• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    Well it was pretty obvious it would happen one day, if i am not mistaken Tarantino used Morricone source music in his movies several times and he's also a huge morricone fan.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yeah. And he can't use like everything in a war drama! He needs to change his method, so Morricone would be the most obvious choice indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008 edited
    Happy b-day Ennio! From me and Jane. We both adore you! kiss

Great news about the Quentin movie! I wouldn't be surprised though if we'll see a change of plans at some point, so I'll wait a few months before I'll let myself be really excited about it.

I think when Morricone worked with Oliver Stone he didn't even want to travel to the US. So being a big director doesn't make much of a difference, Ennio will do it his way. As far as I'm aware, Tarantino hasn't worked with score composers before, and Tarantino is probably in love with the 60s-70s Morricone primarily, and will have very specific demands and expectations, so things can easily turn sour.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thanks Peter, I think I'll be getting it.

Great! But be prepared for the suspense. It's not completely unlistenable, as Morricone suspense sometimes can be, but it's still a rough listen at times. Some of it sounds like it's from "The thing" and one track curiously sounds like it's taken out of "Marco Polo".

Strangely I had this CD (the old release, that is) on my shelf for years without really listening to it. Somehow the greatness of the main theme didn't get to me on first listen, and all the suspense just made me throw it back on the shelf.

What a doofus I was! I love this album now. The main theme ranks up there besides some of his most legendary gems, and the "Bobsled run" is just so über cool, catchy and hilarious.

Feel free to tell us your impression of it when you have it. I might get the new release too, as the one I have doesn't have the best sound quality. Intrada usually does quality stuff, so I'm hopeful.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Seriously? Wow!

That's what they're saying over at FSM. Hey, it sounds like a dream come true!

Yowzah! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well it was pretty obvious it would happen one day, if i am not mistaken Tarantino used Morricone source music in his movies several times and he's also a huge morricone fan.

True!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Great! But be prepared for the suspense. It's not completely unlistenable, as Morricone suspense sometimes can be, but it's still a rough listen at times. Some of it sounds like it's from "The thing" and one track curiously sounds like it's taken out of "Marco Polo".

Strangely I had this CD (the old release, that is) on my shelf for years without really listening to it. Somehow the greatness of the main theme didn't get to me on first listen, and all the suspense just made me throw it back on the shelf.

What a doofus I was! I love this album now. The main theme ranks up there besides some of his most legendary gems, and the "Bobsled run" is just so über cool, catchy and hilarious.

Feel free to tell us your impression of it when you have it. I might get the new release too, as the one I have doesn't have the best sound quality. Intrada usually does quality stuff, so I'm hopeful.

Peter smile

I like a lot of Morricone's suspence music and love The Thing.

I'll let you know what I think. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    That's great news about the Tarantino project! Some folks at FSM also point out to Morricone considering a DePalma film (Capone Rising?). I hope it works out.
    But for now I'm just going to be cautiously optimistic (for the same reasons that Peter has mentioned). Go Ennio, go!

plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Peter smile

Thanks for the quick summary. The cd arrived a few days back but I'm yet to listen to it. I just haven't been in the mood to listen to scores for quite some time now. Atleast it looks like this purchase will be something I will like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    Have you seen this Peter...

http://www.soundtrackcorner.de/EnnioMor … p3053/.htm

15 CD box seems a bit small ( understatement of the centuries ) to be complete!? dizzy biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Happy birthday maestro! You're the greatest...

I'm looking forward to the Morricone reviews you said will be coming in the next few weeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

I have seen it, and I hate it! angry

It's painful as I have 99% of the music already, and to see 3 or 4 inedits that I crave is just plain torture. I don't want to pay all that money for 3-4 tracks dammits!

Peter wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have seen it, and I hate it! angry

It's painful as I have 99% of the music already, and to see 3 or 4 inedits that I crave is just plain torture. I don't want to pay all that money for 3-4 tracks dammits!

Peter wink

I feel your pain.

Personally this may be out of my reach for the moment, there's tons that I don't have but I just can't afford it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited
    Just got the Japanese release of La resa dei conti (The Big Gundown) the other day. Wow, how many more ultra-fun spaghetti western are there for me to discover in this great expanse of Morricone scores? The past two years has seen me discover Il mercenario, ...e per tetto un ciello de stelle and Vamos a matar companeros, and now this one. I am ever SO glad to know that he's done work just as fun as his famous Sergio Leone score, if not quite as famous.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Just got the Japanese release of La resa dei conti (The Big Gundown) the other day. Wow, how many more ultra-fun spaghetti western are there for me to discover in this great expanse of Morricone scores? The past two years has seen me discover Il mercenario, ...e per tetto un ciello de stelle and Vamos a matar companeros, and now this one. I am ever SO glad to know that he's done work just as fun as his famous Sergio Leone score, if not quite as famous.

I love LOVE The Big Gundown, what an amazing and varied score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    And that song? Wow! What a strong voice is needed to belt out these lines!!! So strong in fact that it pushes the V.U. needles all the way past 11. I can only wish for a better recording where the loud vocal is normalized a little better.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. Some more information about Inglorious Bastards from Variety:

Will Ennio Morricone score "Bastards"?

The Italian composer says he has accepted Quentin Tarantino's offer to write the music for "Inglorious Bastards" -- but may not be able to cover all the needed material, given the pic's time constraints.

"Tarantino will finish shooting the film in February and has to deliver it by the end of April in time for Cannes," says the famously meticulous maestro from his Rome home. "That doesn't leave me enough time to do the music. Either I start working on it before he stops shooting -- after we discuss it together -- or I just can't do it."

Tarantino, who has been in Germany shooting the WWII pic toplining Brad Pitt as a Tennessee hillbilly who takes on the Nazis, is known to be a massive Morricone fan.

But while he has used several Morricone Spaghetti Western themes for "Kill Bill" and "Death Proof," having the composer do all of the music for "Bastards" would mark his first full original score on a Tarantino film.

Still, says Morricone, "I might end up just writing a couple of tracks."

Considering Morricone refused to contribute even a few minutes of original music for "Pulp Fiction," the composer has certainly changed his tune

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 5&cs=1
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    Can't wait!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Can't wait!

Me too!

Let's hope he gets to score it!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    I don't know if it's true; I found it at the forum of www.enniomorricone.it. The news is from Friday. I quote it:

"Morricone told a few minutes ago that he won't be able to do INGLORIOUS BASTERDS for Tarantino, given the fact the movie has to be ready for the Film Festival in Cannes (April) and shooting will end in February.
    He doesn't want to work under time pressure, and the final mixing of Tornatore's BAARIA will be completed in that period, one of the other reasons he mentioned." slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008 edited
    keky wrote
    "Morricone told a few minutes ago that he won't be able to do INGLORIOUS BASTERDS for Tarantino, given the fact the movie has to be ready for the Film Festival in Cannes (April) and shooting will end in February.
    He doesn't want to work under time pressure, and the final mixing of Tornatore's BAARIA will be completed in that period, one of the other reasons he mentioned." slant

Oh no! sad
    Well, given his hectic schedule it was quite likely that this would happen. Atleast we will have a Tornatore-Morricone next year. I think someone in chimai.com was saying that Morricone's score for Baaria was very unlike his usual stuff and had them disappointed. Any idea about it?

BTW has anyone seen La Sconosciuta? Netflix doesn't have it sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2008
    La Sconosciuta was among my favourite movies last year. It is shocking, brutal and at the same time very emotional. One of Tornatore's bests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    Two new scores coming from the Maestro in December:

Pane e liberta (RAI Trade)
    Resolution 819 (RTI)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hooray! Any idea what the films (or more likely, tv shows I guess) are about?
  3. I think Resolution 819 is about the war in the former Yugoslavia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Resolution 819 is about the Srebrenica massacre during the war in Bosnia. I guess we will hear lots of dissonant writing in this!
    Pane e liberta is about Giuseppe Di Vittorio, a famous Italian trade union leader.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Probably not many swoony themes in those then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Who knows, he composed very beautiful melodies for both Fateless and Il cuore nel pozzo even though both films dealt with difficult subject matters. Anyway, looking forward your reviews of the new CDs, James!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Good point keky. I'll add "Perlasca", "Senso 45", "72 meters" & "Cefalonia" to the list of surprisingly good, thematically rich scores, where one would expect the opposite, given a tragedy-ridden, war related story line.

I just love the post-2000 Morricone. kiss

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    What about Chi l'ha vista morire? Isn't that film about child abduction or torture? And yet it's replete with gorgeous ecclesiastic children's choirs not unlike Bruno Coulais' Les Choristes. It's a truly great Morricone score and a good example of this "mismatched visuals/music" effective style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008 edited
    He's back! shocked biggrin

PANE E LIBERTA' (BREAD AND FREEDOM)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6006/.f

Label: Rai Trade FRT 430
    Date: 2008
    Tracks: 19
    Time = 60:11

CD from Italy

Original soundtrack from 2008 TV wartime movie set between WWI and 1956, directed by Alberto Negrin (IL SEGRETO DEL SAHARA, PERLASCA, L’ULTIMO DEI CORLEONESI), starring Pierfrancesco Favino. Ennio Morricone creates richly melodic score with emphasis on saddened nostalgia. Virtually every track offers warm melody, often with minor-key melancholy. Morricone tacets brass, relies on strings, woodwinds, keyboards plus lonely sound of solo accordion within orchestra. Only once (during "Dissenso") does composer stray from beauty towards suspense via throbbing piano, low strings and dramatic motif above. Haunting, beautiful score! Ennio Morricone composes, orchestrates, conducts Roma Sinfonietta and delivers a knockout!

Peter, James,
    Do you have this already?