• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011
    It's strange, plindboe, because you seem to share my view of Morricone (he's very on/off, can't take the dissonance stuff, but adore the lovely melodies etc.) - yet you seem to be a hardcore collector nonetheless. Doesn't that mean that you have lots and lots of soundtracks that are either partially or fully unlistenable?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Having CDs that are either partially or completely unlistenable is something I would imagine is something most of experience. A legacy of having to buy CDs in order to own the tracks we want.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just ordered Secret of The Sahara really cheaply from SAE who were having a sale on Italian scores. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Having CDs that are either partially or completely unlistenable is something I would imagine is something most of experience. A legacy of having to buy CDs in order to own the tracks we want.

Maybe. Then again, "buying CD's for tracks I want" has never really been my approach. I'm only in it for the whole concept album feel, and if there happens to be one or two highlight tracks there, well then great!

On the other hand, being a completist of certain composers makes you buy stuff that you normally wouldn't. Slowly, but certainly, even this "collector mindset" is slowly breaking down with me. Not too far off in the future, I'll probably be selling off the Williams & Elfman CD's I don't particularly care for. But first I need to get rid of a whole bunch of other stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Just ordered Secret of The Sahara really cheaply from SAE who were having a sale on Italian scores. smile

A wise choice, it's FOOKUN BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    It's strange, plindboe, because you seem to share my view of Morricone (he's very on/off, can't take the dissonance stuff, but adore the lovely melodies etc.) - yet you seem to be a hardcore collector nonetheless.

Hehe, I guess it's because the stuff I like I really really like, so that's how I can be such a Morricone nut and at the same time recognize that there's tons of unlistenable music.

Thor wrote
    Doesn't that mean that you have lots and lots of soundtracks that are either partially or fully unlistenable?

The good thing with Morricone is that he almost never makes anything fully unlistenable. Even in the worst examples, like his giallo scores, there's always some amazing gem placed somewhere in the midst of all the noise.

There are many partially unlistenable albums though. Luckily I'm not the type who always plays entire CDs. I've rated my music in itunes and usually when I want to hear an album I just play the tracks that have been rated at least 3 stars. This way I hardly ever listen to the unlistenable stuff, so unlike many other film score fans it doesn't end up bothering me much.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote

Hope to hear your opinion about it in a near future.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Il Segreto del Sahara is my favorite Morricone score. The expanded release contains great extra music. Especially Edda's take on 'Secret of the sahara' is gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    it is absolutely gorgeous
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It took forever for Secret of the Sahara to get to me. Most of it is rather slow and it can take a lot of listens before the melodies start to really get under your skin. But when they do it's a great experience to listen to.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i think it is the case with all the fans of this score. Slow and demanding but ultimately rewarding
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Strange, I felt completely overwhelmed after listening to it for the first time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joep wrote
    Strange, I felt completely overwhelmed after listening to it for the first time.

You n' me both Joep, this was an instant hit with me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I remember initially getting the obvious Gladiator lifts from this score but not so much the rest, with repeated listens its truly grace revealed itself instantly though. I am glad you guys got it from the first spin smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe it depends on what kind of music you're used to or familiar with? I dunno? Just thinking aloud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I first started getting it after acquiring a compilation CD ("Love themes") with the lovely "Miriam and Philip" on it. It had never dawned on me before what a lovely theme that was, even though I'd owned "The secret..." for years at that point. It didn't take long before the two noble but awesome "dedication" cues blew me away. After learning about the Gladiator rip-off/hommage, I also started getting more into "Kerim". Then the awesomeness of "The mountain" suddenly kicked my ass.

It's been a long journey, this CD being one of my earliest Morricone purchases, but I finally enjoy the entire album and I rate it a ***** without hesitation.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Maybe it depends on what kind of music you're used to or familiar with? I dunno? Just thinking aloud.

Well, usually it's this kind exactly, slow moving, dramatic, dark, melodic, but with this score it didn't grab me from the beginning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We're all different wink

I agree with Peter too, a *****star score for me.
  2. plindboe wrote
    Perhaps a mstake on Palma's part not to reject such an unconventional score, but I give him full kudos for being daring enough to keep it in.

Peter smile

My understanding is he did reject a score, so not so fast... (Sakamoto).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh crapola. I discovered that there are literally dozens of Morricone scores on iTunes which I don't have. Crapola crapola. For whatever reason, buying things there seems to come so much more easily than buying physical albums (and knowing I'll have to wait weeks to receive them) - especially when drunk (which I am not now, but no doubt will be at some point in the coming times).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    E PER TETTO UN CIELO DI STELLE (*****)
    This is one of Morricone's top western scores. A very catchy main theme that's either whistled or played on banjo. A wonderful and very catchy action theme. And the laid-back "Harry's ranch" theme which is sublimely beautiful and nostalgic. There are some pretty entertaining standalone tunes as well.

Thank you! This came today and I love it. Seems to be an unusual album - 15 minutes of score, then some music from other films, then 22 tracks from this (which aren't given names in the album booklet but for which track titles did appear when I stuck the disc in my computer)? What's going on there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ...and it's mastered from vinyl? (And SAE charged me almost $40 it!?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad you like it. I knew you would though as it's a great score. smile

I have the Hexacord release, and I'm not sure exactly how the Avanz release differs, though it sounds rather odd. I just hope you have "Harry's ranch". Looking at the Avanz tracklist I can't really find it.

Holy crap, 40 bucks is alot though! Was SAE the only place you could find it? I'm surprised it has gotten so expensive already.

About the sound quality this score deserves a better sounding release. We'll probably never get it, so the CD releases are the best we've got. Personally I enjoy it immensely even though it isn't perfect in sound quality. Perhaps I just have lousy enough speakers not to notice it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Holy crap, 40 bucks is alot though! Was SAE the only place you could find it? I'm surprised it has gotten so expensive already.

There was a German site I found that had it, for a reasonable price too rather than the SAE rip-off (how they can justify that is beyond me). I added it - and a LOAD of other stuff - to my cart, came to pay... and they don't take credit cards. They need you to transfer money into their bank account directly. Bizarre (and not something I'm doing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    Nice review, James. Can't wait to hear it.

So when will you review E per tetto un cielo di stelle? wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Some day! I don't really have the space for older titles given how much new stuff there is to review, though maybe I should abandon that self-imposed rule and do things anyway (I'd love to feature a lot more Morricone reviews). I shall consult with the other staff members.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, I'd love to see reviews of older Morricone scores. Of course they'll no doubt get fewer viewings than the latest blockbusters.

But sometimes there are new Morricone releases of old scores that really deserve some attention. For instance I'm very curious about the new release of Il pianeta d'acqua, an ocean documentary scored by Morricone in 1981. I only have the old 5-track LP release, which contains some really extraordinary pieces.

Hope you can speak some sense into the other staff members. wink Convince them that page views shouldn't be the only goal, but also that "spreading the good word" is a valuable goal in itself.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Peter... are you familiar with this one?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7 … category=7

Any good?

I have the 5 track LP version and I'm very curious about this 14-track release. One track called "Ouverture del mattino" is a great, baroque sounding track but it's from a previous score (Cuore di mamma). Concerning the other four tracks I recently wrote this on the EM discussion forum:

Considering the few wonderful tracks we have so far this score could be a masterpiece. It depends on what the rest sounds like of course. But given that it's a nature documentary (these tend to have beautiful scores) and that there are five episodes, there might be alot of wonderful music that we're missing.

Ignoring "Ouverture del mattino", there are four tracks. "Acqua viva" sounds like the perfect piece for a water-documentary. Very hypnotic and pleasant to listen to. "Acqua materne e d'amore" is an extraordinary love theme, the type only Morricone can create. "Pianeta d'acqua" is a very warm and beautiful piece, another excellent theme. "Violentemente verso il mare" is very different from the three other tracks. It's a long scary build up though it never really explodes into the mayhem such a build up would suggest.

In any case, with three such lovely tracks a proper release is bound to have alot to offer.

Even if the rest of the album just consists of variations of the three wonderful themes, it's bound to be a good release. If there are more themes though, which I consider very probable, it could very well be an undiscovered masterpiece. Even hard-core morriconians don't seem to know much about the new music we're getting.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    I'm not usually into vocal stuff, but the Hayley Westenra CD looks interesting. Here's a promotional video:

http://www.hayley-westenra-internationa … e-paradiso

The "La califfa" cover version sounds gorgeous. Better than any other cover versions I've heard of this extraordinary theme.

Her voice is probably a bit too angelic for my taste, but she seems like one of the best vocalists that Morricone has ever worked with.

Peter smile