gems my boys smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008 edited
    Wow, these are some really obscure cues, but I agree they are real gems! I must say I enjoy every one of them, and I like the variety as well. Cue 1 kicks so much bottom, cue 4 has a great climax, the electronic beats in cue 7 are very cool, the trumpet thing in cue 15 is amazingly catchy, the MV sound is obvious in cue 20 but it's certainly an emotional highlight.

I think I only recognized 3 cues in all, and only 1 of them I remember for sure where is from.

I hope and would appreciate that when you reveal the answers you'll also write the specific track names, so I can go to Streaming Sountracks and listen to them in full.

Peter punk
  2. I will put up some clues - though it may not now be until tomorrow.

I'm glad that there are some clips that people find interesting...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. plindboe wrote
    I hope and would appreciate that when you reveal the answers you'll also write the specific track names, so I can go to Streaming Sountracks and listen to them in full.

If they are from obscure scores are they likely to be found at Streaming Soundtracks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If they are from obscure scores are they likely to be found at Streaming Soundtracks?

Possibly. They have many obscure ones. But you don't have to fill in the track names if it's too much trouble.

Peter smile
  4. plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Possibly. They have many obscure ones. But you don't have to fill in the track names if it's too much trouble.

Peter smile

Track titles are no problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Nice clips. I know 2 of them but not so sure about the others. Sent my guesses anyway.
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm glad that there are some clips that people find interesting...

Some? tongue
  6. I recognize not a one, but I loved 4. 6 was my next favorite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    They are definitely and utterly hidden for me...hidden so well that I can't recognize a single one of them...
  7. I would have liked to participate.... but I didn't recognize any of them. shame
  8. it seems Alan you really have give us HIDDEN GEMS wink
    I'm indeed intruiged to see what it will be
  9. I've added some clues.
  10. First entrants:

BhelPuri - 4 (+ 1)*
    zirael - 2 (+1)*

It's good to have a tough set every now and again - especially when I don't have to guess the clips. Though I again did hate putting together the clues - some of the clues I added may be too easy!

From the suggestions I have had in think even more obscure!

*Awarded an additional point for sending in answers before clues
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    Wow, there were a number of them which sounded familiar but all my hunches turned out wrong.
    Now that the clues are out, I feel like kicking myself for not getting #14 and #16 among others.

The composer in #10 definitely has the same style as another guy slant
  11. even with the hints, I would not score a lot of points (3?), so I'll pass this one up shame
    But I'll be most interested in the answers when they are presented here smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    even with the hints, I would not score a lot of points (3?), so I'll pass this one up shame

Come on, the more the merrier. After all, these games are about fun and getting to know new music, it's not about winning.

Peter (has sent his guesses, but knows BhelPuri will win in the end) smile
  12. plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    even with the hints, I would not score a lot of points (3?), so I'll pass this one up shame

Come on, the more the merrier. After all, these games are about fun and getting to know new music, it's not about winning.

Peter (has sent his guesses, but knows BhelPuri will win in the end) smile

Oh, I'm really glad Alan has given me so many clips to invest the time and effort in
    but okay, what the hell, I'll sent my 2 answers directly tongue
  13. Thanks to Peter and Thomas for sending in some suggestions:

plindboe - 14 punk
    BhelPuri - 4 (+ 1)*
    zirael - 2 (+1)*
    Thomas Glorieux - 0 crazy

Peter takes a bit of a lead with a solid first set of suggestions. Thomas has at least scored some suggestions off the "possible answers" list.

Peoples' comments on some of the clips they like is very heartening and makes all worthwhile!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Oh, I'm really glad Alan has given me so many clips to invest the time and effort in
    but okay, what the hell, I'll sent my 2 answers directly tongue

*gives thumbs up

Peter smile
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks to Peter and Thomas for sending in some suggestions:

plindboe - 14 punk
    BhelPuri - 4 (+ 1)*
    zirael - 2 (+1)*
    Thomas Glorieux - 0 crazy

Peter takes a bit of a lead with a solid first set of suggestions. Thomas has at least scored some suggestions off the "possible answers" list.

Peoples' comments on some of the clips they like is very heartening and makes all worthwhile!

what the bloody hell? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You shouldn't have sent in those guesses. biggrin

Peter tongue
  15. plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You shouldn't have sent in those guesses. biggrin

Peter tongue

watch out what you say buddy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008 edited
    Update:

plindboe - 14
    Timmer - 10
    HeeroJF - 9

BhelPuri - 4
    zirael - 2
    Thomas Glorieux - 0

Timmer and HeeroJF send in some suggestions - and from their answers there could be more points to come...

[EDIT] I've divided up the clips from clip 08 onwards into years as there were several more recent years that had multiple scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Better than I thought? I'll try again. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Me, too! And I haven't given up on that 1st one! I know I have it on my shelves somewhere, I'll find it!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Haven't had time for this yet but here's a bump to keep it away from sinking to the 4th page.
  16. I'm gonna stay away from playing again, I want to go down in history as the one who scored nothing biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm gonna stay away from playing again, I want to go down in history as the one who scored nothing biggrin

I'm sure you aren't the only one!? ( or maybe that was Score Reviews? )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt