• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    I'd love to see this film again, it certainly arrested me on the one and only time I watched it (which was at the cinema, almost by myself). More than that, I would love to hear the true extent of the score. As it stands (with the 25 minutes or so which have surfaced) I rank it as one of Morricone's very finest compositions, and that is really saying something. I don't see how it could have failed to elevate that film, which is visually extraordinary anyway. Based on its box office performance, the decision to jettison the score was not a wise one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, that score getting rejected is a very weird story indeed. I doubt anyone knows what really happened?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Whoah! Morricone's WDMC is one of those scores that moves me to tears every time. It's a little too precious to me that I seldom listen to it, lest I grow tired of it.
    I hope we will get a release of it some day.
  1. Looking over more of these clips, I really think a lot of this music hasn't been matched up to the appropriate scenes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed Franz. I just saw the movie, and track 3 from the album perfectly matches the car crash. In clip 3 this music is used just after the car crash, and doesn't really work that well there. I'm sure the amazing elegy in clip 7 is misplaced as well, it doesn't add up at all. Clips 2, 6 and 9 are wrong as well. I believe the other six clips have the right music attached.

Having just seen the movie I must say that besides Kamen's catchy theme and a couple of nice moments towards the end, his music was way too anonymous, and at times too unemotional. The score during the funerals wasn't even sad!

Perhaps Morricone's was rejected because it stole the attention from the movie, and Kamen, aware of this, composed the exact opposite, a score that's hardly noticable in the movie.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    How's In The Line Of Fire? wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

Edgy. Tense.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    I was watching a 1982 film called Golden Queens Commando and the filmmakers used Ecstasy of Gold in its entirety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxAq5mbdkc8

Skip to the 3:30 point and you can see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    I was watching a 1982 film called Golden Queens Commando and the filmmakers used Ecstasy of Gold in its entirety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxAq5mbdkc8

Skip to the 3:30 point and you can see.

LOL! Skip? And miss the superb acting and quality dialogue? That clip has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Besides, they also used Morricone from 2:07-2:59; the main theme from "The working class goes to heaven". From 6:36-7:24 it's Morricone again, from "The island". From 7:24-8:09 it's from Morricone's "My name is Nobody". From 9:20-10:12 it's Morricone's "Guns for San Sebastian".

And it's not only the music which is stolen; the scene with the horses and explosions is a direct lift from a scene in "My name is nobody".

Peter spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

I really disliked that score at first. I've always found the catchy main theme pretty decent though, but for a composer as gifted for melody as Morricone, I guess it's nothing too special. Morricone is known for making amazing love themes, but I found the love theme in that score dull and it didn't do anything for me at first. But after some years of listening to it I've really come to love it. It is bona-fide Morricone, but perhaps not as instantly catchy as his love themes normally tend to be. Besides the varying and rather wonderful renditions of the two themes, there's much dense tension music, dominated by percussion (ala. The untouchables), the rest slow and scary suspense dominated by violins and often piano.

Had I rated this score when I first got it I would have given it 2 out of 5. I later upgraded it to 3. Now I'm moving towards 3½. In other words, it's a score that doesn't get to you at first, but really grows on you over time.

Here's a slow rendition of the main theme from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKICdmjXsik

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008 edited
    The whole movie uses stolen music. Ecstasy of Gold is used in several other scenes. Now that you pointed out all the other music, I'm guessing even more was used in other parts. And believe me... the movie's acting and dialogue is like that the entire time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Thanks peter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    The whole movie uses stolen music. Ecstasy of Gold is used in several other scenes. Now that you pointed out all the other music, I'm guessing even more was used in other parts. And believe me... the movie's acting and dialogue is like that the entire time...

I want to see that movie now!

Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks peter!

beer

So will you get it? Or perhaps get "Butterfly" first, that would be my advice. wink

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Panthera wrote

I want to see that movie now!

Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks peter!

beer

So will you get it? Or perhaps get "Butterfly" first, that would be my advice. wink

Peter smile

What do you rckon on Pia Zadora's vocal Peter? wink

Butterfly isa great score though cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    What do you rckon on Pia Zadora's vocal Peter? wink

Butterfly isa great score though cool

I actually like the vocals, very fitting and sensual.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Mike Patton sings Morricone:

Up until age 20 I was a huge fan of the band Faith No More with the lead singer Mike Patton. The guy has amazing vocal abilities, though he tends to go a bit over the top when performing. When I was 20 I discovered Morricone and I left behind Faith No More, Metallica and any of the other pop and rock bands I enjoyed up until then.

It was quite fun to discover then that Patton is apparently quite fond of Morricone and have performed covers on numerous occasions. The two I link to below are "Deep down" (Diabolik) and "Quello che conta" (La cuccagna). The "Deep down" performance is wonderful, even though Patton does some scary and bizarre eye movements during his performance. "Quello che conta" is better than the original for me, as I never much enjoyed Luigi Tenco's voice and felt it ruined an extraordinary composition, for me that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEC5ltd7YQs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkmOBg7xwug

Peter
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CRIPES! shocked

I was never a fan of Faith No More and nothing has changed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    CRIPES! shocked

Is it the eye thing? wink

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    CRIPES! shocked

Is it the eye thing? wink

Peter smile

> shocked < wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FAITH NO MORE's LOONEY? MORRICONE? vomit
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    I'm just discovering the genius that is Ennio Morricone. I'll need to start listening to more of his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Panthera wrote
    I'm just discovering the genius that is Ennio Morricone. I'll need to start listening to more of his music.

You can always ask advice in this thread. smile

While I might be insane when it comes to Morricone, I'm not the kind of fan who simply recommends everything.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Getting into Morricone is a joyful thing which brings so much pleasure. But beware of how expensive it can get - once you're addicted and start buying lots of things, non-essentials like food and water will quickly play second-fiddle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Getting into Morricone is a joyful thing which brings so much pleasure. But beware of how expensive it can get - once you're addicted and start buying lots of things, non-essentials like food and water will quickly play second-fiddle.

Indeed. I probably have Morricone for about 10.000 dollars on my shelves.

Peter dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed. I probably have Morricone for about 10.000 dollars on my shelves.

Peter dizzy

How many Morricone CD's do you have Peter? I'm sure you told us before but I don't remember except that it was a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I haven't counted in a while, but I guess it's close to 300 CDs.

Of course, I've plenty of downloads too, which are alot cheaper. wink

Peter smile
  2. You'll probably all think this is criminal, but I only have 3 Morricone CDs. it's kind of hard to know where to start with him. I really like the Yo Yo Ma compilation. I have Cinema Paradiso, which I enjoy. I also have Mission to Mars, which I mostly despise (call me closed-minded) other than the last couple of tracks. I love gorgeous melodic music and I know he's written a lot of that. Some of his that are on my list of things to get are The Mission, La Sconosciuta, La Califfa, the Untouchables, and Marco Polo. I don't really know if any of these are still widely available, but I assume that the first still is. Any suggestions for me as a Morricone rookie?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    christopher wrote
    You'll probably all think this is criminal, but I only have 3 Morricone CDs. it's kind of hard to know where to start with him. I really like the Yo Yo Ma compilation. I have Cinema Paradiso, which I enjoy. I also have Mission to Mars, which I mostly despise (call me closed-minded) other than the last couple of tracks. I love gorgeous melodic music and I know he's written a lot of that. Some of his that are on my list of things to get are The Mission, La Sconosciuta, La Califfa, the Untouchables, and Marco Polo. I don't really know if any of these are still widely available, but I assume that the first still is. Any suggestions for me as a Morricone rookie?

The Untouchables is an excellent score and still widely available.

As for recommendations then Peter the man to ask. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote

Certainly! So much magic in his music and SO many scores to choose from, you'll be amazed with each and every listen; i was, for one, when i was going through unexpectedly marvellous melodies like the ones featured in MARCO POLO, or 72 METRA or the scores about the POPE (several of them now, check imdb about specific titles), FATELESS (Sorstalanság ), La Luz prodigiosa, CEFALONIA, MALENA, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, THE MISSION, CINEMA PARADISO and so many more it's impossible to remember right now.

Watch out for the quirky ones though, he wrote some very obscure stuff as well (especially during his first composing periods) that i am not sure how you'll handle. Peter (plindboe) knows his Morricone stuff very good, he can guide.