• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2008
    What is everyone's worst travel experience(s)?

By plane, train, automobile, boat, hot air balloon, jet ski, glider, skis, bus, camel, etc. (you get the idea)

At the airport, hotel, whatever.
  1. this season, we we're all booked to another plane, we learned this at the airport when we landed, the place was shit, the water was filthy and the ants were crawling on your body when you were washing yourself in your room, it was a clear sign I need better hotels nowadays

sadly this was at Corfu Greece Demetris biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ........!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    ........!

the country was lovely, that specific hotel sucked big time
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Crumbs! Where do I start? shocked wink

Cool thread and I'll be back to this one later.

I'll just say a possitive thing though. In all the flights I've ever done I have never had baggage go missing and only once did my flight get seriously delayed and that was only for 5 hours.

Compared to the stories of some friends of mine I've been very lucky.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2008 edited
    I once flew from Salt Lake City to Denver to Chicago to Lansing. The layovers were a little long, but worse than that was the wait on the tarmack (sp?) at O'hare. It was raining furiously and there was a huge line up waiting to take off. The pilot informed us that we were something like 31st in line. After some time (I don't remember how long, but I'm sure it was at least an hour) we were next in line. Then the captain told us that this runway was being closed because of the weather and all the planes were being directed to another runway. All the planes turned around to go to this other runway and the line up basically reversed. Where we had been first in line, we were now last. After another wait about as long as the first we were finally able to take off into the storm.

I was flying into Lansing, which is a tiny airport, which meant we were on a tiny plane. There was something like 15 rows of seats. Each row had a grand total of 3 seats--one to the left of the aisle and two to the right. I heard it refered to as a "lake hopper" which is essentially all we did. It's normally an easy hop over lake Michigan, but in the storm in our tiny plane we had the worst turbulence I've ever seen. I hate flying anyway (it makes me sick) so this was the least pleasant flight ever. Somehow I managed not to vomit (though I have done that on a plane before, but that's another story) and I arrived at the airport around 2 a.m. having left Salt Lake early in the morning of the previous day. The delays in Chicago ended up being 5-6 hours (I didn't even tell you about sitting in the plane on the runway for an hour before we even lined up, not sure if they were going to let us go at all). It was a long day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hate..........flying.................!?!?%#$)(%@)!????????
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

Flying is my most hated form of transport. biggrin It takes ages, it's really uncomfortable, and I really don't like the idea of being in tin can flying though the sky at 500 miles per hour cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    must........try,,,,,4@#)( not.........toooooooo....freakkkkk.....o...ooout! Hate.....flying...1@)%((~~!~~~~~!!!!!!!
  3. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    must........try,,,,,4@#)( not.........toooooooo....freakkkkk.....o...ooout! Hate.....flying...1@)%((~~!~~~~~!!!!!!!

I like take off and landing but I find the bit inbetween tedious except for the little times you see some great scenery or cloud formations.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The only part of a plane journey I truly enjoyed was while I was listening to "Escape From Peru" from Raiders during take off. The march came in the second the wheels left the ground. biggrin
  4. Great biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Anthony wrote
    The only part of a plane journey I truly enjoyed was while I was listening to "Escape From Peru" from Raiders during take off. The march came in the second the wheels left the ground. biggrin

I love when you listen to music and it seems to go along with what your doing. Like when driving somewhere or something. It is like it was composed for that moment. smile Fricken AWESOME! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I've had a lot of bad experiences, so I look forward to posting some. haha

I'll start with one that ties into film music. I've had to pretty much start my film score collection over three times. sad

When I was in middle school I was flying from Mississippi, to Tenn., to Orlando. I had the bulk of all my scores in my carry-on bag (an awesome collection for a middle school student if I don't say so myself). When checking in my dad made me check in all of my bags. This was before the $25 dollars extra rule. Anyway, by the time I got home I released that half the contents of my bad were missing. About 1,000 dollars total including Cd's, computer games, and my walk-man. The airline (Delta) would not pay for any of it. Minor setback though.

The second time was when I visited a church with my family and someone got into our vehicle and took my new collection (which was more impressive than the prior one).

Anyway... I'm ready for the next one. Bring it on!!!!!!! cool biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    Crumbs! Where do I start? shocked wink

Cool thread and I'll be back to this one later.

I'll just say a possitive thing though. In all the flights I've ever done I have never had baggage go missing and only once did my flight get seriously delayed and that was only for 5 hours.

Compared to the stories of some friends of mine I've been very lucky.

They lost my baggage once. They got it to me in a couple of days though. When I first talked to them they said it might take a week. Gesh! Why bother packing then?? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sounds like you should insure your CDs.
  5. omaha wrote
    I've had a lot of bad experiences, so I look forward to posting some. haha

I'll start with one that ties into film music. I've had to pretty much start my film score collection over three times. sad

When I was in middle school I was flying from Mississippi, to Tenn., to Orlando. I had the bulk of all my scores in my carry-on bag (an awesome collection for a middle school student if I don't say so myself). When checking in my dad made me check in all of my bags. This was before the $25 dollars extra rule. Anyway, by the time I got home I released that half the contents of my bad were missing. About 1,000 dollars total including Cd's, computer games, and my walk-man. The airline (Delta) would not pay for any of it. Minor setback though.

The second time was when I visited a church with my family and someone got into our vehicle and took my new collection (which was more impressive than the prior one).

Anyway... I'm ready for the next one. Bring it on!!!!!!! cool biggrin

$25 rule?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2008
    for every extra piece of luggage or for extra pounds i guess?
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    for every extra piece of luggage or for extra pounds i guess?

Oh, I guess it is the 25 dollar rule for extra carry-on. Nevermind. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the same thing with my "extra piece of luggage" then
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    indeed sir!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote

He clearly hasn't flown on an A380. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sailed to Bilbao on the 'Pride of Bilbao', a huge ferry that sails from Portsmouth to Spain over the notorious Bay of Biscay, during the 35 hour journey we hit a force 10 storm, in the morning the whole ship stank of puke.

That was great fun! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Haha, I have a great story about Naples. Our group went to Capri and our tour guides wanted us to get off at a place where we could walk back to the ship. They said it was a 10 minute walk, it turned out to be a 45 min walk. We jumped on the ship just as they were about to push off.
    During the walk the tour guide stayed ahead holding an American flag high in the air as a marker so everyone could see him. Imagine the sight of 100 something Americans walking down the street (we were on the sidewalk right next to the beach), people must have thought we were going to protest or something. A cop on a motorcycle kept asking us what we were doing.

haha , I guess it didn't help that it was July 4th too. No joke.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Sailed to Bilbao on the 'Pride of Bilbao', a huge ferry that sails from Portsmouth to Spain over the notorious Bay of Biscay, during the 35 hour journey we hit a force 10 storm, in the morning the whole ship stank of puke.

That was great fun! punk cool

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Oh Bregt, when I saw you posted in this thread I was afraid you had said that travelling with me to Bristol was your worst travel experience...
    wink

I think it was fun!

I haven't travelled much but long distances by car must be my worst experiences. Driving by night, trying to keep your eyes open, checking if the driver still has his eyes open, and only one stop every two hours... I think that's hell.

You know, when you finally arrive and have your vacation you forget about the way over there soon, but I just cannot deal with that feeling in middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and it seems to go on forever and ever. The best thing then is when you see the first glow in the sky of the sunrise that's getting nearer.

The way back home is always easier, it seems faster, also because we drive by day then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I hate flying. Since I'm tall and fat it's extremely uncomfortable. Add to this all the inconvenience of security (particularly in the US where I've just come back from - 90 minutes from touch-down to leaving the airport, it's pathetic) and the fact that as well as being extremely uncomftable there's essentially nothing to do, I hate it.

(I was amused on my last flight that a much-vaunted "widescreen HD entertainment system" showed its films from a video cassette which was in pan-and-scan, stretched out to fill the widescreen screen. Not quite the HD experience I was hoping for. And the films were all rubbish too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You hate the specific airline(s). Not flying!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Bregje wrote

I haven't travelled much but long distances by car must be my worst experiences. Driving by night, trying to keep your eyes open, checking if the driver still has his eyes open, and only one stop every two hours... I think that's hell.

You know, when you finally arrive and have your vacation you forget about the way over there soon, but I just cannot deal with that feeling in middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and it seems to go on forever and ever. The best thing then is when you see the first glow in the sky of the sunrise that's getting nearer.

The way back home is always easier, it seems faster, also because we drive by day then.

When I was in the USA and I drove back to Las Vegas from the Grand Canyon. It was the looooongest drive I have ever done. And worse, it was night and I was very sleepy. I tried to listen to some music on the radio but all I could hear was country or rap. It was making me crazy! But thank God, I managed to survive!