• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017
    I'm sure I would. Gotta make this happen soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I'm rerouting electric wiring

Always an activity that goes well with 7 beers and a cognac, I find.

Wouldn't dare attemp that shit otherwise!

Timmer wrote
    Still no CD's installed?

Nowhere NEAR. cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017 edited
    I was in The Netherlands this weekend. Around Enschede in particular, near the German border, about 4 hours from where I live. The sister of my girlfriend has an internship in the hostpital there for one year and we decided to spend a weekend together with her boyfriend. We were lucky with the fantastic weather. We did a big cycling tour (about 60km) around Enschede, picnic, chilling and then visited the center and had some beers on the big square in the center. On Sunday we did a fine 10km hike and had lunch in a beergarten, just over the border in Germany. We also visited the Rombeek neighbourhood were the unfortunate events of the fireworks warehouse explosion was. It's now a new part of the city with very modern facades and houses along broad, almost traffic-free lanes and big open spaces and old factories turned into companies and restaurants. Neighbourhood planning to the max.

I knew The Netherlands is a cycle friendly country, but what struck me, and I don't know if it is fully applicable to the Netherlands, is how extensive the cycle network is, and also how fantastic the infrastructure is. Of course the weather took part in the enthusiasm of everyone spending the day outside, but we saw many older people in electric bike, lots of electric chairs for disabled people, ... So many more people can safely go out and go to spots where in Belgium even a regular bike almost has to risk his life to go to. I use my bike very much and this was heaven, even in the city center. We have much to learn regarding this.-, but it is improving, especially in cities. But it seemed The Netherlands, or at least Enschede, was lightyears ahead.

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017
    The cycle infrastructure is excellent throughout The Netherlands, I can attest to that.
    However "safely go out" is a very nuanced concept as the second the sun comes out, the entire infrastructure is taken over by Tour-De-France wannabes (including embarrassingly loud and ill-fitting spandex and ridiculous 60s scifi helmets) who consider the entirety of The Netherlands their own personal racing track.

So it is very usual to be constantly harassed by herds of greatly testosteroned-up race bikers who start shouting at you from a great distance to move aside to let them pass (because, you know, these are RACING bikes, so normal traffic rules like using your bell or giving way SURELY do not apply to THEM!).
    And if you don't (fast enough), be prepared for a torrent of verbal (and even at times physical) abuse.

I HATE these posers with a PASSION, and have been considering mounting a Messala-like contraption on my bike wheels for years. At some point I might.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017 edited
    Sounds like a brilliant and healthy weekend, Bregt -- the one I should try more often.

I remember the cycle infrastructure in the Netherlands well from our family trip back in 1992. First part, we traversed the country on a huge canal boat, in the second part we buzzed around on bike. I remember being particularly impressed by the separate bixcycling lanes which looked like motorways for cars. Oslo has a lot to learn from that, where cycling is often rather dangerous with few separate lanes in the city centre (we often have to share the road with cars, and if there are tram tracks as well, and there's snow and ice, you'll have to be constantly on the alert).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    the entire infrastructure is taken over by Tour-De-France wannabes (including embarrassingly loud and ill-fitting spandex and ridiculous 60s scifi helmets) who consider the entirety of The Netherlands their own personal racing track.

I haven't seen much of that but I know what you mean. Here in Belgium, cycling is hot, and thus we have the same dangerous situations. But they usually take up the car roads as there's usually separate lanes. Madness. Those bigass groups of 20 pass like a racing car, don't ring, often just shout, ... dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017 edited
    I don't post as much about 'going out' as I used to (for various reasons), but heading out today. A birthday party for composer Eirik Myhr, who's a member here. Got any plans?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2017
    Spent most of today entertaining a friend and watching Snooker. Had a couple beers and heading to pub soon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2017 edited
    Went to a Bank Holiday Monday night quiz after hastily calling around mates to form a team and whadda ya know, WE WON! only by two points but what made it outrageous were some crazy guesses on some questions none of us knew the answer to but got right shame cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017 edited
    "Manic Monday"....

Invited to a party with the Norwegian composer organization NOPA tonight. Bad timing, after all the heavy drinking in Cannes and on Saturday (where I actually managed to crash with my bicycle and scratch up my face), but you gotta do what you gotta do.

To the kids -- don't drink and bicycle!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It's over 30 C over here and I just started the summer beer season with Diebels Alt, a top fermented dark beer.

lick beer Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Went to a Bank Holiday Monday night quiz after hastily calling around mates to form a team and whadda ya know, WE WON! only by two points but what made it outrageous were some crazy guesses on some questions none of us knew the answer to but got right shame cool punk

Off to this same quiz tonight. Can we do the double? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017
    Let's hear how it went, Timmer!

Back now after 10-12 beers (standard).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2017
    Not so good. Less teams, less people and we came 4th slant shame

Still a few beers were downed and the company was great, a good fun night. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2017
    Off to a friend's bachelor (stag) party weekend now! We've planned paintball, GoKart and spending the night at a "luxury" resort up in the mountains (with outdoor pools with a massive view!). I'm still hung over from yesterday, but gotta repair soon. Should be good! beer punk vomit sleep
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2017 edited
    So I'm here in Haugesund for the Amanda Awards (the Norwegian Oscars). I'm in the FIPRESCI jury this year. Every conceivable celebrity (film and beyond) in this country is here, in the big media hall of the hotel I'm staying at, but I'm up here in my hotel room on the 6th floor and watching the show on TV while drinking beer (that I bought in a convenience store earlier today). I'm here alone and trepidatious about going downstairs. I'm not afraid of the celebrities, but I'm kinda worried about standing in a corner. Any suggestions? Drink more beer, perhaps?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    So I'm here in Haugesund for the Amanda Awards (the Norwegian Oscars). I'm in the FIPRESCI jury this year. Every conceivable celebrity (film and beyond) in this country is here, in the big media hall of the hotel I'm staying at, but I'm up here in my hotel room on the 6th floor and watching the show on TV while drinking beer (that I bought in a convenience store earlier today). I'm here alone and trepidatious about going downstairs. I'm not afraid of the celebrities, but I'm kinda worried about standing in a corner. Any suggestions? Drink more beer, perhaps?

- They will be afraid of you if you turn into a raging drunk Viking. wink
    - Oh, and no, I have no suggestions. I'm a terrible small talker.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017 edited
    It went alright. Partied to 5 in the morning, and thankfully the others were AT LEAST as drunk as I. I mostly stayed with my composer buds Gaute Storaas and Johan Söderqvist (who won the award for best music, for KONGENS NEI [THE KING'S CHOICE]). Now I'm completely destroyed. A crazy business, this. End of transmission.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017
    By the way, why do so few film music fans drink beer? This has always fascinated me.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. We are incredible sophisticated and decadent folks. Only Champagne and Beluga Caviar will do. drink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017
    I'm bolloxed! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2017 edited
    I didn't really intend to mark my 40th birthday tomorrow evening at 9 PM (still a LOOOOONG time untill I leave my 30s), but due to popular demand in my friend circuit, I'm having a few beers with some of my friends tonight (an early celebration).

Cheers!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    By the way, why do so few film music fans drink beer? This has always fascinated me.

It tastes like crap and I'm poor enough as it is. Music and games are my drugs of choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2017
    Thor wrote

I suppose beer is more often than not a working class, extrovert's drink, and film music is, more often that not, for the intellectual introvert.
    Perhaps.
    Maybe.
    Who knows.

....I love beer and film music. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    ....I love beer and film music. :shrug:

Same here. My two main passions in life. But I've found it amusing how -- when I've met film music fans in real life (with a few exceptions) -- there is either non-alcoholic beverages or fancy drinks. Occasionally wine. Very rarely beer.

Even in this day and age, when beer is no longer "working class", but rather hipster cool with micro breweries around every corner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2017
    Thor wrote
    there is either non-alcoholic beverages or fancy drinks.

And port.
    And rum.
    In copious quantities.