• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2018
    We went to Italy for an Ennio Morricone concert! You can read about it below

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/03/enn … -florence/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Very nice account. I've never seen him.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I was lucky enough to see him two years ago in Berlin. I just wish (and still do, I haven't done my homework!) that I knew more of his music beyond the big obvious hits. I probably would have enjoyed it even more, although the "discovery" aspect of the concert was also quite fun. But Morricone is a living legend and I wasn't about to miss the opportunity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you guys are lucky
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    In Brussels on 24 november - he'll be 90 then!

https://www.ticketmaster.be/event/ennio … uage=fr-be
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2018
    sad As some of he members know my ravel days are finished, sorry to say. sad
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018
    Goodness... do I go one last time?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited
    The Florence one was quite a treat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I won't. The 2009 concert will do for me. But great that he does one last tour at 90.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    Go, James.

Thor, your EM gig at the RAH was in 2010, 10 april.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Milan NS wrote
    Go, James.

Thor, your EM gig at the RAH was in 2010, 10 april.

Was it? You're probably right.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Go or you'll regret it.
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2018 edited
  2. 1995 documentary:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsTMKl73ZJM
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. So there is a new collaboration between Universal and La-La-Land Records coming up, which seems quite promising. One of the first scores to feature on the new imprint is Morricone's Two Mules for Sister Sara. Now Variety tells me that score was never before released on CD, which is obvious nonsense. Others users over at FSM murmur how the Legend release (coupled with Days of Heaven) - which I have - is of dubious legit. What's dubious about it? I never considered Legend to be a label of the grey marked. Their releases should be legitimate at least in Europe?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2018
    The denizens of that messageboard seem to have a particular obsession over bootlegs. I've got the same CD as you have and it's covered in the expected copyright and publishing credits so I can't see what could be illegitimate about it. In any case, the sound is rubbish so I would love a new release which corrects that.
  4. Indeed. So would I. beer
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2018 edited
    Yup, I'm aware.

Hopefully, I'll get press accreditation for this. But interview? No. He's almost as difficult to get an interview with as John Williams.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Ennio Morricone turns 90 today.

I chanced upon a surprisingly well made short feature on German radio yesterday. They said that western scores make for less then 9% of Morricone's oeuvre and that much of his non film music work remains to be discovered to a broader audience.

So happy birthday maestro!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2018
    Happy birthday indeed. I only know of one other living and older composer who is still scoring and working -- the Danish Bent Fabricius Bjerre at 93.

I sincerely hope he gets to do his Oslo concert in January. But to be honest, I more or less expect a cancellation (the pessimist in me, especially given his track record and also recently the Williams cancellation in London, which has made me weary of such things).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2018
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019
    Have a great time on monday, Thor! Looking forward to your review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2019
    Thanks! Can't wait. Even if I didn't get to interview him.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorMilan NS
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2019
    Tell us everything!

"I'm all ears" - Dumbo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2019
    It was fine. But some major issues with the venue itself.

I'll start writing my review tonight, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Ennio Morricone is such a gem. I was listening to Nostromo today and it had been awhile and gosh, I just didn't want it to end. So lush. So poetic. And no one sounds like Morricone, but Morricone. That's just amazing. For someone who's 90-years-old and no one wants to touch his style because he's so good at it, they could never replicate what he does, so why even try. smile (And I have an old concert poster of his framed above my piano. My friend is college was studying abroad in Italy and ripped it off a building for me and brought it home. It's a special reminder of how much my friend loves me to go through all that effort and a special reminder of the legacy to film music that Morricone is and will always be.)

I'm also looking forward to your review Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2019
    Here's my review (in English) of his Oslo concert two days ago:

http://celluloidtunes.no/ennio-morricone-in-oslo/
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Great review, Thor. I'm slightly green with envy of course. I'll listen to some of the music you mentioned tomorrow.

smile Volker