• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Quite possibly. He’s scored several commercials for D&G over the last few years (directed, unlike this one, by Tornatore). Those were so lushly-scored I’ve really hoped they may get released as download singles (but none of them has).

Well, I don't like it too much, but no matter. If the maestro is fine with it then I am fine with him being fine with it. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2019
    Well, I remember the infamous ´Remix´ albums approved by the maestro.
  2. I do like the album "We all love Morricone", but this is a compilation of new recordings and interpretations (mostly) and not remixes.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020
    I was wondering, what is everyone personal worst Morricone score?

IL Fiore Delle Mille E Una Notte immediately springs to mind, while I am also thinking about several fluffy, harpsichord-flavored (romantic) comedies....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020
    Joep wrote
    I was wondering, what is everyone personal worst Morricone score?

IL Fiore Delle Mille E Una Notte immediately springs to mind, while I am also thinking about several fluffy, harpsichord-flavored (romantic) comedies....

I actually kinda like those.

What I DON'T like are his abrasive, dissonant affairs. I like a great deal of dissonant music, but not Morricone's kind, for some reason. It's just irritating. Stuff like HAMLET, WOLF etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. To be honest, I'm only familiar with a small fraction of his work, given his enormous output. There is quite a lot of his music that I don't like, though. Much of it is too unpleasant/experimental for my taste. I'm a simple man and like my music to be tonal, easily digestible, and pretty (and boy has he written some wonderful music in that vein). I'm sure there are a lot of his scores that I would dislike if I knew more of them, but I've only really invested time in his music that I've heard recommended by a lot of people, so I can't say that there's any album from him that I would say I dislike as a whole. Of the ones I do know, I would be least interested in returning to LA MIGLIORE OFFERTA, but I wouldn't say it's bad or that I dislike it as a whole. I just wasn't wild about it.
  4. I've not heard many Morricone scores but probably my least favorite of those I have is his Hamlet.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2020
    I kind of feel his dissonant music is just as, yes, varied in its degree of quality, as any other kind of music. The more experimental, the more I tend to like it, but it also has to do with what else the scores has to offer.
    • CommentAuthorOnyaBirri
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020 edited
    Last night, Mrs. Birri and I prepared for dinner linguine with vegetarian white clam sauce, with oyster and trumpet mushrooms in the role of the clams. We paired it with Morricone's 1968 masterpiece ""Scusi, Facciamo L'Amore?" I LOVE that album!
  5. Oh, I love that recipe and make it all the time! If it's like mine, it's the one with arame and nutritional yeast? My husband grows culinary mushrooms in our basement during the winter months and I usually make it with Lion's Mane mushrooms and they absorb all the yummy flavor! Molto bene!
    • CommentAuthorOnyaBirri
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Oh, I love that recipe and make it all the time! If it's like mine, it's the one with arame and nutritional yeast? My husband grows culinary mushrooms in our basement during the winter months and I usually make it with Lion's Mane mushrooms and they absorb all the yummy flavor! Molto bene!

Ours is an improvised recipe. We basically sauté the shrooms in olive oil with garlic and onion. To add some faux seafood flavor, we add Old Bay seasoning, organic kelp granules, and organic dulse.

I have been vegetarian since the mid-1980s. I think the one dish that would tempt me would be actual linguine with white clam sauce. My mom used to cook this often for dinner on Saturday night. It brings back great memories.

Not sure I'm familiar with Lion's Mane mushrooms. Do they have a seafood-ish quality?
  6. I was actually born and raised a vegetarian, so have been one all my life - which means unfortunately I can't really tell you if the Lion's Mane has a seafood quality or not, but they have long separated teeth that each absorb sauce flavors really well, so you can really taste all the white wine, seaweed, and seasonings etc. extra with each bite which makes it super yummy! smile We should share some favorite recipes sometime! I'm always looking for new recipes to try!
    • CommentAuthorOnyaBirri
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2020
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I was actually born and raised a vegetarian, so have been one all my life - which means unfortunately I can't really tell you if the Lion's Mane has a seafood quality or not, but they have long separated teeth that each absorb sauce flavors really well, so you can really taste all the white wine, seaweed, and seasonings etc. extra with each bite which makes it super yummy! smile We should share some favorite recipes sometime! I'm always looking for new recipes to try!

Would be happy to!

I know there is a whole question about vegetarians eating faux meat, which I suppose this recipe falls under. But I can appreciate this dish both on its own terms and also as a made-for-TV version of the real deal. wink
  7. It's different for everyone and dependent on what you like eating, used to eat or miss eating, haha. But I personally don't think your recipe counts as faux meat because mushrooms are natural whole foods, but if it used some processed veggie meat substitute then I might consider it. smile
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2020 edited
    New review (Il Fantasma dell'Opera)
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/il-fa … ell-opera/
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2020
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2020
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2020

And a good favourite it is. Excellent score.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Which such high praise, sounds like one I definitely need to hear!
    • CommentAuthorOnyaBirri
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2020
    I have more scores by Morricone than any other composer, probably close to 100. Ms. Birri and I have been listening to Morricone since we got together in the 1990s. He has long been an essential part of our life.

Thanks for all the amazing music.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Filmscoregirl wroteWhich such high praise, sounds like one I definitely need to hear!

Let me know when you have.

Another review:
    Jona Che Visse nella Balena
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/jona- … la-balena/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks for all the Morricone reviews Joep.

Secret of the Sahara is also a favourite of mine, I think I got to know it via you!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2020 edited
    Yes, you did. I still buy extra copies of a variety of (Morricone) score releases, and in these last couple of days, it has begam to pay off. But I must admit, giving someone a badge that represents the wide range of Morricone, is not something I am likely to survive. For example, I presented someone with following badge:
    La Cosa Buffa (boring work with 100 variations on the same theme), the great Il Segreto del Sahara, the experimental, psychedelic Una Lucertola Con La Pelle Di Donna, the infamous organ score Il Fiore Delle Mille E Una Notte (one of his worst) and the inspiring Carel Kraayenhof - Guardians of the Clouds.

I hope to publish a couple of dozen of reviews soon, something which I wanted to do a year ago.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2020
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2020 edited
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086779/tr … t_ql_trv_1

The trivia page (La Piovra 1)

´´The music composer was Riz Ortolani, as per the film credits. However, the music was performed by Ennio Morricone, becoming one of his biggest hits, and issued as a double CD. ´´´

There is probably more disinformation on Imdb. Deleting a lot of composing credits, whereas, in reality, it´s a lot of re-use of previously written material, would also help in giving a more honest view of his career. It also wouldn´t hurt to count tv-series per season, not per episode. I know Chimai.com published a count some years ago, still omitting ghostwriting (which is difficult), but also counting each individual episode of a series.

I think Imdb is the most important factor in the endlessly copied number of works stated in, again, the endless press coverages. Give me a single hour, I could add at least a hundred more of such silly ´credits´.

Anyways, am I the only to who is really infuriated by all this coverage? I haven't read a single obituary, including those from 'our' community', Italians etc, that really does justice to his legacy. I have read some semi-fulfilling ones, but often fail to recognize at least one or more quintessential works and trades of the maestro. Usually, they omit the experimental scores, almost entirely, while emphasizing collaborative, unimportant efforts with directors for English based film. It goes from U-Turn, In the Line of Fire to Wolf, all insignificant. Even The Hatefull Eight, regardless of the Oscar and its musical strenght (I rather like it), is so insignificant.
  9. I wrote a fairly general one in Polish, for a magazine (though this was published on their site) I write for.

I also have to write a short one for the paper edition itself, but that means putting Morricone's prolific career in a whopping 500 characters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2020
    I gather that is extremely difficult. But I hope you can sort of see where my frustration comes from... Wojciech Kilar had been reduced to the composer of Dracula and The Pianist, James Horner to the Titanic, while I do think Horner´s career was summarised rather wonderfully by the ´community´.
  10. It's difficult because:

a) to listen to everything that Morricone wrote for film (even if it was even released), it'd take a lifetime;
    b) importance of an artist is often gathered by works most known. In this case we either go with the popular stuff (asked to add some YouTube links and I settled for the obvious, partly because it was a rather popular concert video (On Earth As It Is in Heaven and Ecstasy of Gold, Venice performances) conducted by the composer himself.

The latter point is particularly relevant in such a summary going "outside". Of course, he wrote much more, but people probably know the Eastwood films, perhaps Hateful Eight, The Mission. Some of work that was relevant isn't even widely known. The headline "The composer of Sacco e Vanzetti passed away" wouldn't be inspiring, no matter how important Joan Baez is/was in her own field. The spaghetti western (hence the pathetic Washington Post headline that was later revised) was a unique and influential sound. Mass media don't usually have specific film music coverage, I'm afraid.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2020
    Yes, that's the type of angle/challenge I chose for my own obituary at Montages (the film magazine I work for) -- to tell about his greatest and most famous accomplishments, but also add a bit of 'nerdy' content that is exclusive to our film interest. I think I hit a fair balance: https://montages.no/nyheter/ennio-morricone-1928-2020/ (in Norwegian)

Obviously, the comments field is where you really get to branch out and mention some of his lesser known, but not less brilliant titles.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2020
    I know that from the ´importance of an artist is often gathered by works most known´ perspective, it makes some sense, but as you undoubtedly would have guessed, is something I simply dislike, especially when mostly English based films are the standard. Both the uninformed and more knowledgeable people strike me as generally being too much alike.

In terms of popularity, there is some wrongdoing, such as La Piovra, which I think is remarkable. This was the most popular Italian series of all times, in Italy and internationally. I could ask any of my 40 plus neighbors, and they all remember the title theme and the series vividly. Though I must admit, younger people are not likely to adopt their appraisal, but still it´s absurd.

Regarding Youtube, totally expected, but when I play a single cue from a random Morricone score, it is immediately followed by a cliched piece of music. Morricone, who is one of a kind, is somehow the symbol for a lot of things that have bothered me for many years, mostly in relation to popularity, while not always undeserved.