• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2016
    "On Saturday 25th June, Ennio Morricone was awarded with a plaque in recognition of 350.000 sold tickets for his '60 Years of Music World Tour'.
    The award was presented to the Maestro during a sold-out open air concert on the Saint-Peter's Square in Ghent."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFmKe0Q6tak
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2016 edited
    If you were looking forward to another Ennio Morricone and Terrence Malick collaboration for his newest project Voyage of Time (which is already looking awesome in its released trailers and imagery), look forward no further, as it seems Ennio Morricone has been taken off the project and his music will not be featured.

Lastly, although it was reported that Ennio Morricone would be re-teaming with Malick to score the project, his name isn’t found in any credits at this stage. Instead, it looks as if the director worked with sound designer Joel Dougherty to “weave natural and speculative sounds into the film’s universe” and music supervisor Lauren Mikus to “choose a variety of instrumental pieces that evoke the swirling, swelling, creative energy of life at both ends of the magnitude scale."

https://thefilmstage.com/news/the-makin … e-of-time/

There're also other reports on message boards saying Morricone's name has been taken off credits lists from producing company Wild Bunch. No idea where the collaboration broke up, but I'm really hoping he did record his music and we're getting another 'inspired by the film' album like Desplat's Tree of Life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016
    I don't think it was ever recorded (most Morricone recording sessions are reasonably well-publicised these days but there was never anything for this). Almost certainly never written I'd imagine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016 edited
    Shit! slant

A shame, I don't care for Malick's films but his beautiful photography and imagery bring out the best in composers, particularly Morricone and Zimmer's contributions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A shame about Morricone, but I have no doubt that it'll be a stunning film regardless, with great use of music. Big Malick fan.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016 edited
    Same here, this is my most eagerly awaited film of the year now. And to be honest, I'm taking this Morricone news as good news, since music will be such an important element of the film and I don't always emotionally connect with his music, whereas the classical pieces Malick used for the 'creation of life' segment in Tree of Life worked phenomenally. Still, it would've been nice to have been able to hear Ennio's take, especially since this film will most likely give a composer free reign to create long pieces and to develop his music fully.
  1. That may, if we are lucky, be just that version. Over at FSM they reported there are two cuts of this Malick work:

So there are 2 versions. The 40 minute doc in Imax theatres only with Pitt narration and the more poetic Blanchett narrated 90 minute one.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Same here, this is my most eagerly awaited film of the year now. And to be honest, I'm taking this Morricone news as good news, since music will be such an important element of the film and I don't always emotionally connect with his music, whereas the classical pieces Malick used for the 'creation of life' segment in Tree of Life worked phenomenally. Still, it would've been nice to have been able to hear Ennio's take, especially since this film will most likely give a composer free reign to create long pieces and to develop his music fully.

Agreed, although Morricone's DAYS OF HEAVEN did capture the emotional "wallop" pretty good; but then again, it's arguably Malick's most "traditional" or accesible film. This looks to be something far more complex and lofty.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think Badlands was even more accessible, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    That may, if we are lucky, be just that version. Over at FSM they reported there are two cuts of this Malick work:

So there are 2 versions. The 40 minute doc in Imax theatres only with Pitt narration and the more poetic Blanchett narrated 90 minute one.

No, this is about the entire project, so both versions. Morricone is not on the credits anymore. And yes, the 2 versions thing was announced a few years back, they've got seperate trailers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016
    Thor wrote
    Agreed, although Morricone's DAYS OF HEAVEN did capture the emotional "wallop" pretty good; but then again, it's arguably Malick's most "traditional" or accesible film. This looks to be something far more complex and lofty.

Yeah, and because of that I much prefer the pureness, the timeless quality of centuries old classical music (and yes, I know, Tavener and Preisner's works from ToL weren't centuries old, as is the Arvo Pärt music that will be in Voyage of Time, but still, they have that same pureness to it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016
    BobdH wrote
    Yeah, and because of that I much prefer the pureness, the timeless quality of centuries old classical music (and yes, I know, Tavener and Preisner's works from ToL weren't centuries old, as is the Arvo Pärt music that will be in Voyage of Time, but still, they have that same pureness to it).

You already have a list of music that is featured Bob?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can't understand why Terrence Mallick keeps hiring composers to write original scores for him only to reject, chop up and cut or replace with source music. I guess ok fine whatever helps composers being paid and all, but why the waste?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    BobdH wrote

You already have a list of music that is featured Bob?

Not a full list, but the article I linked to above (https://thefilmstage.com/news/the-makin … e-of-time/) mentions several pieces and composers that are featured, including Bach, Mahler and Pärt. Start compiling your own soundtrack release now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good ol' franz_conrad (Michael McLennan) used to be an expert in compiling data on music use in Malick films. I used his resources extensively when I did an article on the music in TREE OF LIFE a few years back. Alas, he's not around anymore -- not dead, but not posting much anywhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. On top of previousl Hanan Townshend providing additional music, now Simon Franglen is providing additional music:
    http://www.gsamusic.com/clients/simon-franglen/

Another troubled, troubled, troubled Malick scoring mess. If he's not careful, he'll usurp the spot Michael Mann holds on my Rejected Film Scores site (currently down).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Why doesn't he resort to tracking in classical music and be done with it? That method may not be our preferred option but one has to admit that it works if applied skilfully.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Apprently he has for this film, but he just can't help fiddling around with at least three different composers. At this point, I think it's clear what Horner said about working with him, hasn't really changed; we're seeing the end results of what a friend of mine calls a "clusterfuck".
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016
  6. Session footage from a recent film score:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4T6vqhvSVw
  7. Morricone not only made the Drudge Report website page with a link to an article, but there's also a picture of him there, too.

I think that's the first time I've seen a composer on the site.
  8. A dubious "honor".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2017
    I don't know if any of you have seen this video yet, but I find it utterly fascinating. It's footage from a (presumably recent) private party where Morricone writes a theme -- on the spot -- for one of his friends:

https://www.facebook.com/stefano.reali. … 5049433039

This is a cool, rare item in and of itself, but of course my mind starts to wander, and imagine how awesome it would have been to have a similar video for Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    OMG, that is odd!

Imagine him being at my Gent film music karaoke evenings.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    OMG, that is odd!

Ha, ha....
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Bregt wrote

You are doing what? You show mute excerpts of films to someone who is then sopposed to hum along the film music?

confused cheesy Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Clearly, you haven't been to one of our legendary film music karaoke evenings, Volker.

We use Youtube karaoke versions of film songs (mostly Disney for my part).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2017 edited
    The only version of this I remember is that bar in Ubeda which played film music, resulting in groups of drunk men (attempting to) sing along to the Russian lyrics in Poledouris’ The Hunt for Red October.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Next time in Ghent, Bob....next time in Ghent.
    I am extremely serious.