• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    The Christopher Columbus score is astounding.

But I also rank The Beautician and the Beast along the very fun and lovely romantic comedy scores of the 90s.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    Amazon MP3 is giving away 1 free score track from He's Just Not That Into You.
  1. BhelPuri wrote
    Amazon MP3 is giving away 1 free score track from He's Just Not That Into You.

wow shocked one track

This is better than any Christmas present I ever got rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009
    HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU [cd | sound clips]

http://www.amazon.com/Hes-Just-Not-That … item-added
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009
    To anyone who haven't heard Eidelman's "Christopher Columbus" yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAplSho_s0

I just worship the theme that plays so triumphantly from 4:42 to 5:42. Holy crap, it kicks so much behind!

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It seems everything I hear from Eidelman is brilliant. I'm curious what everyone's favourite eidel-cues are. Mine are:

Christopher Columbus - A hero's welcome
    Free Willy 3 - Redemption
    Harrison's flowers - I only photograph flowers
    Magdalene - Mohr's farewell
    One true thing - One true thing
    Triumph of the spirit - Main title

Make me aware of other gems out there. What are your favs?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthortuskapaska
    This man WROTE my highshool work! When I did creative writing, I came up with some Stephen Kingesque nonsence but it was all aided by Eidelman's apocalyptic work on Star Trek!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "It seems everything I hear from Eidelman is brillian"

Totally spot-on. The man's a neglected genius, everything he's written is very, very good.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2009
    Neglected yes. By choice? Who Knows. I wasn't particularly fond of his last CD He's Not Just That Into You.
    Nice but uneventful. Too bad. He needs an epic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i didn't like his recent output either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Gotta be by choice. After "Triumph of the Spirit", "Christopher Columbus" and "Star trek" I'm sure the offers must have been plentiful, but he ended up scoring chick flicks instead. He's still a young guy though, so I'm sure plenty is still to come.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Gotta be by choice. After "Triumph of the Spirit", "Christopher Columbus" and "Star trek" I'm sure the offers must have been plentiful, but he ended up scoring chick flicks instead. He's still a young guy though, so I'm sure plenty is still to come.

Peter smile

You guys really should do your research to find out why Eidelman's career went the way it did. Who knows exactly what he was offered. Maybe he decided that after scoring 3 big epic films that something smaller would be a nice change of pace.

Now, Eidelman did indeed score a couple of "chick" flicks after Triumph, Columbus and Trek but he also scored Meteor Man, the extremely successful and popular If These Walls Could Talk, My Girl 2 (which isn't a bad decision since the original was a huge hit) and Free Willy 3 (again the first two were big hits). He scored Untamed Heart because he worked with Tony Bill on Crazy People. He's Just Not That Into You and Traveling Pants came his way because of his work with director Ken Kwapis on The Beautician and the Beast and Sexual Life. Eidelman is still scoring dramas... Harrison's Flowers and An American Rhapsody are two excellent efforts along with 2006's Open Window.

Sure, hearing another Eidelman epic wold be fantastic but unfortunately that classic style of film music isn't the popular choice right now which is one of the reasons Broughton, Holdridge, etc are not scoring blockbuster films. I guess it would take Kwapis to direct an epic adventure film for Eidelman to return to that bigger, bolder style that we enjoyed earlier on in his career.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    You guys really should do your research to find out why Eidelman's career went the way it did.

I prefer having a cosy time instead of doing time-consuming research. My hope is that an Eidelman expert will share some inside knowledge, so I don't have to spend hours reading old interviews and articles.

Erik Woods wroteWho knows exactly what he was offered. Maybe he decided that after scoring 3 big epic films that something smaller would be a nice change of pace.

That was what I was thinking too.

I don't have a huge issue about the genres he scores, as I do enjoy the music he makes for dramas and chick flicks. A bigger concern is how rarely we get Eidelman scores these days.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

You guys really should do your research to find out why Eidelman's career went the way it did. Who knows exactly what he was offered. Maybe he decided that after scoring 3 big epic films that something smaller would be a nice change of pace.

Now, Eidelman did indeed score a couple of "chick" flicks after Triumph, Columbus and Trek but he also scored Meteor Man, the extremely successful and popular If These Walls Could Talk, My Girl 2 (which isn't a bad decision since the original was a huge hit) and Free Willy 3 (again the first two were big hits). He scored Untamed Heart because he worked with Tony Bill on Crazy People. He's Just Not That Into You and Traveling Pants came his way because of his work with director Ken Kwapis on The Beautician and the Beast and Sexual Life. Eidelman is still scoring dramas... Harrison's Flowers and An American Rhapsody are two excellent efforts along with 2006's Open Window.

Sure, hearing another Eidelman epic wold be fantastic but unfortunately that classic style of film music isn't the popular choice right now which is one of the reasons Broughton, Holdridge, etc are not scoring blockbuster films. I guess it would take Kwapis to direct an epic adventure film for Eidelman to return to that bigger, bolder style that we enjoyed earlier on in his career.

-Erik-

Regardless of epic movie assignments or not, his outcome has gone down the hill with these chick flicks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    plindboe wrote
    To anyone who haven't heard Eidelman's "Christopher Columbus" yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAplSho_s0

I just worship the theme that plays so triumphantly from 4:42 to 5:42. Holy crap, it kicks so much behind!

Peter punk

Interesting you should say that, as I'm just now playing the soundtrack for the first time in God knows how long. Curious coincidence.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited
    Ah. Eidelman... a travesty that such a brilliant gifted composer doesn't get the proper assignments he deserves. Even master Goldsmith endorsed him... by the way his conducting of the Alien suite is spot on. What a great re-recording.

I love his score for that Columbus movie, and I remember (way back in 1992) I was floored by the young Catherine Zeta-Jones... (who was a totally unknown actress at that time)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    Indeed. I don't believe the "it's his choice" crap either.
  2. New interview with the composer:

http://www.stageandscreenonline.com/dow … elman.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Thanks for the link. I always wondered if we would see him score another Magdalene again, or some level of compositions that don't rank amidst the lightweight comedy range, but as years go by i am afraid that probably won't happen.
  3. it's time he gets some scoring assignments soon enough, far too good composer to just vanish like that sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree but i don't see this happening. Hollywood style has now departed from the kind of music he writes, even more. It's funny to observe how otherwise great and very successful in previous decades' composers, only get the smaller, insignificant romantic comedies these days, at best.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    I agree but i don't see this happening. Hollywood style has now departed from the kind of music he writes, even more. It's funny to observe how otherwise great and very successful in previous decades' composers, only get the smaller, insignificant romantic comedies these days, at best.

sometimes, those smaller movies often house the best filmmusic of late (something Mikael is showing us month and month again smile )

I still hope he makes a comeback though, sometimes it needs just one film to get these forgotten heroes back on the market
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

sometimes, those smaller movies often house the best filmmusic of late (something Mikael is showing us month and month again smile )

I still hope he makes a comeback though, sometimes it needs just one film to get these forgotten heroes back on the market

I don't mean just smaller movies, those aren't the ones big names usually score. I mean crap like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,The Lizzie McGuire Movie, he's just not that into you or the hollywood cheese-rides that John Debney is scoring.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't mean just smaller movies, those aren't the ones big names usually score. I mean crap like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants,The Lizzie McGuire Movie, he's just not that into you or the hollywood cheese-rides that John Debney is scoring.

I would have loved to hear Eidelman writing music for Aliens in the Attic or Meet Dave, if you ever heard Meteor Man you know it was milestones away from the mediocre crap of Debney smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I've pointed this out before but I'll state it again... the reason he is scoring THOSE types of pictures is because he has frequently collaborated with the director's of those films. Sure, it would be great to have him score bigger blcokbusters but right now the best thing for Eidelman is to continue working no matter what the project is... well, he can say no to wedding videos because that shit is career suicide!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, he can say no to wedding videos because that shit is career suicide!

-Erik-

biggrin You're talking out of bitter personal experience, i guess?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, he can say no to wedding videos because that shit is career suicide!

-Erik-

biggrin You're talking out of bitter personal experience, i guess?

I have never and will never work on a wedding video. For the amount of work that a person put into those things compared to the pay it's totally not worth ANYONE'S while.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for your view. I was tempted, some time ago, to tell you the truth, 'cause people who know i have a (semi-)pro hdv shoulder camera have been asking me to do some wedding videos but i've been repeatedly denying. I guess i did good wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011 edited
    Cliff Eidelman has signed on to score the drama Everybody Loves Whales.

The movie stars Drew BarrymooooooooHHHHHHHHH FUCK!@()$()*$)(*!~!!~~!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cliff Eidelman has signed on to score the drama Everybody Loves Whales.

The movie stars Drew BarrymooooooooHHHHHHHHH FUCK!@()$()*$)(*!~!!~~!!!

I assume it's not a whale film, but rather another one of those endless chick flicks that Eidelman has been doing in the last, what.....15 years?!?
    I am extremely serious.