• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011
    An horrendous waste of a composer with great ability.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wow, way to NOT jump to conclusions. rolleyes

Here's the plot -

The film is based on the 1989 book Freeing the Whales: How the Media Created the World's Greatest Non-Event by Tom Rose, which covers Operation Breakthrough, the 1988 international effort to rescue gray whales from being trapped in ice near Point Barrow, Alaska.

While it's being labeled as a romantic/drama... whatever that means... I think there could be a chance for Eidelman to stretch his wings here.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Wow, way to NOT jump to conclusions. rolleyes

Here's the plot -

The film is based on the 1989 book Freeing the Whales: How the Media Created the World's Greatest Non-Event by Tom Rose, which covers Operation Breakthrough, the 1988 international effort to rescue gray whales from being trapped in ice near Point Barrow, Alaska.

While it's being labeled as a romantic/drama... whatever that means... I think there could be a chance for Eidelman to stretch his wings here.

-Erik-

Or his fins, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmm? I know nothing. Looks like a non-score album?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Does anyone know anything about this CD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Muse/dp/B002 … amp;sr=1-5

Yeah, I remember that album from when it came out, but I never got around to checking it out. Adult pop album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just listened to the clips. Really lovely stuff, although the vocals (by Cliff himself) ain't all that -- reminded me a bit of Rick Wright's solo work, in fact. The album seems to have a slightly celtic sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have it, synthy ballad like pop. Vocals are very cheesy. Nothing to write home about i think.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote

Eidelman sure knows how to make music for free whales, considering his excellent score for Free Willy 3. It does indeed sound like an opportunity for Eidelman to stretch his wings.

Peter smile
  1. Samples for "Big Miracle":
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … it569mmfo4
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    Thanks Justin....hm, let's listen....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012 edited
    STAR TREK VI THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY

Great score but this is too much for me, I'm happy with the original release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    Just had a look as well, and I agree.
    45 minutes does this wonderfl score great justice.
    I fear this is one of those cases where "more" isn't "better".

That said, I absolutely love these releases, including the film mix AS WELL as the original album.
    With this CD out of print for quite a while now, I'd pick this up in a heartbeat if I didn't have the original CD release.
    (It certainly helps that it's a really fine score with one of the most "mature" Star Trek" sounds).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    Just had a look as well, and I agree.
    45 minutes does this wonderfl score great justice.
    I fear this is one of those cases where "more" isn't "better".

That said, I absolutely love these releases, including the film mix AS WELL as the original album.
    With this CD out of print for quite a while now, I'd pick this up in a heartbeat if I didn't have the original CD release.
    (It certainly helps that it's a really fine score with one of the most "mature" Star Trek" sounds).

It's a great score, but I don't know if there was vital material missing. Time will tell smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Guess what I feel?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Guess what I feel?

A boner coming on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2012
    Review of the Star Trek VI expansion:
    http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2266

I also did a capsule review of Big Miracle a few weeks ago:
    http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=2145
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Meh. Two Eidelman scores I didn't care for. I've liked pretty much everything else he's done though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You don't like Star Trek VI but like pretty much everything else he's done? Have you considered having a CAT scan?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    His Star trek score is one of his few scores that doesn't have a theme that blows me away, same with Big miracle. It's just nice sounding music, that doesn't do anything for me. The only half decent theme is the one heard in Clear all moorings, Sign off and the suite, but I find it rather weak and unfinished. By unfinished I mean it sounds like it's half of a theme, that doesn't seem to go anywhere; or rather like a snippet of a theme. I'd listen Courage's, Goldsmith's, Horner's, McCarthy's, Giacchino's and even Rosenman's themes any day of the week before Eidelman's.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really enjoy Eidelman's score but I do know what you mean, it's not 'rounded'...'complete' enough.
  3. Timmer wrote

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Thor, we all get i--

WTF? dizzy
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
    Who? Me? uhm wink
  4. a couple of new reviews

- The Beautician and the Beast
    - Crazy People
    - Magdalene
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014
    Cool, thanks. I actually haven't heard the last two of those. I appreciate that you mark the best tracks, so I can go and listen to these tracks on youtube before I decide whether to get the scores.

Peter smile
  5. plindboe wrote
    Cool, thanks. I actually haven't heard the last two of those. I appreciate that you mark the best tracks, so I can go and listen to these tracks on youtube before I decide whether to get the scores.

Peter smile

be careful about Crazy People, as I said in the review, that amazing track is completely different from the rest, it gives you a different impression
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Peter smile
  6. Intrada releases The Meteor Man (A score with a kick ass Superman like theme)

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 274
    Date: 1993
    Time: 71:02
    Tracks: 38

World premiere release of dynamic, action-packed Cliff Eidelman soundtrack for Robert Townsend super-hero film with director as writer, star and inspiration for tale of Jefferson Reed, mild-mannered high school teacher afraid to confront bullying gang known as The Lords until encounter with emerald meteor gives him super powers. Soon neighbors, cops and locals join forces with "Meteor Man" to form unified front against adversaries. Townsend adds many familiar faces to his film including James Earl Jones, Don Cheadle, Robert Guillaume, Maria Gibbs, Bill Cosby, Sinbad, others. Eidelman is asked to provide "bigger-than-life orchestral sound" to convey high energy, excitement of film. Composer takes cue from Star Wars, Back To The Future as well as his own muscular Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, creates large-scale symphonic score with skyfull of action music, replete with rousing major-key hero theme. When all is said and done, Eidelman wraps with resounding statement of main theme, including vivid fortissimo coda to bring score to grand finish. Several "extras" include powerful alternate version of "Katare Duel" sequence, a highlight, plus short bridge cues, other bits. Entire CD presented in stereo from digital session masters courtesy MGM. A big, meteoric score if there ever was one! Cliff Eidelman conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

01. Main Title (1:44)
    02. Ain’t Crossing Street (1:01)
    03. Initiation (2:32)
    04. Meteor Strikes (2:47)
    05. Jefferson Reed (0:38)
    06. Stromburg Theory (2:38)
    07. Offensive Plan (1:00)
    08. Jet Magazine (2:12)
    09. X-Ray Vision (Version 2) (1:18)
    10. Jeff Protects Dad (2:07)
    11. Something’s Coming (1:45)
    12. Mrs. Walker (1:31)
    13. Off To Work (0:54)
    14. Cleaning Up The Hood (Revised 2) (2:33)
    15. Emergency Meeting (1:04)
    16. Slinky’s Like Life (1:51)
    17. The Imposter (3:15)
    18. Jeff Catches Bullets (Version 2) (1:31)
    19. Forced Entry (1:40)
    20. Jeff Says He’ll Leave (2:22)
    21. Double-Cross (6:05)
    22. Meteor Spill (3:08)
    23. Karate Duel (4:06)
    24. Oh No Ellington (1:55)
    25. Ultimate Hero (1:44)
    26. Reviving Ellington (1:24)
    27. Bloods And Crips Unite (3:06)
    Total Time: 58:32

The Extras
    28. Poor Lewis (0:22)
    29. Ellington Speaks (0:38)
    30. X-Ray Vision (Original) (0:52)
    31. Jealous Boyfriend (0:32)
    32. Simon Says (0:19)
    33. Suspicious Polaroid (0:17)
    34. Cleaning Up The Hood (Revised) (2:29)
    35. Emergency Meeting (Alternate) (0:37)
    36. Take Off The Uniform (0:23)
    37. Jeff Catches Bullets (Original) (1:29)
    38. Karate Duel (Alternate) (4:06)
    Total Extras Time: 12:19