• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    Southall wrote
    I vaguely remember something about him from my youth. Wasn't he the one who wrote James Bond scores when David Arnold wasn't available?

That's him!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    Of course the love theme of Nuovo Cinema Paradiso is a definite highlight of his career, but I don't think it's fair to say that, having heard just a few of Andreas's scores. I'm really want to see the Dutch/Italian film Een Vrouw van het Noorden (aka Una Donna Del Nord) to find out what he wrote for it. I've heard some very good critis concerning the music of the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Those are the only two Andrea scores I've heard, Peter. I agree with your assessment of them both. I keep an eye out at Intrada but I don't think I've seen anything else by him become available - do you know of anything?

There's "La luna fredda", "Veronika decides to die" and "Raul". I haven't listened much to "La luna fredda" yet, but from first impression it sounds exactly like his father had composed it. "Veronika decides to die" has an absolutely gorgeous main theme, but also some rather unlistenable material. "Raul", again a gorgeous main theme that might has well have been penned by his father, and the tension material sounds like his father as well. There's also a suite on the "Here on Earth" release that's pretty decent, but too short.

Andrea pretty much seems to take over from where his father is at the moment; i.e. nothing highly innovative, but still gorgeous stuff here and there. Considering his genes, and the talent that's obviously showing in "Liberty heights" and "L'inchiesta" so far, I still have hopes for him though.

Southall wrote(I also can't help but notice that new scores from Ennio have been extremely thin on the ground of late - again, unless I've just missed them, which is always a danger! - can't even remember the last one I bought, it seems so long ago.)

He had an amazing year in 2005, but since then I've seen nothing special either. But only being 3 years ago, I'm sure he still has the cabability today to create something sublime. He just needs the right project.

Peter smile

PS. Looking forward to see a "L'inchiesta" review sooner or later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I did review L'Inchiesta!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    He is the new Morricone? rolleyes I only heard Veronika Decides to Die and was pretty horrible at places, some good points in there too though.

Listen to Ennio's early years and you'll find it hard to spot the greatness as well I'm sure. His debut score, "Il federale" is awful and cartoonish, except for a decent finale cue. Andrea's "Veronika decides to die" is a masterpiece in comparion.

Peter ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ooops, you're right James. I just searched on http://www.filmmuziek.be/search.cgi and couldn't find it for some reason. Will check out the review tomorrow.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but how does that make him the next Morricone and not the dozens of other young composers who also have good debuts? Don't take me wrong here, i understand your good intentions mate but remember some of Bach's sons that were composers as well never went too far nor offered anything that was sufficiently groundbreaking and not imitations of their father's style.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    His music sounds like his father's. Frankly you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. Of course he hasn't written anything of the stature of Morricone's masterpieces, but there are promising signs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah but how does that make him the next Morricone and not the dozens of other young composers who also have good debuts? Don't take me wrong here, i understand your good intentions mate but remember some of Bach's sons that were composers as well never went too far nor offered anything that was sufficiently groundbreaking and not imitations of their father's style.

Well, I was kinda joking by calling him the new Morricone, because of his last name he literally is a Morricone. I doubt he'll ever be as great and influential as his father, but I still see alot of promise in him.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    Here's the beautiful theme from "Veronika decides to die".

Oh, btw, the unlistenable material I mentioned above is the stuff by Ei Wada, as BhelPuri pointed out. That had never occured to me before, I always figured Morricone had composed that crap, so that's a relief.

Demetris, you were probably also talking about the Ei Wada material. It's tracks 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 14. Program those, and the crappy pop song by Nangi, out, and you're left with a lovely album.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    I now, you're right. But still, i am glad you finally came around to the same point i made above with the Bach son wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    To be honest, I don't see any potential Morricone's today. Sure, there are many composers showing promise. Andrea has inherited his father's lyrical and melodic side, but not his desire to invent new sounds or the courage to provide something unique, bizarre or even unpleasant. Similarly, Desplat doesn't seem to provide anything unconventional, he provides the pleasant and expected, at least from what I've heard so far.

Peter smile

PS. James, didn't you used to have "Liberty heights" reviewed? I seem to remember you gave it 5 stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    plindboe wrote I haven't listened much to "La luna fredda" yet, but from first impression it sounds exactly like his father had composed it.

Indeed! There are those gorgeous pieces that you couldn't tell if Ennio did them or Andrea. Plus an equal amount of tension material if I'm not mistaken.

As for Veronika decides... I had to ask the chap who maintains the Morricone Japanese site to translate the track list for me (that's what I posted in Sountrackcollector). Once you program out the Ei Wada tracks, it really is a good score!

Another Andrea score that I'm quite fond of is the one he co-composed with his dad-- Al Cuore Si Comanda. There are a lot of fun themes in that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    Wow, such majestic music he recently composed that is featured in this Lancia Delta comercial with Richard Gere!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VA2wEM_PdQ

The piece is called "Verso est". I hear that the full 3:04 long single will be released. Singer Arianna Bergamaschi provided the vocals.

Peter shocked spin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's Italian; working for an Italian car; Italians usually tend to take things too......nationally, just like their neighbors wink

Keep us posted when it's out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Wow, such majestic music he recently composed for this Lancia Delta comercial with Richard Gere!:

Only Morricone...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just edited my message. I don't think it was composed for the comercial itself as it's 3 minutes long and the comercial is 45 seconds.

I've totally fallen in love with this piece, and the vocalist. I hope he'll work with her again.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    At the moment I'm hoping he'll work with ANYONE! No new scores lately...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm reminded of a 2001 comercial called "Come vorresti che fosse il futuro" for Telecom Italia where Morricone also composed an excellent theme with wordless soprano. It's never been released though, and he never used the theme in any of his scores.

This guy has so many weird and obscure projects all the time that there're always so many gems hidden away out there.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

word WORD WORD! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

Me too. But I get the feeling we'll get plenty more. This guy will work until he's 100.... and then he'll work some more.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote
    Wow, such majestic music he recently composed that is featured in this Lancia Delta comercial with Richard Gere!:

The piece is called "Verso est". I hear that the full 3:04 long single will be released. Singer Arianna Bergamaschi provided the vocals.

Peter shocked spin punk

Very cool! It's already on Itunes- http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

I will wait till it shows up on Amazon MP3
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Southall wrote

What about I Demoni di San Pietroburgo and Baaria - La porta del vento (if IMDB is right)? Have these scores already been released in Italy?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter shocked spin punk

Gorgeous piece of music cool

I can see exactly why serial Tibetan botherer Gere did this advert.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    Ennio Morricone: Peace Notes - Live in Venice (2008) (DVD)

Contains live performance of work he wrote for 9/11...Anyone heard it and can comment or recommend? I am seriously thinking of buying this but i need some feedback first!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o395 … /ennio.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … italbit-20
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If that is the same thing as "Voca del Silenzio" (or something like that) then it's pretty dissonant... I think the concert is mostly made up of his film music though, isn't it??
  1. Hey Southall, loved your review for The Mission. I guess I'll have to get that one, huh? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Hey Southall, loved your review for The Mission. I guess I'll have to get that one, huh? smile

No "guess" about it! GO. GET. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Hey Southall, loved your review for The Mission. I guess I'll have to get that one, huh? smile

No "guess" about it! GO. GET. cool

Couldn't.agree.more
  2. It will probably be my next purchase. I've had it on my list of things to get (a very long and organized list in my case), but I just bumped it to the front.