• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Never understood the big deal about Iglesias, to be honest. I've sampled a few scores -- and even have a couple in my collection -- but most of it is grating and directionless minimalism.

It's got passion and heart; he ventures into jazz or even minimalism and neo-modal, he's complex, but at the same fragile and beautiful. Not for everyone indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Thor wrote
    Never understood the big deal about Iglesias, to be honest. I've sampled a few scores -- and even have a couple in my collection -- but most of it is grating and directionless minimalism.

He's on a level with Desplat in brilliance, so this post is not entirely surprising. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

He's on a level with Desplat in brilliance, so this post is not entirely surprising. wink

Yeah, there's a parallell there and maybe the reason why I can't connect to any of them.

My feelings on Iglesias was cemented in Ghent last year, when they played an excerpt from the latest Almodovar film (name escapes me), which was -- by far -- the most boring piece of the evening.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's funny that you should make the parallels between Desplat and Iglesias because, as everyone knows, I adore Desplat's work, but I have never warmed up to Iglesias at all. All the ones I feel I should like - The Constant Gardener, his work for Pedro Almodovar, Tinker Tailor... just leaves me cold and, at times, bored. I can't explain it.
  3. I can sort of understand CONSTANT GARDENER and TINKER TAILOR leaving someone cold. (Although both have some lovely cues.)

Thor wrote

...they played an excerpt from the latest Almodovar film (name escapes me), which was -- by far -- the most boring piece of the evening.

Then for heaven's sake, DON'T CHECK OUT THE SKIN I LIVE IN. wink

I like Iglesias -- primarily because like Desplat, he presents an alternative to the Thomas Newman minimalist drama route that was dominating every film with half a brain for a while. Just because it works in a drama doesn't mean the music of it has to be undetectable. In Iglesias's take on that sound, chamber ensembles shine, and Newman's stuff feels mawkish and sentimental at times next to Iglesias's chilly sense of form. THE DANCER UPSTAIRS remains the strongest of his works to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    the skin i live in, is stunning. The opening cue ( Los Vestidos Desgarrados) with its devilish solo violin and orchestra is the most impressive piece i've heard this year.

Hear, hear. Though the final cue, Creditos, is growing to be my favorite. Even though I've grown addicted to the cues that cite that main theme. Also loved El Asalto del Hombre Tigre, though not right away.
  4. 'El Asalto del Hombre Tigre' is great. If he'd ever done a Mission Impossible score, that would be a good sound to be tapping into.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    My favourite is Todo Sobre mi Madre. It's so good! The Skin I Live In drops a bit in the middle, but it's a very good score.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, there's a parallell there and maybe the reason why I can't connect to any of them.

My feelings on Iglesias was cemented in Ghent last year, when they played an excerpt from the latest Almodovar film (name escapes me), which was -- by far -- the most boring piece of the evening.

Just because some music isn't exactly good Concert music that doesn't mean it's not good music in general, especially if we are talking about film scores, which are written for something completely different than live concert usage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I can sort of understand CONSTANT GARDENER and TINKER TAILOR leaving someone cold. (Although both have some lovely cues.)

Thor wrote

...they played an excerpt from the latest Almodovar film (name escapes me), which was -- by far -- the most boring piece of the evening.

Then for heaven's sake, DON'T CHECK OUT THE SKIN I LIVE IN. wink

I like Iglesias -- primarily because like Desplat, he presents an alternative to the Thomas Newman minimalist drama route that was dominating every film with half a brain for a while. Just because it works in a drama doesn't mean the music of it has to be undetectable. In Iglesias's take on that sound, chamber ensembles shine, and Newman's stuff feels mawkish and sentimental at times next to Iglesias's chilly sense of form. THE DANCER UPSTAIRS remains the strongest of his works to date.

The skin i live in is one of his best scores too, and one of the most impressive and passionate i've heard in years.
  5. The reason I was advising him to avoid it is THE SKIN I LIVE IN is 'the latest Almodovar film' that Thor referred to. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wasn't he talking about last year's Ghent? I understood that he meant the last Almodovar movie score of last year; don't know if i got it correctly though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wasn't he talking about last year's Ghent? I understood that he meant the last Almodovar movie score of last year; don't know if i got it correctly though.

Yes, that's it. It was actually VOLVER that they played (a 2006 film), so I was way off anyway. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, volver is much more standard and mellow in comparison to the skin i live in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011 edited
    Apparently the track "Los Vestidos Desgarrados" from The Skin I Live In is based on "Cautiva", a ballet composed by Iglesias in 1992.
    Kazoo
  6. So, he pulled a Horner...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Well, that depends how 'based on' it is.
    Most likely he pulled a Herrmann (who frequently moved stuff between his classical compositions and film scores).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    Nah. Although I haven't heard the said older piece yet still I believe it is very hard for anyone else to pull a Horner. That man is So in love with himself like no other ever! wink
  8. My review of TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY, if anyone is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2011/12/13/tinke … -iglesias/
  9. Not quite as interesting as THE SKIN I LIVE IN, that one, but still very solid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Yeap, the skin i live in is one of the most complete scores i've heard this year.
  10. Maybe Iglesias has won an Oscar along the way after all...
    http://anyeventuality.wordpress.com/201 … pixars-up/
    wink
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    Maybe Iglesias has won an Oscar along the way after all...
    http://anyeventuality.wordpress.com/201 … pixars-up/
    wink

Doesn't sound too much like Giacchino's theme - unless you go looking for similarities. But to me, although there is a suggestion (more the shape of the a portion rather than the melody), I would say that Michael's okay.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Ironically, I remember one FSM Podcast where the Kaplans played the Iglesias theme (from its MAD MEN appearance) and were suggesting it was a bit of a rip off of UP. So people seem to hear something in it, although I must confess the debt is less clear to me.

It is sadly indicative of the state of film music fan focus that the only reason many know of Iglesias's lovely score for SEX AND LUCIA was because of a piece tracked into MAD MEN that reminded them of the theme for UP. Iglesias's music is worth so much more recognition than that sorry little coincidental chain of events. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited
    Opinions seem very divided on music by Alberto Iglesias.

For whatever it's worth, I'll state that Iglesias (out of all current composers working in today's films) is the composer whose films scores I anticipate hearing the most.

Whether it's a BAD EDUCATION or THE CONSTANT GARDENER or a VOLVER or THE KITE RUNNER or 2011's TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY, Iglesias' scores float my boat (as much as any soundtrack music from the 21st century could float my boat in the first place).

No surpirse, then, that LE MOINE (THE MONK) is my favorite score of 2011 and probably my favorite Iglesias score overall.

[Even so, 2011's MONK pales in comparison to the initial version of THE MONK, scored in '72 by Piero Piccioni. 1972 freely atonal dissonances rule! smile ]
  13. I haven't heard MONK. I must get around to it. My own favourite is THE DANCER UPSTAIRS, still one of the most darkly beautiful scores I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    Really? See the movie, it's great and the score is awe-inspiring in it. Then listen to the cd, one of his darkest, best works to date, imo. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012
    Alberto Iglesias Wins European Film Award for ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/12/01 … ldier-spy/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Alberto Iglesias Wins European Film Award for ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/12/01 … ldier-spy/

Christ, another award for that? This rapidly evolves to be the most overrated score in recent history. I hated that score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Go listen to some Elfman's sugar to get you back on track tongue