• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    And I didn't suggest it either. Nor did I say that greed had anything to do with it confused Where did I say that? Or are you just assuming.

'Greed' has been the theme (and in one case, the entirety) of a few of your posts, so your gold standard remark seemed to come from a similar position. Apologies for getting that wrong.

On a pleasanter topic, I do wish someone would release Erich von Stroheim's GREED on dvd. It's due for a comeback, I think. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Short-selling's got little to do with it. It's become a popular target of anger because the perception is that very rich people got even richer from revelling in others' misfortune, but it's an extremely minor component of the whole.

People dealing in complex derivatives that few people, if anyone, and certainly not those people buying and selling them, can truly place a value on - that's far more dangerous.

(At work we had hundreds of millions "worth" of credit default swaps with Lehmann Brothers which was meant to secure against the risk of default on various corporate bonds issued by others; but the valuation of those swaps had never considered the possibility of the derivative issuer itself having credit risk. Easy to say that's clearly nonsense with hindsight, but apparently nobody had thought of it at the time.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm talking about being on a fixed income, having a little savings, and having that taken away from you. Do you know what its like to be homeless? I assume not. I do and help people who are in pretty dire straits and I don't have much money either nor much hope of returning to the work place. This is what I'm talking about. If in addition to being a soundtrack expert, film director, and a financial wizard you also have a degree as a social worker then I apologize to you. I have a long list of problems that you can fix.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Fair enough Tom, my scale of hardship has not been extreme in life, but that doesn't mean I can't relate to those who experience it. If I did, it would be stunning failure of imagination for someone whose mother has a degree in social work, whose siblings have a history of teaching in disadvantaged income area schools, and who until recently was dating someone who provided phone-based counselling when she wasn't at work. Like many people, I have an emotional immune system of sorts that helps me detach from a lot of suffering in the world, but that is largely so that I can operate within the world without be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the problems it contains.

But I'm not sure how this is relevant to my remarks about the causes of financial crisis? Whether I have the capacity for empathy or not, to say I don't know what I'm talking about in this area is wishful thinking. Believe me, I do know more than the average person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm talking more about the fact that these crooks are going to walk away from this whole thing. These individuals should be sentenced to delivering meals on wheels (at their expense) and changing diapers on people whose body systems have stopped working. On their day off they can pick up trash on the CA freeway system for Cal-Trans. Your family does know what its like to live in a shabby room in a retirement home which takes 80% of your $1000.00 check. And then the remaining $200.00 goes for medication to keep you alive.

One day your immune system will be tested too. It took a stroke for me to realize some of this. Otherwise I'd be at work shutting out a lot of it like you. Perhaps I've been given a new path in life to follow.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    I'm talking more about the fact that these crooks are going to walk away from this whole thing. These individuals should be sentenced to delivering meals on wheels (at their expense) and changing diapers on people whose body systems have stopped working.

The hard thing is to actually pinpoint individuals.
    The overall greed and collective ostrich tactics of an entire industry worldwide is to blame.
    This is why it will happen again. And again. And again.
    No personal accountability, even though many bankers now publicly state that "their whole industry should be ashamed of itself!" (note: the whole branch. Not they themselves personally. NEVER personally!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Your right of course Martijn but my disappointment runs deep in this situation. I'll let it go and move onto something more productive where I can make a difference.
    Thomas smile
  3. Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I'm talking more about the fact that these crooks are going to walk away from this whole thing. These individuals should be sentenced to delivering meals on wheels (at their expense) and changing diapers on people whose body systems have stopped working.

The hard thing is to actually pinpoint individuals.
    The overall greed and collective ostrich tactics of an entire industry worldwide is to blame.
    This is why it will happen again. And again. And again.
    No personal accountability, even though many bankers now publicly state that "their whole industry should be ashamed of itself!" (note: the whole branch. Not they themselves personally. NEVER personally!)

The article that the main character of Kundera's UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING wrote about King Oedipus and the communist party leaders would seem to apply. (Though of course, most private sector businessmen would deny they ever considered the public ramifications of their actions a responsibility.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    I'm just watching the news and they are talking about how 1.7 million people in the UK are out of jobs, and then they go on and interview some people that have been affected. One guy is saying how he's about to lose his house and car because he's overdue on his mortgage. THEN he mentions he's leasing his car.

Yes sir, you are in the shit, because you're stupid enough to lease a 28k BMW when you can't actually afford it. Why are you leasing it? Because you didn't have enough money to buy it to start with? Then what kind of security do you have if things go tits up like they have for you?

There was also someone saying how they tried to get a 150k mortgage. The bank said they would only give them 85% of the money and the other 15% would have to be the deposit. Then they claimed they couldn't even afford the deposit. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PAY BACK 150k WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN AFFORD 22.5K?!

This kind of people piss me off. No wonder you're in the shit. This doesn't affect me, but I'm 19 and even I have the commonsense not to buy what I can't afford. rolleyes

/end rant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008
    I owe nothing. I worry about being able to afford my medication and put food on the table.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008 edited
    Our government proposed resignation after a row of incidents concerning the financial crisis and saving one bank (Fortis). Everything this government has tried to do since 2007, has failed, and there are now indications that the Prime Minister tried to influence the court that decided to not validate the saving plan of the bank. I'm sure they'll try again now another time, with the same results. On the other hand, new elections aren't probably the best idea either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7792533.stm

And saying this all (and the things above in this thread) started with some guys at Lehman Brothers and other banks. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008
    The beloved US strikes again. I'm ashamed
  4. How?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    read about Belguim and the Lehman Brothers
  5. Bregt wrote
    Our government proposed resignation after a row of incidents concerning the financial crisis and saving one bank (Fortis). Everything this government has tried to do since 2007, has failed, and there are now indications that the Prime Minister tried to influence the court that decided to not validate the saving plan of the bank. I'm sure they'll try again now another time, with the same results. On the other hand, new elections aren't probably the best idea either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7792533.stm

And saying this all (and the things above in this thread) started with some guys at Lehman Brothers and other banks. sad

we live in a fucked up country, where bad buys have more rights than us, fuck the current goverment, we want a new one punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One can only hope that it will help Thomas
  6. sdtom wrote
    One can only hope that it will help Thomas

hehe, no I'm not that pissed off, but it is getting ridiculous, if this would happen in any other country everyone would be on the streets already

we just remain in our homes and do nothing, we talk about it but do nothing, that is Belgium in a nuttshell, too friendly, not patriotic enough
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I offer 5 euros for the whole country..
    But only if you include Antwerpian waffles.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Antwerpian waffles????

That does not excist! Only Brussels and Luik. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Offer rescinded then.
    Bye-bye Belgium! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This Bud is for you has backfired
  7. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Antwerpian waffles

A great name for a boy band - or a male voice choir.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They sound like they could be gross, yuk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Offer rescinded then.
    Bye-bye Belgium! wave

In that case my bid is 1 euro.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bluff.
    Brits don't know how to use Euros.

(Oh yeah, you wanna come into Euro country now in times of crisis after years and years of snubbing the European market...and now yo can't. But no worries. I'm sure Mr. Brown will save you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bluff.
    Brits don't know how to use Euros.

(Oh yeah, you wanna come into Euro country now in times of crisis after years and years of snubbing the European market...and now yo can't. But no worries. I'm sure Mr. Brown will save you!

biggrin Brits and their queens and their friggin sterlines biggrin tongue kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.