• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2008 edited
    It's Halloween time!! whooooooo!

List what you believe is the scariest music in your collection. If you had to make a mix-CD to prop against your window to add ambiance for trick-or-treaters, what would it be?

I'll kick off the ball:

The scariest music I own has got to be by far Joe LoDuca's Evil Dead.

In second place is Goldenthal's Alien3, and Kamen's Event Horizon. The latter of which I dub "music from the devil".

Randy Edelman's Beethoven's 2nd is pretty scary too, but for different reasons.

Thoughts? Opinions? Screams of fury?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    I want to give this discussion another chance by bumping it back up to the top. So, what are some of your favourite horror scores? Perhaps something operatic like Hellraiser, or something visceral like The Relic, or something intellectual like The Silence of the Lambs?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Nothing puts me on edge more than sounds (synthesized or real) that aren't used in conventional music. As I mentioned in NP yesterday - Brian Tyler's "Bug" for example.
  1. I prefer intellectual scoring - like Hannibal.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. POLTERGEIST

KRULL - THE 2 WIDOW TRACKS !!

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS - THE ABDUCTION CUE

ALIEN

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA

HELLRAISER

Some of my favorites, in that order.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    I can't believe what I just read! Timmer help me!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

What exactly did you read that has you so flabbergasted?!

confused

To stay on topic... some the creepiest stuff I've heard in film comes from the tracking of Krzysztof Penderecki's music in The Exorcist and The Shining!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What everyone thinks of so called scary music! Now if someone were to mention the Psycho shower scene cue? Or maybe Night on the Bald Mountain?
    Thomas smile

Plus I was having a little fun Sheriff Woods
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I CAN'T TOM! I'M TOO SCARED BY OTHER PEOPLE'S CHOICES!!! GZOICKS!!! shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    sdtom wrote
    What everyone thinks of so called scary music! Now if someone were to mention the Psycho shower scene cue? Or maybe Night on the Bald Mountain?
    Thomas smile

Plus I was having a little fun Sheriff Woods

They are used perfectly in horror films but to me listening to them does not scare the crap out of me.
    Some other good score are Silvestri's What Lies Beneath and some moments of JNH's the 6th sense and signs. There are moments of these scores that make me jump if I listen to them in the pitch dark or while running in the dark... something I miss doing since I moved. I used to live on a dirt road with forest all around. Running at night was peaceful, with wildlife, open night sky with no light pollution effecting it... *sigh*, now I just got da treadmill. Running in the middle of the night in Gainesville leads to muggings. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE VILLAGE
    THE SIGNS
    SIXTH SENSE

pure brilliance

and GOLDSMITH'S omen scores
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

What exactly did you read that has you so flabbergasted?!

Can't you see Tom was paraphrasing the famous last scene from The Fly?
    tongue

On Topic:
    Wow...I can remember having this topic over at SR. There was this kid who was really into horror scores, and it was a brilliantly fun thread, when he suddenly dropped out never to return.
    What was the kid's name again? "Uberjasonfan" or something...
    Oh well.

I still stick with Goldsmith's Poltergeist as pretty much the scariest cohesive score I know, though there are tracks from other scores that -as a standalone- scare/spook me more (like some material from Kamen/Orbital's Event Horizon, or some obscure game or scifi flick stuff).

I'll be giving Tyler's Bug a spin though on Anthony's recommendation. It sounds ...interesting (in a really ominous way).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Good call on Bram Stoker's Dracula, I forgot that chaotic track with the horse sounds. That is scary sh%t.

And yes, how could I forget Psycho. It's funny: everyone knows that piece, it's an intrinsic part of pop culture. I therefore expected it to show up the first time I popped in the CD. And yet, because of the brilliant "Herrmannesque" atmosphere that had fallen over the score by the time it came along, I still jumped out of my seat! It's so jarring with the rest of the score and its melodic ostanatos.

It's hard for me to consider Poltergeist so scary: it's so magnificently structured and paced, and, well, fun! Same for Alien. I think the scariest score Goldsmith has written is The Reincarnation of Peter Proud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

On Topic:
    Wow...I can remember having this topic over at SR. There was this kid who was really into horror scores, and it was a brilliantly fun thread, when he suddenly dropped out never to return.
    Oh well.

Really? What happened?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He suddenly dropped out never to return.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    That's creepy for someone raving about horror movies. Was there a little bloody emoticon left in his place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    March to the scaffold from the Berlioz work Symphonie Fantastique is another excellent one.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'll add another one. "Facehuggers" from James Horner's Aliens. Thank Varese for releasing the complete deluxe edition because without I wouldn't have one of James Horner's great cues in my collection. I don't think I've heard a creepier piece of film music. Maybe John Corigliano's Altered States, Jerry Goldsmith's The Mephisto Waltz, the G-O-D theme from Chris Young's Hellbound: Hellraiser II, John Carpenter's Halloween Theme, Lalo Schifrin's The Amityville Horror, "Pencil Neck" from Don Davis' The House on Haunted Hill , etc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I can't remember his name? He also had a different handle at FSM and MovieMusic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. sdtom wrote
    March to the scaffold from the Berlioz work Symphonie Fantastique is another excellent one.
    Thomas smile

I never found it particularly scary, rather epic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Did he drop out, never to return again from those places too?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Did he drop out, never to return again from those places too?

It seems so D ? It's a bit hard to tell with the amount of traffic that goes through FSM, and Movie Music has become an almost motionless board.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    POLTERGEIST

KRULL - THE 2 WIDOW TRACKS !!

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS - THE ABDUCTION CUE

ALIEN

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA

HELLRAISER

Some of my favorites, in that order.

Excellent choices Gilles. I also like Erik's choices too, particularly "G-O-D" from Hellraiser II.

Morricone's Exorcist II has some incredibly creepy tracks that would give anyone the jitters in a dark place.
  4. HeeroJF wrote

It's hard for me to consider Poltergeist so scary: it's so magnificently structured and paced, and, well, fun! Same for Alien. I think the scariest score Goldsmith has written is The Reincarnation of Peter Proud.

The clown sequence!!! It scares the bejesus out of me every time, on film AND on disc. And Twisted Abduction is so twisted I love to fear it.

Erik Woods wrote
    I'll add another one. "Facehuggers" from James Horner's Aliens. Thank Varese for releasing the complete deluxe edition because without I wouldn't have one of James Horner's great cues in my collection. I don't think I've heard a creepier piece of film music. Maybe John Corigliano's Altered States, Jerry Goldsmith's The Mephisto Waltz, the G-O-D theme from Chris Young's Hellbound: Hellraiser II, John Carpenter's Halloween Theme, Lalo Schifrin's The Amityville Horror, "Pencil Neck" from Don Davis' The House on Haunted Hill , etc.

-Erik-

Facehuggers yeah punk

What's that other cue with the silence and suddenly the loud crash... it's seat-jumping stuff if you're not prepared for it. I think it's 'Sub-level 3'.

And how could I forget The Omen with its spine tingling evil chanting? Goldsmith is GOD.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    PawelStroinski wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

I never found it particularly scary, rather epic.

haha, love the ending
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote

The clown sequence!!! It scares the bejesus out of me every time, on film AND on disc. And Twisted Abduction is so twisted I love to fear it.

Facehuggers yeah punk

What's that other cue with the silence and suddenly the loud crash... it's seat-jumping stuff if you're not prepared for it. I think it's 'Sub-level 3'.

And how could I forget The Omen with its spine tingling evil chanting? Goldsmith is GOD.

Actually, I never saw the film Peter Proud, but the music is indeed quite creepy.

As for the Aliens musical "stings", there's one more moment where they worked super-well for me: the first time I saw Willow and Madmartigan grabs Willow's tunic from behind hanging in the crow's cage, I jumped a meter off my seat. I'm sure 75% of it was due to Horner's "sting" in the score!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2008
    Herrmann's Cape Fear had some real creepy moments.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Blob 2....cant remember who did it but it kills me....it'd kill you too if YOU heard it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I really can't stand traditional horror film music, to be honest (with a bunch of stingers and all that). It has to be in a non-conventional style if I'm gonna pick it up on CD - such as the "delicious darkness" sound that guys like Goldenthal, Beltrami, Young excel at (the romantic HELLRAISER being a good example).

THAT SAID, the scariest score of all time is UNQUESTIONABLY Goldenthal's PET SEMATARY. I even have trouble getting through that and sleeping at night afterwards. Geezes, that creeps me out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    On Topic:
    Oh well.

Really? What happened?

Martijn wrote:

Hey, that's such a coincidence!! Not only did I have to think of the SR Halloween topic when I saw this one as well, but also: two months ago Uber-Jason added me as a friend on Facebook.

Really weird how that went. I had already forgotten that a long while ago I sent a friend request to his e-mail adress (I think we both sent him a mail once Martijn, after he was suddenly gone? That's why I had the adress I guess). Apparently he recently created a Facebook account and accepted the request that was already there so I suddenly had him as a friend. He's alright! But not as much into filmmusic anymore, just busy with other stuff. He says he still has his entire collection but 'sadly lost touch with filmmusic'. Oh well, he knows where to find us now, just in case.
    smile

So, alas, not a mysterious disappearance Halloween story here... wink

I even still remember my reply in that old topic. I had this disc from MillenniuM the TV series. With the main theme and tracks that were basically source music and clips from the series I guess. Very creepy stuff...

What also scares me is John Williams' chaotic action music. A bit disturbing to me. wink