• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    Alan, just get a Mac! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn, would it be seen by the PC as an external hard drive?

Yes.
    The same as the 1TB I use to back up my files and which I take away and store elsewhere (though not at a different location).

Yes.
    Or would it be seen as it is currently? As a "slave"(?) drive.

No.
    The PC will recognise it as an external USB-driven hard drive, and adjust the drive letter accordingly. It will NOT retain the drive letter it had in your old PC. (Well, it may but that would just be a coincidence).

Example:
    If you currently have two drives, you would -presumably (though not necessarily)- have a C: and a D: drive.
    If you'd buy a new PC with (for example) two hard drives, a CD burner and a DVD player, and you would attach the external case holding your former D: drive, it would look like this in Windows Explorer:

C: ( which would be the primary internal hard disk)
    D: ( which would be the secondary internal hard disk)
    E: ( which would be the CD burner)
    F: ( which would be the DVD player)
    G: ( which would be the external hard disk, your former D: drive)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tintin wrote

No, take the budget you need for a Mac, feed Africa for a month, then pay the US international debt, then buy Imelda Marcos back all her shoes and then use what you have left to buy a high-specced PC.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Martijn wrote
    Tintin wrote

No, take the budget you need for a Mac, feed Africa for a month, then pay the US international debt, then buy Imelda Marcos back all her shoes and then use what you have left to buy a high-specced PC.

ha ha! You forgot donating to Maintitles in there Martijn!

is Imelda still alive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    The PC will recognise it as an external USB-driven hard drive, and adjust the drive letter accordingly.

Just for completeness' sake: if you'd really WANT, you can change the drive letter of any drive, even an external one.
    So if you'd want you could assign the drive letter D: again to what is drive G: in my example above.

However that would involve techie stuff (using the Microsoft Management Console), so I'll only go into that if you specifically ask me to! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tintin wrote
    is Imelda still alive?

80 this year! The Iron Butterfly is flying steadily on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    So if you'd want you could assign the drive letter D: again to what is drive G: in my example above.

However that would involve techie stuff (using the Microsoft Management Console), so I'll only go into that if you specifically ask me to! wink

Thanks, Martijn. I could see it being an issue since a lot of my playlists are linked to the 500GB internal drive (currently F) and I would imagine that these would all fail if the drive letter designations changed.

But I have done this on my PC at work in the past.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ouch. Yeah, good call: your playlists would fail.
    (There's ways around that or ways to fix that, but yeah, by FAR the easiest way would be to simply have the files on the F:-drive where they are expected to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    no longer simple.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They have lost a lot of people in the baby boomer generation who do have some income.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    no longer simple.
    Thomas

Computers were ever simple? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My point is the difficulty of the issues when replacing like Alan is thinking of doing.