• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY #2 : MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN - Alan Hovhaness

Seattle Symphony conducted by Gerard Schwarz.

Excellent! cool

My copy of this arrived yesterday. Now I need to find the time to listen to it. If I don't like it, it's all your fault.

But my suspicions are that I will enjoy it.

Opinion here at this thread please Alan!? smile

I'll post an opinion as soon as I've had a chance to listen to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : ALEXANDER NEVSKY - Sergei Prokofiev

As D would say, no comment! cool

Not to be picky, I would give that one to the main NP thread smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ALEXANDER NEVSKY - Sergei Prokofiev

As D would say, no comment! cool

Not to be picky, I would give that one to the main NP thread smile

Yes I could have, but this is the concert work. In the same vein I always put Vaughan Williams Symphony 7 'Antartica' on this thread too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Whereas Profokiev would say:

IS THERE NOONE ELSE?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Whereas Profokiev would say:

IS THERE NOONE ELSE?

What, in a Scottish accent? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Verklarte Nacht-Arnold Schoenberg

My recording is the Atlanta Symphony conducted by Yoel Levi. This was done before his composing using the twelve tone method. It is a tone poem written for a chamber size symphony orchestra.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    NP : L.A. WOMAN - The Doors

I've always been a fan of The Doors, this album includes the classic Riders On The Storm in it's full near 8 minute version. cool
  4. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Whereas Profokiev would say:

IS THERE NOONE ELSE?

What, in a Scottish accent? spin

No. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2008
    Copland to Tom is Vaughan Williams to Timmer

NP: Symphony No. 3-Aaron Copland
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Copland to Tom is Vaughan Williams to Timmer

NP: Symphony No. 3-Aaron Copland

True! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008
    NP : LA MER - Claude Debussy

Wonderful! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Symphony No. 8Shostakovich

If you enjoy an interesting adagio this is one for you to listen to. It was written in 1943 about the horror of war.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Miss Saigon

I saw this musical on Saturday. It was nothing short of brilliant! And very moving!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Symphony No. 8Shostakovich

If you enjoy an interesting adagio this is one for you to listen to. It was written in 1943 about the horror of war.

I think every one of Shostakovitch's symphonies are great Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008 edited
    Listened to last night: Karl Jenkins - The Armed Man: A Mass For Peace

Not the masterpiece I might've been expecting, but very good nonetheless. I don't actually know what my expectations were... I might be able to give a better reaction later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    NP : BLUE LINES - Massive Attack

Maybe not as refined and mature as later works but it's still my favourite Massive Attack album. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    NP : PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION - Modest Mussorgsky

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MOON SAFARI - Air

One of the best 'chilled out' albums ever, right up their with Moby's 'Play' and Zero 7's 'Simple Things', I love it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Johnny Cash at San Quentin

Amazing, just amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2008 edited
    NP : SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND - The Beatles

Deservedly called a classic, this is excellent! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    NP: LIVE AT 25 (Steppenwolf)

Straight-ahead, no-nonsense rock'n'roll! punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008 edited
    NP: ITAIPU - Philip Glass

Majestic, soothing, empowering and grand, this is great stuff. Just what I needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    NP: PARIS (Supertramp)

Unquestionably their best live performance (1980), the band at their creative height with all members intact. Fantastic stuff!!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    NP: ITAIPU - Philip Glass

Majestic, soothing, empowering and grand, this is great stuff. Just what I needed.

The 3rd movement The Dam is mindblowing! Anything less than LOUD! is pointless with this work, loveit, absolutely brilliant and I'll take this over any and ALL film scores Glass has done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Completely agree, that work is simply awesome! I have been having the latest Glass score (Cassandra's dream) sitting on my hard disk for a while and although something tells me it won't be AS good, still i badly want to listen to it as soon as i find the time! Anyone?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Completely agree, that work is simply awesome! I have been having the latest Glass score (Cassandra's dream) sitting on my hard disk for a while and although something tells me it won't be AS good, still i badly want to listen to it as soon as i find the time! Anyone?

I haven't heard it D, but let us know what it's like?

p.s. I hope it's the Salonen recording of ITAIPU you have? Although I think Robert Shaw's version is played better the actual recording is so bad it sounds like a boot. Unfortunately it's the only album that contains the Glass work THE CANYON, a brilliantly complex work that would take all Glass nay-sayers by surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008 edited
    Well, you already told me that before I purchased my version, but I still opted for the original recording, the Shaw version. And I don't know how you heard this one (did you hear an originally pressed CD?), but it sounds excellent! Don't have any trouble whatsoever with it sounding like a boot, or anything. What specific complaints did you have? Never heard the other recording of it, but this sounds great, with very clear sound, be it a bit mixed with a low volume (which is fixed by turning my own volume up wink).

Btw, the reason I opted for the Robert Shaw version was not because I didn't care for your advice (actually, I did search for the other one!), but here in Holland, this is the only one available smile.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mine is an original pressed copy Bob, but you're right, it's the low volume that bugs me so much.

The Salonen recording is far superior.

As I said though, the Shaw is a 'must have' due to the inclusion of The Canyon.
  5. Timmer wrote
    ...it's the low volume that bugs me so much.

Is there a convention that CD producers work to when setting the volume levels on CDs? Sometimes it loud, sometimes it low, sometimes it's in the middle!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Verklarte Nacht-Arnold Schoenberg

My recording is the Atlanta Symphony conducted by Yoel Levi. This was done before his composing using the twelve tone method. It is a tone poem written for a chamber size symphony orchestra.

Good! 'Cause if it was recorded after the 12-note shift, i'd be asking you how much they paid you to listen to that wink tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.