• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    And? It probably was poofy. biggrin (Seriously, I prefer my guy friendships to be like that. I have a few girl friends if ever the testosterone gets too much.)

Oh yeah sure, I know exactly what he was saying but it was still great to have that smug moment of 'who's the poof now'. wink

and just in case anyone else thinks this kind of stuff is harsh, fret not, taking the piss out of your friends is a British institution.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    Goddamit. I hate you both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    I can't understand why you men support this action either!

<shrug>
    Dear friend vs. utter stranger.
    I didn't have to think very long and hard about my allegiance.
    And I just can't resist a cry for help (sad, but true).

I'm sure she did what she did for an excellent reason, that nevertheless is very much her own and not mine.

I don't understand how it's not your reason once you get involved... you must have a reason for your part as well (which you explained above).

You don't want to be in a situation like that, do you?

What I want and what I get tend to be very different things. slant

No, in an ideal world you're right, of course.
    But the world isn't perfect, and many's the time that a little white lie or circumspect action saves a lot of awkwardness and embarassment.

Yes, but in this example I don't agree. I think it was childish and an easy way out, but anyway...

And I'm not talking about an ideal world. I really think I couldn't do it. Nor asking someone to help me out this way, nor helping someone else out this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    I don't understand how it's not your reason once you get involved... you must have a reason for your part as well (which you explained above).

My reason was that she asked me.
    I trust her to have a good reason to ask this of me.

Or is that what you meant by "(which you explained above)."?

Yes, but in this example I don't agree. I think it was childish and an easy way out, but anyway...

Well, of course you know neither her nor him, nor the circumstances.
    Even I am only privy to part of the information.
    I understand your point on principle, but to say it's an easy way out?
    It would have been far easier and more honest to say "you're boring, nervous and childish and I don't want to see you any more".

The way it was handled now, I think, has saved face and ego on both sides:
    While the date was failing, the guy now doesn't have to feel bad about himself, but can blame me for a failure, rather than doubt his own capabilities and even person.
    Now the "relationship" can peter out naturally.

I have been on the receiving end of the much-vaunted Honest Approach (ranging from girls telling me to my face what a bore/jerk/geek I am to girls simply letting me know they didn't want to see me any more, period) and the Softly Softly approach where phone calls weren't returned or dates were made with several friends rather than just the two of us.

I greatly, greatly prefer the second way.
    The honest approach has never failed to seriously hurt me.
    But that is obviously very personal.

And I'm not talking about an ideal world. I really think I couldn't do it. Nor asking someone to help me out this way, nor helping someone else out this way.

Again: that is a very personal choice and consideration.
    I really don't think there is a moral imperative here.
    Just the best we can do.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

I have been on the receiving end of the much-vaunted Honest Approach (with girls telling me to my face what a bore/jerk/geek I am to simply letting me know they didn't want to see me any more, period)

shocked

This makes me want to buy you a beer! sad beer (Or at least something more appropriate for a man of your stature. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    wink
    We've all been there at some point.
    And if you haven't, you will.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote

My reason was that she asked me.
    I trust her to have a good reason to ask this of me.

Or is that what you meant by "(which you explained above)."?

Yes, that's what I meant.

I'm trying to think of an example of my own where I would help a friend out simply because they ask me to and I trust in a good reason, without being critical about both the friend's or my own actions. I can't think of any, really. I would feel responsible as well the moment I step in.

Well, of course you know neither her nor him, nor the circumstances.
    Even I am only privy to part of the information.
    I understand your point on principle, but to say it's an easy way out?
    It would have been far easier and more honest to say "you're boring, nervous and childish and I don't want to see you any more".

First of all, it's obvious that I respond to it and judge it by what I know from you! Of course that's all I know, I wasn't there!!

And I really don't think being honest would be the easier way. So many things are easier than being honest, in my opinion! That's why people often avoid it and use other ways.

While the date was failing, the guy now doesn't have to feel bad about himself, but can blame me for a failure, rather than doubt his own capabilities and even person.

That you call this naturally is beyond my understanding...

There are several ways to be honest. You don't neccesarily have to call someone a geek or jerk. I believe you can be honest and stay nice at the same time.

Well, we just don't agree. And now I'm going to make a nice spaghetti. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    I'm trying to think of an example of my own where I would help a friend out simply because they ask me to and I trust in a good reason, without being critical about both the friend's or my own actions. I can't think of any, really. I would feel responsible as well the moment I step in.

It's not about the absence of critical analysis.
    It's about prevalence.
    Actions based on a trust relationship, which are not contrary to my own moral values withstand any critical test with me.

Obviously you see this -and would handle this- differently.
    And that's fine.
    (Obviously I have some dark grey drawers in my cupboard smile )

First of all, it's obvious that I respond to it and judge it by what I know from you! Of course that's all I know, I wasn't there!!

Naturally!
    I was merely pointing out that even I do not have all the facts at my disposal, so the image I'm sketching is necessarily slightly two-dimensional. However, I don't tend to hang around people with loose moral values or people who tend to hurt or cheat others, hence me getting a little defensive, maybe. shame

And I really don't think being honest would be the easier way. So many things are easier than being honest, in my opinion! That's why people often avoid it and use other ways.

Yes, that does often happen.
    And yet my own personal conviction is that honesty is not always the best policy (I have already suggested a "face-and-ego-saving" scenario above.
    But the keyword here is "personal".
    I know many people who think as you do, and many who think as I do.

At the end of the day we're all just trying to do the best we can.

Sometimes that works wonderfully. Sometimes people get hurt.

That you call this naturally is beyond my understanding...

Really?
    Have you never just stopped returning a guy's calls?
    Or dropped him from your email list or ïnternet messenger list or whatever?

I've had that done to me several times. And I know of a lot of people having done that.
    I've never done it myself (it's just not what I do), but I don't think it's by definition a "bad" thing (it's different when the other party comes back specifically asking what's wrong and still keeping schtumm...that's just cold-hearted. But both sides keeping quiet, not contacting each other any more wouldn't require any more specific closure, I think. Hence my use of the phrase "naturally".)

There are several ways to be honest. You don't neccesarily have to call someone a geek or jerk. I believe you can be honest and stay nice at the same time.

Sure you can... but that doesn't mean it won't still be hurtful!

Well, we just don't agree.

And that's fine. smile
    It's good having another point of view put forward. It just goes to show that even with the best intentions, things may still go terribly wrong.

And now I'm going to make a nice spaghetti. wave

lick Enjoy! wave lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    wink
    We've all been there at some point.
    And if you haven't, you will.

When you get to a certain age and enough life experience then ne'er a truer word was spoken.

Been there and have a collection of those T-shirts and to be evenly fair there were times when I was an utter %$@# and if I had the time again I would un-do some of those past hurts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Poofy. Love it biggrin

Martijn, Steven i am with you mates. Martijn, next time consider what i told you about the passionate "fake" kiss wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I have been on the receiving end of the much-vaunted Honest Approach (with girls telling me to my face what a bore/jerk/geek I am to simply letting me know they didn't want to see me any more, period)

shocked

This makes me want to buy you a beer! sad beer (Or at least something more appropriate for a man of your stature. wink)

I don't pity Martijn. I pity the said chicks 'cause they obviously weren't worthy of him. Martijn's one of the most pleasant people to be around, period. You must be dead-retarded to get bored around Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the thing you're debating, i am now more than ever - and through other, daily experiences, that men and women will NEVER think alike in certain subjects; NEVER. It's not a matter of who's right and who's wrong but trying to explain to a lady the whole philosophy of male thinking behind an action you WOULD do for a female friend but possibly not for a male mate, or something like the case above, is an epic FAIL imo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Poofy. Love it biggrin

Martijn, Steven i am with you mates. Martijn, next time consider what i told you about the passionate "fake" kiss wink

Not a great idea, my reaction might be to flatten the egit!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Played in the pop quiz last night where our six member team WON punk

An interesting "beer break" round ( beer break is where the quiz master takes a 20 minute break after handing out a quiz sheet to everyone to ponder over ) which consisted of 20 album covers with the title of the album blanked out, ranging from the easy ( Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon ) to the hard ( Stankonia by Outkast ), we got all 20 correct and I put in my own tuppence worth by getting two correct that no one else knew, Goldfrapp's 'Seventh Tree' and John Martyn's 'Solid Air', the latter being easy-peasy for me as it's one of my all time favourite albums.

Tuesday 20th

Not sure how strong our team will be tonight? But we return as champions and hope to kick arse again. biggrin

oops pressed Edit rather than Quote rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the thing you're debating, i am now more than ever - and through other, daily experiences, that men and women will NEVER think alike in certain subjects; NEVER. It's not a matter of who's right and who's wrong but trying to explain to a lady the whole philosophy of male thinking behind an action you WOULD do for a female friend but possibly not for a male mate, or something like the case above, is an epic FAIL imo.

Why? I'm not stupid. I can listen to arguments and feelings. It is possible for a woman to understand a man and vv. Why do you think I cannot understand what you are talking about? Why do you think it's male thinking? Can't women do the exact same thing (do more for a man than a woman) ?

Besides, I was questioning the friends action in the first place, not Martijns. And she's a woman, so I should understand then. Which I don't, obviously.

There are things that don't have anything to do with sexes but are just things bewteen people...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009 edited
    I'm not sure that's what Demetris meant. I think what he was getting at is there will, generally, always be a fundamental difference between the way women and men think and act. Not necessarily the way men and women understand things. That's far more dependent on upbringing, experiences and education.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    There are things that don't have anything to do with sexes but are just things bewteen people...

Interestingly I was at a party yesterday where, very much in light of Bregje's and Demetris' earlier comments, I brought up the story to gauge the general reaction.

While all the people present thought the story humorous, it was very interesting for me to find that 100% of the men would have done more or less the same thing or at least saw no harm in it whatsoever. Yet only 60% of the women felt the same way (the other 40% reacting much like Bregje).

Obviously this is a very unofficial and skewed statistic amongs a very small populace (24 people, 14 men, 10 women)... but I still found the results striking and at least suggestive of the possibility of a difference in approach, perception and experience between the sexes in such a situation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    I'm not sure that's what Demetris meant. I think what he was getting at is there will, generally, always be a fundamental difference between the way women and men think and act.

I agree with that.

trying to explain to a lady the whole philosophy of male thinking behind an action you WOULD do for a female friend but possibly not for a male mate, or something like the case above, is an epic FAIL imo

I don't agree with that. Trying to explain to a lady .... is an epic fail?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't pity Martijn. I pity the said chicks 'cause they obviously weren't worthy of him. Martijn's one of the most pleasant people to be around, period. You must be dead-retarded to get bored around Martijn.

How can you be so narrow-minded?? So the whole world has to like everyone you like? If they don't they are... dead-retarded?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think D may have been a little inebriated when he posted that! (At least that's what it sounds like. biggrin ) Plus he's Greek. It's his job to let passion get in the way of clear-thinking! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

How can you be so narrow-minded?? So the whole world has to like everyone you like? If they don't they are... dead-retarded?

Hey!
    I kinda liked D.'s comment. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Played in the pop quiz last night where our six member team WON punk

An interesting "beer break" round ( beer break is where the quiz master takes a 20 minute break after handing out a quiz sheet to everyone to ponder over ) which consisted of 20 album covers with the title of the album blanked out, ranging from the easy ( Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon ) to the hard ( Stankonia by Outkast ), we got all 20 correct and I put in my own tuppence worth by getting two correct that no one else knew, Goldfrapp's 'Seventh Tree' and John Martyn's 'Solid Air', the latter being easy-peasy for me as it's one of my all time favourite albums.

Tuesday 20th

Not sure how strong our team will be tonight? But we return as champions and hope to kick arse again. biggrin

oops pressed Edit rather than Quote rolleyes

No win....we got nowhere this week.

carry on....nothing to see here slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why? I'm not stupid. I can listen to arguments and feelings. It is possible for a woman to understand a man and vv. Why do you think I cannot understand what you are talking about? Why do you think it's male thinking? Can't women do the exact same thing (do more for a man than a woman) ?

Besides, I was questioning the friends action in the first place, not Martijns. And she's a woman, so I should understand then. Which I don't, obviously.

I said IN CERTAIN SUBJECTS. And it's not a matter of being clever or stupid, but on a completely different level of thinking and acting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hey!

Probably another example of this 'allegience duty for friends' thing I do not understand apparently...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Would you go on a date with OUR MARTIJN and think he's geeky or boring? Don't get defensive nor feminist dear Bregje, we are all friends who know each other, a big company and this is exactly my point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd date Martijn! kiss

Why you all lookin' at me like that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'd date Martijn! kiss

Why you all lookin' at me like that?

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I think D may have been a little inebriated when he posted that! (At least that's what it sounds like. biggrin ) Plus he's Greek. It's his job to let passion get in the way of clear-thinking! biggrin wink

No, i wasn't dear friend. I completely mean what i say. I frequently have to face that not everyone likes the way i express my thoughts and they like to "excuse me" in that way (passion vs clear thinking) but believe me that is always how i act and it has cost me in some cases and i have benefited from others. I know my views can be regarded as extreme by some people but that won't make change them nor hold back from expressing them.

As for what i said, i mean it. I know i am not a woman of course and i could never understand 100% the way some think (thus my other point) but how the HELL can you find Martijn boring, geeky or NOT a good company if you aren't actually retarded?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hey!

Probably another example of this 'allegience duty for friends' thing I do not understand apparently...

No.
    he just said a nice thing about me, for which I'm grateful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

No, i wasn't dear friend. I completely mean what i say. I frequently have to face that not everyone likes the way i express my thoughts and they like to "excuse me" in that way (passion vs clear thinking) but believe me that is always how i act and it has cost me in some cases and i have benefited from others. I know my views can be regarded as extreme by some people but that won't make change them nor hold back from expressing them.

As for what i said, i mean it. I know i am not a woman of course and i could never understand 100% the way some think (thus my other point) but how the HELL can you find Martijn boring, geeky or NOT a good company if you aren't actually retarded?

But NOBODY here thinks that about Martijn. I think this discussion has lost the point somewhere!? Either that or I've lost the point!?? dizzy