• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    News: "CHE" released on CD

From Varese Sarabande:

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Alberto Iglesias

Featuring the songs
    “Fusil Contra Fusil” performed by Silvio Rodriguez
    “Balderrama” performed by Mercedes Sosa

Steven Soderbergh’s CHE stars Benicio Del Toro as Che Guevara, one of the important figures in the growing Cuban rebellion led by Fidel Castro (Demián Bichir). The over-four-hour film will be presented in two parts: The first part charts how the two successfully built an underground army large enough to successfully overthrow the government of Fulgencio Batista, the second part focuses on Che’s life in the years after the Cuban revolution.

PART ONE: The Argentine
    On November 26, 1956, Fidel Castro sails to Cuba with eighty rebels. One of those rebels is Ernesto “Che” Guevara, an Argentine doctor who shares a common goal with Fidel Castro — to overthrow the corrupt dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista.

Che proves indispensable as a fighter, and quickly grasps the art of guerrilla warfare. As he throws himself into the struggle, Che is embraced by his comrades and the Cuban people. This film tracks Che’s rise in the Cuban Revolution, from doctor to commander to revolutionary hero.

PART TWO: Guerilla
    After the Cuban Revolution, Che is at the height of his fame and power. Then he disappears, re-emerging incognito in Bolivia, where he organizes a small group of Cuban comrades and Bolivian recruits to start the great Latin American Revolution. The story of the Bolivian campaign is a tale of tenacity, sacrifice, idealism, and of guerrilla warfare that ultimately fails, bringing Che to his death. Through this story, we come to understand how Che remains a symbol of idealism and heroism that lives in the hearts of people around the world.

Academy Award nominee Alberto Iglesias (The Kite Runner) provides the striking and powerful score for this epic saga.

Varèse Sarabande Catalog #: 302 066 929 2
    Release Date: 11/18/08

Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    CHE (GUERILLA and THE ARGENTINE) movie info:

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2008/ … he-cd.html

CD COVER / INFO / RELEASE DATE:

http://www.amazon.com/Che-Alberto-Igles … HEQFL7XLQK
  1. For me, CHE is one of the best scores of the year. Subtle, beautifully orchestrated, carefully dissonant, capturing the right tone between celebrating heroism and being cautious in praise.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    For me, CHE is one of the best scores of the year. Subtle, beautifully orchestrated, carefully dissonant, capturing the right tone between celebrating heroism and being cautious in praise.

so I'm guessing it is more the music of the second part of the trailer than the first part wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    I've heard it but it's a really difficult listen, long pieces of ambiance, slow-developing musical textures. I have to listen in way more depth to understand the musical idea behind it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    so I'm guessing it is more the music of the second part of the trailer than the first part wink

Oh no, it's got nothing to do with that misplaced, commercial-sounding trailer music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    Iglesias has been nominated to the Goya Award for his "Che" score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    I've heard it but it's a really difficult listen, long pieces of ambiance, slow-developing musical textures. I have to listen in way more depth to understand the musical idea behind it.

I love how willing he is to hover in the slightly-dissonant space between a small handful of instruments. He doesn't play the same trick from track to track either - there are fresh musical ideas in each one given the general concept.

I can see why people have mentioned early Jerry Goldsmith and the general ethos of the 60s/70s political score in connection with this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting observations, the latter ones. I will re-listen for sure, Iglesias always shows remarkable skills of writing for small instrumental ensembles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008 edited
    As I said before; it's a grower. You may not appreciate the music right away, but you'll get into it. I love the approach, I think it's perfect and rarely seen nowadays; a very intelligent and in a way old-fashioned mood piece that's not just drawing on soundscapes, with, as franz pointed out, a perfect judged tendency for the atonal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Agree with every word you wrote there, characterizing Igleasias work in general i'd say.
  4. I love the way that subtle dissonances, and then a very-unsubtle drone, overwhelm the fragile melody in the final track of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Alberto Iglesias writes concert piece for Dawn Upshaw

Spanish composer Alberto Iglesias, who has scored the majority of Pedro Almodóvar’s films as well The Constant Gardener and The Kite Runner, has written a new concert work that will headline a program with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and conductor Miguel Hart-Bedoya in New York on November 7.

For more info visit moviescoremagazine.com
  5. Great news. I'd like to hear what he does in a longer, less-reactive piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010 edited
    Alberto Iglesias won the Goya Award (the spanish equivalent of the Oscar) last night for his work on Pedro Almodóbar's "Los abrazos rotos" (Broken Embraces).

The other nominees were Dario Marianelli ("Agora"), Roque Baños ("Celda 211" - Cell 211) and Federico Jusid ("El secreto de sus ojos" - The Secret in Their Eyes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010
    Marcel, great news. Thanks for letting us know. Is there a link?

Also have you heard and can comment on the last 2 scores you mention?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marcel, great news. Thanks for letting us know. Is there a link?

Can´t find a video from the moment he receives the award, but at least a couple of pics

Christodoulides wrote
    Also have you heard and can comment on the last 2 scores you mention?

Celda 211 is the most atmospheric and experimental work from Roque Baños so far. Based on heavy percussion and synth work, I honestly think he didn´t deserve to be nominated for it. Don´t get me wrong, it serves the movie (8 Goya Awards by the way) really good (is what the film needed, a dark, tense, agressive, non melodic score) but, again, not a score I would have nominated.

As for the other one, The Secret in Their Eyes, I have not heard it nor watched the movie, so I can´t tell. But the fragments they played of the score when the movie received an award sounded really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010
    Thanks! I was not talking about a video link btw, but a text / article link on the awards and awarding Roque.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    I can´t find a link in english crazy

Scoremagacine's link (spanish).

More pics
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    TAMBIEN LA LLUVIA (EVEN THE RAIN) (PRE-ORDER) (CD)

cd cover

http://www.screenarchives.com/largeImage.cfm?TID=14656

Iciar Bollaín directs a Paul Laverty screenplay about a Spanish film crew that travels to Bolivia in order to shoot a film about Christopher Columbus’ arrival in the Americas. Once there the crew will be faced with the privatization of water by the Bolivian government and the ensuing revolt of the indigenous population. Starring Gael García Bernal and Luis Tosar, the film has been selected by the Spanish Film Academy to represent Spain at the Oscars.

The music has been composed, orchestrated and conducted by two-times Academy Award-nominee Alberto Iglesias (for The Constant Gardener and The Kite Runner), who has further composed over thirty film scores for such filmmakers as Julio Medem (Sex and Lucía), John Malkovich (The Dancer Upstairs), Steven Soderberg (Che) or Oliver Stone (Comandante). Alberto Iglesias is furthermore Pedro Almodóvar’s regular composer (Talk to Her, All About My Mother, Bad Education, Volver, etc).

For this motion picture, Iglesias has written a vibrant, powerful and highly emotional score, dominated by obsessive ostinatos in the string section and a wealth of solo performances by the harp or the ronroco which are used to highlight the fight of the people for a common good and the harshness of the landscape. The score was recorded at Air Studios in London and conducted by Alberto Iglesias.

1. COSTA Y SEBASTIÁN (1:31)
    2. AGUA SE DICE YAKU (1:45)
    3. ORO (2:24)
    4. PERSECUCIÓN (4:26)
    5. UN TRATO (2:08)
    6. LES VAN A QUITAR EL AGUA (2:11)
    7. BARCO (3:09)
    8. CIUDAD ASEDIADA (10:09)
    9. EL AGUA ES DE USTEDES (2:23)
    10. TAMBIÉN LA LLUVIA (2:53)
    11. LA GUERRA DEL AGUA (2:39)
    12. ESTO ES ARENA (2:04)
    13. NOS VAMOS, SEBASTIÁN (1:53)
    14. YAKU (5:01

SOUND CLIPS / INFO
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    New project for Iglesias, according to filmmusicreporter:

The Monk

French/Spanish co-production thriller directed by German director Dominik Moll (Lemming) and stars Vincent Cassel and Geraldine Chaplin. The Monk, an adaptation of the classic 1796 Gothic novel by Mathew Gregory Lewis, tells the story of Capucin Ambrosio, a pious, well-respected monk in Spain and his violent downfall.

"The Skin that i inhabit"

This is Pedro Almadovar's upcoming drama The Skin That I Inhabit (La Piel que habito). The film is based on Thierry Jonquet’s novel Mygale, a revenge tale that tells the story of a plastic surgeon on the hunt for the men who raped his daughter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    New score for IGLESIAS, released on cd. Check out SAE

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … MONK-2011/

THE MONK
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    the skin i live in, is stunning. The opening cue ( Los Vestidos Desgarrados) with its devilish solo violin and orchestra is the most impressive piece i've heard this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'll be listening to The Skin I Live In sooner or later. Even the Rain is brilliant, it's like Remote Control ideas in the hands of someone with extreme orchestral talent.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. I like them both... probably I lean a little more to EVEN THE RAIN, since SKIN I LIVE IN loses its potency in the second half. (First 7 tracks are great, including 2 wonderful source tracks - 'between the bars' and the electronica piece, the latter incredibly catching.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited
    It sounds a bit like Arvo Pärt a bit sometimes.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

A zillion times better than saying it sounds like RC.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never understood the big deal about Iglesias, to be honest. I've sampled a few scores -- and even have a couple in my collection -- but most of it is grating and directionless minimalism.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    I like them both... probably I lean a little more to EVEN THE RAIN, since SKIN I LIVE IN loses its potency in the second half. (First 7 tracks are great, including 2 wonderful source tracks - 'between the bars' and the electronica piece, the latter incredibly catching.)

I am the other way round. There are some really stand-out tracks in Even The Rain (I had to check which one this was as I am more accustomed to calling it Tambien La Lluvia*) but the lasting impression was not too great. The Skin I Live In (La Piel Que Habito as I prefer) is a much more lasting listen, IMO.

*And that's not the same as calling the pizza "Quattro Stagioni".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

A zillion times better than saying it sounds like RC.

There's a difference. Iglesias is actually a composer; and a great one.