• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    Lukas Kendall has announced that FSM is giving Days of Heaven the deluxe treatment. I find this news to be outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011 edited
    Cool Morricone song/theme.

I guess Austin Powers' makers got their inspiration form this movie.

"Deep, Deep Down... deep deep down.. "

Nice Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY6PV5Me … re=related

Slightly different Italian version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAv5Ip9v … re=related
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Lukas Kendall has announced that FSM is giving Days of Heaven the deluxe treatment. I find this news to be outstanding.

This might be the most surprising and greatest news in history! I've always been told that there wasn't more music available for this extraordinary score and now FSM announces that they will release 2 CDs, the second disc will be full of additional and alternate cues that didn't make it into the movie! Holy crap!

Peter fireworksbouncefireworks
  1. The quote from Lukas:

It is, in fact, Days of Heaven, and there was tons and tons of music recorded that was not used. We have the album, the cues as heard in the film itself, and a whole second disc of additional and alternate cues. If anyone does not consider this one of the most beautiful scores ever written, all I can say is you have my pity...

We have everything newly remastered from the film mixes, it's gorgeous".

Lukas Kendall
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Jesus on a bat-pole shocked cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011
    Premiere release of Morricone's score for Windows (only film directed by Gordon Willis)...

http://www.quartetrecords.com/index.php … p;vmcchk=1
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011 edited
    Windows has been hoped for by morriconians for over 30 years. Alot of people must have wetted themselves when they heard this news. Personally I'm excited about getting a never before released Morricone, but never having seen the movie I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I am about Days of Heaven. I'm definitely getting it though and judging from the sound samples it's a varied score with great promises.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    I see there's a premiere release of Morricone's 1978 Invito Allo Sport - and that 12 of the 13 tracks are called "Invito Allo Sport" and have fairly similar running times. Are they really all different versions of the same piece of music? Anyone know? (And, to be clear, "anyone" in practical terms means "Peter.")
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I see there's a premiere release of Morricone's 1978 Invito Allo Sport - and that 12 of the 13 tracks are called "Invito Allo Sport" and have fairly similar running times. Are they really all different versions of the same piece of music? Anyone know? (And, to be clear, "anyone" in practical terms means "Peter.")

"Invitation to Sports", is that what it means? is it a score? A concert work? an "event" piece?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Seems to be music for a tv documentary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh.

By the way, playing his rejected WHAT DREAMS MAY COME now. Beautiful score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very beautiful. Would love a release of that with decent sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    Southall wrote

Well, I have the old release which consist of a mere 4 tracks. Still, each track is a different theme and each of them is quite good, so I've often wished for an expanded release. Each track is kinda cheesy, in the "Il vizietto"/"Il gatto" vein. The four tracks are:

1.E finalmente
    2.Staffetta per due
    3.Esercizi d'amore
    4.Forte fortissimo

The first track is my least favourite, but it's not bad at all. The second track is much more catchy. The third one is less cheesy and has a unique sound and I adore it. The fourth track is a fun, catchy piece with a choir singing "la la la la la la". You can listen to tracks 1 & 4 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvhF0Etu7s

The new release has this tracklist:

01. Invito allo sport (3:18) (= Esercizi d'amore)
    02. Invito allo sport (vers. 2) (3:36) (= Staffetta per due)
    03. Invito allo sport (vers. 3) (3:44) (= E finalmente)
    04. Invito allo sport (vers. 4) (4:48) (= Forte, fortissimo)
    05. Invito allo sport (vers. 5) (3:52)
    06. La sera, la notte, il giorno (4:09) (from LA CUGGINA, but not present on the SCREEN TRAX edition)
    07. Invito allo sport (vers. 6) (3:37) (= Staffetta per due (#2) )
    08. Invito allo sport (vers. 7) (3:41) (= E finalmente (#2) )
    09. Invito allo sport (vers. 8) (3:21) (= Esercizi d'amore (#2) )
    10. Invito allo sport (vers. 9) (4:45) (= Forte, fortissimo (#2) )
    11. Invito allo sport (vers. 10) (3:22) (= Invito allo sport (vers.5) (#2) )
    12. Invito allo sport (vers. 11) (3:21) (= Esercizi d'amore (#3) )
    13. Invito allo sport (vers. 12) (3:22) (= Invito allo sport (vers.5) (#3) )

Judging from the track titles it looks like variations of the 4 themes already released (combined with the excellent theme from "La cuggina"; and track 5 might be the great theme from "Forza italia", as I believe it appeared in the series and fits the track time, but that's just a guess and could be wrong). Still, if you don't have any previous release, and you like Morricone's cheesy sound, I'm sure this will be an interesting album.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    By the way, playing his rejected WHAT DREAMS MAY COME now. Beautiful score.

Yep, I love it! This is right up there with The mission, Cinema paradiso and The legend of 1900; it really is that great.

I think it would have earned Morricone alot of new fans had it been used. Music like this deserves to be used, released on CD and Oscar nominated. Rejecting it seems absurd considering the beauty of the music.

In any case, Kamen provided some nice music we would never have heard if Morricone's score hadn't been rejected, so it's not an entire loss.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=474
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I greatly look forward to it but am a bit confused by the presentation. The original album, then the score in the film - but what's the stuff on the second disc? Is that meant to be the "best" presentation of all the material? Where is "Harvest" on it, for example?
  2. I think Harvest will probably be appearing 3-4 times, at that rate! wink

Seriously though, I'm very much looking forward to this. It's such a small score whenever I've heard it -- 25 minutes or so. Will be interesting to see the additional variations on the themes lift the score to another level or just pad it out a bit more.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sounds heavenly. Must get this release.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a must have for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    Southall wrote
    I greatly look forward to it but am a bit confused by the presentation. The original album, then the score in the film - but what's the stuff on the second disc? Is that meant to be the "best" presentation of all the material? Where is "Harvest" on it, for example?

I can imagine the second disc comprises the recording sessions. Malick is known for using not nearly all the score composed for the film, but instead using source cues or classical music (as with Saint-Saens in this case). So disc 1 includes the album presentation with the used cues not by Moricone as well as the music used in the film. In other words, Malick's version for his film. The second disc contains all the music as recorded originally for the film. So the way Moricone intended it.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

That's just awesome news!
  3. In a belated celebration of Morricone's birthday the other day I did a "Ten Tracks Today" over at my blog:

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2011/11/ … mber-2011/

Some well known titles and some not so well known!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011 edited
    Great tracks, Alan! I enjoyed reading your comments on each of them. I know them all well of course, which makes it all the more fun to read. Btw, concerning Metti, una sera a cena, I never like the live versions much. The original is always my choice. I don't feel they work well live, as it ends up sounding too cheap and poppish. Of course the original track is pop too, but it's such a fantastic piece and performance by Edda Dell'Orso that you can't help but love it.

And a belated happy b-day to Maestro Morricone. I expect the guy to live to be 120, and be a film score composer for 20 more years.

fireworksbirthdayfireworks

Peter smile
  4. Thanks Peter for the interest. I need to see if I have an original version of the live track. I am sure I must have it somewhere.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    This is the original one. I'm sure it can still be regarded as being cheesy, but it's still so bloody catchy and awesome that I don't care.

Peter smile
  5. If it is catchy enough it can rise above the cheese!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, this is way beyond any kind of dairy product.

The new Haley Westenra collaboration album with Ennio (Paradiso) also have a cover version of this piece btw. It's surprisingly good.

Peter punk
  6. I love the arrangement of 'Malena' on Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone, actually I love every piece on this sublime album but in the last few days I can't stop listening to this track in particular. I've never heard the original score, is the album worth picking up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011 edited
    It's a great album, JC. It has three main, fantastic themes. A kinda circussy, comedic theme, but that is really not as bad as it might sound from the description. It's a fab theme. Then there's the Visioni theme, an athmospheric pan-flute dominated theme. And then the exquisite theme for Malena, heard best in the end titles, and I personally prefer this way above the Yo-Yo Ma version. There are various great standalone pieces. One piece I've fallen completely for is actually not a Morricone composition, though it's arranged by him, and it's the extraordinary Ma l'amore no!

Peter smile