• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Wonderful composer who, for some reason, doesn't do many big films. Personally, I regard his Star Trek score to be one of the best in the series...

Anyway, he's got a new project: a comedy packed with big stars:

He's Just Not That Into You

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -into.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    [edit due to simultaneous posting with Mikael]

It's been so much time since we last heard of a new assignment for this truly talented and hugely missed composer!

Apart that and for starters, i'd greatly recommend the following works as the best examples of Eidelman's vast musicianship and great compositional diversity. He's a composer so underused in our days, yet so gifted that it has never ceased to amaze me.

MAGDALENE
    OCEAN MEN: EXTREME DIVE
    HARRISON'S FLOWERS
    FREE WILLY 3:THE RESCUE
    CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS: THE DISCOVERY

and of course the massive Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Didn't he just come out with an album of songs (with himself singing)?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; but it's no good, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh? Why do you think so?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    It's not the kind of thing i'd expect to hear from someone like Eidelman, not even by far comparable to his outstanding film scores. And i generally have a strong tendency against songs, in general. Except Armstrong's and Horner's that is.

How did you like it btw?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I liked it fine, but then again I love rock and pop songs as much as I do orchestral film music. In fact, I loved how Eidelman preserved his melodic gift and sense of ethereal soundscapes in the arrangements. Perfect listening for a Sunday hangover! And who knew Cliff had such a decent singing voice?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I liked it fine, but then again I love rock and pop songs as much as I do orchestral film music. In fact, I loved how Eidelman preserved his melodic gift and sense of ethereal soundscapes in the arrangements. Perfect listening for a Sunday hangover! And who knew Cliff had such a decent singing voice?

Crumbs! Just when you thought you knew it all? shocked

I did NOT know that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Goldsmith said this in some interview with something called "Film Music":

JG: I think a great deal of the two Newman brothers, David and Tommy. Also, I think another composer, Cliff Eidelman, is a great talent with amazing potential.

He then went on to Goldenthal and Barry.

But Goldsmith didn't stop there; saying somewhere else, he also mentioned Cliff again:

"Cliff Eidelman is the best possible composer for the future: his style is rich in themes and remains orchestral; his ideas stay new and melodic and his attractive style will dazzle people to come"

Would Cliff be a protege of him?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I did NOT know that.

Let me worry about that wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I did NOT know that.

Let me worry about that wink

Be my guest wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    It's a slight injustice that his valiant effort for Christopher Columbus has been forgotten largely, but Vaneglis's electric piano score for 1492 went onto massive album sales.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    It's a slight injustice that his valiant effort for Christopher Columbus has been forgotten largely, but Vaneglis's electric piano score for 1492 went onto massive album sales.

Not by me, the score is a fine stand alone listen.
    I meant as a film score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    I meant as a film score.

Not surprising really as the film is pretty much forgotten now. It was a turkey but it's still worth watching for the lovely naked ladies cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I meant as a film score.

Not surprising really as the film is pretty much forgotten now. It was a turkey but it's still worth watching for the lovely naked ladies cool

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. His Star Trek VI suite was the best ending credits of the whole Star Trek series.
  3. "He's Just Not That Into You" score completed. Shame he doesn't get bigger, more serious films.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. I love both Christoph Columbus and 1492 for what they are. The first is a fantastic, great adventure score with beautiful themes, the second is a journey of mind and soul.
  5. The second one isn't by him.
  6. You´re serious? wink
  7. The Internet is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008
    Quite.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Quite.

Oh, indeed. While imminent punishment is the only way for those who stray away from the SERIOUS INTERNET / FORUM RULES, there's always room for more resilient ways for the serious admin to treat those he likes more.
  8. http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z32/ … es_188.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Composer Cliff Eidelman recently scored the New Line Cinema romantic comedy He's Just Not That Into You with a 60-piece orchestra at the Newman Scoring Stage at 20th Century Fox. ScoringSessions.com is proud to bring you the exclusive photos from the session!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/152/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dan, i don't know if it's been mentioned before and sorry if i missed this, but do you know if this is going to get a CD releasE?
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dan, i don't know if it's been mentioned before and sorry if i missed this, but do you know if this is going to get a CD releasE?

No idea! Ask in 6 months when the film comes out.... wink
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks!
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    Ocean Men is very good.