• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    Being the resident Morricone nut I guess it's only appropriate that I start this topic.

If anyone have questions about him or his scores, I might be able to help, as I have almost all his scores, and know most of them well.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    I liked the word "might". There's not the slightest need for that in this sentence above wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Hehe. Well, I've many seen questions that I didn't have the answer too. Spending time on the Ennio Morricone Discussion Board I realize that there are several morriconians out there much more knowledgable than me.

Peter wink

PS. Ennio Morricone Discussion Board-> http://pub36.bravenet.com/forum/show.ph … 3017524795
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Peter, would you happen to know some stuff about this one? http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8265
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Peter, this is SO your thread! cool

And for anyone who wants to escape him, this is a Steven free zone ( Jordi? ) wink cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Hehe, thanks Timmer. cool

Christodoulides, I wouldn't recommend that album. While the main theme is absolutely gorgeous, and appears on many compilations, the score doesn't really offer anything else, other than dissonance. Every 2nd track on the album is a variation of the main theme and the rest is unlistenable, at least to my ears. Better get the theme on some nice compilation, that's what I recommend.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is it orchestral or synthy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Real instruments the whole way through.

The score is basically as if his "Questa specia d'amore" score got together with "Gruppo Improvisazione Nuova Consonanza" and had a kid. Part gorgeous, part ugly.

Peter cow
  1. Happy 78th birthday; on the 10th he celebreated, and no one here said anything.

AND:

"if we can't get it together in another month or so, I'm gonna go off and do something else"

"We are still trying to cast this," replied De Palma. "We've had this together with a bunch of different actors over the last couple of years. Things keep on falling in and out. I have nothing to report. We thought we had it together again. I don't know if its gonna pull itself together soon enough for me to shoot next year. I have to shoot it in the wintertime, because the Valentine's Day Massacre in it has got to be done in the cold in February. So if we can't get it together in another month or so, I'm gonna go off and do something else."

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/moviegeeks … 1/BRIAN-DE -PALMA-coming-to-MOVIE-GEEKS-UNITED
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    In case you're puzzled over why Ennio is so revered, here's a reminder (or rather 6 reminders):

Part 1 (Clips from "Once upon a time in the west" & "Once upon a time in America": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma1e9mifjGY
    Part 2 (Clips from "Mission to Mars" & "Aida degli alberi": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92UrCSI0vlk
    Part 3 (Clips from "Love affair", "Canone inverso" & "Days of heaven": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWQL2c8BuFQ
    Part 4 (Clips from "Malena", "The legend of 1900" & "Cinema Paradiso"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_zUHupS9Iw
    Part 5 (Clips from "La piovra 4"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLRT8kLAljs
    Part 6 (Clips from "Strangled lifes", "The mission", "Perlasca", "L'agnese va a morire" & "Cefalonia": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OZUUXGdodk

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    justin boggan wrote
    Happy 78th birthday; on the 10th he celebreated, and no one here said anything.

He was born in 1928, so I'm pretty sure he turned 79. wink Next year is the big 80s, so it won't be forgotten then.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008
    Anyone heard TUTTE LE DONNE DELLA MIA VITA (2007) ? Peter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anyone heard TUTTE LE DONNE DELLA MIA VITA (2007) ? Peter?

It's a fun score! Light-hearted and breezy. Plus it incorporates his Se Telefonando song which he composed for Mina a long time ago. There are little or no tension devices smile
    Nice score but it's pricey sad
    I think Southall has a review for it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Great link to "Se telefonando" BhelPuri! What an amazing pop song! Morricone had several italian pop hits both as a composer but also as an arranger in the late 50s and throughout the 60s, something few film score fans are aware of. Hadn't he become a legend in the world of film scores, I bet he would have become a legend as a song writer instead.

Christodoulides, I'm sure you will be shocked that I hadn't actually heard of that score before you mentioned it. wink I'll get hold of it immediately of course.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall's review:

" In the titular fourth track, Morricone interrupts the light pop with one of his killer love themes, and it's a real beauty with the trademark swooping strings and heartmelting melody. How he does it I've no idea, but he continues to throw these themes out which for other composers would be a once-in-a-lifetime effort, seemingly with each new score."

Peter *drooling* lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    plindboe wrote What an amazing pop song! Morricone had several italian pop hits both as a composer but also as an arranger in the late 50s and throughout the 60s

Indeed! It keeps soaring and soaring and Mina sings terrific! I love the opening bars-- vintage Ennio smile

There was a cool video on youtube taken from a Brit documentary on Morricone where a musicologist (Sergio Miceli) explained the structure of that song-- it's like a spiral going higher and higher. The music has little in connection with the lyrics... he just went crazy with it punk
    Too bad the video isn't there anymore sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2008
    I love that clip too. Mina has a certain look that really adds to the song, and we get an extreme closeup like it was a spaghetti western.

I have that documentary you mention on VHS tape, so I know it quite well. smile It will hopefully/probably be uploaded on utube in its entirety some day; sooner or later everything ends up on utube.

Peter spin
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008 edited
    Three questions:

Firstly, are there any synths on 1982's The Thing?
    Secondly, is it true that - even though John Carpenter was a prior fan of the Maestro - they fell out big time during the scoring process?
    Thirdly, is the Come Maddelana on the Virgin double CVD anthology the original from 1971 or the re-recording done in the late 70s?

Molto grazie, as Morricone would say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    Can't speak for the others Dave, though I have the full soundtrack of Maddalena I'm not familiar with the Virgin release.

The Thing does contain some synths, particularly in the main title and they sound very much like John Carpenter had a hand in it. Don't let that put you off as it's a great score if you like bleak desolate landscape music like I do.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    djdave, the "Come Maddalena" that was rearranged for the "Disco 78" album is 4:22 long. The original "Come Maddalena" from '71 is 9:14 long, though some compilations cut half of it off and end with a running time of 4:39.

I'm a big fan of the '78 version, the arrangement is sublime and unique. The original '71 version has weird percussion, that he also used in various giallos around that time, and sound more dated and very different, but when it really gets going it's amazing stuff as well. If you're still not sure which version you have, you can try to upload the track online or mail it to me.

Timmer, I believe it's entirely a Morricone composition, even though he mimicked Carpenter's style. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Carpenter was unsatisfied with it, because, as he said; if he wanted that sound, he would have composed it himself.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    Thanks for that ,Tim and Peter punk

I've already got The Thing, Tim, and agree entirely that it's a wonderfully atmospheric score. Perfect for the film, in fact. For sheer spookiness and tension, I reckon Contamination and Bestiality are the best cues. Apparantly, the former was done by the violinists plucking the strings (a technique I believe they use for warming up). I've always wondered, though, if any of it was synth based.

As for Come Maddelena, I haven't got the CD with me so I can't check the timing: it's definately not the full-length original, so it's either the cut down version or the Disco 78 rerecording. In either case, when I first bought the CD it just blew me away. It's one of those pieces of film music that just grab you straight away. Fantastic stuff.

Don't you think it's a shame that the Academy Awards' judges have never given him an Oscar? I suspect that, just like Alex North, they'll eventually give him one out of guilt.
  2. Carpenter was very complimentary about Morricone when the composer was honoured at last year's Oscars:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 48bec9e854

There's also a piece here: http://www.stopsmilingonline.com/story_ … php?id=772

I'm not sure if they "fell out" or if it was just that Carpenter didn't think Morricone's music fitted in specific places. He did keep a lot of Morricone's music in the movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I've never really been a fan of the score for "The thing" even though I adore the movie. I'm more into catchy themes than atmosheric creepiness, no matter how well composed and functional it is. I agree though that the string plucking is extremely effective. He used the same technique in his "Moses, the lawgiver" score, scoring one of the ten plagues, the one with the insects. "Bestiality" is one of the few cues in that score that I do enjoy. Supposedly it was composed for the dog scene, but alas Carpenter decided not to use it.

Since you describe "Come Maddalena" as instantly grapping, you're probably referring to the '78 version. The original from '71 starts with normal drums, similar to his giallo scores, and an organ joins after a while, it slowly builds up and is more or less uninteresting the first 2-3 minutes, but it becomes so amazing later on when the strings and choir really gets going, that I almost get tears in my eyes from ecstacy. The rearranged version is more disco like, a bit Shafty, with a cool guitar rhythm and disco sound effects and is more like a single, aimed at the popular music market. That one is one of the first Morricone tracks I fell in love with, and one of the finest as well. A bit unfair that "Chi mai" stole all the publicity when it has such a stunning sister.

About the oscars, Did you miss the last oscar show? He got the honorary oscar just like Alex North.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I forgot that I do have the Come Maddalena 78 arrangement because it was on the B-side of the hit 45rpm single Chi Mai which at that time was used as the theme for the British TV series The Life And Times Of Lloyd George. A very popular show here at the time and I believe Morricone's single achieved a very high chart possition. At that time I didn't know that Chi Mai was actually a part of the Maddalena score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Yep, the "Chi mai" single become a no.1 on the british pop charts. Something rarely seen with film music.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    plindboe wrote

About the oscars, Did you miss the last oscar show? He got the honorary oscar just like Alex North.

Peter smile

I must confess that I did, Peter. But it's about bloody time that he was recognised. punk

I think the event itself it too glitzy and commercial - and I think George C Scott's comment (that it's a meat market) has some truth, vis-a-vis the acting awards. But I would have picked up on it when my show is back on air, 'cos I always say if a particular score/composer has won awards.

Don't you agree, though, that he shoyuld have won for The Mission?

By the way, as a matter of interest ('cos I don't know) , how would I upload a cue onto the Internet/email it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, you missed some big news then! biggrin

Morricone got 13 minutes of the Oscar show, which is pretty nice compared to poor Alex North's couple of minutes. You can see it all here:

Clint's clumsy speech
    Suite of famous and nominated scores
    Celine Dion's song
    Morricone's touching speech

Clint forgot to put on his glasses so he couldn't see the teleprompter, and his presentation is therefore rather embarrassing. The music suite is very nice, though "The good, the bad and the ugly" could could have been performed better. The Dion song is pretty decent, though I can understand why many people dislike her. Morricone's speech is the highlight, he's clearly very humbled and emotional about the award. Very sweet when he dedicates it to he's wife (who's sitting next to Quincy Jones and Andrea Morricone).

About "The mission", I think practically everyone agrees that it should have won. smile But I personally don't mind so much, it's just entertainment after all. I'm just happy he got 13 minutes on the most watched show in the world, what a moment.

I'm not sure how to upload to the internet exactly as I haven't tried it before and don't have a website to do it on. Some people use rapidshare, and there are plenty other sites like that. You first have to rip the track to mp3 of course. To mail it you just need to attach the mp3 to the message. How you do that depends on what mail program you use, but it's usually a straightforward procedure.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, thx Peter!

I hadn't seen anything of Morricones Award.
    What a beautiful speech he did. Very touching.

Not a big fan of Dion (keep those arms still!!!!), but wasn't it Morricone himself who chose her?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Glad you enjoyed it, Bregt. smile

The Dion song had just been written for the "We all love Morricone" album, and Dion is a famous and popular singer, so I do think her song was the right choice for such an event. I don't know if Morricone chose her, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Peter smile