• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Alberto Iglesias Wins European Film Award for ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/12/01 … ldier-spy/

Christ, another award for that? This rapidly evolves to be the most overrated score in recent history. I hated that score.

Same here.

Actually I find most of Iglesias music suicide-inducing. What a depressive guy, for god's sake.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Alberto Iglesias Wins European Film Award for ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/12/01 … ldier-spy/

Christ, another award for that? This rapidly evolves to be the most overrated score in recent history. I hated that score.

Same here.

Actually I find most of Iglesias music suicide-inducing. What a depressive guy, for god's sake.

Still, it was fun to run into him in Ghent, when we both were very drunk. He didn't seem so suicide-inducing then. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. As often is the case sometimes it's the people who don't hang out on soundtrack message boards who have a better nose for the good music. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I adore Iglesias' music, i thought it was automatic for everyone else too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Just like how Jon felt towards Edward Scissorhands eh!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote

Still, it was fun to run into him in Ghent, when we both were very drunk. He didn't seem so suicide-inducing then. smile

Let me rephrase my statement, to be fair:

'What a depressive discography!'

Much better.

Nothing against him at all. The guy seems really nice and humble.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Just like how Jon felt towards Edward Scissorhands eh!? wink

Nah, it just some portion of a composer's work in Elfman's case. But here it's the entire body of Iglesias work we are talking about; I find his music sexy, charming, mysterious, never suicidal though wink have you heard kite runner ? Definitely not melancholic. I think you will like it Marcel, although he doesn't usually write as such.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Love his work. I think his Almodovar work is often tongue-in-cheek melancholic, if that makes sense. It obviously can get tragic at times (Che, The Constant Gardner), but also often has wit, charm and is sensuous and very intelligent. I LOVE his Piel Que Habito.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    have you heard kite runner ? Definitely not melancholic. I think you will like it Marcel, although he doesn't usually write as such.

I'll check it out smile

BobdH wrote
    Love his work. I think his Almodovar work is often tongue-in-cheek melancholic, if that makes sense. It obviously can get tragic at times (Che, The Constant Gardner), but also often has wit, charm and is sensuous and very intelligent. I LOVE his Piel Que Habito.

Maybe the fact that I'm not a fan of Almodóbar's filmography (with quite a few exceptions), for whom Iglesias has composed all the music (I think) is making me be unfair with his work. I mean, when I think of Iglesias, i think of almodóbar. Not a good connection.

I'll check out D's and Bob's recommendations though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012 edited
    A Spaniard who is not a fan of Almodovar whilst the rest of the world is? Hmmm...odd smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    A Spaniard who is not a fan of Almodovar whilst the rest of the world is? Hmmm...odd smile

I'm much more of a fan of other spanish directors. Julio Medem has directed some of the most beautiful, in all senses, movies that Spain has produced.

Almodóbar's world has never appealed me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not a fan of Almodovar either. Too intense and "theatrical".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I can appreciate his films, but I'm not a fan either. Which might be why I think La Piel is his best film, since it's the most unlike-Almodovar one.
  2. Actually I think almodovar is more popular abroad than at home.
    It is probably iglesias's most entertaining stuff although I like the dancer upstairs most of all.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    It's odd to me that he's most popular abroad...i'd think, that - with the few times i've been into Spain, he'd be very popular there for actually portraying in his films some of that Spanish flair and dark alley night lives moving in the shadows and dancing to erotic music wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    he'd be very popular there for actually portraying in his films some of that Spanish flair and dark alley night lives moving in the shadows and dancing to erotic music wink

That's a pretty accurate description. Specially the Spanish flair and dark alley night lives moving in the shadows and dancing to erotic music OF MADRID. Actually, Almodóbar became very popular in the eighties, in what is known in Spain as the 'Madrid Movement' (a sort of a cultural revolution), that took place in the early eighties in Madrid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    If it's accurate, like it seems and feels actually, then this is why i'd figure every Spaniard loves him smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013
    New Almodovar, new Iglesias

I am so excited
    (and literally)
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/03/02 … k-details/
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014
    Now THAT's exciting news: Iglesias to Score Scotts epic "Exodus"!!

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/07/08 … and-kings/

Very much looking forward to this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2014 edited
    You just beat me to it! I just saw the trailer and looked in the credits at the end the composers name up, and YES! AWESOME! So excited! Best composer decision of Sir Ridders in quite a long time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    WTF?! Iglesias? Where did THAT come from?

I'm a bit worried now. I've never liked his music, although it was fun bumping into him in Ghent 2-3 years ago -- both of us being in a drunken stupor.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Iglesias has proven he can score anything greatly. Why the worrying?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I guess because I've never liked his music -- neither for Almodovar nor anyone else. Kinda grating, minimalist stuff.

But then again, I was skeptical with Shore and LOTR too, and he succeeded marvelously, so I hope for the best.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Iglesias has proven he can score anything greatly. Why the worrying?

Because clearly Thor thinks Iglesias doesn't score everything greatly. And I kind of agree with him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Examples please? and why?
  4. Well, I'm not exactly an Iglesias expert, so take this with a grain of salt. The scores I have heard by him are The Skin I Live In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and I'm So Excited. The first of those is probably the one I enjoy the most (the first cue, "Los Vestidos Desgarrados", is the only Iglesias music I have in any of my casual listening playlists) but honestly, I'm not keen on any of them. "Grating, minimalist stuff" as Thor says describes his music well for me. He's a clever composer for sure, but there's not much to latch onto for me as a listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You haven't heard his most powerful scores to date, which are certainly not minimalist:

the kite runner
    the constant gardener
    talk to her

although the skin i live in is fantastic too but then again you didn't like it smile
  5. Skin I Live In was okay. I wouldn't say I didn't like it, it certainly had some interesting elements, but it's not exactly my taste in film music.