• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    No, the 30 seconds to what? cue is on there, but I think Peter meant getting both full scores. Not get the one 23 minute (or so) CD. smile

I was thinking about the traditional releases with 7+8 tracks and about 30 minutes in all, as they will be the most economic buy. But GDM have indeed released two expanded versions that I recommend warmly.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Oops.
    I presumed too much. shame

However and as that may be, 30 Seconds To What? *is* on the traditional 7+8 release, so if that's your main goal, and money is a concern, then you could certainly do a lot worse than buying that one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    What would people recommend as the best Morricone compilation album? Preferably featuring original recordings. As I only have 4 Morricone scores I want to expand my familiarity with him but there are so many choices it's a bit overwhelming and I've already been burned once by random experimentation (Gui La Testa which is totally not to my taste).
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh! Oh!

Me!!! Me!

I'd go for the super cd: Cinema Concerto at Santa Cecilia!
    http://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Concerto-E … B00004OCR6

That was my introduction to the Maestro and worth it. Excellent performances and some amazing tracks, including the ultimate piece "Ecstasy of Gold"!

punk punk punk punk punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hmm, curious? You've managed to do the impossible Bregt, you've piqued my interest in a Morricone album! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    What would people recommend as the best Morricone compilation album? Preferably featuring original recordings. As I only have 4 Morricone scores I want to expand my familiarity with him but there are so many choices it's a bit overwhelming and I've already been burned once by random experimentation

There are many great compilation albums, but one of the best in my opinion is "Ennio Morricone - Film music 1966-1987". Another goodie, which has some excellent selections, but also a few odd choices is "The Ennio Morricone anthology - A fistful of film music". This one also has a great booklet.

The two above are starter albums. When you some day want more compilations with amazing, but more rare inclusions, I highly recommend the three "main titles" volumes by DRG. And also the various "Ennio Morricone collection" releases by BMG (With the exception of "Neapolitan songs", which is an abomination).

Scribe wrote(Gui La Testa which is totally not to my taste).

I don't like you anymore. sad ........ wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote
    Scribe wrote(Gui La Testa which is totally not to my taste).

I don't like you anymore. sad ........ wink

Peter smile

Hey, my tastes are expanding all the time...I'm sure if I listened to it more I would grow to like it. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'd follow Peters advice Matt!
    (after you followed mine! mwuhahaha!)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008 edited
    Duck you sucker (or whatever its english translation is) is pretty much a sucker score itself. Never managed to handle more than 5 minutes into it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I heard the Yo Yo Ma compilation album is great as well. I have heard a track from it, which was very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Duck you sucker (or whatever its english translation is) is pretty much a sucker score itself. Never managed to handle more than 5 minutes into it.

I really don't understand that. If you don't like the comedic elements, that's fine, but there's gorgeousness too. The operatic Edda dell'Orso in one of his best themes ever, the sad and ultra beautiful "Mexico and Ireland" and the mournful but strangely cozy "After the explosion". I don't understand how someone who likes Morricone can't find more than 5 minutes of enjoyable music in there.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well can't get past the comedic elements that is; but maybe i should create a playlist with what i like then wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    I heard the Yo Yo Ma compilation album is great as well. I have heard a track from it, which was very good.

also completely agree with this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well can't get past the comedic elements that is; but maybe i should create a playlist with what i like then wink

Just what I was thinking. That might be a good idea. beer Perhaps tracks 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 11 would be a good playlist.

Perhaps you can also give "March of the beggars" another try, despite it's comedic nature, as it's a favorite track among many morriconians.

Sometimes it strangely takes some effort to "get" a style. I remember when I first bought "Morricone a go! go!" in my early days as a fan, I felt disappointed and kinda embarrassed about it because the music just seemed so cheesy and simplistic. Today I love it! Giving the style a chance really paid off in the end, and transformed me into the biggest Morricone nut on the planet.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Panthera wrote

The great thing with self-conducted Morricone compilations - this, the Santa Cecilia one Bregt mentioned, and various other concert recordings - is that they present different arrangements of familiar music. In the case of the Yo-Yo Ma disc, it presents (mostly) highly-melodic, completely gorgeous arrangements of some of Morricone's most rapturous themes. For a Morricone novice I would say it's perfect.

In general... I think the best Morricone compilation you could get to get a "sampler" of his music would be one that a Morricone fan like me or Peter made for you. Perhaps I could do a Guess the Score game devoted entirely to Morricone - more as a way of showing off some of his greatest music than actually as a competition!
  1. Southall wrote
    Panthera wrote

The great thing with self-conducted Morricone compilations - this, the Santa Cecilia one Bregt mentioned, and various other concert recordings - is that they present different arrangements of familiar music. In the case of the Yo-Yo Ma disc, it presents (mostly) highly-melodic, completely gorgeous arrangements of some of Morricone's most rapturous themes. For a Morricone novice I would say it's perfect.

In general... I think the best Morricone compilation you could get to get a "sampler" of his music would be one that a Morricone fan like me or Peter made for you. Perhaps I could do a Guess the Score game devoted entirely to Morricone - more as a way of showing off some of his greatest music than actually as a competition!

I have an older Morricone GTS game which I never used (and almost got deleted by me). shocked

I will upload it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    There are many great compilation albums, but one of the best in my opinion is "Ennio Morricone - Film music 1966-1987". Another goodie, which has some excellent selections, but also a few odd choices is "The Ennio Morricone anthology - A fistful of film music". This one also has a great booklet.

I have the ANTHOLOGY set and it's awesome! Another recommendation from me. It's for the most part in his quirky pop mode, which I really love.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Each to they're own.

I think it's BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eh, sorry, I was thinking about this set, which is also named AN ENNIO MORRICONE ANTHOLOGY!!

Talk about confusing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Eh, sorry, I was thinking about this set, which is also named AN ENNIO MORRICONE ANTHOLOGY!!

Talk about confusing.

Hehe. But that particular anthology is indeed also a great starter. It was on that compilation that I first heard the piece "Lullaby in blue", so I have rather fond memories of it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Each to they're own.

I think it's BRILLIANT!

I like you Timmer. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Panthera wrote

I even like some of the YO-YO-Ma album arrangements way more than the originals. Excellent, excellent album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Each to they're own.

I think it's BRILLIANT!

I like you Timmer. beer

Top man yerself Pete beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Panthera wrote

I even like some of the YO-YO-Ma album arrangements way more than the originals. Excellent, excellent album.

Yes, nice album... after hearing the Marco Polo track, I ordered the full Marco Polo score, and its gorgeous (for the most part 95%) Got some fond memories of that score, since it was the only cd I brought with me when I rented a car for a week while in Luxembourg. Driving through the gentle rolling landscape on a lonely country road, listening to Marco Polo. It was great, and the "funny" part is... Marco Polo has some religious sounding "christian" music... while playing these tracks I found myself driving per chance through a quaint village with a bunch of churches. (was a pilgrimage village or something)... when that happens (accidental perfect mix between filmmusic and situation) I always have a big smile on my face.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I just also would like to recommend the Yo-Yo Ma album. It's a real gem! And also the Santa Cecilia Cinema Concerto. A great album too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    The only issue I have with Morricone’s compilation albums, is that they mostly always have tracks of the same scores. 1900, some spaghetti westerns, the Mission etc etc. I would love to get a nice album on par with the yo yo ma one with some other choices. Wouldn’t it be great to have a nicely re-recorded adventure/fantasy/scifi album from Morricone. Tracks like:

Main title theme from Red Sonja (nice “horse riding” music with that cute high pitched Morriconesque brass work.
    Love theme from Red Sonja (wooohh… love that one, super romantic, great theme)
    Some tracks from Hundra… (same “great” choice of choral text… ahum…”hundra, hundra, hundra, hundra… as Red Sonja’s “Sonja, Sonja, Sonja, Sonja”, seriously… cheesy as this sounds, its really great.

And more tracks like these, I don’t have many albums of Morricone, so I can’t really judge which other similar tracks can be included. But given the HUGE number of movies he scored, that shouldn’t be too difficult. I don’t want to hear ANOTHER compilation which has “the ecstasy of gold” in it…
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    If somebody has Il Guardiani Del Cielo please share some thoughts about it! Is it any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    keky wrote
    If somebody has Il Guardiani Del Cielo please share some thoughts about it! Is it any good?

It's wonderful. Outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    keky wrote

Great score! Has several great themes and standalone gems. It has a feel to it similar to his other desert scores "Secret of the Sahara", "Il principe del deserto" etc. It's among the few Morricone scores that are listenable from start to finish.

I rate it: *****

Southall used to have a review of it. If I remember correctly he gave it 5 stars as well.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Thanks for the answers. Now you didn't make it easy for me, because there is one on e-bay but it costs more than 50 USD. But if it is really that good I might think about bidding on it...