• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    MovieScore Media presents

JACK BROOKS: MONSTER SLAYER

Music Composed and Conducted by
    RYAN SHORE

Sound clips and more info:
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/jackbrooks.html

Limited CD edition (1000 copies) distributed by Screen Archives Entertainment:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10574

Download album in 320kbit mp3 format here:
    http://www.filmmusicdownloads.com/WebFi … tm?id=6368

Download album on iTunes here:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143444

Download album on Amazon.com here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Brooks-Monst … 001GNIKC0/

Our fourth project with Ryan Shore (if you haven't already, check out Headspace, the Girl Next Door and Numb/Kettle of Fish/Coney Island Baby) is our most exciting: a large, gothic orchestral horror score which pays tribute to the genre classics by Hans J. Salter, Herman Stein, Frank Skinner, James Bernard and Bernard Herrmann.

Recorded with the 93-piece Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, the score is epic, entertaining and exciting. "We all wanted an epic sound for this origin of a superhero, with a palette of intense energy, thematic motifs, dark brooding moments, playful tones, and powerful pounding action," the composer explains.

With its combination of horror and comedy, Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer has already won a lot of critical acclaim. Anchor Bay's DVD of the film is coming out on October 7, co-inciding with MovieScore Media's CD and online release of the score.

MMS08018 JACK BROOKS: MONSTER SLAYER - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by RYAN SHORE
    Release date: October 7, 2008.

CD EDITION LIMITED TO 1000 COPIES.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked the clips! This may also appeal to fans of Elfman's Batman and Horner's Aliens. Unfortunately my cash doesn't stretch far at the moment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    On my list of things to download here soon.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Download? What kind of download? wiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuu wiiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuu wiouuuuuuuuuuuuu wiouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Timmer wrote
    I liked the clips! This may also appeal to fans of Elfman's Batman and Horner's Aliens. Unfortunately my cash doesn't stretch far at the moment.

If it's available as a download it's worth shelling out the $9.99 - saving on additional physical CD costs and shipping.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008 edited
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/jackbrooks.html , take your pick.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  2. I revise my opinion of it that I made when listening to some sound clips on his website last year. It's just too mickey-mouse like. And the only cue that has any cohenrancy, the final track, falls apart after 0:13 and meanders about pointlessly.

The sound sample to L"oft" on the Comming Soon page isn't working.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    ...the only cue that has any cohenrancy, the final track, falls apart after 0:13...

Thirteen seconds! And that's the cue that has any coherency!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. But a very good thirteen seconds!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008
    Just a small bump to say that this score rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    justin boggan wrote
    I revise my opinion of it that I made when listening to some sound clips on his website last year. It's just too mickey-mouse like. And the only cue that has any cohenrancy, the final track, falls apart after 0:13 and meanders about pointlessly.

If you only like 13 seconds of the Jack Brooks album, Justin, how can you be a film music fan? shocked

The Loft track works now.

mc
  5. moviescore wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I revise my opinion of it that I made when listening to some sound clips on his website last year. It's just too mickey-mouse like. And the only cue that has any cohenrancy, the final track, falls apart after 0:13 and meanders about pointlessly.

If you only like 13 seconds of the Jack Brooks album, Justin, how can you be a film music fan? shocked

The Loft track works now.

mc

I think I know what Justin means, Jack Brooks sounds awesome yet loses like almost all film music albums nowadays the lack to tie the ideas into a thematic experience. I like how it builds, and this was just my first listen. It sure has potential, but it still has issues that needs further progressing in

by the way, the final cue is without doubt terrific wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    Download? What kind of download? wiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuu wiiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuu wiouuuuuuuuuuuuu wiouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Do you know the difference between a bungee cord and an owl?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    no....
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    My ass!!

(sorry if that makes little or no sense! When I saw "wiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuu wiiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuu" in your post I assumed you knew the movie Kung Pow : Enter the Fist, which this line was quote from!) biggrin
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2008 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I think I know what Justin means, Jack Brooks sounds awesome yet loses like almost all film music albums nowadays the lack to tie the ideas into a thematic experience. I like how it builds, and this was just my first listen. It sure has potential, but it still has issues that needs further progressing in

Well.... I don't agree. Ryan builds this score around several thematic ideas which creates a strong coherence, and it holds together very well. Of course, I am a little biased, but I react quite strongly when Justin Boggan claims that this album doesn't have any coherency with 13 seconds being the only exception...

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haven't heard it THAT good yet but i'd agree with Mikael that it's better than the average impersonal scores some people link this to.
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    ...I react quite strongly when some geek claims that this album doesn't have any coherency...

Why are you having ANY kind of reaction (strong, weak, or otherwise) to a guy you dismiss as "some geek"?
  6. Just purchased Jack Brooks and am enjoying it very much...so far!

My only other real experience with Ryan's work is the great little score that he composed for Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5TToNHKQS4).

Looking forward to other releases from Ryan along the lines of Jack Brooks/Rex Steele.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2008 edited
    King Rao wrote
    Why are you having ANY kind of reaction (strong, weak, or otherwise) to a guy you dismiss as "some geek"?

Good point... I guess I just have very strong feelings for this release in particular - of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I believe Jack Brooks is one of my best albums, and absolutely one of the most exciting and enjoyable scores this year. It should win a whole bunch of awards everywhere, in my opinion. It has everything I miss in the majority of today's scores, but on the contrary people seem to think that it has exactly the same problems as other scores do today. That I cannot understand. I wonder if those guys really listened to the score.

Anyway, I regret using the word "geek", so I've changed my posting above so that it's more accurate biggrin

mc
  7. moviescore wrote
    King Rao wrote

Good point... I guess I just have very strong feelings for this release in particular - of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I believe Jack Brooks is one of my best albums, and absolutely one of the most exciting and enjoyable scores this year. It should win a whole bunch of awards everywhere, in my opinion. It has everything I miss in the majority of today's scores, but on the contrary people seem to think that it has exactly the same problems as other scores do today. That I cannot understand. I wonder if those guys really listened to the score.

Anyway, I regret using the word "geek", so I've changed my posting above so that it's more accurate biggrin

mc

oh I listened to the score Mikael wink
    But just once, I always need several tries. It sure has potential and it surely has got some great stuff

But it's cool you're biased for your work, I should too considering you give us these wonderful musical treats
  8. Yes, I can perfectly understand the bias - the label was created out of passion rather than out of business ideas, so yeah, it's warranted, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2008
    Overall I like the score Mikael as I can hear a special talent in Ryan Shore. However, I can't hear a lot of the golden age in this score. If you could point out where the Salter influence/tribute is I'll listen again.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Overall I like the score Mikael as I can hear a special talent in Ryan Shore. However, I can't hear a lot of the golden age in this score. If you could point out where the Salter influence/tribute is I'll listen again.

The Salter (old-school) influence is heard particularly in the brass, and the way it is combined with unison strings. I think that the opening of the album (the first bars of "Battle with the Cyclops") is a tribute to that kind of 50s monster movie scoring, for instance.

Cheers,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2008
    On a second listen I can hear what you're saying.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    Also the way he doubles brass sometimes with trilling strings, often mid-register, feels wonderfuly old-school!

lick

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There will be a review from me next week. I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HAH! I recognized the Salter effects before even reading about 'em here!
    (Damn, and I was so poised to make that very point as a Huge Discovery. sad )
    Surely then it's no coincidence: it's a proper homage which, coupled with the impressive percussive cues, makes for an adrenalin-filled listen.

Again,a s with so many scores these days, a proper, recognizable, whistlable theme would have been nice, but I enjoy Shore's take/pastiche on 40s/50s monster music, coupled with some very 2000 sound design, a lot!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved that score too.
  9. sdtom wrote
    There will be a review from me next week. I like it.

ah cool I have one too, perhaps this is the first time maintitles can give a double impression of a sole soundtrack (will happen more in the future too lads) cheesy