• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    Can anyone give us some info though? I need some, i don't want to buy pure dissonance at this moment, i prefer an elegy-style piece with the trademarked Morricone gorgeousness over it, IF it's like that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    It will probably be my next purchase. I've had it on my list of things to get (a very long and organized list in my case), but I just bumped it to the front.

Have a hunt around Christopher, you should be able to find it cheaply.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    Christopher? confused As in Colombus?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christopher? confused As in Colombus?

Keep up! He's going to get The Mission, Morricone, yeah!? rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    A "new" spaghetti western score from the maestro is available for pre-order at intermezzomedia: BANDA J & S CRONACA CRIMINALE DEL FAR WEST from 1972.
    Check it out at www.intermezzomedia.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    keky wrote
    A "new" spaghetti western score from the maestro is available for pre-order at intermezzomedia: BANDA J & S CRONACA CRIMINALE DEL FAR WEST from 1972.
    Check it out at www.intermezzomedia.com

This is a strange score. Kinda cute, quirky and not very western sounding. It's perhaps one of his least popular western scores. But I find that kinda unfair, because each track is melodic and offers something new. There's a lovely acoustic guitar love theme, a classical waltz, another gorgeous and loungy love theme for harmonica and flugelhorn, a lazy, hypnotic theme with lots of whistling and women singing "Sonny" in a rather cute way, and two silly and upbeat cues. All very listenable and enjoyable, but perhaps not up to his usual standard.

This new release only offers a few extra minutes, with a couple of extended tracks, compared to the old release, so there will only be about 30 minutes of score in all. Kinda silly that they didn't combine it with another score. I'd rather recommend people to buy the old CAM release, where there are 3 scores on 1 album.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sounds NOT like my kind of stuff wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I found a couple of clips for anyone interested in the score:
    "Sonny" (Starts at 3:44 into the clip)
    "Sweet Susan" (Starts at 3:40 into the clip)

The "Sweet Susan" love theme is the loungy flugelhorn thing I mentioned above. It's the real gem of the score, imo.

Christodoulides wrote
    Sounds NOT like my kind of stuff wink

Try out the second clip above, you might like that theme. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    Perhaps my alltime favorite Morricone love theme is the one from "Fat Man & Little Boy"(aka. "Shadow makers"). I'm sure few morriconians have heard it, as the score was never released. This piece truly touches me unlike any other. I've no idea why, but it just gets to me every single time I hear it. There's so much sadness in it that it's almost unbearable.

You can listen to it here-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KepAujDpPCs

One caveat though: This might not be a theme that you will find particularly memorable on first listen. It takes a while to grow on you. But trust me, it's worth every effort. Give it time, and you'll come to love it.

To rip the music from utube videos-> http://www.ripzor.com/

Peter cool
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008
    Gorgeous theme! My current favorite is the theme of Il Segreto del Sahara...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Perhaps my alltime favorite Morricone love theme is the one from "Fat Man & Little Boy"(aka. "Shadow makers"). I'm sure few morriconians have heard it, as the score was never released. This piece truly touches me unlike any other. I've no idea why, but it just gets to me every single time I hear it. There's so much sadness in it that it's almost unbearable.

And there was me, thinking I was the only person who had watched that film. I bought it on VHS - just because of Morricone - and was pretty pleased I did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Can anyone tell me something about the score Sahara (Intrada 1992) by the Maestro? I have just won it on e-bay for 26 $. Was it worth it? I am not familiar with that score although I saw the film almost 20 years ago and though I can recall I liked the music I don't really remember it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    Of course it was worth it; it's one of the best scores by the maestro, imo; deeply emotional, dark and challenging listen with some surprisingly melodic outbursts. AND you get to hear where Zimmer lifted parts of his - otherwise excellent, GLADIATOR score from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think you're talking about Secret of the Sahara, Demetris. There is another score simply called Sahara. I know I bought it once but it doesn't appear to be anywhere on my shelf so I may well have lost it somehow. I can't really remember much about it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah sorry about that; didn't know there was a "SAHARA" one! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Yes, there is Sahara from 1983 with Brooke Shields (that is the score I bought) and there is the Secret of the Sahara from 1987. The first one is a feature film the latter is a TV-series.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    keky wrote
    Yes, there is Sahara from 1983 with Brooke Shields (that is the score I bought) and there is the Secret of the Sahara from 1987. The first one is a feature film the latter is a TV-series.

SAHARA is a fine melodic score, hope you enjoy it smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Though it's good it's nowhere near the the excellence of Secret of The Sahara.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    double pst shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Though it's good it's nowhere near the the excellence of Secret of The Sahara.

Yes, Secret of the Sahara is a great score. It was one of the first soundtracks in my collection (on tape back in the beginning of the nineties)
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    If I love The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly and Navajo Joe, what should my next Western score be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    - For A Few Dollars More
    - The Big Gundown
    - A Fistful Of Dollars

In that order.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    ...yeah, but not until Once Upon a Time in the West! I still consider it to be the maestro's most glorious achievement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    ...yeah, but not until Once Upon a Time in the West! I still consider it to be the maestro's most glorious achievement.

YEAP! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    - For A Few Dollars More
    - The Big Gundown
    - A Fistful Of Dollars

In that order.

...and YEAP! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote
    Can anyone tell me something about the score Sahara (Intrada 1992) by the Maestro? I have just won it on e-bay for 26 $. Was it worth it? I am not familiar with that score although I saw the film almost 20 years ago and though I can recall I liked the music I don't really remember it.

It was worth it. It's a lovely score. The main theme is great and is has a beautiful love theme. There are other nice melodic tracks and the action music is very cool. He reused this action music sound in 1999 in "I guardiani del cielo". There isn't any of the dissonance that people often dislike with Morricone, it's just melodic and good stuff all the way through. I rate it ****.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Panthera wrote
    If I love The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly and Navajo Joe, what should my next Western score be?

"For a few dollars more".

It stands alongside "The good, the bad and the ugly" as one of the greatest scores ever composed. The themes are just as good, but unfortunately the album is rather short. You should buy it coupled with "A fistful of dollars", which is also a very good score, with 2 extraordinary themes.

I rate them:

The good, the bad and the ugly: *****
    For a few dollars more: *****
    A fistful of dollars: ****½

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Panthera wrote

"For a few dollars more".

You should buy it coupled with "A fistful of dollars", which is also a very good score, with 2 extraordinary themes.

Peter smile

But that musical watch theme is missing in the combo of Few Dollars More & Fistful of Dollars, right?

My fave Ennio western cd is the magnificent budget priced compilation- http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Italian … B000002WE1
    At $1 used, it's a killer of a deal smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    But that musical watch theme is missing in the combo of Few Dollars More & Fistful of Dollars, right?

No, the 30 seconds to what? cue is on there, but I think Peter meant getting both full scores. Not get the one 23 minute (or so) CD. smile
    And while I like the brief representation (after all aside from actually taping the music from the movie proper -which luckily was quite easy as large stretches go by without dialogue- it was the only thing available for years!) I have no hesitation to throw in my endorsement to that suggestion.

I agree you should get Once Upon a Time in the West as well (me, I put that off far too long), but it's a relatively slow and romantic score. In that respect it's superior to The Good The bad and The Ugly in my opinion (though you CANNOT beat the absolutely iconic theme and the spine-tingling L'estassi dell'oro, BUT as you referenced the very quirky and up-tempo Navajo Joe as well, my guess is that you'll do better with my recommendations for now and wait a bit with Upon a Time in the West which you will probably appreciate a lot more afterwards.

I know I did.
    But that's just my opinion, of course.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    BhelPuri wrote

There has been several releases, so there might be one where good cues are missing. I think in most there are 7 tracks from "A fistful of dollars" and 8 from "For a few dollars more". Perhaps a good buy would be the compilation called "A fistful of sounds" which has "A fistful of dollars", "For a few dollars more" and "Once upon a time in the west".

BhelPuri wrote
    My fave Ennio western cd is the magnificent budget priced compilation- http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Italian … B000002WE1
    At $1 used, it's a killer of a deal smile

Ahhh, that brings back memories. One of my earliest Morricone CDs and one of the best. What a sublime compilation! And it has the full "A fistful of dollars" and "For a few dollars more", so that would be another great buy.

Peter punk