• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    omaha wrote

Ah, man!

In the Mood
    Pen. 6-5000

you must have heard these

*shame* No. Sorry. Outside the world of film music I know about only two things:
    Queen and Michael Jackson.

Timmer wrote
    Never heard Glenn Miller!? shocked I'd bet money that you have but just didn't realise, it's played as source music for many WW II movies and documentaries, some of the catchiest tunes you are ever likely to hear.

Now that's more likely. I'm sure I've heard him, just didn't know it.

Speaking of jazz and WWII, how's about John Williams' piece inspired from "Sing Sing Sing" in 1941? Now that's fun!!!!

Yeah! I like that one. punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    omaha wrote

Ah, man!

In the Mood
    Pen. 6-5000

you must have heard these

*shame* No. Sorry. Outside the world of film music I know about only two things:
    Queen and Michael Jackson.

Timmer wrote
    Never heard Glenn Miller!? shocked I'd bet money that you have but just didn't realise, it's played as source music for many WW II movies and documentaries, some of the catchiest tunes you are ever likely to hear.

Now that's more likely. I'm sure I've heard him, just didn't know it.

Speaking of jazz and WWII, how's about John Williams' piece inspired from "Sing Sing Sing" in 1941? Now that's fun!!!!

Yeah! I like that one. punk cool

In the Mood is playing during the breakfast scene in the beginning of 1941.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    There you go JF, check it out next time you see the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus … l+Mood.htm

Miller was swing and dance but very popular in his day. The above link is a CD Grusin did a few years ago.

"Sing Sing Sing With A Swing" is best heard on the Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall Concert with Krupa doing the drums.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    Ok, I did play again Black Dahlia the other day.

How could I forget that powerhouse opening track?? Wow, this score is magnificent.

But the jazz elements in it don't dominate the score, in my opinion. They're like a recurring background flavour, and quite welcome respite from the hard-hitting dark cues.

It's much more balanced than something like Quiz Show or Losing Isaiah or Little Man Tate. These are wall-to-wall jazz, nothing but happy-go-lucky bland landscapes with no real emotions or drama to them.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Elmer Bernstein's scoring using the jazz style is a great place to start. Erik already mentioned The Man With The Golden Arm, but his score from 2 years later Sweet Smell of Success is definitely one to look out for as another example of that raw urban jazz style. Another would be Some Came Running.

Also, Bernstein's score to Anna Lucasta (recently released as a Varese Club CD title) not as "harsh" as the above-mentioned scores. And this one has the added benefit of having some - as Jerry McCulley mentions in the liner notes - "emotionally introspective" cues akin to To Kill A Mockingbird.

And then there's Duke Ellington's Anatomy of A Murder.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    For anyone interested, the soundtrack to Bird, the Eastwood film about Charlie Parker will give you an idea of what jazz really is albiet very conservative in this film due to the fact that the sax player could only approach Parker in what he was capable of doing.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2008 edited
    I think the best Jazzy scores have all been written in the sixties and seventies. Two Italian composer's represent the best of jazz in film scoring ever;

-Piero Piccioni - Camille 2000, Un Tentativo Sentimentale, I Giovani Tigri, Fumo Di Londra, Il Disprezzo (Italian scored version of Le Mepris)...

-Piero Umiliani - Svezia, Inferno E Paradiso , La Ragazza Dalla Pelle di Luna, Requiem Per Un Agente Segreto...

Many of them include a lot of different jazz styles (acid, psychedelic etc.) and are also very groovy, loungy, funky and so much more...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    My custom Jazz Film Score Playlist

Cafe Swing ~ Horner, James ~ *Batteries Not Included
    Catch Me If You Can (Reprise and End Credits) ~ Williams, John ~ Catch Me If You Can
    Love Theme from Chinatown (End Title) ~ Goldsmith, Jerry ~ Chinatown
    The Cooler ~ Isham, Mark ~ The Cooler
    Lara's Theme [Jazz Version] ~ Jarre, Maurice ~ Doctor Zhivago
    The Edge ~ Goldsmith, Jerry ~ The Edge
    Main Title (Jack's Theme) ~ Grusin, Dave ~ The Fabulous Baker Boys
    Soft on Me ~ Grusin, Dave ~ The Fabulous Baker Boys
    The Moment of Truth ~ Grusin, Dave ~ The Fabulous Baker Boys
    End Title (Marlowe's Theme) (Farewell, My Lovely) ~ Shire, David ~ Farewell, My Lovely / Monkey Shines
    Willa's Theme ~ Goldsmith, Jerry ~ Fierce Creatures
    Main Theme [Jazz Version] ~ Rugolo, Peter ~ The Fugitive [TV]
    Main Title ~ Howard, James Newton ~ Glengarry Glen Ross
    End Titles ~ Howard, James Newton ~ Guilty By Suspicion
    Hawk Swing ~ Kraft, Robert ~ Hudson Hawk
    Moon River {from Breakfast at Tiffany's} ~ Mancini, Henry ~ In Session: A Film Music Celebration
    Down Here on the Ground - Cool Hand Luke ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    The Cat - Joy House ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    The Face of Love - The Osterman Weekend ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    The Cincinnati Kid - Cincinnati Kid ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Street Lights - Cincinnati Kid ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    That Night - The Fox ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Mission: Impossible - Mission: Impossible ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    People Alone - Competition ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Once a Thief - Once A Thief ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Share the Dream - Manhattan Merengue ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Bullitt (Main Title) - Bullitt ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Blues for Basie - Roller Coaster ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Insinuations - Once A Thief ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    The Race Is On - Golden Needles ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz Goes to Hollywood
    Suite from Bullitt ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz in Film
    Touch of Evil ~ Mancini, Henry ~ Jazz in Film
    Cinderella Liberty ~ Williams, John ~ Jazz in Film
    Dudley Moore Tribute ~ Moore, Dudley ~ Jazz in Film
    The Gauntlet ~ Fielding, Jerry ~ Jazz in Film
    The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3 ~ Shire, David ~ Jazz in Film
    The Man With the Golden Arm ~ Bernstein, Elmer ~ Jazz in Film
    Walk on the Wild Side ~ Bernstein, Elmer ~ Jazz in Film
    Dirty Harry Suite ~ Schifrin, Lalo ~ Jazz in Film
    Austin Powers (Soul Bossa Nova) ~ Jones, Quincy ~ Jazz in Film
    Last Tango in Paris Suite [Jazz Waltz] ~ Barbieri, Gato ~ Last Tango in Paris
    It's Probably Me ~ Sting/ Clapton, Eric ~ Lethal Weapon 3
    Main Title from "The Pink Panther Strikes Again": The Pink Panther Theme ~ Mancini, Henry ~ The Pink Panther Strikes Again
    Round Midnight ~ Hancock, Herbie ~ Round Midnight
    Rounders ~ Young, Christopher ~ Rounders
    Brass Brazilians ~ Young, Christopher ~ Rounders
    The Family Arrives ~ Goldsmith, Jerry ~ The Russia House
    Moonlight ~ Williams, John ~ Sabrina
    The Party Sequence ~ Williams, John ~ Sabrina
    Flashback ~ Shore, Howard ~ The Score
    New Orleans Street ~ North, Alex ~ A Streetcar Named Desire
    Car Train ~ Jazz Jury, The ~ Swingers
    Tu Vuo' Fa l'Americano ~ Guy Barker International Quintet, The ~ The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Pent-Up House ~ Various Artists ~ The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Moanin' ~ Barker, Guy ~ The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Four ~ Various Artists ~ The Talented Mr. Ripley
    You Don't Know What Love Is ~ Guy Barker International Quintet, The ~ The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Theme from Taxi Driver ~ Herrmann, Bernard ~ Taxi Driver
    Jazz Autographs ~ Williams, John ~ The Terminal
    Goodnight/Breaking & Entering ~ Conti, Bill ~ The Thomas Crown Affair
    Attic Jazz/Attic Beguine ~ Duning, George ~ Toys in the Attic
    Cool World (Mark Isham) ~ Isham, Mark ~ Varese Sarabande: 25th Anniversary Vol. 2
    Nobody and Nothing - Jazz ~ Barry, John ~ The Whisperers
    Valiant and Valiant ~ Silvestri, Alan ~ Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Why Don't Do You Do Right? ~ Silvestri, Alan ~ Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Jessica's Theme ~ Silvestri, Alan ~ Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Eddie's Theme ~ Silvestri, Alan ~ Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Swing, Swing, Swing ~ Williams, John ~ 1941
    36 Hours (Jazz Trio) ~ Tiomkin, Dimitri ~ 36 Hours (FSM)

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent, thanks Erik cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm surprised to see your only Barry choice is from The Whisperers? Barry has done so many jazzy tracks.

p.s. Except for a few I'm not familiar with that looks like a fantastic selection and listen Erik beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Erik!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks Erik!

confused

I thought you didn't like Jazz?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i like it in certain moments. One is when i have good friends over for a relaxed dinner or games. Another is.....when.....[censored]
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I'm surprised to see your only Barry choice is from The Whisperers? Barry has done so many jazzy tracks.

p.s. Except for a few I'm not familiar with that looks like a fantastic selection and listen Erik beer

The list was pretty much something I through together within 10 minutes or so. What other Barry recommendation would you make?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, i like it in certain moments. One is when i have good friends over for a relaxed dinner or games. Another is.....when.....[censored]

taps nose Say no more cool wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

The list was pretty much something I through together within 10 minutes or so. What other Barry recommendation would you make?

-Erik-

I'd have to look through my albums but there are some great jazzy cues on the likes of The Ipcress File, The Knack, Body Heat, Hammett and particularly Petulia which has a handful. One that particularly springs to mind is Dance With Reality from The Beyondness of Things and it's a great, more modern jazzy track.

I think I've mentioned Barry's non soundtrack album Americans before? Excellent album but only ever available on LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

taps nose Say no more cool wink

I'm trying to imagine D.'s...erm...action while playing jazz....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    My custom Jazz Film Score Playlist

Interesting list there, Erik!
    Some in there I should definitely add to mine. Equally some I wouldn't put in for love or money. wink

Just as a matter of interest, here's mine:

Biloxi Blues - Rhythm To End - from "Le Cinéma De Georges Delerue" by Georges Delerue
    Les Guêpes - Les Guêpes - from "Le Cinéma De Georges Delerue" by Georges Delerue
    Play Time - Bossa Pour Monsieur Hulot (Maquette Inédite) - from "Le Cinéma De Georges Delerue" by Georges Delerue
    Diamond - from "Snatch" by Klint
    Latin Golightly - from "Breakfast At Tiffany's" by Henry Mancini
    Holly - from "Breakfast At Tiffany's" by Henry Mancini
    Flutter's Ball - from "Experiment In Terror" by Henry Mancini
    Kelly's Tune - from "Experiment In Terror" by Henry Mancini
    Crocodile, Go Home ! - from "Hatari!" by Henry Mancini
    Blue Steel - from "The Jazz Sound From Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini
    Session At Pete's Pad - from "The Jazz Sound From Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini
    Sorta Blue - from "The Jazz Sound From Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini
    Fallout! - from "The Jazz Sound From Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini
    The Floater - from "The Jazz Sound From Peter Gunn" by Henry Mancini
    Royal Blue - from "The Pink Panther" by Henry Mancini
    Main Title - from "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Alex North
    Main Title (Movie Version) - from "Bullitt" by Lalo Schifrin
    Room 26 (Movie Version) - from "Bullitt" by Lalo Schifrin
    Hotel Daniels - from "Bullitt" by Lalo Schifrin
    Taco-Taquito - from "Gone With The Wave" by Lalo Schifrin
    I've Been Working On The Railroad (Album Version) - from "Kelly's Heroes" by Lalo Schifrin
    Battle Hymn Of The Republic (Album Version) - from "Kelly's Heroes" by Lalo Schifrin
    Hunt Down - from "Mannix" by Lalo Schifrin
    Mannix Title Track (Long Version) - from "Mannix" by Lalo Schifrin
    Turn Every Stone - from "Mannix" by Lalo Schifrin
    The Shadow - from "Mannix" by Lalo Schifrin
    You Should Have Known - from "Mannix" by Lalo Schifrin
    End Game - from "Mannix" by Lalo Schifrin
    Shade - from "Shade" by Christopher Young
    Shades Of Grey - from "Shade" by Christopher Young
    Rat Race - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Three Time Blueser - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Radio Hysteria - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Theme From ''Anna Lucasta'' - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Hop, Skip But Jump - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Big Top - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Sweet Smell Of Success - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    The Man With The Golden Arm - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Jubilation - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Walk On The Wild Side - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    Main Title Theme From ''Baby The Rain Must Fall'' - from "Elmer Bernstein: A Man And His Movies" by Elmer Bernstein
    The Grind (nightclub source) - from "The Gypsy Moths" by Elmer Bernstein
    Water Wings (nightclub source) - from "The Gypsy Moths" by Elmer Bernstein
    Johnny Staccato - from "Jazz In Prime Time" by Elmer Bernstein
    A Rage In Harlem - from "A Rage In Harlem" by Elmer Bernstein
    Hallies Jazz - from "Walk On The Wild Side" by Elmer Bernstein
    Walk On The Wild Side Jazz - from "Walk On The Wild Side" by Elmer Bernstein
    M Squad Theme - from "M Squad" by Count Basie
    The Chase - from "M Squad" by John Williams
    A Lady Sings The Blues - from "M Squad" by Stanley Wilson
    A Shot In The Dark [From 'A Shot In The Dark'] - from "The Ultimate Pink Panther" by Henry Mancini
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    Some very nice listening Erik and Martijn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some great choices there Martijn beer Both yourself and Erik have some great selections.

But I'm seriously surprised that neither of you have anything from a real master of jazz that is Michel Legrand? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Errrrr....not a Legrand fan.
    As you can probably see from my list, I'm pretty partial to the big band or cool jazz approach, neither of which I would think is Legrand's forte.

Though I'd happily take some suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    As you can probably see from my list, I'm pretty partial to the big band or cool jazz approach, neither of which I would think is Legrand's forte.

Not even his score to The Thomas Crown Affair? Overflowing with cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

Please do! Again, my list was just a spur of the moment thing so the more recommendations the better!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Not heard it.
    Will be on the lookout for it!
    Cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cool Hand Luke, Cincinnati Kid (Both Schifrin) I Want to Live (Mandel), Harlow (Hefti), Anatomy of a Murder (Ellington), Bird (Lot of cool Parker), and Round Midnight (Gordon and Hancock). Jazz by Ken Burns has a lot of cool cuts also and is available in a CD.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not heard it.
    Will be on the lookout for it!
    Cheers! beer

Really?

It's full of cool cues ( and a couple of dramatic ones ), damn, it's worth it for the oh so sexy and hesitatingly slinky The Chess Game alone cool And as if that wasn't enough there's a gorgeous instrumental version of The Windmills of Your Mind played on harpsichord....GET GET GET GET GETTTTTTT!!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'll think about it...
    Timmer wrote:
    harpsichord
    harpischord?

GET GET GET!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Cool Hand Luke, Cincinnati Kid (Both Schifrin) I Want to Live (Mandel), Harlow (Hefti), Anatomy of a Murder (Ellington), Bird (Lot of cool Parker), and Round Midnight (Gordon and Hancock). Jazz by Ken Burns has a lot of cool cuts also and is available in a CD.
    Thomas

Cool Hand Luke jazzy?
    Hmmm... I kinda see what you mean, but it's not the kind of jazz I'm comfy with (like funk, pop and soul being referred to as "jazz"... I can see where they might be, but it doesn't float my boat in that context).

I have Ken Burns' Jazz, but obviously that's not film music but pre-existing tracks.
    It's a pretty good compilation, though! cool