• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008 edited
    shocked

-----

Because you demanded it.

Because we improved the master.

Because it’s a great score.

Because it’s hard to keep the last man on Earth down.

This historic reissue of The Omega Man (FSMCD Vol. 3, No. 2) features a newly reconstructed master and is (at significant cost to us) an unlimited edition for the collectors—we could not stand by and watch clowns selling CD-Rs on eBay of our out-of-print disc and do nothing to stop it!

The new CD does not feature liner notes—only a six-panel fold-out booklet—but go here to read, for free, the complete original liner notes as well as new commentary prepared for this edition.

Join the Family today!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=10751

-----

I wonder what this does to the collectible status of the original LIMITED release and whether or not this will be a new trend with limited editions and audience demand.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2008
    How many Omega Man threads can we create?

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I don't know, but I hope something similar happens to some Varese titles, like "Predator", and all those eBayers get screwed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is it too bad that i don't particularly care? sad shame confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Yes -- it IS!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

You may not care about the score but what about re-releasing an already limited edition as a regular UNLIMITED release? Yes, it's been done before with Varese but aren't you at all intrigued at the possibility of seeing other limited editions resurrected from out of print hell?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't really know what i feel. I mean it's certainly not a bad thing but is it really necessary? Especially the fuzz? Just thinking out loud here.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Its kinda funny that on ebay the price of the Omega Man has dropped quite a bit, now this, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I have the original, but the collector in me wants this one too. I love this score, and I just noticed that Intrada will have another anouncement this evening. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You may not care about the score but what about re-releasing an already limited edition as a regular UNLIMITED release? Yes, it's been done before with Varese but aren't you at all intrigued at the possibility of seeing other limited editions resurrected from out of print hell?

-Erik-

ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!!!!

I personally couldn't give a toss about Omega Man's collectability, it's always been about the music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't really know what i feel. I mean it's certainly not a bad thing but is it really necessary? Especially the fuzz? Just thinking out loud here.

While I'm not fan of the score either it seems to be a very popular title and one that a majority of film music fans enjoy and wanted to own. Unfortunately, only 3000 were issued and it seems like there were more people out there willing to dump their hard earned money on CD-r's just to get the music in some shape or form. I mean, what if FSM released a score that you wanted so bad but unfortunately didn't get a copy before it went out of print? Wouldn't news of it's re-release just thrill and shock you at the same time? And wouldn't you be wondering what other out of print limited editions might see the light of day again. I mean, is The Towering Inferno next of FSM docket?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Its kinda funny that on ebay the price of the Omega Man has dropped quite a bit, now this, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I have the original, but the collector in me wants this one too. I love this score, and I just noticed that Intrada will have another anouncement this evening. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!

YOU. ARE. WEIRD!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

YOU. ARE. WEIRD! and Im not weird, just different.

-Erik-

biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

While I'm not fan of the score either it seems to be a very popular title and one that a majority of film music fans enjoy and wanted to own. Unfortunately, only 3000 were issued and it seems like there were more people out there willing to dump their hard earned money on CD-r's just to get the music in some shape or form. I mean, what if FSM released a score that you wanted so bad but unfortunately didn't get a copy before it went out of print? Wouldn't news of it's re-release just thrill and shock you at the same time? And wouldn't you be wondering what other out of print limited editions might see the light of day again. I mean, is The Towering Inferno next of FSM docket?

-Erik-

As someone who missed the boat on Towering Inferno that would be a delicious prospect for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

YOU. ARE. WEIRD!

-Erik-

biggrin

However, after reading the on-line liner notes I could see why hard core fans of this score might drop another $20 on this new disc because Lukas managed to find the missing organ overlays from the first release and add them to this second release. This second release is the definitive release of The Omega Man.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote
    I have the original, but the collector in me wants this one too. I love this score, and I just noticed that Intrada will have anoth$er anouncement this evening. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!

YOU.ARE.WEIRD!

YOU. ARE. WEIRD! and I dont feel like Im weird , just different.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    moonie wrote

YOU. ARE. WEIRD!

-Erik-

biggrin

However, after reading the on-line liner notes I could see why hard core fans of this score might drop another $20 on this new disc because Lukas managed to find the missing organ overlays from the first release and add them to this second release. This second release is the definitive release of The Omega Man.

-Erik-

Thank You. smile However I would like to hear how it compairs to the other one.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I also have the original first release and I absolutely love this score .
    Like moonie the collector in me wants to buy it yet again ... mmm very tempting ... can I resist ...
    I'll let you know ... lol biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Who composed it?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Who composed it?

Ron Grainer
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Funny how the last man on Earth is the the first one to make the first strike against the invasion of the limited editions. I think this is really it. 2008 was a year of expensive nightmarish "catching up" with all this limited edition craze, but FSM has finally taken the first step to put a stop to it. I, too, predict that Towering Inferno is next (which I personally don't particularly care about seeing that I have the 2-disc pressed boot with even more material than the FSM release), and if Intrada decides to jump on the bandwagon too, they have a crapload of errors to amend: Baby, Delta Force, etc. As for Varese, they would do well to bring back The Island, The Great Escape 2-CD, etc.

A good chance-taker could really make a killing right now by selling these titles on eBay now before they come back out at retail price... But that is indeed a chance to take.

And agreed: Omega Man is fantastic music.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Nice. Here's wishing for more reissues of OOP cds so that everyone gets a chance to check them.
    I don't recall liking this score much from whatever I've heard on SST. But let's see...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote
    I, too, predict that Towering Inferno is next (which I personally don't particularly care about seeing that I have the 2-disc pressed boot with even more material than the FSM release)

Sorry to rain on your prarade but a reissue of The Towering Inferno isn't going to happen anytime soon. Here is what Lukas has to say about the matter via the Omega Man on-line liner notes.

"One wildcard remains: what will people think when we ask them to buy The Omega Man all over again? Actually I know the first thing they’ll ask, and it will have nothing to do with The Omega Man: they’ll ask when we will reissue our other out-of-print titles like The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure. The answer is, not anytime soon. Those scores involve much larger orchestras and studio relationships that are no longer active for us."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like raining parades biggrin tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I like raining parades biggrin tongue

I can see that little statement coming back to bite you on the arse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin Possible scenarios, Sir?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    biggrin Possible scenarios, Sir?

I'm a Timmer not a Seer goddamnit! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Ah, scratch that Towering Inferno parade then. (not that it was a personal parade of mine like I said, just a prediction). And given the infernal nature of that parade, it's probably a good thing that it rained on it. Maybe Fred Astaire's girlfriend gets to live out the end of the movie this time around.

I'm saying that whatever re-releases are in their control, they'll probably take the opportunity to do it. FSM and the others. It's all a simple matter of supply-and-demand. They wouldn't have done it if they didn't think it would sell.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Powerfists over patience paid off. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Pity about The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure - but great to see a rerelease of an out-of-print limited edition. I'll even pick it up, never got the chance to order the original. Just when the annoying limited edition game reaches new heights for some labels - FSM does the exact opposite. Let's hope this becomes a practice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote

Powerfists over patience paid off. punk

cool beer