• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008 edited
    A lovely composer. Though in recent years I discovered more and more that she copied other scores (almost) literally. I just noticed something else on the Wolf's Rain Ost 2 cd; ''Face On'' is copied from Finding Beauty by Armstrong from As if to as Nothing.

This topic sums it up pretty nice:
    http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3128

The important question that needs to be raised is as follows; how much does she really copy? I surely hope that most of her music wasn't copied from other music, because it's often very pretty and music that I like so much. But these signs are a bit disturbing.

Some of the mentioned score copying:

Napple Tale:
    A Stroll --> Patrick Doyle "Willoughby" (Sense and Sensibility OST)

Macross Plus:
    Go Ri A Te --> Ryuichi Sakamoto “Thousand Knives” (Thousand Knives)

Brain Powered:
    Crossing --> Vangelis “End Title” (Blade Runner OST)
    Prism --> Alan Silvestri “Pseudopod” (The Abyss OST)

Turn-A Gundam:
    Innocent Lie --> Eric Serra “Fatal Weakness” (Goldeneye OST)

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex:
    Fish ~ Silent Cruise --> Craig Armstrong “Ruthless Gravity” (As If To Nothing)

Wolf’s Rain (ost 2):
    Face On --> Craig Armstrong “Finding Beauty” (As If To Nothing)
    Beyond Me --> Patrick Doyle "The Death of Falstaff" (Henry V OST)
    Indiana --> Patrick Doyle "Upon the King" (Also Henry V)

Wolf's Rain (ost 1)
    "Heaven’s Not Enough" --> Craig Armstrong “Wake Up In New York” (As If To Nothing)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    I've noticed those rips, and they're pretty much on the James Horner level of plagiarism. But considering the overall effort she put in her scores, I don't care as much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008 edited
    I generally don't care where music comes, as long as it moves me. If a composer uses someone else's motif in an even more effective way than they did, they hey, I say the joke's on them. That's why I've always been one of Horner's most ardent supporters.

But I need to pick up some more Yoko Kanno... She's so popular among my circles, and yet I barely have any of her work.

But of course what I do have is masterful: the theme song to Record of Lodoss Wars: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. That song is AMAZING.

I suppose I could get Cowboy Bebop seeing as everyone talks about that music, but from watching the show the score was making me squirm in a very, very bad way.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    I suppose I could get Cowboy Bebop seeing as everyone talks about that music, but from watching the show the score was making me squirm in a very, very bad way.

What I love about the Cowboy Bebop music is that it serves as both source and score music, seamlessly blurring the line, allowing the viewer (me) to be immersed in the the world that they've created. There were so much music that was composed for the show, but the big band/jazz/rock approach is definitely not for everyone.
  1. HeeroJF wrote
    I generally don't care where music comes, as long as it moves me. If a composer uses someone else's motif in an even more effective way than they did, they hey, I say the joke's on them. That's why I've always been one of Horner's most ardent supporters.

But I need to pick up some more Yoko Kanno... She's so popular among my circles, and yet I barely have any of her work.

But of course what I do have is masterful: the theme song to Record of Lodoss Wars: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. That song is AMAZING.

You mean Kiseki no umi? Love singing it on karaoke... biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    I love her music. Wolf’s Rain 1 and 2 are very, very good and VISION OF ESANFLOWE is a modern orchestral gem.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    As far as it was mentioned here that Yoko copies a lot of other scores, I also read that Yoko Kanno is a marketing face and behind her is a big group of composers working on the soundtracks.

Cowboy Bebop:
    Bad Dog, No Biscuit –> Tom Waits “New Orleans Instrumental”
    Pot City –> Angelo Badalamenti “Dub Driving” (from Lost Highway)
    Too Good, Too Bad –> Herbie Hancock “Chameleon”
    You Make Me Cool –> Harry Connick Jr. “Blue Light, Red Light (No One’s There)”
    Words That We Couldn’t Say –> Sting “La Belle Dame Sans Regrets”
    Zodiac Sign –> Imperial Drag “Want It All Back”
    Go Go, Cactus Man –> Ennio Morricone “Main Theme” (from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
    *(Debatable, since this is clearly an intentional Morricone homage, but still, this is the theme she based it on)

Call Me, Call Me –> The Verve “Bittersweet Symphony”
    Black Coffee –> Brigitte Fontaine “Comme a la Radio”
    On the Run –> Pink Floyd “On the Run” *Probably also intentional, if she used the same title
    Papa Plastic –> The Beatles “Come Together”
    Mushroom Hunting –> DJ Food “Let the Good Shine”

Cowboy Bebop Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door:
    Ask DNA –> Beck “Devil’s Haircut”
    Pushing the Sky –> Lunatic Calm “Leave You Far Behind”
    Yo Pumpkin Head –> Lou Bega “Mambo No.5”
    Powder –> Steve Reich “The Desert Music: 1st Mov’t”
    Cosmic Dare (Pretty with a Pistol) –> The Sugababes “Overload”
    Scott Matthew on “No Reply” - Skunk Anansie’s “Secretly”

Arjuna:
    Resonance of the Earth –> Russ Landau “Ancient Voices” (from Survivor)

Record of Lodoss War - Heroic Knight Legend:
    Sea of Miracles –> Adiemus “Adiemus”

Mizu no Onna:
    Searching for the Shadow of Umbrella –> Maurice Ravel “String Quartet in F: 2nd Mov’t”

Maaya Sakamoto:
    Alkaloid –> The Beatles “Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite”
    Noon Snow –>Frou Frou “Maddening Shroud”
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Maybe that is true? I know that there is a singer with a different name that is really her, yet she claims it isn't. Everyone knows it is...

Wolf's Rain Volume 1 and 2 are amazing. I'd be sad if it was a bunch of different composers, cause then it would mean I'd be less likely to like her other stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you heard VISION OF ESCANFLOWE? Mindblowing stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I have not, but I've heard great things about it.
  2. Panthera wrote
    Maybe that is true? I know that there is a singer with a different name that is really her, yet she claims it isn't. Everyone knows it is...

Wolf's Rain Volume 1 and 2 are amazing. I'd be sad if it was a bunch of different composers, cause then it would mean I'd be less likely to like her other stuff.

I think it's Daniella Robin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think it's Daniella Robin.

Gabriela Robin. wink
  3. Oh biggrin

Not far though!
    •