• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. It's certainly good to see the re-release of a previously OOP title from FSM. And I've certainly taken advantage of the availability this time round.

It seems like this route may cost FSM a pretty penny - and they've mentioned that it is partly to try and reduce the influence of all the eBay sellers trying to cash in on these limited editions. So, as well as providing an opportunity for people to have this music, FSM should be applauded for trying to tackle dodgy selling practices.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2008
    Just listened to the clips, and honestly this isn't a bad little score.
    I might be tempted. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Isn't it based on the same novel I Am Legend was based on?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It was.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There are three movies. I Am Legend, Omega Man, and The Last Man On Earth. Richard Matheson wrote the novel.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The re-release certainly put a damper in the "collector" market.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Good novel though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    The re-release certainly put a damper in the "collector" market.

Good!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    I do feel that this does open the door to further re-releases. Don't be surprised however if someone tests the water in the legal system. Unfound organ overlays are a pretty weak defense in terms of a difference between the two releases. From a legal point of view there was a misleading statement made when it says this pressing is limited to 3000.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    From a legal point of view there was a misleading statement made when it says this pressing is limited to 3000.
    Thomas smile

But that particular pressing WAS limited to 3000. This is a NEW pressing that it much different than the first release and is UNLIMITED.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    From a personal point of view you know how happy I am that they did this no matter what the reason. If I were in business now I'd sell as many CD's as I could knowing what is to come in the future.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you notice Erik I said the word misleading. It is likely legal. I say likely because I'm not an attorney.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    If you notice Erik I said the word misleading. It is likely legal. I say likely because I'm not an attorney.
    Thomas smile

Again, it's not misleading. That first pressing which is different than this new pressing was limited to 3000 copies.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You are misleading a person into thinking that this is a limited pressing. To be correct you might also say there could be further releases of this body of music. Or as I said on FSM just eliminate all mention of limited, the number pressed etc.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    But... surely there'll be different packaging, and the words "This pressing limited to 3000" will be taken out, no?? If they do that, I don't see how that can't be legal.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  4. I doubt anyone could successfully sue FSM, since the CDs are sold as if to end-users, implying no special treatment for those purchasing in order to exploit resale opportunities.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    anyone know when this is shipping?
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    You are misleading a person into thinking that this is a limited pressing. To be correct you might also say there could be further releases of this body of music. Or as I said on FSM just eliminate all mention of limited, the number pressed etc.
    Thomas smile

Here is the story just incase you DIDN'T read the on-line liner notes.

"For years I had sworn we could not repress the Omega Man CD because our rights had expired. This was true. We do not make most of our CDs limited editions out of some diabolical plan to scare up sales (although it does help in that regard). Most of the scores we release—all of the ones recorded in Los Angeles (and this goes for other labels too)—were performed by American Federation of Musicians players and we have to pay the union “re-use fees” in order to issue the recordings on CD. In recent years the union has become highly cooperative in making discounted archival rates for vintage scores—but there is a cap on the number of units you can make: 3,000. Why 3,000? Because when this deal was hashed out in the early 1990s—essentially facilitating the last 15 years of film score CDs, and almost everything we have of vintage titles in our collections—the participants (who included Fox’s Nick Redman and the AFM’s Sue Collins) estimated that 3,000 was the generally accepted number of soundtrack collectors in the world.

So this was a real (as opposed to fake) impediment to reissuing The Omega Man. What did I do? I remembered the advice of several people in college: if you eventually, one day, ever want to go on a date with a woman, you have to ask. So I called my contact at the AFM: I asked if we could do a second run of 3,000, or maybe 2,000. They started to work up a quote but it was new territory and would involve running things up the flagpole. How long this might take, nobody knew.

Then I had a brainstorm. I knew the Omega Man orchestra was not particularly large: I asked what it would cost if I just paid the reuse as if I was a “real” record company—not using the archival rate, but paying the full price (actually, a percentage thereof, as the union’s standard rates have gone down in recent years). And what do you know? It wasn’t that much more money than what a “second archival pressing” (which doesn’t yet exist) would have cost. Those folks in college were right.

So I picked up the phone (er, e-mail) and made another call: I asked Warner Bros. if I could renew our license. They said yes. (We love Warner Bros.)"

Nothing misleading there.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This bit mystifies me:

Erik Woods wrote
    I knew the Omega Man orchestra was not particularly large: I asked what it would cost if I just paid the reuse as if I was a “real” record company—not using the archival rate, but paying the full price (actually, a percentage thereof, as the union’s standard rates have gone down in recent years). And what do you know? It wasn’t that much more money than what a “second archival pressing” (which doesn’t yet exist) would have cost.

What is the difference between an "archival pressing" and a "reuse fee" pressing?
    Come to think of it, what IS an archival pressing?
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    This bit mystifies me:

Erik Woods wrote
    I knew the Omega Man orchestra was not particularly large: I asked what it would cost if I just paid the reuse as if I was a “real” record company—not using the archival rate, but paying the full price (actually, a percentage thereof, as the union’s standard rates have gone down in recent years). And what do you know? It wasn’t that much more money than what a “second archival pressing” (which doesn’t yet exist) would have cost.

What is the difference between an "archival pressing" and a "reuse fee" pressing?
    Come to think of it, what IS an archival pressing?
    confused

The archival pressing is the 3000 copies or limited edition. The re-use free pressing is an unlimited number of copies. Not sure why they used those particular words but that's the basics of it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhhh, that makes sense: an "archival pressing" (I guess) would involve a once-off fee for a single use (i.e. 3000 issues). A reuse fee would pay an X amount per musician to "buy off" (so to speak) rights into perpetuity.
    Now I understand.
    Indeed a reuse fee for a small combo might well be cheaper than a once-off fee for a title.
    Clever chap, that Lukas!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't care diddly-squat about any of those collector issues.

All I care about is the music.....and the fact that I sold my ol' copy of OMEGA MAN for a small fortune on ebay just a few months ago (because I needed the money)! Talk about timing! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Talk about timing! biggrin

That's probably what the guy who bought it is saying ,except he's usign a different smiley.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Well I still intended on buying this , and put it proudly next to my original, and on the ipod. biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Again, it's not misleading. That first pressing which is different than this new pressing was limited to 3000 copies.

-Erik-

A "limited pressing of 3000" could certainly be seen as meaning that that particular pressing is limited to the quoted number. But it doesn't exlude the possibility of a further pressing down the line. But up until now (with a few notable examples), a "limited pressing" has usually meant that it was unlikely that it would be released again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Down the road it will only be download which is a pay as you go system with the AFM.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I ordered it last nite, as Jeff Bond said on that other thread this is a companion to the original and Im looking at it that way, its a different score, eather way biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    moonie wrote
    I ordered it last nite, as Jeff Bond said on that other thread this is a companion to the original and Im looking at it that way, its a different score, eather way biggrin

You can make excuses and rationalize all you like, the simple fact remains that you're a maniac. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    moonie wrote

You can make excuses and rationalize all you like, the simple fact remains that you're a maniac. biggrin

Oh no excuses , I know that, hehehe biggrin a filmscore lovin maniac.
    Goldsmith Rules!!