• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. According to Morricone's site, he has multiple concerts coming up soon:
    http://www.enniomorricone.it/uk/news.php

All in Italy. The first one on the 8th, just passed, the next is the 15th.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Southall wrote
    That's a really lovely piece.

(And really - some of you guys should explore the work of Ennio Morricone, where you'll find twelve trillion pieces in that style and of equal or higher quality - which is not to disparage this wonderful-sounding new work in any way - just saying...)

I really WANT to like Ennio Morricone, but outside of a few isolated pieces of music I can't seem to FIND much that's lovely. I occasionally will buy another one that people have talked about, but don't find much in it to enjoy. The two exceptions here are THE MISSION, which is loaded with gorgeous themes, and the fantastic Yo Yo Ma compilation. I think that one of my problems with his music is that it sounds old to me. I don't know how else to describe it. CINEMA PARADISO has some themes I like, though it sounds old. I like the love theme from DAYS OF HEAVEN, but not the rest of it. I bought LA CALIFFA and it just sounds old. I didn't like that at all. And I really disliked MISSION TO MARS. A couple good tracks at the end, but it's really awful up until then. So much of the rest of his music that I've tried is just weird. Am I hopeless? Do I just not "get" his music?

I listen to McKenzie or Rombi and I hear instant beauty, but I just haven't found that with Morricone. So what can buy of his that's really lovely? Am I best off buying individual tracks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012
    Morricone has always been off/on to me. When he's on, he's REALLY on. Few can write more gobsmackingly beautiful themes than him. But when he's off -- like in most of his dissonant work -- I twitch in agony. He also has the tendency to suddenly 'break up' a beautiful theme with some offbeat effect (a rhythm, a sour note, a weird vocal track, whatever), which can often be frustrating, but it's part of who he is.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    But when he's off -- like in most of his dissonant work -- I twitch in agony.

Anyone who wishes to conquer Norway should take note of this unique physiological response. Then stock up on Morricone concert works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012
    christopher wrote
    Southall wrote
    That's a really lovely piece.

(And really - some of you guys should explore the work of Ennio Morricone, where you'll find twelve trillion pieces in that style and of equal or higher quality - which is not to disparage this wonderful-sounding new work in any way - just saying...)

I really WANT to like Ennio Morricone, but outside of a few isolated pieces of music I can't seem to FIND much that's lovely. I occasionally will buy another one that people have talked about, but don't find much in it to enjoy. The two exceptions here are THE MISSION, which is loaded with gorgeous themes, and the fantastic Yo Yo Ma compilation. I think that one of my problems with his music is that it sounds old to me. I don't know how else to describe it. CINEMA PARADISO has some themes I like, though it sounds old. I like the love theme from DAYS OF HEAVEN, but not the rest of it. I bought LA CALIFFA and it just sounds old. I didn't like that at all. And I really disliked MISSION TO MARS. A couple good tracks at the end, but it's really awful up until then. So much of the rest of his music that I've tried is just weird. Am I hopeless? Do I just not "get" his music?

I listen to McKenzie or Rombi and I hear instant beauty, but I just haven't found that with Morricone. So what can buy of his that's really lovely? Am I best off buying individual tracks?

Have you heard Adrian Johnston ? If no, do it now smile

From Moriconne:

MALENA
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
    BAARIA
    Karol, un uomo diventato Papa
    72 metra
    the secret of the Sahara
    Marco Polo

are must-haves if you like Velasquez. More on this style by the moriconne experts!

Also what about you and Delerue?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very good composers but I wouldn't dream of putting Rombi or McKenzie anywhere near the genius of Morricone. Still, we're all made different and I'm a massive classical fan and ain't that keen on Mister Mozart so go figure. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't see how Rombi isn't at the same level as Morricone. He just doesn't have the same massive reputation and Pacific-Ocean-wide body of work. McKenzie on the other hand often uses very simplistic orchestrations and tends to repeat the same ideas in an almost (not quite) Horner-ish way.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Demetris wrote
    Have you heard Adrian Johnston ? If no, do it now smile

I've heard becoming Jane, which has some very nice music in it. Others I should look into?

Demetris wrote
    From Moriconne:

MALENA
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
    BAARIA
    Karol, un uomo diventato Papa
    72 metra
    the secret of the Sahara
    Marco Polo

are must-haves if you like Velasquez. More on this style by the moriconne experts!

Also what about you and Delerue?

It's rare that I find an entire score by the man that I love (though it has happened!). He seems to write a lot of scores with one outrageously wonderful theme and a lot of other music that I find much less enjoyable. So when he opens up and unleashes one of his gorgeous themes I think there was never anyone greater at writing beautiful music. And it seems so effortless on his part! Anyway, I have massive respect for Delerue and love a great many things he has written.

Timmer wrote
    Very good composers but I wouldn't dream of putting Rombi or McKenzie anywhere near the genius of Morricone. Still, we're all made different and I'm a massive classical fan and ain't that keen on Mister Mozart so go figure. wink

Oh I wouldn't say they're anywhere near Morricone's level of genius. I think Morricone is absolutely brilliant, and more original than any other composer working. The difference is that I don't appreciate difficult music. And Rombi and McKenzie write music that is easy to love.

Scribe wrote
    McKenzie on the other hand often uses very simplistic orchestrations and tends to repeat the same ideas in an almost (not quite) Horner-ish way.

That's it. You and me. Parking lot. After school.

Okay, yeah, when he composes, his orchestrations are typically similar - but I LOVE that lush lush sound he creates. Sometimes it's simple, sure, but that's an over-generalization. Don't sell the man short. He's one of the best orchestrators in the business. He orchestrated ROBOTS (don't tell me that's simple), SPIDERMAN I and II, MR. AND MRS. SMITH, VAN HELSING, STAR TREK: NEMESIS, STAR TREK VI, and DANCES WITH WOLVES to name only a few with varied orchestrations. Just because he chooses to score films with music more in the DANCES WITH WOLVES domain doesn't mean his orchestrations aren't perfect. Because they are. So there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ok, I'm wrong then. I had no idea he was an orchestrator or orchestrated any of those films. I just observe that in many of his scores for low-budget films (The Last Sin Eater and El Gran Milagro most obviously) there tend to be awkward moments where it seems like he/someone couldn't figure out how to get all the instruments to start playing their parts in a way that seems fluid and natural. It just doesn't seem to flow right sometimes. Maybe that's a conducting thing more than an orchestration thing. I don't really know what I'm talking about smile
  6. You're fine smile I'm a total McKenzie fanboy, and can't take anyone saying anything about him that isn't glowingly positive. Fact is, you're write about most of the scores that he writes being fairly simply orchestrated. Now there are exceptions, mind you, but I know what you mean.

As for those awkward moments you mention, I must say I don't know what you mean. Could you provide examples? And are you familiar with any of his other scores?
  7. finally made the reservations for the Ennio concert, my mother and I will be attending
    seems we're not far off where Elin, Marcel and Martijn will be sitting smile

see you there, or sooner at the WSA punk

Type Blok: 132
    Row: 38
    Seat: 3 & 4
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    As for those awkward moments you mention, I must say I don't know what you mean. Could you provide examples? And are you familiar with any of his other scores?

Sorry, I missed this question. I tried to find examples of what I was talking about, but I'm not hearing it anymore. I think my sonic distress might have been more due to the fact that on those two scores there's an unusual amount of separation and clarity between the various orchestral sections and when you're first getting to know the score it can be rather jarring when a new section comes in because its so clear and bold compared to the more subtle recording choices that are used in the majority of modern scores. For example, "Go in Peace at 1:00 when the horns (I think) come in, I think it seemed awkward to me at first because its so sudden. But now that I'm expecting that part, it doesn't feel awkward anymore.

And yes, in addition to Last Sin Eater and El Gran Milagro I have Blizzard, Dragonheart, Saving Sarah Cain, The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca and The Lost Child.
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    finally made the reservations for the Ennio concert, my mother and I will be attending

Yeeeha...

Me like. punk

See you there (and before of course)...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2012
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    finally made the reservations for the Ennio concert, my mother and I will be attending

Yeeeha...

Me like. punk

See you there (and before of course)...

Elin

Me like as well.

See you soon! beer
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  9. A Morricone first: scoring a CGI-animated film.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/10/24 … lle-ghost/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2012
    Hello everybody!
    New here although with some 25 years of soundtrack collecting on my shoulders

I will be attending the Morricone concert in Antwerp in December

Block 129
    Row 34
    Seats 7-8
  10. Dennis wrote
    Hello everybody!
    New here although with some 25 years of soundtrack collecting on my shoulders

I will be attending the Morricone concert in Antwerp in December

Block 129
    Row 34
    Seats 7-8

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to this forum.
    You'll have the chance to not only meet a big group of the Belgian delegation of Maintitles (and some non-Belgian members as well) but for some of them also their extended families.

We'll have a blast.

Me and my 'posse' tongue will be seated in blocks 131 and 132, rows 33 and 34 (we have 12 seats scattered around there).

I'm sure when the time gets nearer some of us will start organising something so we'll have a chance to meet up either before or after the concert.

See you there,

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  11. When is the Morricone concert in Antwerp?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2012 edited
    Saturday 22 December.

Here's more info:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … e/#Item_12
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2012
    Just booked the tickets for me and my friend HW. You guys up for beers afterwards? :-) I had to miss in Ghent because of the flu. I have some catching up to do.

Block 115
    Row 28
    Seat 5 and 6
    • CommentAuthorDennis
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
    Although I would like to meet you guys I am not sure I will have much time.
    I am a family man and me and my wife need to catch the train to Brussels after the concert
    We can meet in the entrance and take some pictures if you want
  12. I'm sure there will be time to catch up before or after the concert, we'll figure something out
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  13. It is not official yet, but our Pacific Gathering will be cancelled, this means I have also cancelled my Around The World In 30 Days trip I was planning from Dec 22nd until Jan 20th.

This means I can go to this event. I booked ticket

Block 143
    Row 28
    Seat 10
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    Ow, a pity you had to cancel the whole thing! How did that suddenly happen. :/

I'm in block 117. I'm sure we'll meet somewhere before!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SiriusCreations wrote
    It is not official yet, but our Pacific Gathering will be cancelled, this means I have also cancelled my Around The World In 30 Days trip I was planning from Dec 22nd until Jan 20th.

This means I can go to this event. I booked ticket

Block 143
    Row 28
    Seat 10

Oh, that sucks! That you have to cancel your trip, that is, not that you've ordered tickets for the Morricone concert! smile But knowing you, it won't be long untill your next SST trip anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Bregt wrote
    Ow, a pity you had to cancel the whole thing! How did that suddenly happen. :/

I'm in block 117. I'm sure we'll meet somewhere before!

We do not have a lot of active members there. So we were thinking of promoting it locally. And we do not have much time for that. My trip plan was all around the Pacific Gathering, so now I can use the financial aspects of this trip for other Festivals. Gatherings and Meetings somewhere in the world.

For Anwerp some us will stay there in a hotel. So we can meet before and maybe after the concert.

Thor wrote
    Oh, that sucks! That you have to cancel your trip, that is, not that you've ordered tickets for the Morricone concert! smile But knowing you, it won't be long untill your next SST trip anyway.

Yes there are already other SST related trip plans, no worry.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    I've made arrangements for a hostel in the centre of Antwerp and Urs will be joining me as well, so I'm definitely open for a drink afterwards beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2012 edited
    Morricone lost his balance during a concert in Florence this night. An hour ago he was discussing with his doctors if he could continue. But it appears he's fine again. What a man!

Not sure if I should be worried.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    Well, the man is in his mid 80's and still very active on concert stages and in composing music. So a slight balance problem now and then isn't too much to worry about, I think.
    I am extremely serious.