• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    I just bought an Itunes only score by Mark Isham The Women. It is a lighter jazz score with upbeat piano, hammond organ, brass, drum machines, guitar and vibraphone. Way different than his own jazzy tinged and orchestral score, the exquisite The Black Dahlia. The Women is a fun and good listening experience. I love jazzy scores like Barry's Playing by Heart or Goldsmith's the Russia House Which one would you recommend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    I love and recommend Michael Giacchino's The Incredibles. It's a fun combination of jazz and orchestral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Lethal Weapon Series beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008 edited
    A few that I adore include...

The first and second are obvious selections... THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM by Elmer Bernstein and A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE by Alex North. Those two helped introduce jazz into mainstream film scoring.

I always enjoyed Dave Gruin's smokey THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS.

GLENGARY GLEN ROSS by James Newton Howard almost seems like source music. And sticking with JNH his score to RObert Deniro's GUILTY BY SUSPICION is also a fabulous listen.

The dramatic jazz scoring of THE SCORE by Howard Shore is a winner.

Alan Silvestri wrote one of his greatest scores for WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? which contain a handful of wonderful jazz numbers.

And one of the most surprising uses of jazz was Goldsmith's inspired End Title track from THE EDGE. It perfectly summed up the films main theme in a jazz style which brilliantly complimented Anthony Hopkin's character!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    And one of the most surprising uses of jazz was Goldsmith's inspired End Title track from THE EDGE. It perfectly summed up the films main theme in a jazz style which brilliantly complimented Anthony Hopkin's character!

-Erik-

One of my favourite 90's Goldsmith scores. I always thought that cue was such a good choice to round the score off with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik picked a couple of excellent ones with Golden Arm and Streetcar. Walk on the Wild Side, I Want To Live, and On The Waterfront are others to explore.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd strongly ( very strongly ) recommend THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR by Michel Legrand but to be honest I would be surprised if you didn't already have it Martin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of my favourite 90's Goldsmith scores. I always thought that cue was such a good choice to round the score off with.

I third this one mate!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    LSH wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I third this one mate!

Apart fom that last track this is hardly what Martin asked for.

Again, I'd suspect he already has this anyway!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I would say Russia House, a wonderful work from Goldsmith, for a jazz trio (very elegant), strings, electronics and duduk. Wonderful themes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Chinatown -Goldsmith
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    Your really beginning to drift away from jazz with Chinatown. Some will argue with you that there has to be improvised material. One of my favorite jazz piano players Bill Evans hardly played the same song twice.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    Your really beginning to drift away from jazz with Chinatown. Some will argue with you that there has to be improvised material. One of my favorite jazz piano players Bill Evans hardly played the same song twice.
    Thomas smile

fair statement
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sonny Rollins score for ALFIE ( The original starring Michael Caine ) falls into a more genuine jazz score catagory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And of course improv material is really difficult in a soundtrack. As much as the Soprano Sax material from Catch Me If You Can sounds like improv Williams wrote every single note for Higgins.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Your comment makes sense Tom. Improvisation is a big part of jazz music but when a composer writes at the beginning , it often starts as an improv. I think that Thomas Newman was mentioning in an interview lately that a big part of his music is improvised. Does that make it jazz music?
    When someone mentions the word jazz, I have a sense and an image that comes to mind. That traditional upright bass with drums, piano and saxophone but I'm sure it can be anything else too.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote
    I'd strongly ( very strongly ) recommend THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR by Michel Legrand but to be honest I would be surprised if you didn't already have it Martin.

I do have it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A TALE OF GOD'S WILL: REQUIEM FOR KATRINA (Terence Blanchard) is the best case of cool, laid back smooth urban jazz i've ever heard. Touchinig stuff, strong and emotional, soothing and melodic. Same goes for ROLFE KENT'S REIGN OVER ME
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    A TALE OF GOD'S WILL: REQUIEM FOR KATRINA (Terence Blanchard) is the best case of cool, laid back smooth urban jazz i've ever heard. Touchinig stuff, strong and emotional, soothing and melodic. Same goes for ROLFE KENT'S REIGN OVER ME

Well, Blanchard comes from a jazz background anyway.

I see that he's about to tour with Herbie Hancock's band, Hancock himself is no stranger to film scores...Death Wish, Blow Up...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote

I do have it.

It's good to be right beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Isham's jazzy side really bores me. (even though I realize jazz is his foremost and primary formation, sorry Mark) I much prefer when he does stuff like Racing Stripes.

But I otherwise love jazz in film music when it's dramatic and/or upbeat. The Russia House is sublime as many have pointed out and that ending to The Edge is an unexpected riot, but if you want a truly upbeat and FUN bit of jazz check out Horner's jazzy cues on Cocoon : The Return. W-o-w, that is truly exciting. Also check out his short score for Once Around. Horner's jazz is never boring.

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Tintin wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Your comment makes sense Tom. Improvisation is a big part of jazz music but when a composer writes at the beginning , it often starts as an improv. I think that Thomas Newman was mentioning in an interview lately that a big part of his music is improvised. Does that make it jazz music?
    When someone mentions the word jazz, I have a sense and an image that comes to mind. That traditional upright bass with drums, piano and saxophone but I'm sure it can be anything else too.

The initial concept of jazz music is that the players are making it up as they go along. In that way, it could also be said that the pianists improvising to silent films in the cinemas of he 1920´s were playing jazz? Or maybe not, I´m not sure.

Quincy Jones did some very interesting jazz work in the 70s. His electronic music for "The Getaway" with Steve Mcqueen definately seems improvised, and then later edited to suit the cue points in the film. And didn´t Herbie Hancock win an Oscar in the 80´s for a soundtrack he improvised?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    Isham's jazzy side really bores me. (even though I realize jazz is his foremost and primary formation, sorry Mark) I much prefer when he does stuff like Racing Stripes.

But I otherwise love jazz in film music when it's dramatic and/or upbeat. The Russia House is sublime as many have pointed out and that ending to The Edge is an unexpected riot, but if you want a truly upbeat and FUN bit of jazz check out Horner's jazzy cues on Cocoon : The Return. W-o-w, that is truly exciting. Also check out his short score for Once Around. Horner's jazz is never boring.

J-F

Even BLACK DAHLIA? No way!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    They all kinda blend together in my head... I need to listen to Black Dahlia again to give you an honest opinion but I think my impression was that I was much more favorable to that one, indeed.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We use to play improv in school. There was no sheet music involved and you just played what you felt at the time.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote

J-F

Those Horner cues, though nice, are nothing more than luke warm Glenn Miller.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I haven't heard any Glenn Miller. Must be a fun listen. Even though I know nothing of the artist, I know I most likely couldn't expect him to pen the intimate and bittersweetly moving material that can also be found on Cocoon : The Return. Horner did both in the same score.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    HeeroJF wrote
    I haven't heard any Glenn Miller. Must be a fun listen. Even though I know nothing of the artist, I know I most likely couldn't expect him to pen the intimate and bittersweetly moving material that can also be found on Cocoon : The Return. Horner did both in the same score.

Ah, man!

In the Mood
    Pen. 6-5000

you must have heard these
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote

Never heard Glenn Miller!? shocked I'd bet money that you have but just didn't realise, it's played as source music for many WW II movies and documentaries, some of the catchiest tunes you are ever likely to hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    omaha wrote

Ah, man!

In the Mood
    Pen. 6-5000

you must have heard these

*shame* No. Sorry. Outside the world of film music I know about only two things:
    Queen and Michael Jackson.

Timmer wrote
    Never heard Glenn Miller!? shocked I'd bet money that you have but just didn't realise, it's played as source music for many WW II movies and documentaries, some of the catchiest tunes you are ever likely to hear.

Now that's more likely. I'm sure I've heard him, just didn't know it.

Speaking of jazz and WWII, how's about John Williams' piece inspired from "Sing Sing Sing" in 1941? Now that's fun!!!!