• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited
    Here's the quiz on animation scores! Literally all kinds of animations were considered for this extravaganza: hand-drawn, CG, stop-motion. Various media are represented: feature film, episodic television, from a variety of different countries and genres. Some clips are positively impossible. I also played really dirty in a couple of them. But there's also a few easy ones in there. The clips are in chronological order, some years repeat. PM me your answers.

1 point for a correct title and 1 point for a correct composer. Hints are as follow:

1) Short feature that later became standard children's television fare. One of the most classic nemesis duo of that century.

2) French composer for this animated feature film based on a classic wild-west-themed French graphic novel series (hence the brilliant Morricone pastiche). A 2009 live action remake is planned with a composer who earned himself a post-2000 best original song Oscar nomination.

3) Voted one of two most beautiful animated movies ever made (with score to match, obviously), this film about freedom and tyranny was actually in development for over 25 years. The Imdb actually lists it as having been released four years later than I originally thought and so perhaps this clip should've been switched around with clip #4 to preserve chronology. This is a French film, but its famous composer hails from a few countries over to the east.

4) I really can't give a hint for this one, because if you perk your ears up carefully, there's a major hint already IN the clip!!!

5) The first of only three animated film efforts by this fan favourite (one of which blended animation with live-action), it spawned a direct-to-video sequel 16 years later scored by a well-known Haitian composer.

6) The heroes of this English-set sleuthing adventure are of the same species as the previous entry, featuring a score by a composer who made an appearance in the Africa game last week.

7) Classic martial arts/romantic/comedy Japanese series that ran for seven seasons featuring a gender-bending plot. Three composers contributed to this series, but the specific one associated with this track was part of the "hidden gems" game a few weeks ago. If you find the link to my website on my profile, you can see I've done costumes for two characters from this series.

8) The "kiddie" version of another blockbuster that came out the same year, produced by the same director as that blockbuster, who obviously didn't want a single audience member to escape the new craze he was creating. The composer actually already had experience scoring films featuring the large protagonists.

9) A sequel series of a long-running Japanese anime franchise that literally spawned the giant-mecha genre in the late 70s. My screen name is derived from the main character of this series. I've also made several costumes from this show. The composer created an opus for a 2005 video game featuring giants.

10) Animated adaptation of a classic French author's epic work, whose other famous novel has been a long-running Broadway musical.

11) In terms of deception and misleading, this clip is King of the Hill. Could the mood of this beautiful music be any more inappropriate for the juvenile antics of this infernal duo? You be the "Judge" of it.

12) This film was universally acclaimed even outside its native Japan, and its director, already famous for his other fantasies (most of which seem to revolve around the theme of flying), saw another of his films win an Oscar for best animated feature in the years that followed. The composer is often regarded as "the John Williams of Japan".

13) Everything up to this point in the game has been classic hand-drawn animation. This is the first entry to introduce a new kind of animation. This film is a remake of The Magnificent Seven (or The Seven Samurai), featuring very small creatures. Within weeks of this production's release date, a rival studio released another film with the exact same subject matter and the voice-acting talents of Woody Allen.

14) A severely under-marketed 50s-themed masterpiece. The scene accompanying this piece of score is probably one of the most emotional moments I've ever witnessed in all of cinema. The title character was entirely computer-animated using cell-shading, but the rest of the movie was hand-drawn. Its composer passed away prematurely a few years ago. "Where did this music come from," you ask? Easy. It came from outer space.

15) I've cosplayed the main character of this groovy film, in both his forms.

16) Almost everyone has guessed this one so far… do I really need a hint? Okay fine: two media venturers worked together on this, what would be the second of their three collaborations so far. This is also a different kind of animation than what's been explored so far in this game. Tim Burton likes this kind of animation very much.

17) Insanely famous and equally long-running anime series featuring ninjas.

18) German production featuring one famous composer native of those parts and two of his posse.

19) Just like above, also a composer of the same nationality as the project in question, this one British. If you stuck a certain royal title in front of this movie's name, you'd immediately think of Franz Waxman. The composer has worked on several BBC nature documentaries with names so excruciatingly easy to confuse with each other.

20) What I consider the best score of 2007, and since it's my game, what I say goes. So there. tongue Composed by the brother of another up-and-coming composer. This film featured the voice-acting talents of a pivotal figure who dominated the small screen throughout the 90s.

Clicking this link will either obliterate all of hell and creation, or take you to the set of clips.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    Been a while since I've played any of the games, maybe I'll give yours a shot JF?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Be my guest! smile

Oh snap, did I just give a clue with that one comment?

....or did I? wink
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote
    Be my guest! smile

Oh snap, did I just give a clue with that one comment?

....or did I? wink

Is it a secret? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008 edited
    The animation quiz begins strong with the following scores:

1) Miya 14 points
    1) AntiNeutrino 14 points
    3) The Grey Pilgrim 13 points
    4) Ranietz 7 points

Keep the guesses coming. A total of 9 entries were not guessed at all by anyone yet. Very mysterious stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Thomas Glorieux gloriously takes the lead, but not by much! What will the next frame reveal?

1) Thomas Glorieux 17 points moon
    2) Miya 14 points shocked
    2) AntiNeutrino 14 points angry
    4) The Grey Pilgrim 13 points rolleyes
    5) Ranietz 7 points sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008
    I will give this a try although I am guaranteed to perform miserably in this category. I have about 3 animation scores so I'll be happy to score 6 points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm giving this a try as well, let's see how much of my stuff it has wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BhelPuri wrote
    I will give this a try although I am guaranteed to perform miserably in this category. I have about 3 animation scores so I'll be happy to score 6 points.

biggrin and shocked

How come?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote

Not my forte but 'll probably have a go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2008 edited
    Hopefully this game will prompt several fans who aren't too versed in animation scores to go hunt down certain gems who are no less classic than most live-action pieces.

New ranking! Lots of new players, and we now have a 3-way tie for 2nd place! Something's gotta give!

1) Thomas Glorieux 17 points sleep
    2) Miya 14 points beer
    2) AntiNeutrino 14 points beer
    2) Southall 14 points beer
    5) The Grey Pilgrim 13 points crazy
    6) BhelPuri 8 points
    7) Ranietz 7 points
    8) DemonStar 6 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    Heero, I couldn't open the link for the clips. Could you load it to Yousendit or email it to me? Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Not sure why it didn't work... I just sent them to you through 3 emails.

And I guess since the link didn't work for you, then I guess the cosmos is now destroyed, eh? Gee, thanks a lot. angry tongue
  1. HeeroJF wrote
    Not sure why it didn't work... I just sent them to you through 3 emails.

And I guess since the link didn't work for you, then I guess the cosmos is now destroyed, eh? Gee, thanks a lot. angry tongue

I can't access the file either:

"The document you requested is not found on this server. Please contact webmaster if you have any questions."
    sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2008
    GHA!! I'm such a jackass. I accidentally deleted the file from my domain. Try it now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    I'm such a jackass.

Welcome to the club! I have a Gold membership card and everything.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    I'm such a jackass.

Welcome to the club! I have a Gold membership card and everything.

I invented it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    How do I redeem my MemberPlus points?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's non-negotiable biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Aw, but I so wanted to order that four-slot toaster!

And the rubber chicken with the pulley in the middle.

New ranking! Thomas Glorieux has corrected a little mistake and secured his top spot by one extra point, and Zirael joins the game by challenging DemonStar for that coveted last place position.

I'm thinking of posting the hints either today or tomorrow.

1) Thomas Glorieux 18 points dizzy
    2) Miya 14 points beer
    2) AntiNeutrino 14 points beer
    2) Southall 14 points beer
    5) The Grey Pilgrim 13 points crazy
    6) BhelPuri 8 points
    7) Ranietz 7 points
    8) DemonStar 6 points wave
    8) Zirael 6 points wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Alrighty, I'm posting the hints now! See above the edited first entry.
  2. I was hoping to get back home in time to try the clips without hints - but alas, no!

I'll get my guesses to you asap.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Or maybe I won't - trying to download the file froze my browser. So, I'll give this one a miss.

Two failed attempts at getting these clips is enough of a hint! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008
    Froze your browser?? That's not good! Want me to send them by email like I did for Zirael? If you want, write to me and I'll write to you back with the clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008
    I'll submit some more answers later. biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. HeeroJF wrote
    Froze your browser?? That's not good! Want me to send them by email like I did for Zirael? If you want, write to me and I'll write to you back with the clips.

The downloading didn't seem to like me using Opera. Downloading in IE seems to be working - so beware, Thomas Glorieux!
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

The downloading didn't seem to like me using Opera. Downloading in IE seems to be working - so beware, Thomas Glorieux!

oooooooohhhhh, hit me with your best shot. cool
    2 points for whoever guesses who said this tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    You did!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    Wait... how can I get 2 points if I'm hosting this game? You cheated me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008 edited
    Just one quick update of the points. New leader:

1) Ranietz 38 points
    2) Miya 32 points
    3) Southall 30 points
    4) Thomas Glorieux 25 points
    5) FalkirkBairn 18 points
    6) AntiNeutrino 14 points
    7) The Grey Pilgrim 13 points
    8) BhelPuri 8 points
    9) DemonStar 7 points
    10) Zirael 6 points

Every clip has now been successfully guessed at least once.