• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008 edited
    Each of the 20 clips in this game are from films about Africa or set (primarily) in Africa. You get 2 points per clip for identifying the composer and film (total of 40 points to play for). I've tried to mix them up a bit so that there are not too many of them with ethnic themes.

Clips are arranged chronologically (some years may repeat)
    Send your answers as usual by PM

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2orZ … RTVjR0E9PQ

Hints

#1 A very famous piece! Jazzy, brassy and a lot of fun. You can almost imagine the baby elephants walking to this theme. The movie title means danger in Swahili.

#2 This composer has scored a number of Africa-themed movies with his distinctive lush, pastoral sound. That rising horn statement towards the end is a big signature giveaway. If you arranged the movies in this game alphabetically this would be the last one. British soldiers battle against African warriors in this one.

#3 A documentary about the history of the African continent (what could the name be?). Some of the audio material for this was misfiled along with the same composer's rejected score for a famous sci-fi film.

#4 Five years ago this composer and director collaborated on an award winning biopic about a non-violent political leader. They unite once again for yet another true story of a freedom fighter. This time it's about the apartheid era in South Africa. On both occasions the composer was nominated for Best Score but did not win.

#5 This clip extract is bookended by wordless vocals which would make the composer obvious. As for the movie plot I don't know what the laws of the desert are, but think of Lawrence of Arabia set in the deserts of North Africa.

#6 If composers came in different sizes then this guy isn't large. This movie is about an expedition to locate the source of the Nile river.

#7 Golden Globe winner for best score. A couple with a troubled relationship travel around north Africa. The dark tones in this clip suggest that it will only end up in them drifting further apart.

#8 The apartheid era in South Africa once again. This might remind you of another score by the same composer for an animated film (which was his only Oscar win to date).

#9 Central Africa. A lost city. Laser weapons and diamond mines. Apes and gorillas. Of course, it's yet another Michael Crichton film adaptation.

#10 A great hunter is asked to help kill two man-eating lions in East-Africa. Interestingly if you take clip #9 and remove the vocals, it is not too far away from this one.

#11 Forget US politics and Joe the plumber. Let's focus on Joe the Ape. Born and raised in Africa he's brought to Hollywood and goes on a rampage. Moral of the story-- let those mighty apes be where they are.

#12 Oscar winner in the foreign language category. A Jewish family escapes Hitler's Germany and starts a new life in Africa.

#13 British veteran scores for a BBC series on African wildlife.

#14 Why is it that the Media Ventures/ RCP folks are way better when it comes to the small budget movies? This film about a little orphan's journey away from his AIDS-afflicted village receives a charming score by two MV graduates (or perhaps just one).

#15 Africa is considered to be the birthplace of mankind. This TV documentary traces the journey of species through millions of years. By a French composer who appears twice in this game.

#16 Chances are that when you make an obscure movie about Masai warriors there will be a maximum of 37 people in this planet who might see it. It also means that no more than 5 people will ever be interested in the score. This little known composer ignores all those statistics and reaches for the stars with a stirring and passionate score.

#17 Talented Italian composer teams up with an MV graduate for this African Schindler's List set amidst the fights between the Tutsis and the Hutu.

#18 Little known German composer scores for a film about a "white African" who returns from a POW camp after the first World War and joins his ex-prisoners on a hunt for platinum.

#19 Yet another movie about the Rwandan genocide in this game. Recent Oscar score winner lends an elegiac air with the ethnic vocals over sombre strings. The score was released on the MovieScoreMedia label.

#20 This French composer has a number of ethnic themed scores in his filmography. A couple of them being-- a documentary about Ayurveda & a spiritual love story in the Himalayas. This film is about a little girl's journey through the Atlas mountains of Morroco to attend a horse-racing event. The composer has a distinctive use of ethnic vocals over long, dense, string sections.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008
    IF you don't have any CASAAR in there i am going to kill you! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. oohhhh, this will prove to be a challenge, yet I'll do my best to hear them the next couple of days smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2008 edited
    Although I know a few of them, I'm just looking forward to finding out what the rest actually are! Those are some nice clips.
  2. Great!! Another game - though I'm not sure how many I'll get (though I haven't yet listened to the clips).

Reading Demetris' comment above...if there are any Casaar then I'm stumped!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    I'll post the hints tonight when I get back from school.

Until then you get 2 bonus points for submitting guesses before the hints are posted

HeeroJF 14+2 points punk
    Antineutrino & FalkirkBairn 12+2 points
    Thomas 10+2 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    IF you don't have any CASAAR in there i am going to kill you! wink

A game on Africa without Cassar? Unthinkable wink

LSH wrote
    Although I know a few of them, I'm just looking forward to finding out what the rest actually are! Those are some nice clips.

Thanks! I was a little concerned about folks getting bored with too much ethnic chanting/percussion. Glad you like them.
    You should submit whatever you know for now.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Reading Demetris' comment above...if there are any Casaar then I'm stumped!

Well, Cassar has only two scores that made it on cd release. It's easy to figure out where he might be in this game thanks to the chronological arrangement wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    I'll post the hints tonight when I get back from school.
    More contestants in the fray as Peter joins Heero at the top-

plindboe & HeeroJF 14+2 points punk
    Antineutrino & FalkirkBairn 12+2 points
    Southall & Thomas 10+2 points
    omaha 8+2 points
    Ranietz 4+2 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    Excellent set of clips you've got here, BP!! beer punk

Sadly I recognise none of them, and one particular score I was expecting to be here was absent... tongue

But anyway, I'd love to discover these treasures! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008 edited
    Peter adds a couple more to move to sole lead. Zirael enters the game at 2nd place with Heero.

The hints have been posted (phew!).

Current scores-

plindboe 18 points wave
    zirael & HeeroJF 16 points punk
    Antineutrino & FalkirkBairn 14 points
    Southall & Thomas 12 points
    omaha 10 points
    Ranietz 6 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    DemonStar wrote

Sadly I recognise none of them, and one particular score I was expecting to be here was absent... tongue

Ah, I know what you mean. But don't you find something else that's similar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Ah, I know what you mean. But don't you find something else that's similar?

Yup, I got that one, but so far I recognised only 3. I'm definitely getting most of them once I find out what they are! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008 edited
    Thor smashes all the competition to move to 1st place. shocked
    Heero and Tommy jump several places to get the 2nd and 3rd positions.
    And a warm welcome to Demonstar who can surely earn many more points. wave

Current scores-

Thor 38 points cool
    HeeroJF 28 points crazy
    Thomas Glorieux 20 points
    dizzy
    plindboe 18 points wave
    zirael 16 points punk
    Antineutrino & FalkirkBairn 14 points
    Southall & Thomas 12 points
    omaha 10 points
    Ranietz 6 points
    Demonstar 5 points cool
  3. Thor smashes...

Sounds great biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    By the hammer of Thor.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    Wow, I increased my points from 12 to 22 without submitting any new guesses. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008 edited
    Thomas wrote
    Wow, I increased my points from 12 to 22 without submitting any new guesses. shocked

Oops. I thought both the Thomas' were the same. I'll correct it biggrin
  4. Thomas wrote

hey stay of my points tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Alan pulls ahead into 1st place and Southall is close behind. There's a big battle at the top!
    Demetris and Antineutrino jump ahead to fight it out in the middle.

Current scores-

FalkirkBairn 40 points
    Thor 38 points
    Southall 36 points

HeeroJF 28 points crazy
    Demetris 27 points shocked shocked
    Antineutrino 24 points cool

plindboe 18 points
    Demonstar 17 points cool
    zirael 16 points
    omaha & Thomas 12 points
    Ranietz 6 points

I'll let this run for a couple more days to give others (zirael? Peter?) a chance to submit more guesses. Who's doing the next game? Thor? Heero?
  5. I have a couple of things standing ready, but I don't want to hog each time a game, if somebody wants to host something, you may

but if no one has something, I can begin this monday smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    Southall is the first to complete the game, and Thor follows soon after. Alan needs just 1 more clip to complete the game. Zirael is within reach too.

I'll end this game sometime on Sunday.

Current scores-

Southall 42 points punk
    Thor 40 points beer
    FalkirkBairn 40 points crazy
    zirael 37 points

HeeroJF 28 points
    Demetris 27 points shocked shocked
    Antineutrino 24 points cool
    LSH 22 points biggrin

plindboe 18 points
    Demonstar 17 points cool
    Thomas 16 points
    omaha 12 points
    Ranietz 6 points

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I have a couple of things standing ready, but I don't want to hog each time a game, if somebody wants to host something, you may but if no one has something, I can begin this monday smile

Cool! Go ahead since no one else has mentioned anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008 edited
    Hey, that's unfair! Since Southall got those extra two points in the beginning (guessing some of the clips before the clues), I have no chance to catch him now, even though I completed all the clips as well!

OH, THE HUMANITY!

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I have a list of clips all ready for a game, if you want. Been getting pretty excited about it! Have you guys ever had an "animation" themed game before? Well if so, I promise you that several of these clips will be new (and pretty dang hard!)
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Weeeeeeeeeee! I'm last. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008 edited
    But you're first in our hearts. kiss

Maybe Africa isn't your continent. Perhaps another? Perhaps Antarctica? I'd love to see a quiz on Antarctica... How many films can possibly take place there??

1) This synth score's movie bears the same bloody name as the continent
    2) This one features aliens fighting in an underground pyramid with a sequel scored by Brian Tyler
    3) The documentary has penguins.

Wow, that's a short list...
  6. But the penguin documentary has two scores biggrin

Also there is a parody, not sure who scored it biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Two scores?? Does it? Wow. Groovy. I only knew of one. And a parody? Goodness me. How dareth mock the emperors!? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    I have a list of clips all ready for a game, if you want. Been getting pretty excited about it! Have you guys ever had an "animation" themed game before? Well if so, I promise you that several of these clips will be new (and pretty dang hard!)

Great! I don't think Thomas will mind if you go ahead this time.
    There was a game on Disney animations (hosted by Thomas and DemonStar) earlier but go ahead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    But you're first in our hearts. kiss

Maybe Africa isn't your continent. Perhaps another? Perhaps Antarctica? I'd love to see a quiz on Antarctica... How many films can possibly take place there??

1) This synth score's movie bears the same bloody name as the continent
    2) This one features aliens fighting in an underground pyramid with a sequel scored by Brian Tyler
    3) The documentary has penguins.

Wow, that's a short list...

Scott of The Antarctic - Vaughan Williams
    The Thing - Ennio Morricone
    The Last Place On Earth - Trevor Jones

Takes it up to 6 wink

Perhaps an ICE themed game? That covers lots of countries or scores that primarily take place in snow bound environments, an obscure example would be Elfman's A Simple Plan.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. HeeroJF wrote
    Two scores?? Does it? Wow. Groovy. I only knew of one. And a parody? Goodness me. How dareth mock the emperors!? angry

The parody is called Farce of the Penguins and is narrated by Samuel L. Jackson.

I don't remember the French composer name, but the more known American version was scored by Alex Wurman.